• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

Smash Bros. for Switch discussion/speculation

Nah

Years
    • Age 31
    • she/her, they/them
    • Seen today
    So yesterday during the most recent Nintendo Direct, they officially revealed Super Smash Bros. for Nintendo Switch (supposedly not the final title atm), which we all knew an announcement for was gonna come sooner or later. Trailer below:

Right now, only Mario, Link (whose appearance seems to be based off of his BotW incarnation), and newcomers Inklings are officially confirmed to be in the game, although there's obviously other characters who will make it into the game. The number "2018" being flashed at the end implies that the planned release date for now is to be sometime this year.

so in the meantime until the game comes out, have at it

Desert Stream~

Holy Kipper!
    Years
    • She/Her
    • Seen Aug 20, 2023
    I want xenoblade characters. Idk who they would put in though :/ maybe rex but eh.

Years
    i will always be hyped for smash bros coming from a melee background
    also 4 years doesn't seem long enough for an entirely new smash game considering masahiro's work ethic, so my mind is thinkin a (rly good) port.

thedestinedblade

Radiant Cool Boy
    Years
    So many potential options for the Inkling's Final Smash! As a big fan of Splatoon, I'm excited to see the stages they come up with.

It'll be interesting to see how they'd get Rex with Pyra/Mythra to work. They promoted the hell out of Xenoblade 2 so I'm certain Rex will be included.

Mariposa

Banned
    Years
    Given that we've barely seen anything yet we don't have much to go off. I will say that I hope all the character in the current smash roster make a return.

Especially Cloud. He's my favorite character. :>

Last edited:

Nah

Years
    • Age 31
    • she/her, they/them
    • Seen today
    also 4 years doesn't seem long enough for an entirely new smash game considering masahiro's work ethic, so my mind is thinkin a (rly good) port.
    Yeah, 4 years does seem to be a bit of a short gap, or at least it's different from what we're used to (although the time between Smash 64 and Melee was about 2ish years). I really hope that it's not a port though, I think we need more than a port is going to provide.

Mariposa

Banned
    Years
    i will always be hyped for smash bros coming from a melee background

Yeah, 4 years does seem to be a bit of a short gap, or at least it's different from what we're used to (although the time between Smash 64 and Melee was about 2ish years). I really hope that it's not a port though, I think we need more than a port is going to provide.

It's probably because the last game was released on the 3DS and Wii U. The 3DS version is widely available but it's really inferior to the Wii U version which... just wasn't available to most people due to the Wii U selling about as well as Mighty Number 9. At this point it would just make sense for them to either release a new game.

Years

It's probably because the last game was released on the 3DS and Wii U. The 3DS version is widely available but it's really inferior to the Wii U version which... just wasn't available to most people due to the Wii U selling about as well as Mighty Number 9. At this point it would just make sense for them to either release a new game.

Yeah, I guess it's pretty much impossible to tell just from looking at the gap years. But honestly the Smash 4 engine/mechanics still feels fresh (rage sux still tho) to me, so I wonder what they have came up with. My hopes are high.

maybe i just haven't played the game enough cos melee is in my blood :(

anyone see vgdunkey's vid btw?? this guy is a comedic legend

Years
    • Seen Oct 22, 2023
    Submitted my pre-order on Amazon; saving around $10 as a Prime member.

tokyodrift

[i]got me looking for attention[/i]
    Years
    • Age 30
    • he/him
    • Seen Mar 8, 2024
    Now this is a game that would make me get a Switch. Time to start saving some money!

Last edited:
    Years
    Hypeeee.

Can't wait to see what characters will be making an appearance. Inklings are a pretty good start.

Years
    In the case that it isn't just a port I think it's probable that they'll re-use a lot of the assets they made for 4 considering that the game isn't really that old and it'd just generally be a poor decision not to. That'd save a significant amount of time and they also aren't making two versions of this game as they did with 4.

As for new characters, assist trophy characters like Waluigi or Lyn seem like a no brainer for easy choices. Something from gen 7 probably. Spring Man. the mole from mole mania. I hope Luigi is playable.

port or not, it'll play similarly to brawl/4, I can't see them shaking it up from what it is now.

Somewhere_

i don't know where
    Years
    I hope its a completely new Smash game, but because I never owned a Wii U or the 3DS version, it really doesn't make a difference to me if its a port or not.

Years
    I never owned the 3DS or WiiU versions either. Something tell me it's going to be a whole new game. I don't care if it's a port though, but I think the arrival of the inklings might make it "new." Also BOTW Link might make it "new" too.

I love Nintendo, but why must it ATTACK OUT WALLETS?! *clings to wallet*

Back