• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

Red hack: Pokémon Maize Version [BETA 3 RELEASED]

Years
    • Seen Mar 29, 2024
    Just stated playing this hack. So many original aspects to count; & the music is a delight to the ear! Best of luck finishing this amazing hack :)

Glad you enjoy it! Just a heads up, read the bug list in the first post. Or at least save in Copper Town before you talk to the guy standing next to the rectangular path in Copper Town. It's possible to get stuck and you'll have to restart at your previous save.

Years
    • Seen yesterday
    Glad you enjoy it! Just a heads up, read the bug list in the first post. Or at least save in Copper Town before you talk to the guy standing next to the rectangular path in Copper Town. It's possible to get stuck and you'll have to restart at your previous save.
    Thanks for the heads up! I'll make sure to save quite often.

Years
    • Seen Jun 28, 2023
    Nice! Good work on the the new HM. I think the seaweed tiles could use improvement, but the programming side of things is great.

Years
    • Seen Mar 29, 2024
    Nice! Good work on the the new HM. I think the seaweed tiles could use improvement, but the programming side of things is great.

Good to know! I thought they looked good... probably because I made them. I'll make some tweaks and see what people think is better.

Years
    • Seen Jun 28, 2023
    Hahah sorry I didn't mean to be discouraging. Maybe its just too dense for my liking? I can't really pin it down. Maybe its the edges, since its kind of a sudden stop.

Btw, what is the shell looking thing that is near the exit once you are under water?

Years
    • Seen Mar 29, 2024
    Hahah sorry I didn't mean to be discouraging. Maybe its just too dense for my liking? I can't really pin it down. Maybe its the edges, since its kind of a sudden stop.

Btw, what is the shell looking thing that is near the exit once you are under water?

No, I'm sure the seaweed isn't the best, since I made in in like 7 minutes. The shell looking thing is just a little shell decoration! Pretty fancy, I know.

Years
    • Seen Jun 28, 2023
    What is your methodology for creating and inserting music?

Do you create it some music software and then convert it to RBY?

You've sparked my interest in it

Years
    • Seen Mar 29, 2024
    What is your methodology for creating and inserting music?

Do you create it some music software and then convert it to RBY?

You've sparked my interest in it

Yep, exactly.

1. Create song in a Digital Audio Workstation (DAW). I use Reaper, with the "magical 8-bit" plugin.
    2. Export the tracks as midi.
    3. Run a script that converts the midi into pokered-compatible assembly or raw hex data.
    4. Fiddle with the duties, vibrato, note fade, etc...

Years
    • Seen Jun 28, 2023
    Seems straightforward, not that I know anything about music though.
    Can you make those effects (vibrato, fade, etc) in DAW just to see how it will sound? Or will you have to use the emulator for that?
    (Btw good job on the music. I'm not sure I can make any song that will be standable, let alone 10+)

Years
    • Seen Mar 29, 2024
    Seems straightforward, not that I know anything about music though.
    Can you make those effects (vibrato, fade, etc) in DAW just to see how it will sound? Or will you have to use the emulator for that?
    (Btw good job on the music. I'm not sure I can make any song that will be standable, let alone 10+)
    Haha yeah, I think creating the song is the harder part. Personally, I don't play with the effects in the DAW. Instead, I just have an idea of what I want it to sound like in the end.

Years
    • Seen Mar 29, 2024
    I just added a new song! It's the Agate City theme, and it's from Animal Crossing (gamecube version). You can listen to it here: https://soundcloud.com/huderlem/agate-city-12-pm-from-animal-crossing

As far a gameplay updates go, I've mapped the next few areas of the game and filled in the scripts/npcs for those areas. Nothing too crazy mechanics-wise. Both of the routes require DIVE to navigate through them. Also, you get to meet an important character in the "talking bush" side story.

Years
    • Seen Mar 29, 2024
    Sooo... I got to the end of the beta (I think) and I think this is a really good hack, :D
    Cool, I'm glad you enjoyed it! The end of beta 2.2 is after you beat Pyrite City. What were your favorite parts? Least-favorite parts?

