• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

Please answer questions about deafness?

Mettaton

Drama! Action! Romance!
Years
  • I'm a Deaf guy here who just wants your opinion out of curiosity.

1. Have you ever met a D/deaf person?
    2. If so, how did you communicate with them? If you haven't, what would be your method to communicate with them?
    3. What are your assumptions about D/deaf people? Example: D/deaf people cannot drive and read/write.
    4. Would you communicate with them if they don't have perfect English? If not, then please explain why.

Feel free to ask questions if you want to know some information.

Note: the capital d refers to Deaf people who are included in the Deaf culture, and the small d is just a medical condition.

Fen-Fen

Me but more fabulous
    Years
  • 1. No
    2. I'm not exactly sure; I assume that, until I learn ASL, I'm not sure really. I guess it depends on the degree of their deafness/hearing disability.
    3. Hmm...I kinda assume that people who are deaf are more introverted (that being said, I know next to nothing how a deaf person might live versus me)
    4. Assuming that they could communicate English (or Spanish) decently enough, I'd probably communicate with them. I'd like to think I try to communicate with people who come from assorted backgrounds, including being deaf.

Last edited:
    Years
  • 1. Have you ever met a D/deaf person?
    Several of varying severity.

2. If so, how did you communicate with them? If you haven't, what would be your method to communicate with them?
    Some of them we just spoke, others it was more of a matter of letting people who can do signing do most of the actual communication.

3. What are your assumptions about D/deaf people? Example: D/deaf people cannot drive and read/write.
    My assumption about deaf people is that they might have trouble hearing. I've met deaf/hearing impaired people who could read and write without any issue and I'm confident that those on the milder end of things could drive without incident.

4. Would you communicate with them if they don't have perfect English? If not, then please explain why.
    Sure, because I'm not a douche. It's more to do with can I sign if I need to, because I can't.

Electricbluewolf

Bᴇ pıɟɟǝɹǝuʇ
    Years

Yes, 3 of my best friends are registered deaf. One is completely, and the other two have no hearing in the right ear.

The fully deaf friend has a hearing aid, but when she doesn't wear it (as it's quite uncomfortable for her) I use sign language. I'm a little rusty on it as I'm still learning but she's ace. The other two I have to be on the left side for them to hear me clearly, but sometimes it's easy for them to lip-read

Eh none really, they're just normal people. I do know that when my deaf friends take out their hearing aid they talk very loudly and at different pitches but that because they can't hear themselves, but that's nothing they can do

I don't believe anyone has perfect English, and always understand what they mean even if they say it or write it "wrong"

for him.

I'm trash.
    Years
    • Age 28
    • Seen Aug 6, 2023
    Yes, one of my college professors is deaf.

Sign Language. I am taking sign language classes in college.

For a long time, I assumed they didn't drive. However, my outlook changed when I met my professor.

Language isn't perfect. I would communicate with deaf people even if their grasp of English isn't good.

Years
    • Seen Feb 9, 2024
    When Mom and I rented a room out it was to a deaf guy who couldn't hear at all. At first it was kind of weird because you're so use to doing everything normally not realize that someone is deaf. He was really good at lip reading or he would write down what he was trying to say with Mom or text with me. Mom wouldn't always get it but I seemed to pick up what he was trying to say real good.

Palamon

Silence is Purple
    Years
    I have not.

Since I can't sign, I'd use a pad and pencil to write what I wanna communicate!

Nothing. I assumed they were normal people that could do anything a regular person could, except hear.

Of course I would!

killer-curry

Oro.........?
    Years

Yeah several customers at our shop are deaf.

Body language or just use a piece of paper for letting them to express their needs.

For me, I think that deaf people are people. Normal people, Well even though they have difficulties in their everyday lives, they still do not give up. Which makes me feel proud about them, that's why I respect them.

Well, most of the people I have met do not know English. I would try to help them because they are special people who need special care. It is hard to know what their needs and also very hard for me to express what I want to say.

But at least, I try.

Yukari

Yes.

