• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

Self-care

pastelspectre

Memento Mori★
Years
  • hiya! hoshiko here. uh..here's a thread on self care. which is basically..taking care of yourself, to put it in simplest terms. so what do you guys do for positive self care? do you..wrap yourself up in a blanket and watch netflix? do you..read something positive? what do you do?

for self care, i usually just..read a lot of positive stuff and watch netflix a lot i guess and of course the necessities. i'm sorry if this is a vague topic, i'm not too educated on modern self care..idk ;w; sorry

EC

Years
    • he/him
    • Seen Jul 1, 2022
    I try to laugh at least once a day. No matter what. Laughing helped me get through the period of time when my mother had breast cancer, and I'm forever grateful for a certain YouTube channel I found during that time that provided plenty of laughs.

Quite frankly, I think laughing is more important in my life than listening to music, playing a video game, or watching a sporting event. Sure, they are all fun things, things I love to do. Especially with other people. But laughs are something I can rely on even when I am alone. I don't always want to listen to music, or play games, and sometimes there isn't a sporting event on that I'm interested in watching.

Laughs, however, laughs are 24/7 medicine.

noa

sleeping cutie
    Years
  • Take a hot shower with eucalyptus oil spray. While I'm under the hot water (I like pretty hot showers) I just take deep breaths and give myself positive affirmations. That usually does the trick.

pkmin3033

I try not to think about it too much. Which fails spectacularly. So I just try and take things one day/hour/minute/second (delete as appropriate) at a time. Things don't need me to look after them...which includes me. I have a good autopilot. I can delegate responsibility to that.

Years
  • Hmm, I don't think I've had a self care moment in a long time. Living in a boiler room that's like 5X6 for two years will do that to you. I guess the only self care thing I really do is play video games. Maybe when I move eventually I'll be able to do more things that help me get through my days.

Years
    • Age 29
    • Seen Mar 22, 2024
    I don't know if this fits with the type of self-care you're talking about, but at least once a week I like an evening to myself where I mix a clay mask for my skin, exfoliate, condition my hair from root to ends. Then I sit around on my bed and Netflix/Youtube while the mask dries, and take a hot shower. Maybe take a nap.

It's kind of self-care - It's not even so much about the physical results (although I do like the way my hair and skin feels after) but I personally find it a really relaxing and fun ritual and I always look forward to it. It just feels like I'm doing something nice for myself and taking care of myself.

Years
  • I usually just read or immerse myself in a show/movie/game to take care of myself and relieve any stress. Playing football and hanging out with my friends is good too :3

pastelspectre

Memento Mori★
    Years
  • I don't know if this fits with the type of self-care you're talking about, but at least once a week I like an evening to myself where I mix a clay mask for my skin, exfoliate, condition my hair from root to ends. Then I sit around on my bed and Netflix/Youtube while the mask dries, and take a hot shower. Maybe take a nap.

It's kind of self-care - It's not even so much about the physical results (although I do like the way my hair and skin feels after) but I personally find it a really relaxing and fun ritual and I always look forward to it. It just feels like I'm doing something nice for myself and taking care of myself.

i think that counts! :) you're doing something nice and treating yourself because you deserve it, right? then that counts as self care.

El Héroe Oscuro

IG: elheroeoscuro
    Years
  • I actually just wrote a college paper on self care haha.

Video games are my destressor. I'll put on some mellow music in the background and just play my heart out. It's very relaxing, although competitive Overwatch does get my blood boiling at times haha (;

I don't know if this fits with the type of self-care you're talking about, but at least once a week I like an evening to myself where I mix a clay mask for my skin, exfoliate, condition my hair from root to ends. Then I sit around on my bed and Netflix/Youtube while the mask dries, and take a hot shower. Maybe take a nap.

raw

Your kind of night sounds very relaxing <3

Years
  • I try to laugh at least once a day. No matter what. Laughing helped me get through the period of time when my mother had breast cancer, and I'm forever grateful for a certain YouTube channel I found during that time that provided plenty of laughs.

Quite frankly, I think laughing is more important in my life than listening to music, playing a video game, or watching a sporting event. Sure, they are all fun things, things I love to do. Especially with other people. But laughs are something I can rely on even when I am alone. I don't always want to listen to music, or play games, and sometimes there isn't a sporting event on that I'm interested in watching.

Laughs, however, laughs are 24/7 medicine.

I really like this post. Humour has long been my go to coping mechanism for dealing with unpleasant situations. Laughing is good for the soul.

As for self care? I don't know really. What makes exploring your hobbies as you normally would and self care different? Or is self care just a fancy way of saying "chilling and doing things you like"?

Cool_Porygon

Lurking in the shadows
    Years
  • I need my sanity breaks when I get the chance but when I do its quite simple. I browse internet, listen to music, maybe watch a movie or TV show. It's when I prefer to be alone, or if my partners with me he better be quiet.
    Spending time with friends is important to keeping good mental health.

Meganium

[i]memento mori[/i]
    Years
  • Sleep is probably what I do when I want to take care of myself #adulthood

Also, I love going to starbucks whenever I need to take a break from pretty much everything. Starbucks is my therapy office.

Years
    • they/them
    • Seen Apr 19, 2024
    I have the loveliest minty cream thingy that has the exact same pink shade as the bottle it's in (it's weird how well matched they are, probably very artificial) and it just does wonders for my tired factory feet.

People should mind their feet more; a good footrub and some nice footlotion is just amazing for you overall somehow c: I wonder why that is.

Also, I can't pass by a coffee shop without buying a Chai Latte with double shots espresso in it. :D

BlazingCobaltX

big mood. bye
    Years
    • Age 26
    • Seen Jun 19, 2019
    Are you talking about the regular kind of self-care or the kind incited by being anxious, depressed or whatever?

Because I don't have a self-care routine when I'm feeling fine, but when I'm particularly anxious or not feeling well, I resort to reading yuri manga. When I was getting to terms with my sexuality, yuri manga (and shipping in general - I'm a romance sap) was the only coping mechanism I had for the looming fear of not being accepted by my family. Since then, it has always been the thing that manages to calm me most whenever I'm feeling super bad or something. Maybe I should have a regular self-care routine - I am kind of lacking in the care department - but I always feel like I don't have the time for that.

Margot

some things are that simple
    Years
    • they/he
    • Seen Apr 16, 2022
    On bad days I like to:

- Drink something more decadent like a smoothie, hot chocolate with whipped cream, or a rootbeer float, etc.
    - Put on a clay mask, take a bath, use TOO many bubbles and a bath bomb.
    - Binge a show or a watch a movie.
    - Take time to dedicate to hobbies I usually push off: writing & drawing.

Devil in the Mirror

We Stitch These Wounds
    Years
  • Well, I take daily walks and listen to a lot of BVB and stuff like that. The music I listen to helps to remind me of how strong of a person I am mentally and emotionally and it's helped me to be more confident and less miserable in life. The walks get me out of the house and are just generally good for you, tbh, I mean it helps to improve my physical wellness and being outside is good for mental wellness. I also like to watch something funny a few times a day just to keep my mood up. So far these things have been working really well for me, especially considering that I was in a very, very dark place in January and February and have managed to get out of it since then by doing this.

Back