• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

Overrated.

Atomic Pirate

I always win.
Years
8. Atheism (That's still going? ew)

What.

How exactly is the lack of belief in a higher deity "overrated"? And "ew"?

Look, not all atheists are scumbags like TheAmazingAtheist. I'm not personally one (I'm agnostic), but a number of my friends are, and they're perfectly decent people.

Last edited:

Demon Wolf

American Wolf
Years
Did he choose to be a role model? Did he sign up for it? I doubt it, as I don't believe even he sees himself as a good one. While he should be expected to act civilly and in a way that will portray him in a good light, he should not be hated simply because he doesn't. If you just wanted to make music (using that term a tad but loosely) and were then given the unwanted responsibility of having to act in accordance with societies expectations of a "good role model," how happy would you be about that, especially if you were someone who was "rebellious" and "rambunctious?" Also, you said it would be ok if he did it secretly. I'm assuming when cameras are on you 24/7 it's a bit hard to have a private life. I doubt he was trying to show the world his drugs, the media just found out.

Dear God, I'm defending him -.- All I'm saying is it's his choice in the end, just like it is every other persons.

Yes he did sign up for it he has kids listening to his music automatically role model even if he doesn't sign up he did anyways by being celebrity 4 kids showbiz

pompayyy

Forever and Ever
Years
She's good enough to get a cover on Rolling Stone who also gave her album 4 stars. You know you're talented when you're really liked by Rolling Stones.

Woah. You do realize that Rolling Stone just follows whatever is trending? For instance - they initially hated Led Zeppelin. Now that they're popular, Rolling Stone starts putting them on album covers. Why? They're sell-outs. Rather than voice their own opinion, they just gloss over what's trending.

So yeah, they're overrated.

Years
-The Nolan Batman movies. They try so hard to be "dark" and "realistic" that they ruin the whole point of Batman. To me, the 1989 Batman was the best because while it was dark and full of emotion, it also kept true to the idea of Batman by being a bit fantastical and over-the-top. Plus, the acting. Yes, I am aware I'm one of the 5 people who prefer Jack Nicholson to Heath Ledger, but it's pretty much inarguable that Keaton's portrayal of Batman is much better than Bale's.

-The Avengers. Yeah, it was a good movie. But don't say it's the best superhero movie. Just don't. It was a mindless summer blockbuster, and the only reason it's seen as more is because of all the characters it features.

-Adventure Time. Why so many guys at my school like this is beyond me. I guess I'm just not a huge fan of the whole idea of random humor.

-Nickelback. Don't try to tell me "oh, everyone hates them, they're not overrated". No. Have you seen how many albums they sell? They're overrated.

The old batman movies are so campy and outright stupid I can hardly stand it, having been a batman fan, across several medias, for almost my entire life. The Nolan Batman movies, and the animated cartoon from the 90's, are the best visual depictions of not just Batman, but the psychology, motifs and larger ideas and themes that the batman character embodies and is about. It's not even a close comparison here. ;(

Treecko

the princess without voice
Years
Well I can now see what a person calls "overrated" is just an opinion. Though personally I think more people should give Lorde a chance cause and not judge her music just on "Royals" or "Team" I think she's stands out among all the other artist today who just sing about partying , and sex and drinking and stuff. She seems more real than other artists today to me. I'm not gonna force people to like her or any type of music though, they can freely choose to listen and enjoy whoever.

I've never gave my thoughts on who I think is overrated. I definitely might get judged , but I could careless. Personally I think Bruno Mars is overrated. I mean , yeah I acknowledge he has a good voice, but a lot of his songs are boring and all the same to me. But everytime I look at the Grammy's Facebook page all I see are comments about how people think Bruno Mars should win everything. While I can see his talent, I just don't find him as special as people make him out to be. I really think he's only performing at the Super Bowl Half Time Show this year cause of how successful he is. He's just not too special to me. I kind of wish Red Hot Chili Peppers were the main performers instead of the secondary group and Bruno Mars would be the follow-up guest. Or if RHCP performed by themselves. That would be great.

Last edited:

Ultramarine

Turn the tables
Years
Yes he did sign up for it he has kids listening to his music automatically role model even if he doesn't sign up he did anyways by being celebrity 4 kids showbiz
Really? Please show me where he specifically stated "I realise that by singing my 'songs' I will be taking on the likeness of a role model and agree to act like one."