I could just speak with her like normal for the most part. If I remember correctly she could read lips.

I don't really have any. I think that deaf people can do almost anything that normal people can.

I would try!

Sun

When the sun goes down...
    Years
    • Seen Jan 20, 2017
    Nope.
    The standard way is Sign Language. But I do not know how to, so I can write my words in a paper and show them. I've heard of deaf people having the ability to read people's lips though.
    They are extra sensitive on their other senses.
    I see no problem on communicating with them, they are people too! There's no need to set barriers and limitations of sort.

Arylett Charnoa

No one in particular.
    Years
    • Age 32
    • Seen Jan 5, 2023
    No.

Writing. If they can read my lips though, that'd be great too.

I don't really know what to think. Seriously, I find myself ignorant and confused in this area. There isn't enough knowledge for me to even have a prior opinion. Mostly, I'm just insecure about how much of what I was saying they could actually understand. At least, until I established a reliable means of communication.

I would make any effort to communicate with anyone, because I'm used to dealing with not perfect English all the time. However, I wouldn't really enjoy it. It'd be ridiculously awkward, and I'd just want to communicate the basics of whatever was necessary rather than wanting to actually be their friend of anything, because such a barrier would make it almost impossible to have any meaningful conversation. Note: This doesn't just apply to deaf people, but also to people who just do not speak English very well at all. I don't have any meaningful conversations with my parents, for instance, and don't feel close to them at all partially due to this.

Arsenic

[div=font-size: 18px; font-family: 'Kaushan script
    Years
  • 1. Yes, a few of my customers have been deaf. I haven't the slightest idea to what levels.

2. Normal speech. They have all let me know in their first sentence that they are deaf and to please face them when I talk so they can read my lips.

3. None. Regular nice people. One even bought a winners ribbon and stuck it to my name badge for helping.

4. I've communicated with non-deaf people with bad English just fine, I can do it with a deaf person too!

Years
    • Seen Jul 2, 2023
    1. Yes, several, as well as a number of people with reduced hearing and hearing aids.

2. In grade school, one of the people I knew lost her hearing from an illness when she was little, so her speech sounded "normal," and her hearing aid helped enough that she was able to communicate fine. I knew someone who was completely deaf in college, and she generally lip read for one-on-one conversations, and used an ASL translator for classes and other bigger group activities.

3. Deaf people have poor hearing. As with any other group, there's a vast range, as far as I'm aware, so that's the only generalizable stereotype that I would say is actually accurate. Re: some of the other possible stereotypes mentioned in the first post, I know that deafness is sometimes associated with other congenital disorders (which may also feature learning deficits and other abnormalities), which could lead to reading/writing difficulties (and on another note, I could see how a phonetic reading curriculum could be difficult for the deaf). However, I assume that most deaf individuals don't fall into this category (I don't really know), and are the same as anyone else aside from having poor hearing. I would guess that a lot of deaf individuals are poor singers, and I assume that few choose musical careers, as those fields generally are very auditory-based. Most of the deaf people I knew also avoided taking foreign language classes in school/were exempted from the requirement.

4. Yes, just like I'd communicate (or attempt to communicate) with people who don't speak English as their first language.

Mawa

The typo Queen
    Years
    Yes, younger I had a friend who was deaf (Not sure about the serverality, if she was totally deaf or not). She wears an hearing aid so she could hear us, but we got the reflex to face her when we speak so it was easier for her to red our lips. It helped her to fully understand us. But like I said, she had an aid so she did totally fine. Same for another boy I knew.

Stay in front of them when I talk so they can see my lips if they need to.
    I would love to learn ASL, it's on a my bucket list! You never know when it can be useful!

I don't think I have any... but maybe I am just not conscious of mine...

Well I obviously don't have a perfect english myself! :P
    No really, if I took this sentence and I'll change "English" for "French", no it won't bother me! :) Like I hope they will still talk to me even is I'll sign bad XD (If I do learn how to sign one day).

Just a little "by the way", I miiiight be doing my Master on how does the technology/video games (mostly video games) help (or harm) the D. :)

Back