• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

Chit-Chat: On Tuesdays Oryx and Triforce think it's Wednesday

Status
Not open for further replies.

Nathan

Blade of Justice
    Years
    When it comes to credit cards, since I don't have one I don't have to worry about getting charged to a line of credit when It comes to purchases. One card I have is a debit card. So when I make purchases with it, the money gets drawn from my checking account.

That's the kind of card I like. You spend what you actually have.

Oryx

CoquettishCat
    Years
    • Age 31
    • Seen Jan 30, 2015
    Originally I had my credit card to just raise my credit, and it autopaid every month from my debit account, but it was very convenient when I was supposed to get 2k to move and my job didn't give it to me until a month after I started working but I needed to put down 1500 on an apartment before I got there. :) That counts as an emergency though!

Never giving up this card even though it's in a super inconvenient bank because the credit limit is so high that I know I don't have to worry about ever having a major emergency and needing a few thousand like an illness/injury or something that causes me to lose my job or car issues or rental issues. Nice to have that little cushion just in case. Most cards for people of my age are much lower credit limits though so the cushion is much smaller :(

Klippy

L E G E N D of
    Years
    It cost me $3600 for my apartment in San Francisco, but that's one city known only for its unreasonable prices.

Chicago is not cheap either though. My aunt lives there and originally had to live with three coworkers before she was given funds by her company to buy a place for herself and her daughter to live.

Years
    • Seen May 9, 2024
    I really don't see the point in having a credit card that I'm not reserving exclusively for emergencies. What's the point in a system of borrowing money and then paying it back with interest when you could spend money you'd already have in the same time frame just as well?
    To build credit when you need to borrow money and pay it back.

If you pay it back quickly, you don't have to worry about interest. Just use it for small things. A pack of gum, a soda, etc. and then pay it off. Then that goes to your credit report, and you build credit.

I think a lot of people misconceive the whole credit card thing. Yeah, a lot of people use it for big purchases that they can't afford, but those are also the people who are misusing it and will struggle paying it off.

It cost me $3600 for my apartment in San Francisco, but that's one city known only for its unreasonable prices.

Chicago is not cheap either though. My aunt lives there and originally had to live with three coworkers before she was given funds by her company to buy a place for herself and her daughter to live.
    What job do you have?!?

Klippy

L E G E N D of
    Years
    What job do you have?!?

I worked for FedEx up there. I made about $13/hr, but my rent per month was $1600, not including utilities. The good part was that our place was huge compared to what others have and our rent was on the lower end for a two bedroom "in-law" unit. I have friends that pay $3000 a MONTH for their place and theirs is much smaller than ours. Rent sucks in SF and many of the landlords screw people price-wise because living in San Francisco is in such high demand that people will pay anything.

I've graduated now, so I moved back to LA in June. All my stress has been lifted. :P

Years
    • Seen May 9, 2024
    I worked for FedEx up there. I made about $13/hr, but my rent per month was $1600, not including utilities. The good part was that our place was huge compared to what others have and our rent was on the lower end for a two bedroom "in-law" unit. I have friends that pay $3000 a MONTH for their place and theirs is much smaller than ours. Rent sucks in SF and many of the landlords screw people price-wise because living in San Francisco is in such high demand that people will pay anything.

I've graduated now, so I moved back to LA in June. All my stress has been lifted. :P
    How did you manage to pay that off???

I was making about $11/hour at my last job, and when I moved out, my rent was about $625, and including utilities it was about $700 depending on the month and I was scarping the barrel on that. But I also had car payments I had to take care of as well, which was about $500 a month.

Klippy

L E G E N D of
    Years
    How did you manage to pay that off???

I was making about $11/hour at my last job, and when I moved out, my rent was about $625, and including utilities it was about $700 depending on the month and I was scarping the barrel on that. But I also had car payments I had to take care of as well, which was about $500 a month.

By sheer willpower and determination! I spent every day working and going to school. I did a lot of evening classes (spent a lot of time sleeping in those), then worked and did homework on lunches. I didn't have any personal time beyond what I used to rest and eat, at least for the first year and a half. I never had spending money except for groceries, as the rest went to rent.

My final semester, when I wrote my thesis, I cut back my hours and had enough saved up to afford to do so. I spent more time working on my thesis, but less at work. I was able to go see some city sights and enjoy it a bit more, but overall didn't get a great experience living there like many would.

