• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

Pokemon is going downhill

Do you think pokemon games are going downhill?

• yes

Votes: 16 23.9%
  • no

Votes: 51 76.1%

• Total voters
Years
    • Seen Feb 2, 2017
    This has happened Since Pokemon ORAS..
    XY feels incomplete and soundtrack isn't good as before..easier than previous games even without exp-share..
    ORAS art looks more cartoonish..easier than RSE..soundtrack is not interesting as RSE..No battle frontier..
    No Pokemon Z or sequels they just want us to forget about Kalos..
    we have sun and moon.. good title names.. bad legendary designs..not all pokemon designs are interesting.. again the graphics are for babies games..
    And now these stupid lazy designed Alola forms that made me post this forum.. and no I won't just get used to it I will remember how bad is it.. always.. just like MegaSlowbro..
    executor is outrageous..
    vulpix ninetails sandshrew changed colors..very original.. almost looks fanmade..

People stop accepting anything and denying the bad things..
    if you have anything to add please share..

Years
  • Yeah I agree that Alola forms are kinda cheap way to add "new" pokemon. Though I must admit that the ice type Vulpix and Ninetails look pretty cool. I don't know how they're gonna work in game (I don't know how the Megas worked either) but the general idea of having the third and final form to have and extra evolution during combat is a bit cheap and stupid.

Anyways I don't have a console for playing those games anyway so it's not gonna be my problem.

smocks

fiat lux
    Years
  • I personally don't think currently Pokémon is going downhill, imo it went downhill XY from it just being a basic game. + The reboot of ORAS was really disappointing overall compared to the other remakes.
    But currently, the news they have about SM and the content they'd showed for SM looks really good imo. It's something NEW to the franchise, which it really needs because XY was just a simple copy of the same game format thats been overused.
    The creativity that's flowing from SM is something I really enjoy, it's refreshing to have something new introduced in the franchise than the same old boring evil team + league format.
    + I am totally up for Alolan forms. Think about it. Alola is like no other region we had ever had before. It's tropical, exotic, and you would expect Pokémon to adapt to this new region, right? That's Alolan forms for you, it's not like they're mega-versions or anything, they jus thane very very slight stat differences, different abilities, different typings, and different designs. Think of it as Shellos & Gastrodon. Same Pokémon just a different design from them originating in a different environment.
    (+ Alola vulpix & Ninetales are too beautiful. Like c'mon, how can you say no to that. It's amazing.)
    But the only thing that I'm iffy about is the "Z-Moves" thats just a bit overkill for me. I would prefer if we'd gotten Megas instead but it's okay, I'm going to live lol

If you think that Pokémon is going downhill, please judge once you'd played the SM games. Who knows, you might just love it. :)

Nah

Years
    • Age 31
    • she/her, they/them
    • Seen yesterday
    I think people have been saying that Pokemon's going downhill since Ruby/Sapphire or something lol

The way I see it, the franchise is at a turning point with Sun/Moon. My biggest issues with the series right now are how formulaic it is, and how Game Freak consistently will purposely leave the games unpolished (and I feel part of the reason for this is their insistence on yearly releases). Sun and Moon may potentially solve those issues. Key word is "potentially" though. We will see if they truly are polished and break from the formula. And if they do, will they keep it up, or will it be a one-time thing? If it's the latter, then I think it would not be unreasonable to say that the series is going downhill. But again, we shall see.

Also, just saying:
    bad legendary designs..not all pokemon designs are interesting
    This applies to every single generation and will always apply to all (future) generations.

Last edited:
    Years
  • Whilst it's strange that Game Freak ditched an incomplete Kalos and mega evolution along with it (it's looking that way anyway) for Generation 7, the innovative features of Alola will make for something refreshing that the Pokemon series needs. At first I though Alola forms were a bit...meh..but after watching the video they actually look really cool.

As far as XY and ORAS are concerned, they were the first games Game Freak have made which utilises a 3D engine on a handheld console. Although they were easy, the games brought Pokemon to life in new ways and gave us some great games. Pokemon won't be at the heights of years gone by for a while in my opinion but I definitely think Sun and Moon are a step in the right direction.

someguy.fromnevada

I don't know anymore...
    Years
    • Seen Aug 17, 2016
    If I may share my opinion, I don't think Pokemon is going downhill, but more or less, giving us something new to fiddle with. Indeed, as the series continue, pokemon are becoming more and more obnoxious, but at the same time, you have to appreciate the beauty in it. Like, yeah... Trubbish is a really stupid Pokemon (in my opinion), but at the same time, I can appreciate the fact that they made something really stupid (a bag of garbage) into a pretty decent Pokemon.

