• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

6th Gen The Battle Tower

R2J

Years
  • Correct me if I'm wrong but, didn't the original games have the Battle Tower? If so did they just replace it with the Battle Maison?

Otamajakushi

Kuuuuuuu ku ku ku...
    Years
    • Seen Feb 18, 2017
    Essentially, yes. But there is a little model of the Battle Tower with a plaque saying it's a future project. So maybe we'll see it in a future game.

Sopheria

響け〜 響け!
    Years
  • Yea, the Battle Tower essentially does what the Battle Maison does, so it would have been redundant to bring back the Battle Tower without bringing back the entire Battle Frontier. I guess they could have also brought back the Battle Tower and added the newer battle styles to it, but ultimately they essentially function the same c:

Sun

When the sun goes down...
    Years
    • Seen Jan 20, 2017
    Yeah, as Cathy says they work almost exactly the same as the Battle Tower from Generation IV games. The main differences are the facility's name and the aesthetic appearance.

Years
  • I was sad that they got rid of this. I believe in an interview they said younger players would find it too hard... yet the Maison is ridiculously hard. I don't get it lol
    I don't get that either. Even if the Maison was ridiculously easy, where's the fun in that? You have to have some sort of challenge.

Years
  • Yes the Tower was replaced by the Maison, exactly copy-pasted from XY except the choice of AI partner trainers is different, being Wally, Steven, Maxie/Archie and the opposite-gendered protagonist instead of Tierno, Trevor and Shauna.

The Maison has the exact same properties as the Tower, except that there's no Lv100 option anymore meaning everything gets set to Lv50, and as Achromatic said the reason behind lack of a Battle Frontier was apparently due to most people, mainly the targeted audience (which is as we know, young children) finding it too difficult but I do question that interview because the Maison AI does nothing but constant cheating.

blue

gucci
    Years
  • Battle Tower was in Emerald, since these are remakes then I assume that it one of the reasons why it didn't exist in ORAS. There is a mini model at the Battle Maison of the Battle Tower teasing an upcoming project, so who knows?

DarkSkys

Still Alone, Still Alive, Still Unbroken
    Years
  • Considering you see the model of the Battle Tower can we say that the remakes are made of a time before the original games, if that even makes sense.

Sun

Years
    • Seen Jan 20, 2017
    Considering you see the model of the Battle Tower can we say that the remakes are made of a time before the original games, if that even makes sense.

Interesting point. But that Battle Tower miniature is actually a reference for the Emerald version, not the classic Ruby and Sapphire's Battle Tower. With some people over reading it as BF for DLC. Incidentally, BT can be seen as BF's standard and classic symbol.

DarkSkys

Still Alone, Still Alive, Still Unbroken
    Years
  • Interesting point. But that Battle Tower miniature is actually a reference for the Emerald version, not the classic Ruby and Sapphire's Battle Tower. With some people over reading it as BF for DLC. Incidentally, BT can be seen as BF's standard and classic symbol.
    What I'm referring to is it say the BT is a future project. Or could it be a sign toward the Gen 7 games? Considering the wiki thing you get in X/Y.

Sopheria

響け〜 響け!
    Years
  • I was sad that they got rid of this. I believe in an interview they said younger players would find it too hard... yet the Maison is ridiculously hard. I don't get it lol

There is a slightly increased difficulty factor in the Tower since you have to win a full streak of 7 battles before you win any points. But still...that is a pretty silly reason not to include it -_-

Sun

Years
    • Seen Jan 20, 2017
    There is a slightly increased difficulty factor in the Tower since you have to win a full streak of 7 battles before you win any points. But still...that is a pretty silly reason not to include it -_-

Q:Why wasn't the Battle Frontier in the remakes?
    A:This question is connected with my previous answer. We didn't put the BF in ORAS for this very reason. Interviewer's note: In short he means that they didn't include the BF because only a very small part of the players would have fully appreciated and made use of this feature; nowadays players get bored and frustrated more easily and they aren't interested in things that are so demanding/challenging.

https://www.reddit.com/r/Games/comments/2olmtb/interview_with_masuda_on_oras_and_why_there_is_no/

It' us, the fans, fault. Lol We didn't appreciate Battle Frontier so we get none.

