• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

Opinion on Mathematics?

What is your opinion on mathematics?

• Love it.

Votes: 9 36.0%
  • Hate it.

Votes: 7 28.0%
  • Meh, couldn't care less either way.

Votes: 7 28.0%
  • Other. (Please specify in post)

Votes: 2 8.0%

• Total voters

stringzzz

Banned
    Years
    In general, what is your opinion on mathematics?

Personally, I love it. I am using it for a career I'm working towards through school right now, but even beside that I study it for fun, as weird as that might sound. My favorite concept in math is imaginary numbers, because even the name makes it sound like some weird thing that someone just made up, but it is totally a real thing in math. When it comes down to it, math is found everywhere in nature, and I find that to be beautiful!

Nah

Years
    • Age 31
    • she/her, they/them
    • Seen yesterday
    Never was a big fan of math, never was great at it either. I still don't know how the fuck I passed any of my college math courses.

Years
    Love/hate. I don't know why and how it works. I just know that sometimes I would love to know more and I think "wow, it's actually interesting", while some other times I am like "yeah, no. I don't see the point". Like, especially when it comes to pretty advanced stuff. Because otherwise, I think the basic stuff (the high school program for example) can be pretty interesting to know, even just as general culture.

Sweet Serenity

Advocate of Truth
    Years
    I love mathematics, mainly because math and I have a history. When I was in school, I excelled in pretty much every single class. English was easy enough because I was always a great reader and writer. History was simple because I was interested in it, which made it easier to remember facts. I always loved science because I found every aspect of it fun, especially (marine) biology. I even excelled in PE because I'm an athlete as well. Track and field and basketball were my passions. However, math was probably the only class that challenged me. I remember, early on in school, that I used to do poorly in math classes. It got to a point where, in 6th grade, I failed my math class and had to make it up in summer school. I told myself I was NEVER going to summer school again. I needed my summer vacations. lol Thus, since then, I have practically devoted my life to studying math. At the time, I've downloaded programs to help me with my math, checked out various books from the library, bought several notebooks, and literally spend most of my days at home doing my own personal homework to improve my math skills. Eventually, math became my favorite subject over time. I would have told you that I thought math was pointless at 12, but at my current age, which is 20 as of this post, I would tell you that math is the best subject, and if you can master it, especially the more advanced math, you can pretty much solve any problem. I find that to be very useful.

Palamon

Silence is Purple
    Years
    I'm indifferent towards it. I don't really need it these days in my adulthood beyond a few things here and there. I don't like, nor hate, math really. But, I'm glad I'm in a point in my life that beyond those equations I didn't understand (geometry) I only really need the basics here and there.

Harmonie

Winds ღ
    Years
    I struggled with math. I always thought I understood it just fine and then in practice I would mess up the equations. It made me feel like a failure at life. I'm not a fan!

Years
    I struggle with even the simplest equations, but math itself isn't to blame, I just have a learning disability.
    So I don't really mind it.

Soaring Sid

Now I'm motivated
    Years
    Huge fan of Math! I spent a chunk of my childhood with my dad practicing math, those were definitely my most memorable moments with him. Although, moving forward, he got busier and I started doing math on my own. In my current field, I do not use it as much as I did back in high school days, but I sure do miss it!
    Towards the end though, i started faltering, especially when it came to matrices. Although they're fairly simple, my overconfidence in assuming that a simple operation would not mean careful consideration of each number in the matrix hit me hard

stringzzz

Banned
    Years
    Towards the end though, i started faltering, especially when it came to matrices. Although they're fairly simple, my overconfidence in assuming that a simple operation would not mean careful consideration of each number in the matrix hit me hard

Yeah, the whole thing with matrices can be tricky with some of the stuff it gets into. I just did a Linear Algebra course during my previous semester, and half of the time I wondered if I was even doing it correctly. Somehow I ended up with like 89.something percent after the final, and thankfully my professor rounded it up to 90% so I got an A!

