• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

The DARKEST DUNGEON II

jdthebud

Engineering Solutions
Years
  • O

I didn't know that either

And yeah, Caps, green would be healing. It's what Klippy used for healing in the first game, and what it shows up as in the actual TDD game, so I would say it's a rather safe bet.

And also, Caps, you could probably look up the classes and terrors from TDD and guess at what they do based on what they do in the game. It certainly won't be exact, but it might give you an idea. The skills won't be the exact same, but they'll probably be similar. That's why I guessed that the +15 stress heal was from the Jester, as his Inspiring Tune skill in the game heals about that much stress, though in the game it also comes with a buff that grants stress resistance, and that may not be present here.

edit: not sure if the ghoul would have done much damage, but in the first game, the only dangerously high attack I recall was the giant's, and that was a day attack. The ghoul is a more dangerous terror, but in my experiences, he does more stress damage than actual damage. Might not be the case here, though.

As for the Siren, I'm not sure if she'd retaliate. She does get protection from the fish people, though, as she's their queen (kind of?) and there is one that she summons that can guard her. Probably not the case here, but it could be a possibility. (The only actual counters in the real game, however, are when the Highwayman or Man-at-Arms activate Riposte)
    Actually I think we are misinterpreting something here. I think +15 stress is a Terror ability since stress is bad. Since everyone starts at 0 stress there would be no healing stress available N0.

Years
  • WILD GUESSING AHOY

I feel like I'm at a little bit of a disadvantage since I didn't play the first game/not familiar with the source material, but I guess that hasn't stopped me before!

In terms of a plan, I don't have one, but let me go through my analysis to make sure we're on the same page. And by same page, it means I really have no idea but ok.

5 People(/Monsters?) were hurt tonight.

Confirmed battles:
    The Arbalist attacked the Siren.
    The Ghoul fell into a trap.

So three people took damage besides that. Arbalist, Abomination, and Collector.

"The Siren slashed its massive tail at its attacker, but The Arbalist was too quick and ducked down an alley."
    If the Arbalist didn't get hit, where did the damage come from? Was it just not written in the flavor text that they exchanged blows? The Ghoul was following someone who I'm going to guess is the Arbalist, considering besides the Siren and Collector they took the lowest damage. Or am I missing some Darkest Dungeon twist and the Terrors don't work together? I guess that might be a thing because Wulf recruited someone to be green, but they're all together as evils thou?

Ugh, I can't think that specifically, but going normal mafia vs town, the one the least scratched from The Ghoul would be the Arbalist, and the Cannibal's attack was pretty scary sounding, so they probably took a nice big ol' bite out of the Abomination.

That just leave the Collector taking damage. Uhhhhh, it spooked the Man-at-arms at the cost of hp??? Maybe??? Flavor text gives me nothing to that regard.

I also have nothing on the Grave Robber. I guess that's stress, but I don't know where it comes from. If someone used something to spook the Man-at-arms, which was countered by The Jester, did something else spook the Grave Robber? Or maybe they get more stress inherently as a balance to some other benefit?

Mimikyu

*insert rapid flashes of the text saying Candy's alt here*

(seriously it's on the signature. It's on the signature!)

I still think the +15 white text is stress relief since that was the color used in the actual game. Stress gain might be black with white borders or something... idk.

Nakuzami

[img]https://i.imgur.com/iwlpePA.png[/img]
    Years
  • Actually I think we are misinterpreting something here. I think +15 stress is a Terror ability since stress is bad. Since everyone starts at 0 stress there would be no healing stress available N0.

If a role such as the Jester has a stress heal, they may have targeted someone in order to counter potential stress inflicted during the same night. It can never hurt to attempt a heal, after all.

For now, I'm just assuming it was a stress heal. Especially since the phase post showed the Jester playing a song. We'll know if another stress-related color pops up.

And no, Nina, only the like-colored Terrors work together, but their win conditions tend to be to kill the Heroes/survive the game

Abby

#freecoffee
    Years
  • The thing is, there was no mention of anything that hints to gaining stress over releiving it, so why would there even be stress to believe.

I'm inclined to believe it's an increase

EDIT~ I was just looking some roles, and it seems the siren has a few moves that increase stress, so maybe that could be the cause?

Lycanthropy

[cd=font-family:Special Elite;font-size:16px;color
    Years
  • I think no matter what we do, the mafias will be at their advantage as they will know who to hit (or moreover who not to hit). I mean, it's D1 after all. Spreading the damage will make sure innocents are hit, yes, but also that the mafia folks are damaged, but maybe not as much. On the other hand, attacking one or a few people all-out is a lot riskier: much to lose or to gain. Here as well, the mafia will know who to target, making an inno death more likely. But then again, the mafia faction are all small. Bad guys can still easily hit other bad guys. Personally I think it's the best to go for the latter, the question being... who?