Oryx

CoquettishCat
    Years
    • Age 31
    • Seen Jan 30, 2015
    What kind of apartment in Chicago has a $1,500 down payment? The city isn't really reputatious for it's class. o_O

It was because I moved in at the end of the month, so I had to pay a full month's rent plus the prorated end of the month. Cities are expensive no matter where you are - even in the suburbs it's 975 for a small one-bedroom as opposed to 550 for the bigger place my boyfriend has in Indiana. e: Also idk if this was clear but about 1000 of that meant I didn't pay rent the next month so the deposit itself wasn't bad, I just needed a lot of money up front which I was then able to pay off within the month haha.

My friend is in San Francisco for $2000/month right now. I was jealous that her starting income was so much higher than mine (I know I know I am terrible blurgh) but when you include living expenses it's basically the same because rent is so different. Of course, I'm not including the mental toll of living so far from the ocean...

Alexander Nicholi

what do you know about computing?
    Years
    It was because I moved in at the end of the month, so I had to pay a full month's rent plus the prorated end of the month.
    Oi. I was so frustrated when we had to do that when moving out of Colorado since my mother left after the beginning of the month we had to pay for 27 days of time we weren't going to even be there. We were so strapped on the road, not to mention in St. Louis our front right tire blew out and thankfully someone stopped on the highway and helped us. The donut ****ed up our axle bad >_>

My uncle Joey lived in San Fransisco for years as a contractor for a firm that did architecture for communications towers. As you may guess you can only build so many of those before they lay off most of their employees, so he ended up going to Sacramento, and it sucked there bad compared to SF. :/

TRIFORCE89

Guide of Darkness
    Years
    I really don't see the point in having a credit card that I'm not reserving exclusively for emergencies. What's the point in a system of borrowing money and then paying it back with interest when you could spend money you'd already have in the same time frame just as well?
    I just used my credit card to buy gas. When it shows up on my statement in a few days, I'm paying it off in full.

No interest.

If you use like that then it's just a way of measuring that you can pay things of. Which is useful if you want to buy a house eventually.

TheFattestSnorlax

New year, new possibilities
    Years
    Hey come check out what we are doing in the 3d printing community regarding pokemon and blow your mind one more time this summer before school starts up again!!!

You can check us out if you go to youtube and search under 3d proshare, we have some great stuff out already in just our first couple of weeks, let me know what you think on the channel, but not here. Lets keep this strictly to the subject.

I am sure there is a better place to say that.

Alexander Nicholi

Years
    I just used my credit card to buy gas. When it shows up on my statement in a few days, I'm paying it off in full.

No interest.

If you use like that then it's just a way of measuring that you can pay things of. Which is useful if you want to buy a house eventually.
    Both mortgages and reverse mortgages are a ripoff, since in both cases your death puts it in their name regardless of who owns it, for one thing. Also they like to milk you for money by offering refinancing plans that cost less in the short term but bring in so much more in the long-term. **** them, and **** their scams. I try to be as least involved as possible with these Monopoly players who slip themselves 500s out of the box – no one likes cheaters, but unfortunately it's kind of hard to quit life unlike a board game. Here's an idea: stop them from cheating and reset their assets. How does that sound? :/

The only bone I can ever really give the "credit" system is renting an apartment, but then again my mother's been living around for years with none to speak of and has rented from plenty of people. Isn't it interesting that the richer you are the less you have to worry about an imaginary number that says how faithful you are with money? Wealthy folks could not pay things back, sure, but unlike most people they don't have other financial worries to have a reason not to. It's a win-lose! Guess who's losing?

El Héroe Oscuro

IG: elheroeoscuro
    Years
    If you pay off everything in full without delay, then you won't be charged interest. It's all about micromanaging your expenses and making sure you don't go mall-happy and go crazy withe card. With control and wise decision making, you'll be just fine using credit cards for things other than just emergencies.

Alexander Nicholi

Years
    If you pay off everything in full without delay, then you won't be charged interest. It's all about micromanaging your expenses and making sure you don't go mall-happy and go crazy withe card. With control and wise decision making, you'll be just fine using credit cards for things other than just emergencies.
    Um, why not just refrain from taking the chance? Why not spend money you actually have and not be fooling with credit card bills? It's like having your money 5 minutes early; if you're able to consistently pay the bills and avoid interest, what's the reason we're borrowing to begin with? We have the money to afford the things we're using credit for, right? It's redundant.

