• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

1st Gen Rumors You Fell For

Years
gosh I tried to recreate that mew truck rumor so many times as a kid and always wondered why it didn't work

Years
my favorite one was like... if you click on the abandoned car keys in the celadon game corner enough times, you'd be able to return them to their owner who'd take you to an island to catch togepi or smth

Years
  • Age 29
  • Seen May 28, 2021
That your Pokémon could die. It was obviously a fair while ago, so I do not remember the details of the rumour very well, but it sounded convincing enough given the existence of the Pokémon Tower in Lavender Town.

toonmoves

Pokémon Maniac James
Years
The missingo glitch fed a lot of the rumors. The Mew pickup truck, I definately tried it. I did get Mew from a Toys r' us distribution. Also it was hackable with game shark.

I remember there were rumors about getting Luigi and Mario being in the game, which I saw online on rumor websites. It must have been the Nintendo Power April Fool's joke that sparked a lot of them.

I have a link but I need to post more before I can give links. I found the article about Yoshi on dkoldies

Years
  • Age 29
  • Seen Jul 29, 2021
Deoxys was accessible via the space rockets in Mossdeep.

Turns out this was true in Omega and Alpha however

TwilightBlade

All dreams are but another reality.
Years
I believed the "Mew under the truck" and "Dragonite evolves into Yoshi" rumors so much. I wasted hours trying to figure those out. I vaguely remember rumors on catching Pikablu or Marill.

I knew about the Deoxys space rock thing, but then I read a different source stating the rocket launches count the weeks in RSE so I didn't fall for that rumor. Having the internet more accessible in the mid 2000s helped.

DyingWillFlareon

Burning Candle
Years
^I do like how you could ride the spaceship after all lol

I started in Gen 3 so all my stuff came from there pretty much:
* The "if you hold certain buttons you have a higher chance to catch pokemon" rumor (that i still do out of habit)
* At a certain point, you'd be able to get on the Spaceship to get Deoxys
* Munchlax, Glaceon, and Leafeon were available in-game if you had your Snorlax hold the lax incense to breed for a small chance, and Eevee had to hold a Leaf Stone or Ice Heal while leveling up
Lol memories...
I thought shinies fell into this category too before I caught one ironically lol

Years
  • Age 33
  • Seen Jun 21, 2021
I definitely fell for the Mew under the truck one. I remember my cousin and I spending hours trying to figure out how the heck anyone was finding a Mew.

The other major one was the mash the a or b button to have a higher chance to catch a Pokemon. I still do it out of habit. I consciously tried stopping for awhile, but it's so ingrained in me to do it I can't resist lol

Years
  • Age 33
  • Seen Jan 12, 2024
I bought into Pikablu pretty hard. I had gotten a promo Marill card before I played GSC so it seemed so obvious to me that Pikachu had another evolution and it definitely has to do with Surfing Pikachu lmao.

I also remember a rumor about a garden behind Bill's house??? I remember being told it was a glitched area and you could catch wild starter Pokémon. It's pretty vague tho.

Years
  • Age 33
  • Seen Nov 9, 2023
I started in Gen 3 so all my stuff came from there pretty much:
* The "if you hold certain buttons you have a higher chance to catch pokemon" rumor (that i still do out of habit)

Hah this for me all the way from gen 1 & 2 XD, the ultra ball master ball trick, if you press and hold left right, a, b as you throw the pokeball, it'll have an increased, almost guaranteed, chance of catching the pokemon. I'd almost swear it was fact, and I still do it to this day.

DyingWillFlareon

Burning Candle
Years
Lol, its so common but there's so many weird variations of it. Mine was hold A until the ball hits the ground, then L, R, L (or reverse in some games), and then A when its already clearly been caught lol. On devices without the L/R buttons it was just Left and Right on the D-pad lol

Edit: cant remember how to quote but i clicked respond, shoot. Sorry lol

Nah

Years
  • Age 31
  • Seen yesterday
It's a little funny how there were multiple variations of the whole "do this button combination to make catching easier" thing. The hold down+B was the one I used when I was a kid.

The one other thing I remember believing when I was younger was something about how Jirachi would appear if you beat the Elite 4 100 times. Almost did beat them 100 times too, but when I got close I either got Jirachi legitimately from Colosseum, found out it wasn't true, or both.

Edit: cant remember how to quote but i clicked respond, shoot. Sorry lol
After you click respond, then click the pencil icon that should pop up in the lower right of your screen

DyingWillFlareon

Burning Candle
Years
It's a little funny how there were multiple variations of the whole "do this button combination to make catching easier" thing. The hold down+B was the one I used when I was a kid.

The one other thing I remember believing when I was younger was something about how Jirachi would appear if you beat the Elite 4 100 times. Almost did beat them 100 times too, but when I got close I either got Jirachi legitimately from Colosseum, found out it wasn't true, or both.

After you click respond, then click the pencil icon that should pop up in the lower right of your screen

Ah thanks!

Lady Bisharp

Blue noodle enthusiast
Years
I'm not sure if this counts, since it was on FireRed and wasn't really a rumor per se, but I bought into the "Arbok evolves into Seviper" thing as a kid because of that one anime episode. My Arbok was like level 60 when I found out it didn't work that way...

Years
  • Age 33
  • Seen Jan 12, 2024
Oh I thought of another one! I remember someone once telling me that you could find the other starter Pokémon in the tall grass just above the Nugget Bridge as long as you didn't battle any trainers lol.

ninestarryskies

Olivine City Outskirts Resident
Years
I always thought Togetic could somehow evolve into Lugia because they're shaped similarly and have similar typing. I also thought that Girafarig and Stantler must be related because of how close together they are in the Pokedex.

I also remember reading an article about a 'secret dragon type'pokemon you could get called Denryuu,where you'd level up a Mareep to level 30.it was just.. . The Japanese name of Ampharos iirc, I'm not sure where they got dragon type since this was well before megas.

Years
lmao this just reminds me of that time i talked to that white rock near the Mossdeep Space Center 50 times in the hopes that i could get a Jirachi. i also believed in the existence of Mewthree for a couple months. how tf was i so gullible.

Years
  • Age 34
  • Seen today
For me it was:
- Mew under the truck
- Mewtwo in armor
- B button mashing to make catching easier
- leave some Pokemon in the daycare and wait until it runs away (they give you a Togepi instead)
- something about Poke Gods (fusions of the final Starter evos iirc)

Years
Mew under the truck - ME TOO :(. After I got the Cut HM, I lost to a trainer on the S.S ANNE I hadn't battled, ON PURPOSE, returned to the pokemon centre and the ship never set sail. When I went back later, the truck was actually there, probably just a game designer having fun.. You can actually fish in that area too, I think I did anyway???

Back