• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

"That's kawaii!" "Huh?"

Years
    Okay, I'm going to say that I loathe people who suddenly inject words from other languages to sound cool, when they really sound like idiots. Can't count the number of times on this site, dA, and the real world people have said "kawaii","Yosh","desu","arigatou", whatever retarded crap tehy would be spewing out of their mouthes.

I would go on, but it's 3:04 am here so I won't. Anyway, topic is what do you think about people who say those things or other languages, if you didn't know.

So yeah, see ya.

Ninja Caterpie

AAAAAAAAAAAAA
    Years
    My friend says jap stuff all the time...but I guess he's excused because we study Japanese at school and (most of) it isn't just the cliched random stuff you hear off the internet. :|

and then there's my girlfriend, who's as close to being Jap as you can get without being born there, so yeah. :|

+ we're all Asian, so, not being racist or anything, but it doesn't seem weird for Asian people to add Asian stuff into their speech, be it the right Asian or not. :D

Years
    "That's kawaii!" "Huh?"

...this thread was asking for it!

Though I actually tolerate people who do like to inject random Japanese words into their dialect, because throughout my time on the internet I've been around people like that, and my cousin actually lives in Japan and speaks English as well as Japanese, so she likes to mix a few Japanese words into her sentences as well.

Devil Flamingo

→ Loves Defense
    Years
    I don't really care either way, as I think it's unnecessary. But then, if you think about it, Spanish words and phrases are also inserted into speech by non-Spanish speakers, such as "Hasta la vista" (which always makes me tilt my head sideways, because most native Spanish speakers don't use this farewell greeting unless they're going on a long journey and not sure if they're gonna come back), and of course, I'm sure plenty of other cultures insert English bits here and there just because. It's only annoying with Japanese because it's been done excessively. :>

Also, I think this thread's post are so kawaii desu neee~~~ Ara! Look at the subarashi siggy on top of me! Sugoiii!!!

/hahaha am i funny or wat

Years
    It seems like you're just on a rant about Japanese being interjected into everyday spoken/written English... it also seems like you forget that English is a thieving language and several words and phrases we take for granted were stolen directly from languages like French or Spanish, such as RSVP, which is an acronym stolen as-is from French. And speakers of other languages have done the exact same with English words, especially in the last century.

Rapidash

Firefly Class.
    Years
    My friend and I tend to steal some Chinese. But it's only stuff we've learnt from watching Firefly.

And it's nearly entirely used to insult each other.

Lonely Roses

Er. Okay.
    Years
    • Seen Sep 3, 2010
    It doesn't bother me when people do that. After all, we take quite a lot of phrases from different languages into our own. So yeah. I don't do it. But I don't care if people do.

PokeLawry

Pokemon Master!
    Years
    zomg this thread is so kawaii. ahaha, It doesn't bother me any. But that's probably because i don't pay attention to what people are saying half the time. :)

cyan.

▲ 愛してる .
    Years
    oh my god. its so annoying.
    "hes so kawaii desu"
    "this yaoi is desu'd kawaii!"
    "whats a yuri? u.u desu desu"
    even when people say swear words in different languages it makes me mad.
    i have a lot of asain people in my area (not trying to be racist, im just saying) and they always speak chinese at school, so me and other people are like what?

devilicious

dream
    Years
    I don't have a problem with it if it's a familiar term, or something that you just can't find the right word for in the language you're speaking. It happens a lot with me since the English language has, like, much more specific words than Portuguese.

But when it's something like "kawaii", "desu" and other useless terms (or things that could be expressed in pure English) and I guess just general wapanese, I believe it's absolutely retarded.

ThatKidMike

yall fuccbois
    Years
    • Seen Oct 16, 2013
    It bothers me a little bit.

I'm more aggravated by hardcore weaboos though.

Percy Thrillington

The Mad Hatter
    Years
    • Seen Jan 1, 2023
    I think it's stupid unless whoever's saying the word is trying to learn vocabulary for another language. I sometimes do that with French/Irish. When someone uses it because they think it's cool/cute, I get ticked off.

mervyn797

What? I'm right here. >D
    Years
    • Seen Nov 28, 2011
    I quite often tend to use Hindi words when I chat with a fellow Indian here at PC, eg. Derozio. But I use complete Hindi sentences only when I want to say something that I don't want others to understand. XD

Years
    I'm Polish, I use English words to describe something, sometimes, when I'm talking to someone...
    I admit, I use word "kawaii" sometimes (more as for sarcasm)

When I'm ALONE, sitting in front on my laptop, I talk to myself sometimes:
    "Bakayaro"
    "Shimatta!"
    "Sorega doshita?"
    I don't use it very often, I say quite rarely.
    I don't use it on forums. Never. It's stupid.

Last edited:

Kura

twitter.com/puccarts
    Years
    Unless you're trying to speak to someone Japanese and don't know kana.. or unless you're trying to make fun of weeaboos.. then I really don't see the point. It's absolutely pointless to write Japanese words in english characters anyways.. because Japanese people don't understand "Romajii."

In other words.. it just makes you look like a childish idiot. If you're talking to someone in English.. use English. Using romajii-fied Japanese is like using pig-latin to try to sound cool.

Algo Fonix

oh god
    Years
    I absolutely loathe when people do that. I have a friend who started saying 'nani' in place of 'what.' I normally turn to him, give him a look of disgust, and promptly ignore his request for further elaboration of whatever had been previously said.

It's one thing to actually speak another language. It's another to annoyingly pick three words and use them in inappropriate situations and generally look like a totally uneducated weaboo.

Years
    • they/them
    • Seen Dec 11, 2023
    I don't use the Japanese language in my speech. Though there are times when I go between two languages, and that's English and Spanish. I can understand pretty much all Spanish, but I don't really have the ability to speak it. So sometimes, when I'm talking to talk to my mom in Spanish, I mix in some English words for those Spanish words that I can't seem to remember right off the bat. 'Spanglish', pretty much.

Years
    Unless you're trying to speak to someone Japanese and don't know kana.. or unless you're trying to make fun of weeaboos.. then I really don't see the point. It's absolutely pointless to write Japanese words in english characters anyways.. because Japanese people don't understand "Romajii."

In other words.. it just makes you look like a childish idiot. If you're talking to someone in English.. use English. Using romajii-fied Japanese is like using pig-latin to try to sound cool.

So... With my last post, I automatically made myself look like a childish idiot? I know you didn't say anything like that to me, but I just understood it in that way.

I edited.

For retrification.
    I don't say these things in front of people, though. And I wrote those words using English signs, because I wanted someone to understand what words I sometimes use. That's the point of sharing my thoughts in this thread.
    I don't want to be percieved as "childish idiot". Tch...

Back