Just sayin'...

PkmnTrainerElio

♥ Jung Hoseok, Kim Namjoon and Park Jimin ♥
Years
Well I can now see what a person calls "overrated" is just an opinion. Though personally I think more people should give Lorde a chance cause and not judge her music just on "Royals" or "Team" I think she's stands out among all the other artist today who just sing about partying , and sex and drinking and stuff. She seems more real than other artists today to me. I'm not gonna force people to like her or any type of music though, they can freely choose to listen and enjoy whoever.

People judge Justin Bieber on "Baby", the only reason that video has so many dislikes is due to bandwagon hate and trolls.

I've never gave my thoughts on who I think is overrated. I definitely might get judged , but I could careless. Personally I think Bruno Mars is overrated. I mean , yeah I acknowledge he has a good voice, but a lot of his songs are boring and all the same to me. But everytime I look at the Grammy's Facebook page all I see are comments about how people think Bruno Mars should win everything. While I can see his talent, I just don't find him as special as people make him out to be. I really think he's only performing at the Super Bowl Half Time Show this year cause of how successful he is. He's just not too special to me. I kind of wish Red Hot Chili Peppers were the main performers instead of the secondary group and Bruno Mars would be the follow-up guest. Or if RHCP performed by themselves. That would be great.

NAILED IT, RIGHT THERE! He IS talented, but he also IS overrated, I don't hate him, I just cannot stand him (due to being overrated), I quite like him too, but, he is overrated.

CliCliW

I have a Ph.D in Horribleness.
Years
What.

How exactly is the lack of belief in a higher deity "overrated"? And "ew"?

Look, not all atheists are scumbags like TheAmazingAtheist. I'm not personally one (I'm agnostic), but a number of my friends are, and they're perfectly decent people.

Agreed. I know a few Atheists who are decent people. Then you have the guy who's a complete assbutt and judges your intelligence based on a choice to believe in something, using that as an excuse to see himself as a superior being because of that. No, sir, you're merely a douche. ^^

Thank god someone can put that feeling into words. I like her songs, they're catchy and, like you said, don't revolve around this mad party/drink/sex mentality of most pop music. It makes me pretty annoyed when most songs on the radio today are all about the party/drink/sex lifestyle.

Wait, Bruno Mars is really that popular? I feel like for me, he just fizzled out after the Lazy Song and I haven't heard much from him other than a few songs, but that's about it...

BUT YES TO CHILI PEPPERS. CHILI PEPPERS ALL DAY EVERY DAY IS A-OK.

People judge Justin Bieber on "Baby", the only reason that video has so many dislikes is due to bandwagon hate and trolls.

NAILED IT, RIGHT THERE! He IS talented, but he also IS overrated, I don't hate him, I just cannot stand him (due to being overrated), I quite like him too, but, he is overrated.

It's kinda confusing to say "I don't hate him, but I can't stand him". To my mind, those are the same sentiment.

I just want to put this out here though: I don't see something as truly being overrated if there's a whole fad around hating it. Bieber is a prime example. I feel like, my own opinion aside, it's cooler to dislike him than to like him, so can we really call that kind of a thing overrated?

PkmnTrainerElio

Years
I just want to put this out here though: I don't see something as truly being overrated if there's a whole fad around hating it. Bieber is a prime example. I feel like, my own opinion aside, it's cooler to dislike him than to like him, so can we really call that kind of a thing overrated?

It's NOT cooler do hate him than it is to like him, it's stupider... He's only hated on the internet barely outside of it, due to bandwagoners and similar people, no-one really hates him, they only want to look cool, by bullying someone from behind a PC screen, his haters are mainly gamers, teenage males, very few girls, Bronies, atheists, celebrities who aren't as successful as him and other people trying to fit in, they like to troll the fans and bully them so they feel superior, Justin is NOT gay, nor is he "untalented" or "talentless"... Seriously, what did he do to people to make them hate him? (BEFORE the controversy of 2013). He did NOTHING, the only reason he has been mucking around is due to his break-up with Selena and the constant, unwanted hate got to him.

CliCliW

Years
Sideshow Bob, I'm not getting into an argument over Justin Bieber, because I don't really see the point in arguing over something I couldn't care less about. Not to mention the fact that everything you say screams out that you're a huge Bieber fan and I've seen enough arguments with other fangirls to know that there's no point in trying to say much about said fandom because you'll always be wrong in their eyes. But some things about your previous post are so narrow-minded it's actually difficult to take it seriously.

