• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

Part 1 of the DLC is out - what do you think so far?

Years
  • I'm a little disappointed that frame rates/lag seems to be even worse than in the main game areas (or maybe I just forgot how bad it was), but overall I'm enjoying it so far and hoping I'll get a shiny Cutiefly while exploring around lol.

What do you all think?

Years
    • Any pronoun
    • Seen today
    Finished the main story. Fell within rough expectations so far. Noticed no major performance issues (and little to no minor ones, in memory). Spotted some odd graphical bits:
    • Black triangles in the far distance
    • Unusual movement from Okidogi
    • Saw the backside of the Pokeball during the catching animation once.
    • Odd Pokeball movement from trainers when throwing out their Pokemon

Some positives:
    • Morpeko's new Hunger Switch animation
    • Likes Ogerpon more now. Feels better about the design after seeing it in-game.
    • Enjoyed seeing some returning Pokemon again.

Spoilered the rest.
    Spoiler:

(All Day 1 impressions, for the record.)

Last edited:

Sandslash Fan

Spikey Boi
    Years
  • It's fun catching and filling Pokédex entries again. I am using DLC only Pokémon and my team got clapped by a trainer's Bellsprout of all things. Must have a held item or EV trained, it killed almost everything on my team with Poison Jab while I was using revive items (so my lead could still get XP). Got a shiny Dipplin already since it's easy to get a shiny Applin.

Iceshadow3317

Fictional Writer.
    Years
  • Before anything, I want to say SV I didn't have any lag at all other than FPS stuff in the background, which for me is far from a massive let down. But as soon as I changed to Switch OLED, I started having more issues. But still not a massive issue for me. With the DLC, I only really experienced lag when I first played, but seemed to lessen the more I played. But the FPS drops seemed to disappear. I did have Okodogi problems when I was far away from him, but for me, that is a very very very minor thing. I haven't experienced anything else performance wise.

Now for the actual story ect.
    I loved the story. It was probably my favorite thing since 6th gen, other than Lillie in SM. I love Carmine after the first couple of interactions made me think I'd hate her. Really glad they will be in the next DLC. I am disappointed that we got three random NPCs that went with us on the fieldtrip. They should have just picked us and been done with it. The other characters added nothing to the story.

Gonna put the next part in spoilers.
    Spoiler:

There is another miniquest or two I've yet to finish, so I can't say much on those.

Now for the region: Story Spoilers as well.
    Spoiler:

Aside from that.... there is so many small pokemon. So it is really hard to avoid them. Half the time you don't see them. Aside from one of the things mentioned above, the northern half of the region is just so empty. There isn't really any unique pokemon there. And just didn't seem like it was needed.

Overall though I enjoyed it. I just wish the region had been used more thoroughly and that story elements weren't so disjointed. There was a lot that just seemed like they forced themselves to put in to link back to something and it just wasn't needed. Things would have been fine without some of the forced story elements that didn't even add anything to the overall story.

Edit: Possibility why story felt disjoined. Possibility of major spoilers.

Spoiler:

Last edited:

Lavender

No, your gonna face ME first!
    Years
  • I LOVE it! the scenery is so pretty! Okidogi is definitely my new favorite legendary too, he's awesome!
    and don't get me started on the battle theme for the loyal three, it's amazing!

Iceshadow3317

Fictional Writer.
    Years
  • Something else very small I just noticed, all the Nosepass in the wild are facing north no matter where they are and not moving like their lore says. And I love that small attention to detail.

Sweet Serenity

Advocate of Truth
    Years
  • I didn't start the story yet. I am still just exploring the area and catching Pokémon. This is why I love the new generation of Pokémon; it has so much freedom. I can just enjoy the game and the scenery without having to sit through a ton of cutscenes.

Adam Levine

[color=#ffffff][font="Century Gothic"]I have tried
    Years
  • Kitakami has Charjabug, so that's really all I could've asked for.

Seriously, though, as someone who's into traditional Japanese aesthetics and folklore, almost too much so, I enjoy Kitakami and its lore. The battles were surprisingly challenging too (if only because I was using a less than optimal team and I didn't know what to expect in terms of levels, since I'd never played the SwSh DLC).