For me, Pokemon has always been both really stupid and yet unbelievably addicting. Like yeah, there will always be obnoxious flaws and Pokemon made from the most generic of ideas (example: Gen 1 GeoDude... a rock with arms, like... really bro?), but at the same time, this is a franchise which refuses to die and somehow keeps people playing one way... or another.

As I said above, it's really stupid, but you can't help but appreciate how it has brought a community together. Of course, there is no community that doesn't have chaos and insanity from people saying "my gen is better" or "that pokemon is crap, you're dumb", but in the end, we are all connected as one... with a goal in mind... to become the best. Sure, not all of us will become the best and not all of us are trying to become the best, but all of us want to play and that's what counts. We want to play and as the years continue to pass, we keep getting more to play.

We have vast communities of people able to hack these games and expand on the idea, people able to create their own pokemon and their own stories, people able to make the world of Pokemon less about becoming a Pokemon Master and more about "becoming a Pokemon Trainer". Sure, there will always be hacks and edits that keep to the same old storyline, but in the end of it all, there will always be a new story, another NPC getting the chance to be more than a nobody.

Not to mention, Pokemon has done the one thing that every other video game hasn't yet... brought people outside to actually meet each other. (Yes, I'm talking about Pokemon Go) Sure, it is dangerous because there are people out there who use this as a way to creep on others or even cause more problems, but then again, there is no such thing as a completely safe world.

I'll be honest, if it wasn't for pokemon, I wouldn't have met my wife. Both of us became absolutely infatuated and then finally in love with each other after realizing how quickly we bonded over the idea of Pokemon itself, how we realized that both of us just simply wanted to have an adventure, tell a story of our own, find out that this world is more than what the eye can see.

Pokemon is just one of those game series(es?) that makes people understand themselves, makes people go "hey, who do I want to be? Do I really want to be a Champion? Do I really want to be a Pokemon Master? Do I want to explore untold worlds and vast wastelands?"

Don't get me wrong, Pokemon is unbelievably flawed and full of obnoxious and irritating people, but that is just how things are. There is no such thing as a completely "friendly" and "open-minded" society and community. This is just life and Pokemon has somehow found a way to make it's world... part of our world.

Sure, the trailer lied to us in some way and blew the idea out of proportion and as always, many pokemon games are turning into nothing more than a money snag, but at the same time, you can't say that Pokemon hasn't done anything good. I mean, let's face it... not many of us want to be outdoors, and with Pokemon Go, many of us are now. Heck, I have friends that are so obnoxiously lazy, it pains me to see them wither away like that, but when Pokemon Go came out, they spent a large portion of their free time walking around and even running around.

THINK ABOUT IT... what happens once they implement all 720+ pokemon into that game? This means Pokemon Go (if improved) might just end up replacing all other Pokemon games and become the OFFICIAL "go-to" pokemon game. Heck, if Pokemon Go becomes playable OFFLINE (or without a server) and you can do things like LAN-battles (no idea if you can or not, I haven't actually played Pokemon Go yet) then think of the possibilities. There will be hundreds (if not thousands) of people walking around day and night, searching for all 700+ pokemon, getting enough exercise to power up a generator. Heck, most of my neighbors spend less time indoors and more time outdoors now, and even, I've seen that game bring families together as a team, pursuing pokemon all at the same time, going on legitimate adventures up mountainsides and across rivers, it is amazing. Think about it... what if Pokemon Go expands even further, what if you have to actually go outside of your hometown? What if you need to actually visit locations or go to specific areas or wait for the weather to change to make special pokemon appear?

With enough time and effort, this game can really be something truly special.

And once again, don't get me wrong, Pokemon is obnoxiously broken and full of flaws and errors that make the communities as well as the games themselves into nothing more than a chaotic formation of some sort, but in the end, it's just nice to see more people actually outside and not so many people sitting down all the time. Like come on, it's nice knowing that not so many people are sitting indoors, snacking on junk food, and playing the same old pokemon games (which I still play from time to time).