It's NOT cooler do hate him than it is to like him, it's stupider... He's only hated on the internet barely outside of it,

I can find plenty of people outside of the internet who dislike Bieber, and for several different reasons.

due to bandwagoners and similar people, no-one really hates him, they only want to look cool,
No, there is perfectly good evidence to justify why some people might dislike Justin Bieber, and it isn't "to look cool" as you say. He's done things that if another person on the street did, they'd instantly be called out on it and receive similar criticism.

by bullying someone from behind a PC screen, his haters are mainly gamers, teenage males, very few girls,
A lot of females I know dislike him.

Bronies, atheists,
I'm sure there's plenty of atheists who like Bieber. Just because you consider yourself better than an atheist doesn't mean they don't have a right to like the same things you do. That isn't fair. I'm guessing you don't like My Little Pony either. Are you going to call yourself superior to them? Are you going to disallow them from liking the same things as you do because you're so biased against them?

celebrities who aren't as successful as him and other people trying to fit in, they like to troll the fans and bully them so they feel superior, Justin is NOT gay,
No one on this thread has stated anything about Bieber's sexual inclination. Please don't bring that into it.

nor is he "untalented" or "talentless"... Seriously, what did he do to people to make them hate him? (BEFORE the controversy of 2013). He did NOTHING, the only reason he has been mucking around is due to his break-up with Selena and the constant, unwanted hate got to him.
As I mentioned in my previous post, It was a thing to dislike Justin Bieber in the past. But as time has gone on, He's shown himself as a Primadonna Delinquent. Yes, maybe he's suffering from pressure and "unwanted hate", but that's no excuse for trying to be a "bad boy".

As I've said, I don't want to get into an argument about Justin Bieber. If you want a thread about him do it elsewhere please. And try to think a little bit before you go posting things that are so single-minded. As I think I might have said before: I quite like some of Bieber's music, but he isn't a person I'd like to ever speak to.

Years
I don't really think that anything is overrated. People have their opinions and I don't mind that. If someone thinks that Justin Bieber is awesome and somebody else thinks the opposite... Well, I couldn't care less about it, really. I don't judge people/shows etc. based on what other people say about them. Thus, for me, there's nothing like "overrated".

Perriechu

i make this look easy tik-tik boom like gasoline-y
Years
My Little Pony. What's the big deal about this show? Like I watched a few episodes a few years ago and I just didn't get it at all? It's not even funny or anything. If I was like 10 I could find it funny but grown people watching it is just, no. Not to mention the god awful "Bronies". Hardcore Bronies, that is.

Darren Criss, huuuugely overrated in both the glee fandom and outside of it. His voice is beyond awful and his acting, dramatic acting, is cringe-worthy. He gets by on his looks but he'll be bald by the time he's 30. Plus he can be a total douche at times.

One Direction, now I like them, I'm not a fan of them but I genuinely think they care about music + their fans, plus they actually are talented, and they seem like a really nice group of guys but honestly the hysteria surrounding them is just so ott.

A lot of other singers, who aren't necessarily bad, I just don't get what the big hype about them is.

Oh and ARTPOP.

PkmnTrainerElio

Years
My Little Pony. What's the big deal about this show? Like I watched a few episodes a few years ago and I just didn't get it at all? It's not even funny or anything. If I was like 10 I could find it funny but grown people watching it is just, no. Not to mention the god awful "Bronies". Hardcore Bronies, that is.

True, I don't know what there is to like about that show either, to me, it's just another annoying mediocre show from the 2000s/2010s that I cannot stand, due to the lack of interest, maybe if I were a Brony, I would enjoy it.

Darren Criss, huuuugely overrated in both the glee fandom and outside of it. His voice is beyond awful and his acting, dramatic acting, is cringe-worthy. He gets by on his looks but he'll be bald by the time he's 30. Plus he can be a total douche at times.

One Direction, now I like them, I'm not a fan of them but I genuinely think they care about music + their fans, plus they actually are talented, and they seem like a really nice group of guys but honestly the hysteria surrounding them is just so ott.

True, true and true, I love 1D, some of their fans are annoying and I hate how Harry is the main face of 1D, I love all five members, but, Niall just that tad more, NO-ONE should be the face of the band, but, it's their management, their management is horrible, they make 1D do things like date people and stuff. I'm sure Harry and Kendall Jenner is just for publicity... I ship Larry Stylinson...