I guess I should have mentioned with the original post that the kind of career I'm working towards is for the field of Cryptology, so I need as much math skills as I can get my hands on. It's interesting, but not that surprising to see just how varied the opinions on math are. In all honesty, I graduated High School just barely knowing the basics of Algebra. At some point, I had a lot of time on my hands and decided that I wanted to do something with my life, so I got some different Math books and started studying on my own. A couple of years later, I was in College just taking College Algebra. Fast forward, I've passed Calculus I and the Linear Algebra class. It's not without its obstacles though, I failed Calculus II the first time. I was doing great the first half of the semester, but I totally messed up after that. Next semester, I will be re-taking that course, and this time I'm confident I will pass it!

So, in case of those who are bad at math but still want to learn it, it's not impossible. It just takes dedication and starting at the kind of level you are currently at with it. If I can do it, you can definitely do it, too.

Years
    I always found math classes boring tbh.
    I've never needed anything other than basic addition in my life either, so I've pretty much forgotten everything else they taught me back in school.

Edit: Voted 'Meh, couldn't care less either way.' btw

Last edited:
    Years
    • Age 37
    • Seen yesterday
    I never liked numbers because of how exact the answer needed to be. Something also must be flipped in my mind, since I could never make sense of the symbols used in math. I remember dreading math as early as first grade, when greater than/less than symbols were introduced. Could never get it straight which one to use when.

It's kind of funny these days. I can figure out some basic math in my head, and some of my coworkers are always amazed by my talent. Aside from basic skills, I really don't use math at all in my life.

The only math class I believe I passed with great grades was geometry. Shapes are fine. Everything else I almost failed out of.

Soaring Sid

Now I'm motivated
    Years
    Yeah, the whole thing with matrices can be tricky with some of the stuff it gets into. I just did a Linear Algebra course during my previous semester, and half of the time I wondered if I was even doing it correctly. Somehow I ended up with like 89.something percent after the final, and thankfully my professor rounded it up to 90% so I got an A!

I guess I should have mentioned with the original post that the kind of career I'm working towards is for the field of Cryptology, so I need as much math skills as I can get my hands on. It's interesting, but not that surprising to see just how varied the opinions on math are. In all honesty, I graduated High School just barely knowing the basics of Algebra. At some point, I had a lot of time on my hands and decided that I wanted to do something with my life, so I got some different Math books and started studying on my own. A couple of years later, I was in College just taking College Algebra. Fast forward, I've passed Calculus I and the Linear Algebra class. It's not without its obstacles though, I failed Calculus II the first time. I was doing great the first half of the semester, but I totally messed up after that. Next semester, I will be re-taking that course, and this time I'm confident I will pass it!

So, in case of those who are bad at math but still want to learn it, it's not impossible. It just takes dedication and starting at the kind of level you are currently at with it. If I can do it, you can definitely do it, too.

This is so cool!!!! I'd love to know more! I wish to go on a journey of self-teaching math too, maths is pure... and fun. Could you tell me how maths comes into application in cryptology?

stringzzz

Banned
    Years
    This is so cool!!!! I'd love to know more! I wish to go on a journey of self-teaching math too, maths is pure... and fun. Could you tell me how maths comes into application in cryptology?

Yeah, I don't know if you feel the same way about math, but to me it's just like solving a puzzle, which is fun for me. :D

So, for cryptography... The two biggest branches of mathematics used are Abstract Algebra and Number Theory. A big part of an encryption system's security often relies on an unsolved problem in Number Theory. A prime (lol) example of this is the RSA cryptosystem. RSA public keys are the product of two very large prime numbers. If an attacker could get their hands on these two prime numbers, they can likely derive the private key from them, but the security relies on the fact that there is currently no known way to factor one of these large products in any reasonable amount of time. While it could be possible some day to find a better way to factor these numbers, many researchers have attempted this with no luck. This is actually kind of good, because if someone does find a way it would likely turn a lot of security on it's head, and people will be running around trying to find a system that could replace RSA.

