• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

Chit-Chat: Roleplayers Daily Chit-Chat Thread (◕‿◕✿)

FireSnow

Show me that Fighting Spirit
Years

• You guys ever had a roleplay that you can't bring yourself to contribute too, even if there are certain aspects you love?

Looks sadly towards every RP I'm not currently part of But actually I really liked the concepts of I Am and Vale but there was just no way I would be able to find the time to post in that if I managed to even make it in to either one. My one hope is that PMD comes back soon, that RP was/is bae.

What are some RPs or specific RP ideas that you wish would get revived?

Ozymandias

i'm going on a journey
    Years
  • I, uh, just mentioned both of the things I'm in. I reeeaaally wish I could sign up for Sekirei though. Alas, I couldn't in good conscience do it.

;-; Mayo join Sekirei with me. We could finally rp together!!

What are some RPs or specific RP ideas that you wish would get revived?

Poke-Link is apparently getting revived pretty soon so i'm excited for that <3
    well other than that there's not really much.... TITANS2.0TITANS2.0TITANS2.0TITANS2.0TITANS2.0TITANS2.0TITANS2.0

Years
    • they/them
    • Seen Apr 19, 2024
    TITANS. TITANSTITANSTISNSJD

Well to be fair, I actually enjoyed "superpower" RPs better when my character was a rather normal person just happening to have gotten a power, rather than when we were expected to actually be superheroes, as in Titans. But Titans was just amazing for many other reasons.

I might enjoy a setting akin to Guilded Halls or Atlantis more (: Where we play regular people having been struck with-
    brb writing up a Heroes RP idea.

Which I'm not going to GM, but perhaps I can convince someone else to GM it for me ahah.

Sweet Dreams

[I]are made of these~[/I]
    Years
  • What are some RPs or specific RP ideas that you wish would get revived?

Okay, I know they're considered all tacky and Mary Sue-ish now, but honestly? I looooved RPs involving Legendary Pokemon and "chosen people". Whether these people got the powers of/from the Legendary, or they got their own Legendary for some epic quest, I thought it was just a ton of fun. xD RPs seem to tend towards the gritty gloom and doom nowadays, but I love campy unrealistic things the most, I think.

;-; Mayo join Sekirei with me. We could finally rp together!!

;_________; Maybe one day, Ozy. I just don't have the consistent free time that I would need to be able to dedicate to it the way it deserves. Vale was a huge stretch for me, even.

Junier

Fake Friends Forever (´・ω・`)
    Years
    • Seen Dec 5, 2019
    I find that this happens to me a lot in sandbox RPs. I get really excited about the setting and my character and all the possibility... but then I lose motivation because there's nothing for my character to react to or drive them forward.

The thing about sandboxes is that you need a hype GM to get everyone into the posting mood. If they just fling you into situation with all the information you need and go on vacation, eventually things are gonna grind to a halt when people start losing that bright-eyed excitement that they applied with.

Returning roleplays are good and great when they're treated like they're brand new. When everyone in the old game joins as their original characters and get accepted immediately because "they worked last time!" and the new people whose eyes were caught by the flashy idea are turned down for these oldie goldies instead... In that case, you might as well go that old Pokemon sky pirate RP's route and just decide the cast beforehand.

Why don't more RPs do that? Don't get people's hopes up. There's one roleplay in-particular that was very biased about its cast selection to the point where I doubted that they wanted new players in the first place.

Years

• Well I mean... GMs are entitled to accept or deny anybody they want since they all have their own criteria. Some GMs, myself included, have different criteria depending on the RP they run. Still, if you think something untoward is going on please PM myself or one of the other mods.

Years
    • they/them
    • Seen Apr 19, 2024
    I feel like I've become less critical when judging SUs the longer I've been here. Not sure why.

Years
  • Interesting point about reviving old threads. I'm not gonna beat around the bush, I'm just gonna ask: when Titans comes back, do we make new characters or reapply with the old ones? Do we reboot the old characters or just copy paste the old SU? We're all intelligent and creative people, surely we have a ton of ideas. What would be best for the story?

Feel free to apply this line of thinking to any revived game. Like Sekirei, for example.

Years
    • she/her
    • home
    • Seen Aug 16, 2023
    i tend to rehash characters even for RPs that weren't necessarily rebooted (like my character for Unova → Z) simply because i tend to love characters i create, and since RPs i join often don't really get a foot off the ground... i end up not being able to use them ;;

so, i wasn't in the original Titans, but i'd say go with what you think is the most fun/have the most motivation for. that's just my two cents though, haha

Songbird

Tonight, the marigolds bloom for her.
    Years
    • Seen Apr 11, 2024
    do we make new characters or reapply with the old ones?

Why not both? New characters have different opportunities from the start, but you can change old characters pretty wildly between iterations, and it's fun to think of how to put old characters into new conditions.

Plus, maybe the GM will let you make multiple characters. :D

GreyBidoof

You used a Master Ball on the GreyBidoof!
    Years
  • In regards to making characters for revived or rebooted RPs, I think it should be up to the player and GM's discretion whether of not old characters should be reused. Would it make sense in the new format? Would it be more enjoyable than coming up with something new?

And regarding Titans, I'm excited too. Be aware that if you were in the original, you may be able to use your old character, but you definitely won't be able to just copy-paste. Things will have changed ;)

Ozymandias

i'm going on a journey
    Years
  • i agree with sb in that a mixture of both would probably be the best option o/

now if only the GM would show up and answer these questions.... *stares at doofy*

he ninja'd me

FireSnow

Show me that Fighting Spirit
    Years
  • I've kinda found that I enjoy making a new SU each time, thinking up different backgrounds, personalities and appearances each time I decide to join an RP is kinda fun and makes me feel more connected to the character I created because I know I spent some time on it, starting from scratch to build it into a character I would enjoy RPing as.

Years
    • they/them
    • Seen Apr 19, 2024
    A wild DCC appeared...
    AND IT'S HERE TO STAY i hope

And yea, I rarely re-use characters. Even when I used Aberdeen again, I changed him for Crossroads compared to how he was in whatevertheformer RP was called. Begin Again 2.0? 3.0?? Just how many times have I begun again now?

Sweet Dreams

[I]are made of these~[/I]
    Years
  • I generally only reuse characters if the reboot a) comes really soon after the first iteration so I still love everything about my character and b) is almost exactly the same as the original RP. See: Railways and Venice. To be fair, those are the only rebooted RPs I've been in in which I was also in the original edition. xD And, coincidentally, those are the only times I've ever even remotely reused a character.

There's even a few characters in RPs I'd signed up for back in the day that never even got an IC that I couldn't bring myself to use again. (Though it's been such a long time that looking back on the characters now makes me cringe inside. :P)

Speaking of which, anyone else have super cringey characters and do you or do you not like to go back and look at them? I actually like looking back because it gives me a certain sense of accomplishment that I no longer make such one-note characters lol.

Back