Years
    • Seen Mar 29, 2024
    My favourite part(s) was the Copper Town-Pyrite City section, least-favourite part... I can't really tell, maybe the Arbor Hollow part.
    Admittedly, the first part of the game could use some reworking. I'll eventually get around to making the intro feel less like Red Version.

-----------------------------

Today, I redid the whole HM Slave concept. In Nuzlocke Mode, Pokémon can now be HM Slaves, which means they stay permanently at level 2. I added an item called the Slave Ball, which converts a captured Pokémon into an HM Slave. The Slave Ball has a 100% catch rate. When playing Nuzlocke Mode, you will always have access to a Slave Ball while in battle. Also, you can always use a Slave Ball, even if you already encountered a Pokémon in the area.

I had to make this change to help guarantee the player can always progress in the game.

The stats screen says whether or not a Pokémon is an HM Slave:
    BdDtWMF.png

Last edited:
    Years
    • Seen Jun 28, 2023
    This is a neat addition, though I'm still uncertain if I like the nuzlocke changes or not. IMO Nuzlocke players usually like a challenge, so adding in infinite slave balls and allowing capturing even when a pokemon has already been caught on that route is a big stray from the normal rules. I understand that some players may get stuck by not having a pokemon that can learn an HM, but that's their fault for not preparing!

But I do like the idea in general, if players want to have an hm slave then they can only use 5 pokemon in a real battle. Good trade off

Years
    • Seen Mar 29, 2024
    This is a neat addition, though I'm still uncertain if I like the nuzlocke changes or not. IMO Nuzlocke players usually like a challenge, so adding in infinite slave balls and allowing capturing even when a pokemon has already been caught on that route is a big stray from the normal rules. I understand that some players may get stuck by not having a pokemon that can learn an HM, but that's their fault for not preparing!

But I do like the idea in general, if players want to have an hm slave then they can only use 5 pokemon in a real battle. Good trade off

I thought about this a lot today. Infinite, 100% catch-rate Slave Balls is a dumb idea for the reasons you mentioned. However, I think you're a little off with "that's their fault for not preparing". It's very possible that they literally weren't capable of catching a Pokemon that can Fly, so you have to give them something to work with.

Here's my new ideas:
    1. Slave Ball doesn't have a 100% capture rate.
    2. Can buy Slave Balls at Marts.
    3. Have an additional menu item "Go Home", which warps you to the first town in the game. However, you have to sacrifice a Pokemon to use this function. This would be a last resort for the player, where you're stuck somewhere, due to a necessary Pokemon dying.

Thoughts?

Years
    • Seen Apr 21, 2024
    I thought about this a lot today. Infinite, 100% catch-rate Slave Balls is a dumb idea for the reasons you mentioned. However, I think you're a little off with "that's their fault for not preparing". It's very possible that they literally weren't capable of catching a Pokemon that can Fly, so you have to give them something to work with.

Here's my new ideas:
    1. Slave Ball doesn't have a 100% capture rate.
    2. Can buy Slave Balls at Marts.
    3. Have an additional menu item "Go Home", which warps you to the first town in the game. However, you have to sacrifice a Pokemon to use this function. This would be a last resort for the player, where you're stuck somewhere, due to a necessary Pokemon dying.

Thoughts?

That sounds better than the 100% catch-rate balls I like all three ideas :)

SkieTheKitsune

Hi, I'm FoxMan! I physically cannot change my user
    Years
  • I can't believe I haven't seen this hack sooner, this is wonderful! I like its humorous script, I love the added new types and physical special split, and so far, the whole package is enjoyable. I think the farthest I've gotten so far is Copper Town, in which I lost against the black void and ended up stuck in a glitch town. I couldn't do anything, and I'd forgotten to save before the battle. A shame, really- now I've got to catch up again. :y

Anyways, I happened to notice that evolution seems to be a bit bugged every now and again, as every time my Jigglypuff levels up it attempts to evolve into Flaaffy. I also came across an instance where I ended up running out of moves in a battle, at which point my Gastly used Crunch, and then had 64 Confuse Rays. The move also had maxed out in terms of PP. That's all the bugs I've found so far. Other than that, the hack's been relatively stable. I'm looking forward to continuing this hack! I'll give Nuzlocke mode a try eventually.

Back