• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

The Count To Infinity - v11

Status
Not open for further replies.
Years
    • She/Her, It/Its
    • Seen today

They're useful to silence the noise of the internet. I suppose as corporations have become more sneakier with their delivery and even managed to infest content itself with ads (sponsorships and the like) they will never block everything. But at least they get rid of a lot.

Also some ads are even harmful so getting that stuff out is always nice.

Years
  • What other pcs/etc. are you using besides your phone, if I may ask?

Firefox still gives me the best setup for addons and stuff. I've tried different browser but never got them configured like my Firefox. And even those that gave me more options were usually incredibly annoying to maintain...

The only PC I bother using anymore is an i5 laptop.

Edge was a complete pain with add-ons in the past. Now it has it's own store and can also use ones from the chrome store too!

Edge is not quite a repackaged Chrome under Microsoft. It's a fork of Chromium.

This! 😊

As long as it's Microsoft it's probably bad anyway. 😜

I have my fair share of gripes with Microsoft, believe me. I've even used other operating systems a fair bit of the time in the past, but when they actually do get something right, it's usually fantastic. Edge is in that category for me right now :)

What do you guys think about Adblocking software?

Essential! I visit some very strange sites at times... it wouldn't be safe without ad blocking. I do believe in letting some through, on safe sites. Peeps gotta eat and pay the server bills!

ublock origin will destroy just about everything. I also use a modified hosts file on windows for various reasons, and I block ads with that too.

Edge android has adblocking built in - adblock plus if I remember correctly - can't remember the last time it let an ad through.

Bloody essential.
    Kinda wish it came pre-installed with browsers.

It does with some ;)

StCooler

Mayst thou thy peace discover.
    Years
    • Seen May 5, 2024

Firefox still gives me the best setup for addons and stuff. I've tried different browser but never got them configured like my Firefox. And even those that gave me more options were usually incredibly annoying to maintain...
    +1

What do you guys think about Adblocking software?
    Essential. The only times when my Adblocker has a problem (update or bug), I can't believe we are only ~25% using it. The Internet unbearable without it. Youtube is unbearable without it!

As long as it's Microsoft it's probably bad anyway. 😜

I beg to differ. I don't mean to say that Microsoft is good, but it's as bad as the rest of the GAFAM... (And Microsoft is wide-spread enough so that it's easy to find cracked versions of any of their softwares...)

Years

For me Win 7 was the last Microsoft OS that was good. It's been going down hill ever since and I've stopped paying attention to it at all.
    8/8.1 is okay, but worse than 7.

And I'll be refusing to get win10 for as absolutely long as I possibly can.
    I'd rather not touch that garbage fire at all, but good luck buying a computer in a store that doesn't come with windows and also isn't an apple.

So Edge is actually decent then? Wish Microsoft would fix up their OS too.
    Still gonna stick with FF though unless it starts acting up badly.

I beg to differ. I don't mean to say that Microsoft is good, but it's as bad as the rest of the GAFAM... (And Microsoft is wide-spread enough so that it's easy to find cracked versions of any of their softwares...)

banned for making me google an acronym
    oh wait wrong thread.

Years
    • She/Her, It/Its
    • Seen today

Win10 was awful at the beginning, a real resources eater. But it got better eventually. I even use it at work (well, I have to, but that's besides the point).

Arch Linux representant!

StCooler

Years
    • Seen May 5, 2024

Win10 is far, far better than Win8 imo. 8 was a half finished mess!
    Lol, I must be seriously inattentive. I have two laptops (one for gaming + one for the rest), one with Windows 10 and the other with Windows 8.1, and I cannot tell the difference XD
    (Also, I must add that both are customized the same way: I block notifications, I have the old Start Menu, I disabled almost every App... It looks like I'm using Windows 7 but with PowerShell...)

Arch Linux representant!
    This is interesting. I studied computer science, and it is common for students to switch to Linux. However, I didn't, because I needed Steam + I didn't want to look for equivalent softwares whenever I needed something that's only available on Windows (typically: Microsoft Office. I really don't like OpenOffice and LibreOffice, they feel like Microsoft Office 1980).
    So I am interested in hearing your arguments for choosing Linux ^^

Years
    • She/Her, It/Its
    • Seen today
    This is interesting. I studied computer science, and it is common for students to switch to Linux. However, I didn't, because I needed Steam + I didn't want to look for equivalent softwares whenever I needed something that's only available on Windows (typically: Microsoft Office. I really don't like OpenOffice and LibreOffice, they feel like Microsoft Office 1980).
    So I am interested in hearing your arguments for choosing Linux ^^
    Kind of similar to that but not really? I studied cs for five semesters but stopped due to money and personal reasons (among others). I put Ubuntu on my laptop because I also had problems with the other options (Cygwin and Putty(?)) and went the clearly "easier" route. The first year was a real pain. xD
    The dropout point was when I fell really low from a mental point. I heard about Arch Linux and it being for advanced Linux users. So while I was running shifts on a production line (literally running because they sent me all across different factories as nobody wanted me for my being too slow ^^") I tried to find a way to proof to myself that I could actually do something and had some sort of worth. I ended up installing Arch which took many weeks the first time. And ever since I've been running it. That's almost 9 years at this point.

