• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

Chit-Chat: On Tuesdays Oryx and Triforce think it's Wednesday

Status
Not open for further replies.

Alexander Nicholi

what do you know about computing?
    Years
    The responsible kinds with their own financial obligations and concern for their future. There's a lot of dangers and consequences to cosigning a lease for someone.
    I hate to sound corny, but what are friends for? Supporting each other, being there to talk to and having a helping hand when their friends need it. Don't they teach that on public programming or something? I'm not a regular viewer of PBS so I can't be certain.

Though I never had to ask for a cosigner for anything I've needed credit for. My credit score is good enough to qualify for the things I've applied for.
    If you're not the close-knit kind of person, then that's your social life. It's not out the window for everyone, though. Some people have known each other since they can remember and would be down for that and more. It's all who you are… I guess? >.>

Those aren't plans that include a 2 year contract.
    What's your point?

Oryx

CoquettishCat
    Years
    • Age 31
    • Seen Jan 30, 2015
    I think the more important question is if people are literally using it as a debit card, never charging more than they have and paying it off before they have to pay any interest, and there's a benefit to using it (whether it's rewards or better credit in the future in case of emergencies), why is it a bad idea? Most people have enough self control to not spend more than they have so the "chance" of them going ~crazy~ isn't really an issue.

I try to plan my life in a way that if things went catastrophically wrong suddenly, I would be able to land on my feet. That means getting good credit even if my income is enough for whatever I want, saving money even though I don't need it yet, making purchases designed to last long-term even if the short-term option is cheaper upfront, and making sure that I can rely on myself in case someone else won't or can't pull through to help me out. Ideally, my credit will never be an issue, I'll keep my nest egg in a bank account without needing it, nothing I own will ever break down before I get what I need out of it, and people will always be by my side to help me out. But real life doesn't always work that way, so it's only logical to do all you can to cushion a blow.

No effort + no extra cost + no risk + increased security = a good deal.

Alexander Nicholi

Years
    I think the more important question is if people are literally using it as a debit card, never charging more than they have and paying it off before they have to pay any interest, and there's a benefit to using it (whether it's rewards or better credit in the future in case of emergencies), why is it a bad idea? Most people have enough self control to not spend more than they have so the "chance" of them going ~crazy~ isn't really an issue.

I try to plan my life in a way that if things went catastrophically wrong suddenly, I would be able to land on my feet. That means getting good credit even if my income is enough for whatever I want, saving money even though I don't need it yet, making purchases designed to last long-term even if the short-term option is cheaper upfront, and making sure that I can rely on myself in case someone else won't or can't pull through to help me out. Ideally, my credit will never be an issue, I'll keep my nest egg in a bank account without needing it, nothing I own will ever break down before I get what I need out of it, and people will always be by my side to help me out. But real life doesn't always work that way, so it's only logical to do all you can to cushion a blow.

No effort + no extra cost + no risk + increased security = a good deal.
    It was really fun reading your post in the style of… William Shatner. I felt better about the whole thing almost immediately knowing that… the… captain of the Starship Enterprise was there to… explain things in a way that I could… understand.

Eh, in all seriousness though, you do make some good points. It's the idea of credit being needed in a society that's been without it for hundreds of years and been just fine without it that bothers me. Surely we as a species had ways to trust strangers financially before credit scores, right? I think it'd be better that way, since credit scores are only a thing to really ever worry about in the eyes of the lower and middle classes. It's a plutocratic separation… I don't like the idea of that.

Oryx

CoquettishCat
    Years
    • Age 31
    • Seen Jan 30, 2015
    You should've seen it coming Dipu like an atom bomb.

DJTiki

top 3 most uninteresting microcelebrities
    Years
    Ladies and germs, I present to you a condensed version of Lemony Snicket's A Series of Unfortunate Events: paraphrased by CarcharOdin.

I got a few chapters into the first book and soon realized it's never going to get better, since no matter how many shreds of hope the author puts in your face it just keeps getting worse. I promptly closed the book and burned it along with all my other good literature pieces like the devout religious man I am, and since I didn't finish it I can't be certain, but I have a feeling everyone dies. The end.

Doesn't deny that the series is kickass. I read it a million times, I won't spoil anything for you. You said you were on the first book, well....you have 12 more to go :p. If you want a quick breakdown on the forst 4 books, watch the Nickelodeon movie on it.

CoffeeDrink

GET WHILE THE GETTIN'S GOOD
    Years
    Checking your credit can potentially harm your credit.

Enough of credit cards! The Warsmith demands action! Let's talk about how we take our favorite drinks instead! I take mine. . .

I also just occurred to me that several of you are not within drinking age. . .

Last edited:

Alexander Nicholi

Years
    The same point I made in my original post. You need credit in order to get a phone on a contract and if you don't have it then you need a security deposit.
    Okay, that's all great and wonderful, but you can easily get a no-contract phone that was invented after Christ. It's not like the market is in a chokehold with contract phones or anything.

Years
    • Seen May 9, 2024
    Okay, that's all great and wonderful, but you can easily get a no-contract phone that was invented after Christ. It's not like the market is in a chokehold with contract phones or anything.

omfg. You asked what my point was and I told you. Can you not be obnoxious and argumentative for once?

Sir Codin

It sucks that I go to a bar and there are no women around. What's the point of bringing my friend to a bar to be my wingman if there ain't no women around? BS, man.

Also, I think freecreditreport.com is a scam. I think the official place to go to is Annual Credit Report and get one through either Equifax, Experian, or TransUnion. Espousing free credit reports doesn't mean anything since by U.S. Law (can't speak for everyone else) you are entitled to a free credit report through those three organizations.

Klippy

L E G E N D of
    Years
    I'm just not into drinking, I guess. I've had beers in Vegas and that's one of the few times I've finished them. I used to be able to drink a bit more, but beer just isn't for me, I guess. :(

I do like mai tais and coca-cola and (coconut) rum though. ;)

Kotone

someone needed a doctor?
    Years
    i don't drink. i've had sips of drinks, but that's it.
    i just get uncomfortable around people who are constantly drinking probably cause i wasn't brought up around it.

Status
    Not open for further replies.
    Back