• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

Red hack: Pokémon Maize Version [BETA 3 RELEASED]

AluminiumOxide

Aka Ansirent
Years
  • DV Ball ? what is it ? And item stone ? Scouter ring ? I would like to know about it. Tell me what can these item do ?

Years
    • Seen Mar 29, 2024
    DV Ball ? what is it ? And item stone ? Scouter ring ? I would like to know about it. Tell me what can these item do ?

The first post of this thread has descriptions for all of the new items. You can even read about the items that aren't obtainable in this current beta.

Years
    • Seen Mar 29, 2024
    I've been away from my computer for over a month now, but now I'm looking forward to getting back to working on Maize in a couple of days. Here is a list of new features that I'll be working on for the final release if this hack:

1. Shiny pokemon (compatible with g/s/c shinies)
    2. Fairy type, along with lots if new moves
    3. Happiness (friendship), along with appropriate evolutions involving happiness
    4. Lots more pokemon (all eeveelutions, baby pokemon, etc.)
    5. Dive as an HM
    6. Cooking system will replace traditional items such has potions, ethers, etc.
    7. Covenants to join, which give you special abilities/perks (see Dark Souls covenants)
    8. Bridges (like in Black and White)
    9. The actual storyline along with lots of rewarding side quests

classiccartoonsftw

Nintendo is for awesome people
    Years
    • Seen Jan 18, 2017
    Can we suggest Pokemon for this hack, If yes, then I'd like to suggest:

Spoiler:

I'll leave it up to you to choose these suggestions.

Years
    • Seen Mar 29, 2024
    Can we suggest Pokemon for this hack, If yes, then I'd like to suggest:

Spoiler:

I'll leave it up to you to choose these suggestions.

Thanks for the suggestions.

Many of those are in my to-do list. I probably won't do the roselia line or miltank, but most of the others will be done. I'll also be adding tyrogue and hitmontop along with the actual way tyrogue evolves!

Years
    • Seen Jan 2, 2015
    you spoke of joining "covenants". If it's possible, could we join the evil team? That'd be so sweet!

*EDIT* I also second the Skorupi line being added!

Years
    • Seen Mar 29, 2024
    you spoke of joining "covenants". If it's possible, could we join the evil team? That'd be so sweet!

*EDIT* I also second the Skorupi line being added!

I haven't fully developed the covenants yet. I'm imagining them working something like this:
    - you may only be in one covenant at a time
    - being in a certain covenant gives you a special ability, effect, item, etc.
    - joining a covenant requires performing some non-trivial task (every time you join it).

I'll be inserting the Skorupi line, too!

Years
    • Seen Mar 29, 2024
    I just released Beta 2.1 which contains 2 bug fixes.

1. Added an NPC in Agate City Pokemon Center who can provide the player with Pokemon that can learn each HM. This is to prevent the player from getting stuck in Nuzlocke Mode if they don't have any Pokemon that can learn Fly, for example. The player must sacrifice one of his Pokemon to gain a new Pokemon. The new Pokemon have 0 DVs, and they are level 2, so you really don't want one unless you're stuck in the game. If the player is NOT playing in Nuzlocke Mode, the NPC doesn't give this option to the player.

2. Fixed placement of Basalt Cave ladder placement, so the player can no longer walk out of the map and crash the game. (Exhibit A: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JXj3xnJWyGk&t=26m42s)

--------------------------------------

I also realized that I accidentally lied earlier. The Scouter Ring is NOT obtainable in this beta. The Hustle Ring IS obtainable.

Years
    • Seen Mar 29, 2024
    Here some updates about what I've done in the past few days:
    1. Added Shiny pokemon. They are compatible with G/S/C shiny pokemon, too. This means that if you trade from Maize to Gold, or Gold to Maize, the "shininess" will be kept intact! The Shiny encounter rate is the usual 1/8192 chance. Whenever a shiny pokemon appears on screen during a battle, the screen flashes. Also, when viewing the stats screen, an exclamation mark is in the top left corner to indicate that it's shiny. I realize that those aren't the usual colors for Bulbasaur and Mareep's shiny sprites. In Gen 1, each pokemon doesn't have its own color palette. Instead, they share from a group of 10 color palettes.
    IDdEHy4.png
    l6T9ukM.png

2. Added Fairy type. I still need to actually add Fairy type moves and new pokemon, but pokemon such as Wigglytuff and Mr. Mime are now part Fairy.
    3. The Scouter Ring now shows the sum of the IVs of the wild pokemon, rather than only telling you when a wild pokemon is really good. It says "The Scouter Ring flashed 42!", for example. 42 would mean that the pokemon is above average, since the highest the sum of the IVs can be is 75. (Note, you can't actually obtain the Scouter Ring in this Beta 2.1)
    4. Flame Charge now actually raises Speed, like it's supposed to.

