• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

The Count to Infinity V7.0 (Over a year old and counting!)

Status
Not open for further replies.

fenyx4

HOENN CONFIRMED!
    Years

...So...exactly what is produced when a Ditto is bred with a male/female/genderless clock/time? :cer_confused: I understand how Ditto + Clock => Watch, but what does Ditto + Time spawn?

Ivysaur

Grass dinosaur extraordinaire
    Years

Btw, Went...how do inanimate NOUNS have genders?! They're not even alive! (I remembered "-cion" verbs were feminine but I must had a brain fart when I went with the plural instead and removed the accent. I also love saying revolucion...and yes, I know there's supposed to be an accent there. >_>)

And when did B=V?! @_@ This is just like Victini/Bikutini and Voltolos/Borutorosu all over again WAAAAAAAAAAAAH!! >.<

LOL...it's weird that you double-post so much as well. I rarely do that these days, if ever. XD

EDIT: I just remembered that I've been familiar with the B=V thing for quite a while. Veinte, Spanish for twenty, is probably the first example I learned. It's still weird, though...I mean, volver (to return) isn't pronounced as BOLBEAR!

Well, that comes from Latin, where all the words had gender... don't ask me, it's been like that since like 3000 years ago XD;

And b and v are pronounced exactly the same way (at least here in Spain), which means an insanely large amount of people keep mistaking them when writing... bleh.

derozio

[b][color=red][font=helvetica][i]door-kun best boi
    Years
    Hehe, that problem exists in languages like Hindi too. Inanimate objects have genders. Even though it sounds ridiculous.

Gabri

m8
    Years

Well, that comes from Latin, where all the words had gender... don't ask me, it's been like that since like 3000 years ago XD;

And b and v are pronounced exactly the same way (at least here in Spain), which means an insanely large amount of people keep mistaking them when writing... bleh.

Here the b and v are pronounced in a different way. I can't really explain how do you spell them, but they make similar sounds, so some people also mistake them here. The best example is in the city of Porto. Most of its citizens (specially the older people) say "bassoura" instead of "vassoura", for example (which means "broom" btw). xD

Years
    • they/them
    • Seen Dec 11, 2023

I think the B=V thing is kind of like the R=L thing. They sounds so much alike, that english just like to switch to the latter (Bikutini to Victini, and then there's Raramon to Lalamon for examples). It's just how it works, I guess.

Ho-Oh

used Sacred Fire!
    Years
    • Seen Jul 1, 2023

[23:20:23] <@luke> you keep telling us stuff we already know/dont care about twiggy
    [23:20:33] <SorasNobody> lol^
    [23:20:40] <%Forever> That's how I feel about Jake sometimes
    [23:20:43] <Twiggy> Luke.
    [23:20:44] <Twiggy> Sigh.
    [23:20:48] <%Forever> But then sometimes he discusses things I do care about
    [23:20:51] <%Forever> So it's back and forth
    [23:20:53] * ~Sotomura ([email protected]) Quit (Quit: Linkinus)
    [23:20:55] <%Forever> ...

XD I felt like sharing this. Lovely timing.

Years
    • they/them
    • Seen Dec 11, 2023

Pretty much Nica was talking about Jake (Sotomura) and he just happened to have quit the chat while she was doing so.

fenyx4

HOENN CONFIRMED!
    Years
    HSOWA, Rots of Ranguage and Rip Talk, and "[His] name is Jake."

202268. I still can't get my head around how would a Skitty+Wailord pairing would work. o-o

LOL...I was thinking of that minutes after I posted in relation to Ditto x Time. XD I think the Ditto's head body would asplode as it attempted to fathom the bigness of time itself. #_#

Sigh...Latin lost a bit of coolness. T_T Despite how overused it is today in city/school mottos and stuff, it still ranks 2nd on my "list of favorite languages aside from English", losing only to Japanese. But now I find out it started this whole annoying and completely unnecessary "word gender" issue. In my book, only ORGANISMS have genders. That is it, Latin. Nothing else! English does just fine without assigning silly genders to inanimate objects, which is why it (usually) rocks.

The only time I'd attribute any sort of "gender" to a word is with adjectives that are strictly for males and stuff like that - specifically, that O=male and A=female thing with Spanish adjectives and some other languages, which is also evident with Latios and Latias. But even then, why don't we just use gender-blind/gender-neutral words to spare us the trouble?

I think the B=V thing is kind of like the R=L thing. They sounds so much alike, that english just like to switch to the latter (Bikutini to Victini, and then there's Raramon to Lalamon for examples). It's just how it works, I guess.

ಠ_ಠ If anything, I would say that V sounds more like "F" rather than "B". B seems to have completely different labial (lip) movements, so it seems strange for B=V rather than F=V.

And R=L doesn't make sense either, now that I think about it. "L" seems to involve flicking the tongue, which is another labial movement which I don't understand how it's mistaken for "R". I just thought R>L was just some weird linguistic mechanic that English-speakers used for Japanese words and such.

Even when concerning sounds rather than mouth movements, if V=B are "confused" due to the "eeeeee" sound, then B and V might as well just equal C, D, E, G, P, T, or Z via the same confusion. >_>

And again, concerning sounds, how do "R" and "L" get confused? Arrrrrrrrrr and ehhhhhhhhhhhhl sound different enough to me, employing different short vowel sounds. The only confusion I see from a sound like ru/lu (i.e., Lugia, Lucario) is due to the "U" long vowel sound, and you could easily mimic that with other combinations like "Bu", "Mu", and "Nu", yet those don't get confused.

But yeah, that seems just to be"how it works", unfortunately. I read that the substitutions occur because "L" and "V" don't exist in the Japanese language...but wouldn't you use something like "F" for "V"? As for converting certain Japanese "R"s to English, I don't know of another good equivalent that resembles the mouth movements for "R" other than something like "AH" (as in "ahr")...

But honestly, why the heck is "L" absent from Japanese? It's like a completely different/unique mouth movement from the other letters. >_> Then again, "R+[insert vowel here]" does seem to sound cooler in Japanese. Now that I think about it, stuff like Naluto would sound horrible if they were actual Japanese words.
    (This also reminds of me of when I was scared that Zoroark would be horribly butchered by becoming Zoloalk in English. And thank goodness we didn't get the atrocities of Leshilam and Zeklom).

Weird languages are weird. ALL of them.

And btw, I HATE that Lalamon conversion. Raramon actually sounds decent; flip-flopping the "R"s to "L"s just completely destroyed the name. I mean, I'd expect "Lalamon" on a fake Digimon, not an OFFICIAL one. :cer_cry:

XD I felt like sharing this. Lovely timing.

..???

Pretty much Nica was talking about Jake (Sotomura) and he just happened to have quit the chat while she was doing so.

Gotcha; thanks for the explanation.
    Every time I see the name "Jake", I instinctively think of Animorphs...it's like ingrained into my thoughts.

Last edited:

Ho-Oh

used Sacred Fire!
    Years
    • Seen Jul 1, 2023
    You know what, I'm starting to get sick of the blue screens of death that appear almost every morning or something when I click hibernate. Only issue is I keep forgetting to save in paint and it's kinda slow to load up.

Status
    Not open for further replies.
    Back