A lot of other singers, who aren't necessarily bad, I just don't get what the big hype about them is.

Oh and ARTPOP.
NAILED IT!

Outlier

I agree with Sideshow Bob. Atheism is overrated. If you don't believe in God then good for you, but why don't you just shut up about it because I couldn't possibly care less. Atheists can be so obnoxious sometimes.

Years
Is this thread seriously getting into arguments? Where is that possibly going to lead?

Anyway, here are some media I find overrated.
-Fighting games in general
-FPSes in general
-Bleach
-One Piece
-Dragon Ball/Dragon Ball Z/etc.
-YuYu Hakusho
-The Walking Dead
-Downton Abbey
-Friday the 13th
-Robocop
-BioShock (the environments and story are wonderful, but I don't find the gameplay particularly interesting or inventive)
-Minecraft
-Terraria
-Cave Story
-Drawn Together
-South Park (this more than the rest)
-New Super Mario Bros. 2
-Lorde
-Arcade Fire
-The Marshall Mathers LP 2 by Eminem

Ugh. God.

Atomic Pirate

I always win.
Years
I agree with Sideshow Bob. Atheism is overrated. If you don't believe in God then good for you, but why don't you just shut up about it because I couldn't possibly care less. Atheists can be so obnoxious sometimes.

That's not all atheists. That's a vocal minority of atheists. I could turn around and say that all Christians are bible-thumping, homophobic, intellectually-backwards, and bigoted rednecks. Yes, some of them are, but the majority are alright people. You can't judge a group solely based off of a vocal minority.

And atheists shouldn't be allowed to talk about not believing in God, but I suppose Christians talking about God is okay? See, it's a free country, and rhetoric from both sides of the argument is necessary because it allows people to make their own decisions based on what they see, not what they're forced to see.

And how exactly does a vocal minority of atheists make atheism overrated?

A belief system cannot be "overrated". It's like saying vegetarianism or Buddhism is overrated.

Outlier

That's not all atheists. That's a vocal minority of atheists. I could turn around and say that all Christians are bible-thumping, homophobic, intellectually-backwards, and bigoted rednecks. Yes, some of them are, but the majority are alright people. You can't judge a group solely based off of a vocal minority.

And atheists shouldn't be allowed to talk about not believing in God, but I suppose Christians talking about God is okay? See, it's a free country, and rhetoric from both sides of the argument is necessary because it allows people to make their own decisions based on what they see, not what they're forced to see.

And how exactly does a vocal minority of atheists make atheism overrated?

A belief system cannot be "overrated". It's like saying vegetarianism or Buddhism is overrated.

How do you know if it's just a vocal minority or not? Are there statistics out there that measure all atheist's level of obnoxiousness? I don't think so. I'm going by my own personal experiences with atheists, which for the most part has been them talking down to religious people and belittling their beliefs. I'm agnostic myself and don't believe in any religion, but the way atheists treat religious people is disgusting!

What do you mean by it's a free country? I bet you assumed I was just talking about America or that I'm from America myself. Sounds like typical atheist assuming behavior to me. See even you atheists can get it wrong sometimes, so maybe you're wrong about God too. All I'm saying is atheists shouldn't act like there's no God as if it's a fact, which is what most of them do. Although some aspects and religious beliefs can be disproved through science, God is unfalsifiable so no one knows. That's why I don't appreciate the arrogance of atheists especially when they can't tell us how life started. Even most scientists think the big bang theory is a load of horse ****. And I'm not talking about that crappy sitcom either.

pompayyy

Forever and Ever
Years
Also, may I add that Katy Perry is overrated. She's just an average pop singer with no/few distinct talents. My friend says "She speaks for us feminists." And how does she do this? Dresses up like a ****. And the day her music is some kind of "Art" (hence, ARTPOP), will be the day the universe is seriously desperate for music.

CliCliW

Years
Also, may I add that Katy Perry is overrated. She's just an average pop singer with no/few distinct talents. My friend says "She speaks for us feminists." And how does she do this? Dresses up like a ****. And the day her music is some kind of "Art" (hence, ARTPOP), will be the day the universe is seriously desperate for music.
I think ARTPOP is actually Lady Gaga. Nonetheless your statement still applies to both :)

Back