• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

FireRed hack: Pokémon Unbound [COMPLETED]

Years
    • Seen yesterday
    Thanks so much for this amazing game! :) Can't stop playing the Battle Frontier Demo, which is an amazing battle-focused game and definitely the best battle engine vs. AI to date :)
    Mainly I'm playing on my PC, but I decided to test Unbound BFD on my New 2DS with custom firmware, and I'd like to post the results here if anyone is interested :) I tried three different approaches to running the game:

1) mGBA - works perfectly fine with no glitches, the game takes a while to load (close to a minute I think), but there is no noticeable slowdown in the game itself (overworld, battles) when using mGBA 0.8.4; there is a minor slowdown and sound distortion while saving the game. Frameskip was set to 1. Note that if you're on an Old 2DS/3DS, this is likely going to be less playable, but I don't have a device like that to test how slow the game will go on it (but I'm assuming considerably slower, you might need to ramp up frameskip to get to acceptable FPS values). Note, by the way, that on mGBA 0.8.3, I couldn't get above 52-53 FPS in the overworld and there was some sound distortion because of that, but after upgrading to v0.8.4, I pretty much always get 59-60 FPS in the overworld under Frameskip 1 and there is no sound distortion. Tried all the features including saving/loading, RTC compatibility, and using all the PC boxes including the battle box, and everything worked out of the box as advertised.

2) Virtual console injection - works almost perfectly provided that care is taken to inject with a 1Mbit Flash save (=128k) and RTC enabled, there is no slowdown at all, loads the game quickly, no slowdown when saving the game. There is, however, an issue with this approach that may be a deal breaker for you depending on how you look at it: it's impossible to use the last two PC boxes, including, sadly, the "battle box" (all the mon disappear from the last box and about half the mon disappear from the second to the last box when the game is reloaded). Most likely has to do with how the 128k Flash save is implemented in virtual console injects, I guess it doesn't save everything. Outside of this issue though, the game works absolutely flawlessly at native speed.

3) TwilightMenu GBARunner2, latest version as of this writing - hangs when starting the game with the default settings, loads if "skip BIOS logo" option is turned on in the settings, but the video is slightly distorted in the bottom of the screen, and there is no provision for RTC, which breaks the day/night functionality which is critical for Unbound BFD. Didn't test saving/reloading as the game is quite broken already when running via TwilightMenu, but at least the game didn't complain about the flash save type, so I'm assuming 128k is supported.

Overall, I'd say mGBA is the definitive way to play on a N2DS/N3DS without glitches if longer load time and minor sound distortion during the save are not a problem. The game works perfectly well and all the features work correctly and as desired, the RTC clock works as advertised and there is no problem with the save type. On the other side, a virtual console inject is a decent way to play without any slowdowns whatsoever, but one has to agree not to use the amazing battle box feature to store 6 additional teams and also one has to be careful using the two last boxes in general since most pokemon in them will disappear without a trace (and I don't think this can be tweaked in any way unless they update the virtual console inject system itself somehow, if that's even possible - I tried all the variants of save types supported by the injector, there are two different 1 MBit ones, in particular, but there was no difference and the issue was exactly the same). Virtual console injects, however, may be the only acceptable solution on Old 2DS/3DS if mGBA is too slow on them (haven't tested due to the absence of the device). TwilightMenu did not offer a playable solution for Unbound BFD, unfortunately, and the game was pretty much unplayable (no RTC, visual distortion, the game hangs if the BIOS boot logo is not skipped).

Hope this helps someone who is aiming to play on a CFW'ed 2DS/3DS :)

Last edited:
    Years
    • Seen Sep 4, 2021
    Any guesstimate as to a release window for this game? Any chance of a Q1 2021 release? Really looking forward to playing this hack!

Years
    • Seen today
    @thisjustin2001

No. It's done when it's done. If I recall correctly Skeli stated this already. Either way, this goes for (nearly) all ROM hacks.

Years
    • Seen Sep 4, 2021
    @kalarie

Oh, gotcha. I haven't combed through all the pages of this post, so I didn't know Skeli said that. I just know that the hack has been between 90-95% completed for quite some time, so that's the only reason I thought there could be a release window by now.

This is one of my most anticipated ROM Hacks for any game ever, and by far my most anticipated Pokemon Hack, so it's been hard to contain my excitement sometimes. I'm sorry if I seemed impatient. Keep up the great work Skeli and team! I'll be here whenever it's ready!

Years
    • Seen Dec 9, 2020
    Is the campaign finished yet? The battle tower stuff is cool but that's the attraction I've been waiting for for the past few years.

Skeli

Lord of the Rings
    Years
  • Thanks so much for this amazing game! :) Can't stop playing the Battle Frontier Demo, which is an amazing battle-focused game and definitely the best battle engine vs. AI to date :)
    So there was actually a mistake I made in the last update of the BFD. Real hardware didn't like something I did, but in general, the virtual console I find is the best to use.

Any guesstimate as to a release window for this game? Any chance of a Q1 2021 release? Really looking forward to playing this hack!
    It's done.

Is the campaign finished yet? The battle tower stuff is cool but that's the attraction I've been waiting for for the past few years.
    It's done.

How do trade evolutions work?
    Use a Link Stone.

RELEASE
    I finished the main game. I lost the whole post I had written up, so all I can say now is enjoy! (Link is on the main page)

Jaizu

Average rom hacker
    Years
  • Congrats on all the work you did and thanks for sharing CFRU, I can fairly say you are a legend of the Rom Hacking, good luck with your project and everything you do :)

Years
  • Hell yeah, had the demo for this for ages, but never finished it (didn't wanna get to the second gym and then have to wait for the rest) but I enjoyed what I played of it and the frontier demo was great, so I am very much looking forward to finishing the full game! A big congrats for the full release, because I can tell how much effort went in to this.

Years
    • Seen Oct 26, 2022
    HOLY MOTHER ITS OUT!!! 5 YEARS OF FOLLOWING THIS, BEST CHRISTMAS GIFT EVER. Will start playing today and will update with a new post on what team i got or stuff/secrets I found xD. Good job Skeli been a wild ride and so glad to finally see this (nearly) completed!

Years
    • Seen Oct 9, 2021
    Oh oh oh!!! Gotta get my copy! Been looking forward to the main game for sometime now! Can't wait to start playing once I come home from work, as mentioned before by others what a nice Christmas present (am in the middle of a lockdown and need something to do other than work, exercise and cleaning)

Thanks @skeli very much!

Back