Oh, and I also remembered in addition to what I said about the relations to credit and apartment renting. There are other methods of verifying you're not a total bum besides a debt management score, such as a reference from your previous landlord or landlady, a co-signature from friends (or maybe family), an employment resumé… yeah.

Years
    Eh. I have a credit card and I use it more than I should, but I make pretty good payments on it most of the time. Sometimes, I need things that I just don't want to trouble my bank account with. I tend to use it for larger purchases like airplane tickets/etc.

Years
    • Seen May 9, 2024
    Um, why not just refrain from taking the chance? Why not spend money you actually have and not be fooling with credit card bills? It's like having your money 5 minutes early; if you're able to consistently pay the bills and avoid interest, what's the reason we're borrowing to begin with? We have the money to afford the things we're using credit for, right? It's redundant.

Oh, and I also remembered in addition to what I said about the relations to credit and apartment renting. There are other methods of verifying you're not a total bum besides a debt management score, such as a reference from your previous landlord or landlady, a co-signature from friends (or maybe family), an employment resumé… yeah.
    Employment resume doesn't really help you with securing an apartment when you go to legit apartment complex renting an apartment. It just shows that you're employed, which is something that they want to see anyway. They'll also ask for pay stubs to see how much you make.

Also, regarding a co-signer, most people don't want to co-sign, or are at the very least very reluctant to do so. Co-signing binds that person to become responsible for the bills you can't pay if you fail to do so, and it affects their credit if they choose not to. Not to mention, if you're a fully grown adult, you're more than likely going to want to be able to get an apartment on your own.

But these things don't usually apply when you're looking for an apartment privately through the owner directly, unless they're really strict. And if your credit isn't up to par, usually they'll let you live there with an added security deposit.

You also need credit for things like cell phone contracts if you're interested in one of those. If you don't have enough credit, they'll add a security deposit ranging from $100 (Sprint was that) to $500 (AT&T had that when I was looking at carriers before I had any credit), though I'm sure there are some companies that have a lower security deposit.

Alexander Nicholi

Years
    Employment resume doesn't really help you with securing an apartment when you go to legit apartment complex renting an apartment. It just shows that you're employed, which is something that they want to see anyway. They'll also ask for pay stubs to see how much you make.
    There should be a Contact Us link at the bottom of this page, so you can tell ApartmentRatings.com that it's not useful in securing trust in tenecy.

Also, regarding a co-signer, most people don't want to co-sign, or are at the very least very reluctant to do so. Co-signing binds that person to become responsible for the bills you can't pay if you fail to do so, and it affects their credit if they choose not to. Not to mention, if you're a fully grown adult, you're more than likely going to want to be able to get an apartment on your own.
    What kind of friends do you have?

But these things don't usually apply when you're looking for an apartment privately through the owner directly, unless they're really strict. And if your credit isn't up to par, usually they'll let you live there with an added security deposit.
    It's almost a requirement for success in this world to know a guy, yeah.

You also need credit for things like cell phone contracts if you're interested in one of those. If you don't have enough credit, they'll add a security deposit ranging from $100 (Sprint was that) to $500 (AT&T had that when I was looking at carriers before I had any credit), though I'm sure there are some companies that have a lower security deposit.
    Virgin Mobile and Cricket had nothing of the sort, unless you're talking in regards to phone subsidization, in which that would make sense. If you don't pay your phone bill (provided you've paid for and own the phone), they cut your service and you lose your number, simple as that. Phone subsidies are a means of credit in a way too, so I'd expect them to want a means of trust out of you under those circumstances.

Years
    • Seen May 9, 2024
    What kind of friends do you have?

The responsible kinds with their own financial obligations and concern for their future. There's a lot of dangers and consequences to cosigning a lease for someone.

Though I never had to ask for a cosigner for anything I've needed credit for. My credit score is good enough to qualify for the things I've applied for.

Virgin Mobile and Cricket had nothing of the sort, unless you're talking in regards to phone subsidization, in which that would make sense. If you don't pay your phone bill (provided you've paid for and own the phone), they cut your service and you lose your number, simple as that. Phone subsidies are a means of credit in a way too, so I'd expect them to want a means of trust out of you under those circumstances.

Those aren't plans that include a 2 year contract.

Status
    Not open for further replies.
    Back