• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

question: do you care about the aesthetics of your console?

Years
  • I ask because whenever a new console gets released, it takes about a while before some sort of "special/limited edition" decorative console is released, and I often question whether or not it would've been a better decision to wait, haha.

do any of you care about these special/limited edition consoles? do you go out of your way to get them, or are you fine with regular-looking consoles?

Last edited:
    Years
    • Age 29
    • Seen May 16, 2024
    I think I like the idea of a cool-looking console, and I'm jealous when my friends have one, but in the end I usually just get the regular ones especially if they are cheaper than the limited edition ones because I tend to like my money more, haha.

Years
  • I'm happy enough with the base design. Seems like a waste to spend all the extra money on special editions that half the time look worse not better. Furthest I've gone was making sure my Switch doesn't have the stupid looking mismatched joycons.

Last edited:
    Years
    • she / they
    • Seen Jan 12, 2024
    I usually don't go further than to just get one of the pre-made color variants. Like when the 3DS launched with blue, black, red, and white (iirc??), I got the red one since it looked nice, but I'm definitely not going to pay more for it unless it's really something special!

Bidoof FTW

[cd=font-family:carter one; font-size:13pt; color:
    Years
  • I don't care too much about the design of the console, but in a somewhat similar vein I am absolutely in love with nice looking controllers.

Xbox has this whole website where you can go and create a customized controller with tons of different options and colors, you want a shiny gold controller with white buttons? You got it. You want it so be pink and black? Easy. It's crazy how many things you can do to it.

And then here I am with a playstation and the coolest looking controller I've seen is a slightly different shade of blue, it's really disappointing. The amount of money I would pay to have the ability to pimp out a controller is ridiculous.

At least the switch gives me some colorful options, so I'm not missing out TOO much

Last edited:

Adam Levine

[color=#ffffff][font="Century Gothic"]I have tried
    Years
  • No. I only got my Smash Edition Switch because it came with the game. Couldn't really care much about the design, unless it's prone to wearing out.

Years
  • Interesting enough, I fit on both sides, here!

I have a base edition Switch, and I think I'm okay with that. I think the Smash Edition and the LGPE Edition are kinda cool, but I wouldn't go out of my way to splurge on an additional Switch or anything like that. I don't particularly feel strongly enough about that and I'm ok with my Switch as it is.

...although not gonna lie, I could do with better coloured Joycons.

But I also have a white GameStop "exclusive" Playstation 4. I was browsing around when I was looking for a PS4 to buy and I just happened to see GameStop selling one of these, so after a few days of thinking about it, I was like well... why not? If I'm going to keep this console for years to come, it might as well look nice, right?

Overall though, I feel like it kinda depends on the design for me. I'm not going to be too upset or anything if I'm missing out on something cooler (although it would be a bummer), but if I don't have the console already, then I feel like I would be more inclined to wait until the special edition versions come out.

Years
    • they/them
    • Seen Apr 19, 2024
    I was gonna say no but realized pretty quickly that that'd be lying lmao. I love that my New 3DS is the retro white version, and my computer is white and black and hawt.

Years
    • they/them
    • Seen Dec 11, 2023
    I normally end up getting the base design unless I get lucky enough to where there's a special edition that I like around the time I'm planning on buying the console. That said, the only limited edition or special anything I have is my Galaxy 3DS so it's definitely not something that's really all that important to me.

Years
  • oh I forgot that I also have a Monster Hunter Ultimate N3DSXL

because I needed another 3DS and the plain colour ones are kinda boring to me ngl u.u

Sydian

fake your death.
    Years
  • i like the idea of a cool looking console and one that's tailored to my taste, but i don't go out of the way for it. i have the pokemon XY 3DSXL, the animal crossing N3DS, wind waker wii u, hmmm i think that's it. i did purposely go after those 3DSes though, despite having a regular blue 3DS already lmfao. the wii u tho, that just happened to be the only one at gamestop that day so i was like alright. Hella.

but other than that, like as long as i can get a color option usually, i'm fine w whatever. i have the switch w the red and blue joycons and that's fine for me, i like that little pop of color. and i have a white PS4 bc it got traded in one night and i didn't want boring black so i told my manager i'd come in the next day with my cash and buy it lmfao.