Some more random thoughts that require some spoilers:
    Spoiler:

Years
    • Age 23
    • She/Her
    • Canada
    • Seen Apr 15, 2024
    I loveeee it!! I'm having so much fun. I caught a new team of pokemon primarily exclusive to Kitakami. The region is beautiful, and it's fun to just explore and wander around aimlessly. Fellhorn Gorge is among my favourite locations, it's such a majestic place!

Years
    • Any pronoun
    • Seen today
    Now for the region: Story Spoilers as well.
    Spoiler:
    Spoiler:

Aside from that.... there is so many small pokemon. So it is really hard to avoid them. Half the time you don't see them. Aside from one of the things mentioned above, the northern half of the region is just so empty. There isn't really any unique pokemon there. And just didn't seem like it was needed.
    Tripped on tons of little Pokemon too. Wishes for bigger models. Blames many of them being first-stage Pokemon too. Experienced this problem in Paldea as well, between Capsakid, Flittle, and Nymble.

Found an updated list of trainers. Contains the Pokemon particulars. Contains spoilers, obviously.
    Spoiler:

Years
  • i finished the main story of the dkc so spoiler free opinions

-I really ogerpon now, definitely on the upper tier of legendaries
    -i called the plot twist immediately
    -accidentally stepped on many small pokemon because you cant see them
    -no graphic jank, abit of slow down here and there
    -seeing alot of returning pokemon is cool
    -made an entire new team from what i found rather than trouncing the dlc with my lvl 100s, was way more fun that way
    -veeeeeery interest to see the follow ups in part 2

overall id rate it a 7/10. Pretty good, nothing amazing though

Years
    • Any pronoun
    • Seen today
    Minigame testing:
    Spoiler:

One other observation:
    Spoiler:

Last edited:
    Years
  • I haven't bought the dlc yet, but one thing that I wanted to ask was if there is anything resembling a battle facility in the Teal Mask? I am not looking for the Battle Frontier, something like the Battle Tower or Dojo would be enough for me, just a place where I can fight challenges in-game against as many trainers of my level as I want, not just one quest, but something I can do indefinitely. I missed not being able to visit that kind of spot in Paldea, and was hoping there could be a facility for me in Kitakami.

Feel free to spoiler tag the answer so you don't give away anything to other players who haven't gotten through the dlc yet. It's just one of those things I would like to know, and would be a factor in buying. Thanks in advance if anybody cn give me a yes or no :)

Years
    • Any pronoun
    • Seen today
    I haven't bought the dlc yet, but one thing that I wanted to ask was if there is anything resembling a battle facility in the Teal Mask? I am not looking for the Battle Frontier, something like the Battle Tower or Dojo would be enough for me, just a place where I can fight challenges in-game against as many trainers of my level as I want, not just one quest, but something I can do indefinitely. I missed not being able to visit that kind of spot in Paldea, and was hoping there could be a facility for me in Kitakami.

Feel free to spoiler tag the answer so you don't give away anything to other players who haven't gotten through the dlc yet. It's just one of those things I would like to know, and would be a factor in buying. Thanks in advance if anybody cn give me a yes or no :)
    As requested:
    Spoiler:

Years
  • As requested:
    Spoiler:

Thank you for your help Deva
    Spoiler:

Years
  • The only repeatable trainers I know of are at the Academy Ace Tournament in the main game after you beat the main story. I go there whenever I find myself in need of money and do it a couple times in a row. The opponents vary, but the pool of possible opponents is not that big.

As for the DLC I haven't played it yet, busy with other stuff and games =P

PageEmp

No money puns. They just don’t make cents.
    Years
  • Also, as a preface: when they first announced DLC for this generation, I was cautious before being excited. I was mostly worried that I'll be the exact same stuff as the Gen8 DLC. And also, I… was not a big fan of the Gen8 DLC myself. I dunno, I just felt in general it was missing… something, and overall I feel like I could play the original SnS without it.

I might have said I was excited for Gen9's DLC in the past but that was just for the plot I planned for when I play it and if I document my playthrough. In general, since again, I didn't like the last generation's DLC. So I was hoping for it to at least not be exatly like it…

And not only did we get something unlike it, but something I GREATLY enjoyed! Yes, even I'm surprised I really liked this! The characters were excellent, the plot was excellent, the new place looked really nice, Ogerpon's backstory was neat, I didn't expect to enjoy using Ogerpon, and I didn't expect the DLC to be this good! I know I should give this an 8/10 at most, but for how it impressed me I'd give it a 9/10.

Back