• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

Smashed Controllers

El Héroe Oscuro

IG: elheroeoscuro
    Years
    Have you ever smashed or thrown your controller out of pure rage towards a game? If not, has there ever been a game or moment that got you close to doing it?

I've broken my controller once out of rage: COD Modern Warfare 2. The combination of One Man Army Pro, Danger Close noob tubes and Commando Pro knifes actually made me throw my Xbox 360 controller across the room out of rage. Broke to pieces lol. It's funny looking back now cause I'm generally not an angry gamer, but that game was definitely infuriating at times.

Alex

what will it be next?
    Years
    • Seen Dec 30, 2022
    Never. I might have gripped really hard when I got angry but never threw anything. And I mostly play PC games these days so no controllers to break. And I wouldn't like punch my screen or anything either lol. I'm glad I'm not physically aggressive in games. I do yell at my screen a lot though lol

EC

Years
    • he/him
    • Seen Jul 1, 2022
    There are a few dents in my wooden furniture where I slammed my 360 controller against them while playing some COD game. Or maybe Gears.

Years
    • Seen Apr 6, 2017
    I've never thrown my controller before. Off the top of my head, the only times I came really close were during my first playthrough of Super Meat Boy, and the flight school and Zero's RC plane missions in GTA: San Andreas.

I don't usually get angry at games, but those things were so frustrating to me as a kid.

JJ Styles

The Phenomenal Darling
    Years
    I've smashed a controller before as a kid since i was a "sore loser" back in the day and also the kind of player who hated losing by use of cheap tactics such as fireball spam in any Street Fighter and Mortal Kombat game.

Just recently, i was trying for my good old deathless run of Metal Slug 3, but since I've forgotten how hard the game is especially when playing it in a half-sick condition, I've died in times that i should have not, thus i reset my emulator (Kawaks. Old school emu baby) in order to try again. Level 1 of MSlug 3 is easy as long as you know the right path. Level 2 and beyond is where stuff got crazy. For the first time in years, i actually yelled at some of the bullcrap deaths that i occurred.

Morkula

[b][color=#356F93]Get in the Game[/color][/b]
    Years
    I only remember throwing a controller once, back in the PS2 days...I think it was a Kingdom Hearts boss fight, actually. Didn't cause any damage to the wall but there was a small scuff on the black paint of the controller. Oops.

Other than that, my usual reaction to frustrating stuff in games is pretty much just to mutter a string of expletives under my breath. And like Marz said, maybe gripping the controller to the point I think it's about to snap in half (exaggeration) if I get really pissed.

Years
    Smashed, no. Thrown...yes. Um.
    Funny enough, one instance of said throwing was also during a KH boss battle - curse you forever, Xaldin! - and I'm still surprised I didn't actually break the thing in any way. I chucked it down fairly hard onto a wooden floor, and yet the controller came out unscathed, as I recall. The floor was fine too.

I'm far more likely to hit my desk and/or throw other, non-controller things if I'm raging at a game.

Arsenic

[div=font-size: 18px; font-family: 'Kaushan script
    Years
    Nope. But I do always snag the cord when I walk by causing it to plummet onto the hard floor. Lost my nice controllers that way.

Khoshi

[b]とてもかわいい![/b]
    Years
    I'd like to thank Call of Duty and being a kid (sad, I started off as one of those CoD squeakers) for breaking about two controllers. Used to get really mad really easily back then. Chucked my controllers right at the floor after a stupid game.

Now I just thump my desk during a clown fiesta game of League of Lelgends.

thedestinedblade

Radiant Cool Boy
    Years
    I know the feeling. I use to play CoD, and those games definitely made you lose it regularly; not good for your health. lol. But no, I've never managed to brake one of my controllers... purposely, anyways.

Yukari

Only time I can think of is when I was playing Super Mario Bros: The lost levels. I didn't break my SNES controller but I did throw it. More than once, actually.

Ullion

[color=#00cc99][i]Simic Synthesis[/i][/color]
    Years
    Never smashed or broken a controller. I have thrown my controller when playing Dark Souls 1 (Damn you Sens' Fortress!) and maybe after a few disappointing plays in NBA Live 2005 or something. /shrug

Zoroark Cutie

The Illusion Fox Skyfarer
    Years
    I remember one time where I have and it was when I was playing Dead or Alive 4 and I was trying to complete every single character's story, and I got so infuriated and frustrated that I actually started punching, slamming, biting, and throwing my controller a lot. I didn't break it, but I did enough damage to cause the battery pack on my controller to become so loose that my controller kept disconnecting.

Mawa

The typo Queen
    Years
    I take care of my things... *Look at my 2DS who felt on the ground 2 minutes ago*

Really, I really do take care of my stuff. I don't have money to buy a lot of new controllers.
    And I hate when someone take one of my controller and smash it... It had happened.. (At least, not all smashed but still, not as the same it was before)

Shhwonk

always with the games, etc.
    Years
    I used to be horrible at handling my rage, so one time, I got so angry that I threw my GBA SP at the wall. Half of the screen was blank when I turned it back on. If I remember correctly, it was at a part in Yoshi's Island GBA where I kept dying lol.

Klippy

L E G E N D of
    Years
    I used to get pissy and punch my controllers a lot. At one point, I threw a controller someone had bought me (a relatively cheap third-party controller; cheap plastic, etc.). It shattered into a dozen pieces on the ground and I realized how stupid I was for even doing it - feeling guilt even to today for breaking a gift over some dumb game. Specifically it was Dragon Ball Z: Budokai Tenkaichi 2, the Kid Buu boss fight. I just could not beat him.

I ended up repairing the controller enough to keep it functional and I used it until it quit working as a reminder to myself to just turn games off if I get frustrated.

I have probably failed in that regard, but I can happily say I've not thrown a controller or acted like a spoiled brat for many, many years, so the lesson worked.

Years
    • Age 29
    • Seen May 16, 2024
    Not a controller, but I also remember throwing my GBA SP at a wall once - thankfully my weak 8 year old noodle arms did not throw it with enough force to break it (or the wall).

I was a lot more likely to rip out just the cartridge and throw that against the wall, which was slightly less harmful, lol.

Years
    I care too much about the condition of my controllers to potentially damage them by throwing them or anything like that :P I'll squeeze the controller pretty hard, but I would never actually throw it lol.

Back