As for cryptanalysis, the same subjects, but with the addition of Statistics. It's a mistake to think that cryptanalysis involves some bad guys in some dark warehouse somewhere trying to crack codes for malicious purposes. While something like that does happen, especially with adversaries of a government, more often than not it is for the purpose of building security. It's not too common of knowledge that just because someone spends years researching a new cryptographic algorithm, it's not automatically secure. Instead, that is done, but then the system is made public. Then, and only then, if no blaring weaknesses are found after several years of many dozens of researchers throwing everything they can at it, then it can be deemed secure. This was the case with DES, RSA, and AES, and that process is called the 'peer review process'. The only reason DES is no longer secure is that the performance of technology has outgrown it's small key size. AES has and probably will remain the standard symmetric cipher for a good while longer. RSA has a nice feature of being able to just increase the key size as technology improves, letting it live even longer. I've made some of my own encryption systems over the years, but due to my lack of knowledge, I wouldn't trust it for anything past encrypting your 'secret' recipes. They probably aren't even worth it for a researcher to spend time cryptanalyzing, because they were made by someone who still doesn't have all the knowledge to make one properly. If you are at all curious about this project, however, here is a link to the github repo for it: ANGELITA_128 Encryption System In that repo is also a 'paper' I wrote on it given my analysis, but again it doesn't amount to much since I barely knew what I was doing. :P

Finally, if you want to self-study, here is my suggestion. Be honest with yourself, determine what you know you know, and what you know you have trouble with. Start at the lowest subjects you have trouble with, then work your way up from there. It helps a lot to set small, realistic goals for what you want to accomplish with it. There may come a time where you are like "I have no idea what I'm doing, and I understand 0% of what I'm looking at! (0_o)". That is pretty normal, some advice I've heard on that is "Don't panic!". I've been there myself, and I ended up just having to slow down and read into several sources on the subject before getting some grasp on it. You can easily find full courses on YouTube, if that helps you learn.

Damn, lol, talk about TLDR, I guess I get carried away when I'm passionate about a subject.

Years
    I just hated school in general and almost failed 12th grade algebra (they wouldn't let me take calculus even though that's what most seniors were taking). I never took math in college (I ended up dropping out of college but that's not the topic of this conversation). But then, many years later, I met a wise man who said math really connects everything together. It's true if you think about it. I can't explain it myself though cause idk. He also is on a tangent lately that the Latin language connects everything together too but I never took Latin and that's not the topic of this conversation so yeah. Math and Latin, can't go wrong.

You know honestly, I don't know. Voted "Meh, couldn't care less either way." Should've voted "Other." Oh well.

Years
    Math is also the same in every language.

Personally, the teacher you have makes all the difference. I had a great teacher in college and made a B in the end, which is good for me.

Soaring Sid

Now I'm motivated
    Years
    Finally, if you want to self-study, here is my suggestion. Be honest with yourself, determine what you know you know, and what you know you have trouble with. Start at the lowest subjects you have trouble with, then work your way up from there. It helps a lot to set small, realistic goals for what you want to accomplish with it. There may come a time where you are like "I have no idea what I'm doing, and I understand 0% of what I'm looking at! (0_o)". That is pretty normal, some advice I've heard on that is "Don't panic!". I've been there myself, and I ended up just having to slow down and read into several sources on the subject before getting some grasp on it. You can easily find full courses on YouTube, if that helps you learn.

Damn, lol, talk about TLDR, I guess I get carried away when I'm passionate about a subject.

Man this was such an interesting read, thanks for sharing, it's fun to see folks talk about what they're passionate about!

And yeah it's been three years since I've had math problems, so I've been working my way up from limits and basic functions, just for fun.
    Did know there was a lot going on for security systems but this is really cool

Years
    • Any pronoun
    • Seen today
    Enjoys math. Preferred it over the other subjects in school. Was never forced to speak or solve problems in front of the class there. Performed well at it. Never really connected with most of the other subjects, barring some of the math-heavy science classes.

Does not care for all areas of math. Likes probability and algebra. Never gained much from geometry. Dislikes writing proofs. Appreciates learning the framework of ways to prove/disprove, however. Applies to concepts like rate of change from Calculus too.

Pulls out math from time to time. Calculated the terrible odds of shiny Gimmighoul (50/50 chance within ~2839 raids). Also quantified how big of a jerk Dialga was (~2% chance of not getting captured after 50 Ultra Balls, likely worse) recently too. Helps to have a strong handle on things like fractions for simpler things like scaling recipes.

Last edited:

spinomania

Tech Guru
    Years
    • Seen Jul 4, 2023
    Mathematics is a fundamental and essential field of study that plays a crucial role in various aspects of our lives and the world around us. It provides the language and tools to understand and describe patterns, relationships, quantities, structures, and change. Mathematics is the foundation for many other disciplines, including physics, engineering, economics, computer science, and more.

Back