I don't have a particularly good reason to run it, tbh. There's no "lol, Windows normie" argument, I just used it so much that it does what I want. And if it doesn't then I get frustrated and either fix it or replace it with something else.
    Steam is available for Linux. As for games, that's another story.
    Afaik Proton (Steams own Windows layer for Linux) has been making tons of progress and a lot of Windows games now work pretty well on it. Never tried it out, though. I barely use Steam these days...

Years

I wish there were more good alternative OS'.
    It's just Windows or Apple's whatever it's called OS (I've seen people use and it just did not appeal to me at all) in stores here.
    It feels like any other OS is either not widely available (not here at least) or requires some degree of programming knowledge to be able to work with it properly.

Years
    • She/Her, It/Its
    • Seen today
    I wish there were more good alternative OS'.
    It's just Windows or Apple's whatever it's called OS (I've seen people use and it just did not appeal to me at all) in stores here.
    It feels like any other OS is either not widely available (not here at least) or requires some degree of programming knowledge to be able to work with it properly.
    There are actually a ton of cool OSes, but most aren't known unless you actually start digging. There are also a lot of different flavors of some OSes (different DOS and Linux variants for example).

Windows is basically the catch-all system that most regular users use. MacOS is for people with way too much money. Linux distributions are often times server OSes, but there's also a huge community behind it. ReactOS is basically Windows 2000 but without Microsoft branding. Solaris/Open Solaris is Java based. I don't know if it still exists, though. After the company that developed it was bought out it fell into obscurity. Unix is probably still around, but also mostly server stuff. You have different types of BSD, based off of Unix, that is mostly used for high security stuff, but you could install it, anyway, if you really wanted to. Free DOS versions exist...

Good beginner friendly Linux distributions are Linux Mint and Ubuntu. They're pretty much designed to be set up easily. They also come with a lot of useful stuff preinstalled. Things you'd expect from a regular Windows install. Linux distros even come with a package manager that makes installing new stuff a lot easier. Want Firefox? Open your Package Manager, type in Firefox and click install. This is one really big thing that Windows to this day simply can't do. And that's a shame because not only is this really useful, it also prevents people from accidentally installing malicious software like viruses.

And at least those two distros also don't require programming knowledge. But of course knowing a little bit of programming doesn't hurt, either. ;)

And if you're now wondering why I know all this stuff: I tried out a lot before I settled with what I have right now. :)

Years

Googled Linux Mint and Ubuntu and bookmarked their sites for future reference.

I'm mainly still on Windows OS' due to it usually having the best chances of playing games smoothly on them tbh (which I haven't really done at all recently, my steam library is gathering dust xD)
    Linux usually requires a separate version of a game specifically for Linux or a workaround to get them to run on them iirc?
    It's been years since I looked into alternative OS' at all...

Years
    • She/Her, It/Its
    • Seen today
    Googled Linux Mint and Ubuntu and bookmarked their sites for future reference.

I'm mainly still on Windows OS' due to it usually having the best chances of playing games smoothly on them tbh (which I haven't really done at all recently, my steam library is gathering dust xD)
    Linux usually requires a separate version of a game specifically for Linux or a workaround to get them to run on them iirc?
    It's been years since I looked into alternative OS' at all...
    If you want to you can install something like VirtualBox and try them out that way. If you don't like it, you at least didn't ruin your Windows install. Another thing you can do is installing it besides Windows. That way you can choose what you want to boot into when you start your computer.

A lot of stuff on Steam should run well enough on Linux. Windows exclusives should work through their Proton interface, which is supposedly pretty good. It's true that Linux has different executable files, although you can still run a lot of Windows stuff through Wine. Most indie game developer usually provide their games for Linux as well. It's mostly just the AAA industry that doesn't bother. Though, they also provide their games for different consoles. Most of the games I play I play on video game consoles nowadays.

Years

With my current computer I'm not gonna bother tbh. It's pretty old by now and I don't wanna risk making anything worse xD
    I'd mainly be looking into it for when I need a new computer.

____

For a change of topic(if desired):
    Do you have a driver's license?
    If yes how old were you when you got your first one?

I recently renewed mine so it's apparently already been 10 years =o
    So I was 19 at the time. Failed my first driving exam and then passed the second attempt.

StCooler

Years
    • Seen May 5, 2024

I don't have a driver's licence ^^
    I didn't do it as a student for lack of money (I didn't know that there was a bundle of 1€ per day), and when I began working, mostly because I was too lazy. I have always been in cities with public transportations so I didn't need a car ^^"

Status
    Not open for further replies.
    Back