Socratic

Howdy
    Years
  • Ever since I realized that disliking new things simply for being new was a waste of time, I've enjoyed the new games much more. Granted, I haven't played any Gen VI games, and there are always issues with new games compared to old. However, there are also wonderful things added with every installation (can't think of any that would relate, I haven't played a pokemon game with new eyes in years)

One thing to remember, though, is that someone a few years in the future will look back to these times with nostalgia and say
    "KalosConfirmed"
    :P

Years
    • Seen Jan 1, 2023
    in some ways it's nice to see Pokemon take a different approach right now. Pokemon designs have been a big hit or miss for me since unova. Some of the new designs coming out are nice and others and just meh for me. I'll still try them out and make a final judgement after, but so far this region hasn't been capturing me too much with the designs.

The island challenges seem interesting. I'm really really hoping each island is going to be so uniquely different. And not just different pokemon forms.

I'd like to see a third Kalos game too, but I don't keep up with news so idk if it's confirmed they're never get back to it. But hey you never know.

Years
    • Seen Feb 2, 2017
    Also, just saying:

This applies to every single generation and will always apply to all (future) generations.

I liked the gen6 legendary designs from the first time and not to mention they weren't a lot, but these legends now all are robotic so far..

Kabocha❤

Feeling sleepy...
    Years
  • Well, I personally don't see you giving us reasons to think Pokemon is going downhill. All you did was say your opinions about the art style, designs and music without actually giving us universal proof that Pokemon is going downhill. Anyways, even though I don't have a 3DS, the games look great and they were always easy anyways. If the Alola forms are irking you, that's your problem, they're just new ways of enjoying old Pokemon.

Years
    • Seen Feb 2, 2017
    Well, I personally don't see you giving us reasons to think Pokemon is going downhill. All you did was say your opinions about the art style, designs and music without actually giving us universal proof that Pokemon is going downhill. Anyways, even though I don't have a 3DS, the games look great and they were always easy anyways. If the Alola forms are irking you, that's your problem, they're just new ways of enjoying old Pokemon.
    I think most people agree they were bothered by the lackness in XY and no
    ORAS battle frontier or rematches I've already explained it didn't I?
    I don't see how if they were the first 3d Pokemon games then it's excusable..
    For now we'll see about sun moon content, but these alola forms are just lazy..

Last edited:

blue

gucci
    Years
  • I feel optimistic with the directon of S/M and I'm loving the unique designs of the new Pokemon so far. I wasn't too impressed with X/Y I'll admit, but Sun & Moon seem to be making a few interesting changes which I'm more than happy to embrace.

Kabocha❤

Feeling sleepy...
    Years
  • I think most people agree they were bothered by the lackness in XY and no
    ORAS battle frontier or rematches I've already explained it didn't I?
    I don't see how if they were the first 3d Pokemon games then it's excusable..
    For now we'll see about sun moon content, but these alola forms are just lazy..

I don't see it as that big of a deal, aren't online battles enough? I mean, they're cool features, but still. And the 3D games have quite a lot of features anyways and Alola Forms are a touchy subject, I personally love them.

Karous

Captain Obvious
    Years
  • You're either losing interest with the games in general (I solved this problem by getting into competitive play, for those not inclined towards that I recommend participating more in the fandom like doing art or ROM hacks or w/e) or can't understand that not liking some aspects of the game doesn't mean not liking the game. No game is perfect, hell I've criticized a lot of aspects of the 6th gen games but this is offset by me also finding things to like.

The idea of Pokemon going downhill is ridiculous, because there is no objective standard of what Pokemon should be or what the best games are considered to be. Can you answer the question of what a good Pokemon game is and what criteria is used to determine this? Odds are, there will be as many answers as there are Pokemon. Fuck, you won't even get a consensus of the difference between main series and spinoff since Stadium and Colosseum blur the lines and may be included in this analysis.

All that matters, objectively, is that they continue to sell a lot of copies and Gamefreak will continue to make them with changes that some people won't like, but most will. All that matters from a subjective standpoint is that many people do continue to enjoy the games.