Years
  • It is sad that while Game Freak listen to us fans, it can also influence a popular feature getting removed, as Sun proved with the interview statement. Not many of us liked the Battle Frontier enough and then again, it was mostly young children (which are the true target audience) being frustrated by it so Game Freak heard the kids and as a result the Frontier was removed and never made a comeback.

But then again, we also had popular features that were nothing but exclusive to a certain game for the excuse of making it a "unique perk" for the region in question, such as trainer customization being only in the Kalos games due to the region's theme of beauty.

It's proof that we can never have nice things all the time.

Last edited:

Sopheria

響け〜 響け!
    Years
  • Q:Why wasn't the Battle Frontier in the remakes?
    A:This question is connected with my previous answer. We didn't put the BF in ORAS for this very reason. Interviewer's note: In short he means that they didn't include the BF because only a very small part of the players would have fully appreciated and made use of this feature; nowadays players get bored and frustrated more easily and they aren't interested in things that are so demanding/challenging.

https://www.reddit.com/r/Games/comments/2olmtb/interview_with_masuda_on_oras_and_why_there_is_no/

It' us, the fans, fault. Lol We didn't appreciate Battle Frontier so we get none.

It is sad that while Game Freak listen to us fans, it can also influence a popular feature getting removed, as Sun proved with the interview statement. Not many of us liked the Battle Frontier enough and then again, it was mostly young children (which are the true target audience) being frustrated by it so Game Freak heard the kids and as a result the Frontier was removed and never made a comeback.

But then again, we also had popular features that were nothing but exclusive to a certain game for the excuse of making it a "unique perk" for the region in question, such as trainer customization being only in the Kalos games due to the region's theme of beauty.

It's proof that we can never have nice things all the time.

I mean, I'm glad Masuda addressed this, but I'm not totally sold on his reasoning -_- There's plenty of games out there that take a lot of time, skill, and patience that are plenty successful. That's the reason why replay value is such a big quality factor in games these days--plenty of gamers want a lofty or challenging goal to shoot for and actually appreciate the extra time they get to spend playing the game to do it.

I know of course when you're developing a game, you have to prioritize, and I can understand the Battle Frontier drifting to the bottom of the list. But still, I hope that in an upcoming game they at least give it a chance--I think they'd be pleasantly surprised at the number of players who would enjoy it :)

Years
  • I mean, I'm glad Masuda addressed this, but I'm not totally sold on his reasoning -_- There's plenty of games out there that take a lot of time, skill, and patience that are plenty successful. That's the reason why replay value is such a big quality factor in games these days--plenty of gamers want a lofty or challenging goal to shoot for and actually appreciate the extra time they get to spend playing the game to do it.

I know of course when you're developing a game, you have to prioritize, and I can understand the Battle Frontier drifting to the bottom of the list. But still, I hope that in an upcoming game they at least give it a chance--I think they'd be pleasantly surprised at the number of players who would enjoy it :)

Also, they like to prioritize what the kids are enjoying most since they're the target audience and that would give insight on what's in and what's out when it comes to the next game. But as the audience for Pokemon is getting more diverse there's a chance they might eventually listen to older players as well.

Sopheria

響け〜 響け!
    Years
  • Also, they like to prioritize what the kids are enjoying most since they're the target audience and that would give insight on what's in and what's out when it comes to the next game. But as the audience for Pokemon is getting more diverse there's a chance they might eventually listen to older players as well.

Yea, that's true too. I hope they do though, since a big part of the fan base are people who got into the series when they were younger and are now older and still playing. Especially for a game like ORAS, which is a remake that a lot of older fans who played the originals were wanting.

Back