• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

Pokédex Completion

Years
    • Seen Oct 22, 2023
    When playing games, do you ever worry about finishing your Pokédex, or do you just lay-back and enjoy the storyline? In total, how many times have you attempted to complete your dex? Have you ever been successful? If you have, what was your reaction? If you've failed all your tries, do you still plan on doing it in future? :P

Years
    I used to care very little, but because GTS made getting 718 Pokemon a more tolerable job, I went for the kill and achieved it not once, but twice. (Many Pokemon I didn't have during second run because I cycled Pokemon in the GTS)

Years
    • Seen Jul 2, 2023
    When I first played Red, I didn't care about my Pokedex, but from Gold onwards, I've tried to complete it. I've completed a Pokedex in Red, Gold, Sapphire, and Diamond (national), and I've completed the Kalos Dex in X. For whatever reason, I didn't bother as much in White--I guess it just seemed too easy with the GTS. (Trading helped me a bunch in Diamond, too.)

At some point, I plan to complete my National Dex in X, though I haven't been pushing on it lately. I really should get it done, as the Shiny Charm would be useful. This generation, though, I want to make a living dex of competitively bred Pokémon (or at least one member from each family), as that'll be more challenging than just completing my Pokedex, and it gives me a fun breeding challenge. I haven't had a ton of time to work on it yet, but I have between a box and a box and a half done so far.

Years
    The pokedex has always been my favorite part of pokemon. It was Silver when I first tried to complete one. And I still know to this day...all that's left to get is Blissey. The first time I actually completed the dex was much later in Diamond. I tried in Ruby but there are a few missing and Black/Black 2 I got the game too far after their release dates to have good stuff to offer on the gts. Now I'm nearly finished with my dex in Y (legendaries and trade evolutions left). The 6th gen gts combined with the endless transfer ability from bank has made the dex completion much easier.

The living dex idea Imperator mentioned above is sweet. Maybe I'll go that route too since finishing the dex this gen has happened so quickly

Iceshadow3317

Fictional Writer.
    Years
    When doing a run through the game, I do not worry about it. I once tried to get all pokemon in Ruby, but it was nearly impossible. I tried in Sinnoh, but it didn't work.

Pokemon Heart Gold, I was working on it and got nearly done, but 5th gen came out, so I didn't finish it.

I both W/W2 I finished the pokedex in both games thanks to this site and GTS.

Now in X, I have caught all 718 currently available pokemon legitly.

Treecko

the princess without voice
    Years
    Usually never, but in White, I've really been trying to complete the Pokedex. With the GTS , negotiations, wi-fi trading and wonder trade, Poke Bank and the PSS in gen VI, completing the Pokedex is way easier. I normally wait till after I beat the main story to complete the Pokedex, but also do some Dex filling while playing the storyline via trade and by catching as many Pokemon as I can.

Years
    I don't really complete the Pokedex due to my limited ways to trade and the fact I can never get hold of certain Pokemon. I still try to catch any of the easily accessible Pokemon when I can, and also sit back and enjoy the main story.

Years
    • Seen Jan 1, 2023
    I don't usually bother with it because it's just a huge hassle for really no reward. The only time I ever completed it was in Diamond which I was happy about, but besides that not too exciting!!

mangamusicfan

The Lost one.
    Years
    I alway's complete My pokedex, I got a 100% in almost all games. (only X and Y left to beat).
    I think it's a nice challenge to try to get them all.

Timbjerr

[color=Indigo][i][b]T-o-X-i-C[/b][/i][/color]
    Years
    I'm currently making a (half-assed) attempt at completing the National dex in Y, but in general, I don't really care for Pokédex completion. Last time I actually tried was in my old Yellow version, in which I came up three short (Venomoth, Dragonite, and Mew)

Nah

Years
    • Age 31
    • she/her, they/them
    • Seen today
    Since the time of FireRed/LeafGreen, I usually try to complete the regional Pokedex. I only do it once a region though; no need to do it for every playthrough. I've only completed the National Dex one time. That was on my Pearl. I don't think I'll ever try again to do that; too much work, not enough reward (yes, since Gen 5 we get the shiny Charm for completing the National Dex, but I'm not into shinies, with a few exceptions).

Also, why is it the "National" Dex? Shouldn't it be the "International" Dex?

Charlie Brown

[font=lato]coolcoolcool[/font]
    Years
    Completing the Dex has never really been a goal of mine. It's never been something that I felt I could realistically achieve and as such I've never put a lot of effort into consciously completing the Dex. I do try and catch lots of wild Pokemon but I never go through the effort of evolving each and every one of them to get all those Dex entries.

Years
    Well I completed my Hoenn Dex in Emerald way back in 2009, but not the National Dex there. It was nice getting a Johto starter out of it.

Since then, I completed my National Pokédex on Platinum in late summer 2012, then in White 2 in spring of last year. I almost completed it in White, but it was right before BW2 were released in the US and I ended up erasing the save earlier this year. Not that I need it, anyway. Got the Shiny Charm, which was pretty sweet.

And lastly, I completed my National Pokédex in X, without Bank, at the beginning of February this year. Felt quite good also.

Sydian

fake your death.
    Years
    Not really. I only catch things I need for my team or to use HMs generally. If the game is new, I catch all the new Pokemon so I can come back and use them later.

The only dexes I've done are the Hoenn Dex in Sapphire and recently the National Dex in X. It was actually a lot of fun! Now that I've gotten 718 Pokemon though, I feel obligated to try to complete the National Dex in every generation to follow haha.

Necrum

I AM THE REAL SONIC
    Years
    I honestly don't want to finish my dex ever. Sure I can get a cool Shiny Charm, but I feel like reaching the point where I have a completed Pokedex will leave me feeling like there's nothing left to do. I know some people do crazy shiny dex stuff, but for me that would just be tedious. I don't think I'll ever finish the National Pokedex, even though I am perfectly capable of doing so.

Twisted Cuteness

Always a team
    Years
    • Va
    • Seen Apr 24, 2016
    I can honestly say I've never finished a pokedex. The closest I came to it was Platinum. I just worry over the pokemon I want, and capture those

Bad Wolf Entity

The One, The Only
    Years
    Today I completed the pokedex. All 718 pokemon just for the shiny charm. I've never been able to do it before. It honestly felt really good. Now I'm trying to get a 50 win streak in the battle maison.

Homura Akemi

time is f o r e v e r~
    Years
    I go through the storyline first, Pokedex comes later. I remember I was running all around the Sinnoh region after clearing the Elite Four, just to find Pokedex data for Finneon of all things.

As for National Pokedexes...in my dreams. I don't have enough friends to get all Pokemon :<

Years
    I've tried to complete my dex in pretty much each game but the only one where I've done it without some form of cheating was X. Usually in older games I'd either give up or back during the D/P days I got an action replay to tinker with because I wanted things that were hard to obtain for me, especially since I had no wi-fi back then.

But in every Pokemon game I play I try to catch everything in a route.. but eventually get lazy by the time I'm on the sixth or seventh badge and just proceed with the story.

Apollo

怖がらないで
    Years
    • Seen Jul 22, 2017
    I've never completed it. Trading used to be an issue for me back then, because there was only one GBA. I tried to complete it again on SoulSilver, but I didn't really have the motivation to. :P

Back