And now these stupid lazy designed Alola forms that made me post this forum.. and no I won't just get used to it I will remember how bad is it.. always.. just like MegaSlowbro..
    executor is outrageous..
    vulpix ninetails sandshrew changed colors..very original.. almost looks fanmade..

I actually 100% agree with you on this point, I think the Alolan forms are stupid and lazy pandering bullshit, but this doesn't mean Sun & Moon will be bad games. It's absurd to judge the entire game's quality on a couple of lousy designs, especially since we will get many more new Pokemon to play with. I'm looking forward to them actually, the gameplay is what matters most even though gen 1 pandering is obnoxious and I hate it - XY did it in spades and while the storyline was crap, it more than made up for excellent online play and mechanics that favor collectors. I'll just avoid using them; we are likely to push to nearly 900 unique Pokemon species and forms with S&M and it's easy enough to just not use a tiny fraction that offends the senses.

Last edited:

sCam

Killing is a pleasure
    Years
    • ny
    • Seen Dec 18, 2016
    For me, One thing I never cared about was pokemon designs. While I do have my favorite kinds of pokemons. I've come to realise in the end there's a pokemon for everyone and you don't need to like every pokemon.

Flurantis is probably going to beat weavile as my favorite pokemon. I was always a strong lover of grass types, but they were really weak in competitive, but this girl/guy looks to be powerful and really well designed and thought out.

I like the new alola forms honestly. there could probably be one you like that isn't even reveal yet. I like to see changes in games that break rules you never thought existed and some of these pokemon if they didn't have mega evolutions deserve this at least.

Since Black2/White2 I thought pokemon was going up hill. I never thought they would cater to both new pokemasters, competitive battlers, and casuals at the same time. what they did in X/Y was amazing. They made it easier to min/max your pokemon in evs/ivs for the hardcore battlers, the casuals can play with their cute pokemon in amie, and the new people can make it past the story easily without knowing 18 types of weakness, and resistance.

Sun & Moon looks good to me so far. Let's see what they got in store for us before we judge. I think pokemon just keeps getting better and better imo.

Pinkie-Dawn

Vampire Waifu
    Years
  • This has happened Since Pokemon ORAS..
    XY feels incomplete and soundtrack isn't good as before..easier than previous games even without exp-share..
    Pokémon is a baby's first RPG since the very first generation. The older you are, the easier the games have become. But that doesn't mean it's a bad thing, just look at the Kirby games, which are notoriously easy too. What is easy to you may be hard to someone else.

ORAS art looks more cartoonish..easier than RSE..soundtrack is not interesting as RSE..No battle frontier..
    ORAS's difficulty is the same as RSE (it even has the original E4 layout, which fans wanted back because the current layout was "too easy" for them). You're beginning to sound more like mariotehplumber when complaining about the art style. The overuse of trumpets was a major complaint of RSE's original soundtrack. And the reason for no Battle Frontier was due to the majority of players having trouble beating them.

No Pokemon Z or sequels they just want us to forget about Kalos..
    Game Freak said they were going to wrap up Kalos' story in a unique way, which happens to be at Sun and Moon now that Zygarde's forms are confirmed to appear in those games.

we have sun and moon.. good title names.. bad legendary designs..not all pokemon designs are interesting.. again the graphics are for babies games..
    Really? You're going to call the graphics "babies games? This is beginning to sound more like complaining than civil criticism. And how good are the Pokémon's designs is suggestive.

executor is outrageous..
    I dunno, I could see genwunners actually praising the Alola forms and wished they existed as early as Gen 3 so Game Freak didn't have to create more new Pokémon based on animals already covered before.

People stop accepting anything and denying the bad things..
    if you have anything to add please share..
    I'm going to copy/paste what I said in one of my discussions from Disquis:

"I can tell you what's causing Pokémon to die, but it's not what the author was describing, it's the community he's a part of. And it's also why companies like Game Freak should never consider taking suggestions from their own fans, because they really don't know what they want."

This applies to the thread's OP too.

Nah

Years
    • Age 31
    • she/her, they/them
    • Seen yesterday
    Island Challenge is essentially still gyms really

Years
  • Why replace gyms with islands challenge when they can instead include both?

As Nah said, Island Challenges are pretty much going to be similar to Gyms. It's known that Alola has a notably different culture than other regions which explains their lack of Gyms.

Back