Harmonie

Winds ღ
    Years
  • I really don't care all of that much. With that said, I'd love to have pink Joy-Cons for my Switch (apparently if you buy a US Splatoon and EU [I think?] Splatoon set, they're switched around, so you can get two pink ones!) but it's just too darn expensive. Especially the buying two of them that I'd need to even be able to get a pink set. =(

Years
  • Kind of. If I can snag something that looks a bit cooler than the base console/handhold, I'll grab it. If not, pretty much anything I've bought has had good basic aesthetics, so I've been happy with it as it is. Or even if I didn't -- I didn't really want a teal 3DS but I kept it because it was a gift and got over not having a black one.

I've been into customization more lately. The biggest thing I like about my New 3DS is the cover plate system -- it can look as cool or as plain as I want. The Switch kind of has that with the Joycons; I picked up the neon console and got the extra neon Joycon set to make a pair of red and a pair of blue. And though it's technically not usually used for gaming, I got some sweet pink and beige key caps for my keyboard because if it's pink, I want it.

tigertron

Pokémon Master
    Years
  • I do care about console designs, but the internal specs are much more important. Better to have an ugly looking console that's powerful than a pretty one that's weak.

Firebolt

Reach for my hand~
    Years
  • I'm not too fussed on aesthetics, as most developers these days at least have the common sense to make the console somewhat sleek-looking. What bothers me more is when a 'Pro', 'New', etc. version of the console is released later that boasts much more powerful processing and graphical capabilities. It starts eating away at me that I don't have the 'best' version of my console and I could be enjoying all of those other benefits, but at the same time, I know that at the end of the day it's still (mostly) a waste of money unless I have a really good reason to upgrade (like my old console not working anymore).

However, I enjoy aesthetics on the software side of things a lot more. It bothers me that the Nintendo Switch doesn't offer any other UI themes except "Black" and "White". I'd pay some relatively stupid money to be able to have a Zelda or something themed UI instead.

TOKZK

Gen II veteran/breaker
    Years
  • If they offer a unique and aesthetically pleasing UI theme and boot animation (like the xbox 360 blue special edition boot animation), then yes. If not, then I'll just stick with dark mode, plates, stickers, controller skins and 3rd party cases.

Cherrim

PSA: Blossom Shower theme is BACK ♥
    Years
  • I love having cute/pretty consoles, but my impatience to get a console tends to get the better of me. So often my first console isn't anything special at all but if I ever get another one, either for fun or as a replacement, I tend to go for something flashier.

For example!
    GBA - My brother and I shared a standard GBA for years and then he got a GBA SP and I got jealous so I got a pretty blue SP that I still adore to this day.
    DS - Similar story. My brother and I shared an original phat DS for a long time and eventually he got his own DS Lite. Again, I got jealous, and got my own. But later on, I upgraded again, getting the hot pink DSi. (And again, when I was in Japan for the first time and found the limited edition TWEWY DS Lite for like $15.)
    3DS - Had the chunky old ones for both my Japanese and North American 3DSes. The NA one died so I had to replace it and picked the limited edition Pokeball 2DS version. It's so pretty and I love it! But the huge screen made me realize I wanted to upgrade my JP one too, so I ended up getting a pastel pink 3DS LL.
    PSP - I got a standard silver PSP (2000?) when I first got mine and it's definitely seen better days. The lid for the battery slot had to be replaced but I couldn't get the right part so it stuck out awkwardly. Then in Japan, again, I saw the blossom pink PSP for like... $30?? It'd been a grail item of mine for AGES so seeing it at an amazing price (as opposed to $200-300 like the internet wanted me to pay) was a no-brainer. :)
    PS3 - So I've had several PS3s, lol. The first one I got wasn't quite a first-run, because it didn't have the PS2 emulation, but it was that initial 40GB version and it lasted quite a few years before... it yellow-lighted on me. So I got a new one, a slim, and used that. But last year I also found the Tales of Xillia PS3 for a really good price, so I got it. Xillia is my favourite Tales game and the design is really striking, so I'm super happy about it. I haven't even decided if I'll use it yet... I might just display it only. We'll see!
    PS4 - Okay this one I straight up went for a limited edition one, knowing I'd be replacing it eventually if I didn't, and no regrets so far! I got the pretty blue Uncharted 4 PS4 and it came with a matching controller and I absolutely love the colour. I expect I'll get a Pro one day but for now I'm very content.

I've basically almost gotten all my grail consoles, but I would love to get my hands on:
    - Kingdom Hearts 3 PS4
    - Pikachu/Pichu edition GBC
    - KH Chain of Memories GBA SP
    - the matching PS3 controller for the Tales of Xillia console. It came bundled with limited editions of the sequel
    - maybe one of those hot pink Vitas japan got???

Anyway look at some of my beautiful consoles. ♡
    Spoiler:

Last edited:
    Back