Next steps:
    1. Add Happiness (used for Eevee evolving and others, Return and Frustration's base power, etc.)
    2. Add Shiny Ball that makes a pokemon shiny when you catch it (a nod to Prism)
    3. Shiny Ring that increases Shiny encounter rate to something like 1:100.

Also, check out the first video in Fitzhogan11's new Let's Play! https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DITUHT9PmKA

Last edited:
    Years
    • Seen Apr 21, 2024
    Thanks for the shout-out Shanty :)

These new features are so ambitious keep up the great work!

Years
    • Seen Mar 29, 2024
    Thanks for the shout-out Shanty :)

These new features are so ambitious keep up the great work!

Thanks! I'm glad I watched your second video because I accidentally forgot to change the warp for that Nickel City Pokemon Center before I made the patch file.

I'll be releasing Beta 2.2 containing a couple bug fixes (including that one) tomorrow. I believe save files for Beta 2.1 will be compatible with Beta 2.2, too. No guarantees, though.

Years
    • Seen Mar 29, 2024
    Just released Beta 2.2. Beta 2.1 save files should be compatible with Beta 2.2. No promises, though!
    - Added Shiny Pokémon that are trade-compatible with G/S/C. Wild encounter rate is the usual 1/8192 chance.
    - Added Shiny Ring that increases shiny encounter rate to 1/64!
    - Added Shiny Ball that makes a captured Pokémon shiny.
    - Added Fairy type, but no Fairy moves. Clefairy/Clefable/Jigglypuff/Wigglytuff/Mr. Mime were re-typed.
    - Fixed some various bugs.

This will be the last version I release until the complete version is done. (Unless some bad bugs are discovered in Beta 2.2)

EDIT: I created a twitter account for Maize development and Gen 1 hacking. There isn't anything there, yet, but hopefully I might have some interesting things to say! https://twitter.com/ShantyTownRed

Years
    • Seen Apr 21, 2024
    I'm guessing if you have a shiny encounter in Nuzlocke mode (barring the first encounter in each route) you won't be able to catch the shiny Pokemon?

Years
    • Seen Mar 29, 2024
    I'm guessing if you have a shiny encounter in Nuzlocke mode (barring the first encounter in each route) you won't be able to catch the shiny Pokemon?

Correct. There aren't any special exceptions made for shiny encounters. Muahaha. (Just so you know, the Shiny Ring is given to you by a girl in Prof. Cedar's Lab way back in Lapis Town... The Shiny Ball is somewhere on the route west of Nickel City. I added some hidden items to that route after I heard you mention the fact that ROM hackers tend not to place hidden items very well.)

Years
    • Seen Mar 29, 2024
    Good to see you're keeping up with this ROM hack, Shanty! Pretty soon you'll have a complete hack! I hope this gets some more attention.

Thanks! It will still be awhile until its done, but in the meantime, I also hope it gets more attention! Haha This place seems much more interested in Gen 3 hacks, but maybe with Naturia Version, Prism, Grape (???) and Maize Version, interest in the older games will increase. I'd love to see a more active community in Gen 1 hacking. As far as people actually making Gen 1 hacks right now, I only know of 3: Danny E-33 (Pokémon Prototype), pokeglitch (Team Rocket Edition 2), and me (Maize :P).

I also just made a video that demo's two new items in Maize: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wyGHDfWRdhs

Years
    • Seen Jun 28, 2023
    Thanks for the shout out! (Though hopefully soon you'll consider TRE2 worthy of the first list ;) )

I saw that you added INFO to the item menu. good work, definitely necessary for hacks with a plethora of new items.

I also like the new pokeballs! Definitely a good way to keep the players happy. Will they be rare to come by?

On another note you mentioned that the player can join different guilds to acquire new abilities. Are the rings the result of joining a guild, or are they separate things altogether?

Keep it up!

Back