• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

4th Gen Sinnoh starters!

Which Sinnoh starter did you pick?

• Turtwig

Votes: 39 26.7%
  • Chimchar

Votes: 60 41.1%
  • Piplup

Votes: 62 42.5%

• Total voters

JJ Styles

The Phenomenal Darling
Years
  • So I just started to finally play a gen 4 game and i decided to just pick Chimchar since I'm a big fan of Fire types, and it evolves into a fire/fighting type, probably one of my favorite type combinations in Pokemon (and Gamefreak knows that they love that typing as well). Aside from those reasons, Chimchar and its evolved forms have a pretty decent movepool so I picked it out of that reason as well.

Bounsweet

Fruit Pokémon
    Years
    • Seen Sep 17, 2018
    I have never, ever picked Turtwig or Chimchar. In every single one of my DPPt playthroughs, I've always picked Piplup. I've been considering restarting my Pearl Version (even though it's my original save file from 2007...) and I would probably pick Chimchar now just for variety. I might just wait until I can buy a used copy of Diamond Version before I do that, though lol.

Years
  • For all the times i've played through DPPt, Chimchar is definitely the starter i've chosen the most amount of times. I can't remember how many i've used Piplup or Turtwig, but i'd lean more towards the latter (maybe for how under-appreciated I find it).

Years
    • Seen May 22, 2016
    Pokemon Platinum was my first pokemon game that a played. I choose Turtwig :3 i just thought he was so cute, and Torterra was just so cool looking as well. But lets give Grotle some love too ^.^ My second pick was Chimchar. I liked him so much I choose him the next time too. I never really choose Piplup that much way back then.. But today I choose him all the time :3

I've just started playing through Platinum again and this time I choose Turtwig again.
    I really like all the starters now all so much it really would be hard to decide witch one i like most. ≧ω≦

Nakala Pri

Turtwig! =D I don't like Piplup's line every much and I already used Chimchar. :p (monkeys for the win though)

So far he's the most OP! But my team really seriously ultra super sucks

Years
    • Seen Feb 18, 2021
    Piplup was my first, then Chimchar, and now I'm playing with Turtwig.

Honestly, I really like all 3 Sinnoh starters, but then again I like a lot of Sinnoh Pokémon :D

Khoshi

[b]とてもかわいい![/b]
    Years
  • I used Chimchar the first time I bought Diamond with my DS Lite, but my favourite's always been Piplup. It's so cute, and I like the Water type.

It's hard to pick between all the final forms, unfortunately...I like them all!

pkmin3033

I started with Piplup in Diamond, mostly because I wanted to call it "Pingu" and I've always quite liked bird Pokemon. I went with Turtwig in Platinum, for a change, and because "Torterra" is one of the best Pokemon names ever. There's never been a hugely deep reason for my choices in starters; I go with whichever one looks the best and roll with it. I often run all three in my first playthrough anyway to see which one becomes my overall favourite. xD

I've never been overly keen on Chimchar; I don't like monkeys, and the Fire/Fighting thing got old for me wih Blaziken. That said, I'm going to see how it goes with my current Platinum run, which I started the other day. Given that the choices for fire types in DPPt are ridiculously limited as well, I might be glad for it. xD

Years
    • Age 31
    • Seen Jun 29, 2019
    I picked Turtwig in Diamond and Chimchar in Platinum. Both were very useful in the end even by starter standards but I'd have to prefer Chimchar due to its final evolution winning me a frontier symbol a few years back.

Gligar

Bruhfication Sayan
    Years
  • I mean, I didn't really choose. My brother really like Tutwig, and we shared the same game, so he picked it. I mean, I did like Torterra loads, but I thought Piplup was a cuter and better pokemon. If it was up to me, I'd pick Piplup.

Years
  • I don't like human looking monkeys, and turtles just seem a bit off for a starter. I do like penguin so I took Piplup even though it looked too cute for my taste.
    Empoleon on the other hand is a beast. I love how it looks, and the way it easily absorbs all the attacks is just amazing.

Years
    • Seen Jul 5, 2017
    i picked piplup both in pearl and platinum. it's so cute! and one of my favorite starters, definitely. <3

Years
    • Seen Apr 25, 2015
    I've replayed Diamond a few times (and restarted Platinum even more; why can I never finish that game?), so I think in order of most to least picked: Piplup > Turtwig > Chimchar

I love my murderous water/steel penguin ;;

Years
    • Age 29
    • Seen May 11, 2023
    I've played Pearl more times than I care to remember and I think I've had a pretty even distribution of starters honestly! I've played Pearl probably about 25 times so far (I have 22 listed but I'm sure there were more haha) and out of those a fair few were challenges so I left out starters, but I reckon I've chosen Chimchar and Turtwig about equally and Piplup probably a few more times than the others. My favourite of the base form starters is Piplup, my favourite second stage is Monferno, and my favourite final evolution is Torterra, but I think this is the only region where I've loved all three families just as much as each other so it's hard to pick between them haha. I guess I'll go with Piplup for cuteness but all three are wonderful!

Back