• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

Pokemon Nicknames

Years
    • Seen Nov 25, 2022
    Sometimes I do nicknames, not too often though. I used to like to name my Porygons Trojan and my scolipedes Pandora (as long as they are female, that is). I recall that I also named my Inteleon V, my coalossal Comet, and my Falinks Starforce.

Years
    • Seen Nov 9, 2023
    I just started nicknaming pokemon, and honestly I don't know how i got through the games without it before.
    I usually only name my favorites though, ones that will for sure have a place in my team, but also only when I feel it fits.

I can only remember a few right now but, let's see there's mudkip the oshawott (now dewott), Akira the abra (kadabra) , ALI the primeape, Jason the sandshrew (because he becomes a slasher) and now I have Madoka the cleffa.

That's most the good ones i can remember, but i also have a bidoof I'm thinking of naming either thanos or broly, haven't used him much yet though.

Oh and I forgot StoneOcean the Butterfree & MONSTAR* the shroomish

nevermind I already named my bidoof Shaggy. ;)

Last edited:
    Years
  • Sometimes I do nicknames, not too often though. I used to like to name my Porygons Trojan and my scolipedes Pandora (as long as they are female, that is). I recall that I also named my Inteleon V, my coalossal Comet, and my Falinks Starforce.

i love the name Trojan for Porygon! i'm using this as inspiration for VPP in the future hehe

mudkip the oshawott

top tier

Years
    • Seen today
    I don't immediatly nickname everything I catch because most of the time I don't even have defined which Pokémon will actually be on my team, so I like to catch everything I can and see what options I have first. Once I've decided my final team, if I can come up with good and fitting names for each of them I nickname them, otherwise no. If it's a themed run and I already have a planned team before even starting the game, then yes, I'll most likely have enough time to think of a name for them.

RadEmpoleon

Empress of Randomness
    Years
  • I almost always give nicknames. I guess it's a way to be a bit more creative or put a special little touch on my Pokémon. There's never a specific theme, but I usually reuse nicknames (Floralia for Lilligant, PixieQueen for Clefable, The Pulse for Lucario, etc.)

Years
    • Seen Oct 31, 2023
    I always call them something cool. My first ever Pokémon was AquaTiC the Mudkip in Sapphire but then I renamed him to HydroNinja. Most of the names for my Pokémon are something that is cool and fits them. Like Stompatron the Nidoking since Nidoking looks like if it used Stomp, it would OHKO anything. There are some simple names that I give to Pokémon like my starter Metallic the Beldum in the ROM hack Pokémon Unbound ( I cannot stress this enough, highly recommend playing ). It became a Metagross but I like the nickname so I kept it. There is also PewPewBirb the Toucannon since, cannon is in the name. FlaminKick the Blaziken, since because Blaze Kick, although I never used it on Blaziken, I JUST HATE HOW IT IS NOT THE SIGNATURE MOVE OF BLAZIKEN. There are also some cases like Ollie and Blubby the Walreins. Ollie was a random name and Blubby is a reference to JaidenAnimation's Walrein in her Ruby Nuzlocke.

Years
    • Seen Jun 21, 2021
    I never used to nickname them because I wanted to make sure I knew what the Pokemon's name actually was. My current play through I've actually started using nicknames and I'm having a lot of fun with it! I like to use random name generators to choose a name.

Years
    • She/Her, It/Its
    • Seen today
    Whenever I use nicknames I pick mostly videogame or anime series characters. Sometimes I also make up some new names depending on what the Pokemon I nickname is going to do.

My player name on the other hand is usually the name of one of my OCs.

Years
  • I never used to nickname them because I wanted to make sure I knew what the Pokemon's name actually was. My current play through I've actually started using nicknames and I'm having a lot of fun with it! I like to use random name generators to choose a name.

this is me right now with romhacks featuring fakemon. i try my best to capture only fakemon for the run, and not nickname them so i can familiarize myself with their real species name. if i capture a legit mon tho, it's getting named still.

Years
    • Seen Oct 31, 2023
    this is me right now with romhacks featuring fakemon. i try my best to capture only fakemon for the run, and not nickname them so i can familiarize myself with their real species name. if i capture a legit mon tho, it's getting named still.

Whenever I play a fan game or ROM hack with Fakémon and actually use them, I usually just name them normally. Right now in my Uranium playthrough, I have AquaticVolt the Eletruxo, Land Drake the Terlard, Mad Sheep the Baariette and FastFreeze the Alpico. But I get it, sometimes whenever I go against someone who uses Fakémon, I always have to search up their type and such..

Noblejanobii

The Maddest Shaymin
    Years
  • It depends on the playthrough for me. Some I go with naming schemes others I just pick what fits them. I nickname most if not all my Pokémon with the exception of if I'm catching them en masse to complete the Pokédex.

Typically the theme I use the most though is mythological weaponry/items.

The Fairy Pokémon

Loves glitter
    Years
  • I usually always give my pokémon a nickname to feel more connected with them. I don't really follow a theme though, I just pick something that I think suits the
    pokémon when I catch it.

Years
    • she / they
    • Seen Jan 12, 2024
    I usually always give my pokémon a nickname to feel more connected with them. I don't really follow a theme though, I just pick something that I think suits the
    pokémon when I catch it.

This! ( ˘ ³˘)♡

Though I didn't always assign names to Pokémon, it's something I've been doing for years now and I love it. Some Pokémon will always have the same name in my eyes, but otherwise I try to match nicknames with where the region is based off of, if that makes sense.

Back