• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

The Count To Infinity - v12

StCooler

Mayst thou thy peace discover.
    Years
    • Seen yesterday
    239 981

Ngl... I'd be on 7 instead. I hated 8!
    We would all be on Windows 7 :(
    But actually, Windows 8.1 with a few adjustments (custom softwares to get back that Windows 7 feeling) is very nice.
    My main concern is the start menu, I really liked Windows 7's start menu, and in the next versions, they changed it to include apps that I never use.

I haven't used N++ since forever. They don't even have a Linux port. It also looks very old to me. I guess it's still a lot easier to use than Vim. Code seems like the top dog of these types of software these days.
    I actually possess even a license for Sublime Text 3. But when they moved on to 4 and demanded people to pay full price for a license upgrade that's when I jumped the ship and looked for alternatives.
    I had forgotten that you're a Linux hipster 🙃
    Sorry but I am a Windows normie, and yeah, Notepad++ is only for Windows :P
    Spoiler:

But, how do you play videogames on Linux? I won't believe that most games have a Linux port!

Years
    239 982

I'd prefer win 7 too, but aside from it's support having ended, buying a computer in the store that doesn't come forced with the newest version is pretty much impossible here.
    Win 8 was the newest version at the time. Everything is still in working order and I see no need to upgrade to win10 at all.

Unfortunately I'll have the newest crappy version of Windows shoved down my throat regardless whenever I end up needing to replace my laptop. Guess I'll have to hope Microsoft has managed to fix up their win 11 by then.

Years
    • She/Her, It/Its
    • Online now
    I had forgotten that you're a Linux hipster 🙃
    Sorry but I am a Windows normie, and yeah, Notepad++ is only for Windows :P
    Spoiler:

But, how do you play videogames on Linux? I won't believe that most games have a Linux port!
    Linux used to be a little difficult when it comes to games. We had emulation, a couple of games that ran natively on Linux and Wine which had rather shaky support for Windows games. Recently it has gotten a lot better, though. Indie games usually provide a Linux port and Steam has its own compatibility layer called Proton which can play a huge majority of Windows games seemingly just fine. Never tried it, though. There are also some games where people reprogrammed an engine (OpenMW for example allows you to play Morrowind natively on Linux).
    I don't play as many games as I used to, however. And even if I feel like playing something, I might as well just use my Switch.
    Unfortunately I'll have the newest crappy version of Windows shoved down my throat regardless whenever I end up needing to replace my laptop. Guess I'll have to hope Microsoft has managed to fix up their win 11 by then.
    Depending on what you need to do with your computer you could always try out one of the more popular Linux versions. I think most of those even allow you to try them without having to install them first. So if you don't like them you don't lose anything.

Years
    • She/Her, It/Its
    • Online now

W7 looks a little bit dated now, tbh. It was stable enough. But newer versions just have a better look and feel to themselves. Now if only they would allow you to mess around with different parts of the OS without having to go through a bunch of hoops.

Years

I'll never get tired of the Aero aesthetic haha~ And yes customizability has taken quite a hit in newer iterations of Windows. Lots of devs are coming up with their own 3rd party tricks to get around this, meaning I still have plenty to research about :3

StCooler

Years
    • Seen yesterday
    239 989

Classic Shell + some shortcut cleaning is all I need :D

Years
    • She/Her, It/Its
    • Online now

I played around with Blackbox for Windows. It's alright but not quite the same as Openbox on my home Linux install. They must have changed it because I remember Blackbox being a lot different on W7.

Years

Ooh Classic Shell~ I tried that for some time but mehh I realized I could get by without it after some time :p I used Taskbar X some time ago too because having stuff on the center was pretty nice (I navigate with almost everything via the taskbar; there's more icons there than on my desktop lol)

Years

I drew a snowflake and then played around for a couple hours in paint.net yesterday to try and make myself a pic for my flair.
    Wanted something easier on the eyes than the pure cyan.
    It's not the best flair pic out there, but for a first attempt I think it's ok =p
    I did initially make it way too big though (1600 x 1200), I made a second smaller version (1200 x 400) that I'm using atm.

Last edited:

StCooler

Years
    • Seen yesterday
    239 997

Paint.net, the real version of Windows Paint :D

Years
    • She/Her, It/Its
    • Online now

There's also Gimp which is the masochist version of Paint. Or Krita, which is what I'm using mostly. (And then there's all the overpriced painting programs like Photoshop :P)

Back