• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

[September] Would You Announce to Everyone if You Won the Lottery?

Years
    • Seen Oct 22, 2013
    I tend to ponder about this. Something tells me keeping the news of a lottery win to myself is the best bet.

It would be interesting to find out if your friends change or remain the same kind of people. I guess if you want to keep your friends as friends, it might be a good idea not to let them know of any financial winnings.

Cordelia

Banned
    Years
    • Seen Nov 21, 2014
    I would not let people know unless I was really, really close to them. I'd tell my immediate family and my best friends and that's about it. I'd rather just live comfortably too and not go to excess.

Besides... -goes off to buy a lotto ticket-

Years
    If I somehow won a lot of money I wouldn't tell most people, and if I did I wouldn't be telling them how much.

Bragging, or even just being overly open, about being wealthy seems as though it would bring too much trouble with it.

Treecko

the princess without voice
    Years
    I'd try to tell as little amount of people as I could. Though sometimes people (or at least here in my city) who win a large amount in the lottery end up being on the news. Such as this one time there's was a really big lottery in Missouri and the local news just happen to be in the store who sold the winning ticket just as the woman who bought it was finding out she won. They showed her reaction on TV and even showed her calling her husband to tell him she won the lottery and got his reaction on camera. So if I were to win the lottery and got on the news cause of that, then I'm pretty much screwed. Unless I could state that I wouldn't want to be identified. Yeah I really over thought this one. XD Either way, I'd try to avoid telling anyone as much as possible cause I don't need everyone mooching my money off of me.

Sirfetch’d

I wouldn't go around just announcing it because that really isn't the safest thing to do, but I don't think that I could hie it from people considering the fact that it would be broadcasted on the news and the fact that news travels fast. I'd tell my immediate family though as they would be getting a portion of the money and I would have to have an explanation as to where the money came from, but other than that I would probably only tell my closest friends and maybe co-workers because they would need to know why I quit my job =D. So in the end, yeah I wouldn't just run around announcing it, but most people that I know would probably find out sooner or later.

Years
    • Seen Oct 22, 2023
    I'd tell my mom and dad about it, but other than that, I wouldn't tell anyone. Not even my own sister. She's too young, so she probably won't be mature enough to be able to keep it as a secret. I may start sharing this info once I decide to do something with all these money, though. The first thing that I'd most likely do with them is donate a few to charity. Next, I would put them into some good investment. The rest of my money would be saved in my bank account, just in case if I need them at some point in the future. d: I definitely won't be quitting my job just because I've won the lottery, however. I may not work as much as I currently do, but I don't think I will ever completely stop working (well, unless I get totally old and am forced to retire, of course!).

Last edited:

Flushed

never eat raspberries
    Years
    • Seen Nov 5, 2017
    I never thought about not telling anyone, but it definitely seems like a good option. If my lifestyle or purchases change dramatically though, it may be hard to keep something like that a secret.

xseed

Reality? Or a dream?
    Years
    nope I wont tell anyone. and no one wont find out ever I am gonna be using my moolah to move far up north with my familly ^_^

Years
    Some places make it a rule that you have to be announced if you win so you may not have a choice. I wouldn't want to tell anyone though because of the lotto curse. The one where people who've won say they wish they never had because of how their lives changed, partially because of everyone bothering them now.

Years
    Nope, not even to my family. If the news ever spreads I'll have people around me begging for money which is not what I want.

Altair1

Willpower
    Years
    I wouldn't tell anyone but my dad. Everyone else in my family would probably spread the word, which I wouldn't prefer to happen...

Darkwing Ducklett

Let's get dangerous
    Years
    • Seen Aug 20, 2014
    It'd depend on how much I won. If I won enough so that I'd never to work another day in my life, then I doubt I'd be able to contain myself, and I'd be extremely generous to both friends and acquaintances if I could afford to be - sharing wealth is something I enjoy doing if I can; I love buying people presents.

But if I won a substantial amount but not quite enough to comfortably retire, probably not. I'm not greedy, but I'm not THAT generous.

Years
    • they/them
    • Seen Dec 11, 2023
    I don't believe I would be able to keep it to myself. I would tell me sister and my mom would pry and eventually find out and then tell the rest of my family and maybe even some friends ugh. With that there isn't much I can do unless I only tell my sister which I suppose could be an option. Though my mom would wonder where I got all this money haha.

Definitely wouldn't really tell friends though except maybe like one. None of my other friends I don't think I'm that close enough to tell to.

Eevee3

╰( ´・ω・)つ━☆゚.* ・。゚
    Years
    I would tell my friends and family about it because, well, I'd be waaay too excited! XD

But I wouldn't want to be on the news. I don't want people watching my reaction or anything like that. Plus, it's not really any of their business.

Nolafus

Aspiring something
    Years
    After some of the stories I hear, I will not tell anyone. I don't want people constantly bugging me for money and then hating me when I won't give it to them.

"Hey man, where did you get the money for the roller coaster?"

"They were having a sale on the internet..."

CoffeeDrink

GET WHILE THE GETTIN'S GOOD
    Years
    Probably not, koff~

It'd be nice to live comfortably and not have to worry about people looking for my money. I'd be glad having all that money so I wouldn't have to worry ever again. I think it'd stress me out if people knew. Sadly I probably won't have to worry about this, koffi~

Years
    I wouldn't want to make it publicly known if I had won the lottery or not, especially if it was a really large jackpot. I would probably only tell my parents, my brother and probably my grandmother as well since they're all the ones in my family I am closest to. And if the media were to go after me, I would sincerely request for them to keep my name private from any publication whatsoever just so that I could protect not just my family but also my life, as there have been people (especially in my area) that have lost their lives simply by being a lottery winner and encountering cruel people in this world.

curiousnathan

Starry-eyed
    Years
    Nope! I'd keep it on the hush. That way you don't have people kissing your bum for money or act different around you because of your luck, tehe.

Back