Also, assuming the Jester being the cause for the white "+15". That means one of the town roles knows the identity of the Grave Robber know and can possibly find us some evildoers on the next nights. We must be careful not to lose such a valuable asset too soon!

Nakuzami

[img]https://i.imgur.com/iwlpePA.png[/img]
    Years
  • Day One Phase Post said:
    The Man-at-Arms looked out at the dark and looming hill. Day approached, but not nearly fast enough. He felt an evil presence nearby and raised his weapon, peering into the thick fog with his one remaining eye. He shivered and felt as if his soul were nearly ripped from his body, but the feeling dissipated almost as soon as it had arrived. He turned and opened the Inn's door, where the The Jester's mandolin chimed with a soothing melody.

Soothing melody. Soothing. Stress relief.

I'm rolling with it.

Day One Phase Post said:
    The Arbalist heard the laughter, but was chasing her own quarry. She rounded the corner and fired her crossbow at the foul monster. It shrieked in agony and wheeled about. The Siren slashed its massive tail at its attacker, but The Arbalist was too quick and ducked down an alley. Peaking out, she discovered the beast was gone.

At nearly the same time, The Cannibal lunged towards his prey. He was starving and had to eat. He did not care who. As he tore into his victim's flesh, they screamed and he ran. He knew the risks of his hunger, but the taste of flesh and his starvation made for a deliciously deadly mix.

Grave Robber +15
    Arbalist -3
    Abomination -6

Collector -3
    Siren -2
    Ghoul -4

This is all the damage that was done last night. The Ghoul took damage from the trap. The Siren was hit by the Arbalist (should be spelled Arbalest, btw).

The soul being ripped from the Man-at-Arms was likely the Collector. In-game, he can summon shadelike replicas of the Highwayman, Vestal, and Man-at-Arms to aid him in battle. I'm willing to bet he has to actually do the collecting first in this incarnation.

That could mean that the damage that the Collector took came from the Man-at-Arm's Riposte ability.

In that case, the Abomination or Arbalest was hit by the Cannibal. However, when the Ghoul was hit by the trap, it said "someone had trapped its target," implying that the Abomination had been trapped and potentially damaged, alongside the scratch left by the Ghoul. In that case, the Cannibal hit the Arbalest.

Also, touching on something Lycan said: not all of the Terrors know each other. That means they can easily harm and kill one another. This is not their goal, obviously, so spreading out damage or performing like actions may allow the Terrors to figure each other out more easily than the Heroes.

edit: side note - everytime I say "Terrors," I mean "Evils and Terrors," because I briefly didn't realize they were listed as separate things. Oops.

Last edited:
    Years
    • Seen Mar 11, 2023
    I don't really have much to say that hasn't already been said. It's day one and we don't have much to work with right now, so I'll probably throw out a random vote later.

Years
  • I mean, putting like four different scores next to names would probably be a bit much tbh. So at this point in time, I'm inclined to think that all health increases/losses and stress increases/losses will be in the same colour and differentiated by a subtraction or addition symbol.

Also, ignore my last stupid post I missed a bit of flavour text and like two pages of discussion. It's obvious a role disrupted the dawn phase and that's why we went straight to day.

That's all I've got for now, although I'm inclined to agree with most deductions.

Bidoof FTW

[cd=font-family:carter one; font-size:13pt; color:
    Years
  • I've noticed that since there are so many evils/terrors random bashing one person looks like it can't be as risky as random lynching in a normal mafia game, but that also comes with the risk of randomly killing a couple innos because of how dying works in this game x:

NightKrow

staying up all night
    Years
  • Well, it looked like everyone covered pretty much everything from the flavour text. Not sure how accurate all the speculation is at this point, if we're still in day phase tomorrow I could read through and do my own analysis of it. Too late in the day to start now ;)

So what's the plan today? I doubt people would be willing to reveal this early, so unless someone slips up bigtime then I guess we're going random. I liked Bard's idea - it's essentially the same as a D1 lynch in a non-stats game. Unless, of course, we end up killing the target before everyone has voted. From what I can tell, most people seem to have pretty low HP compared to some of the game's attack stats. If whoever caused 6 damage during the night also has a day attack of 6, if that hits a Villager, that's a third of their HP gone from just one attack. If this is what we're going to do chances are we'll end up killing more than one person. Ofc not everyone has a day attack that high, but then unless we happen to choose someone with loads of HP, it's still a possibility.

Years
  • Both a gang-lynch against one unfortunate person and a mass random lynch have distinct advantages and disadvantages.

One lynch: Less damage, less information for the mafia. Of course we might also kill a PR and still end up having to lynch more people. This way someone is certain to die.

Mass lynch: More damage spread, more info for the mafia. Less chance that someone will die.

Years
  • Wow, you guys are coming up with a lot of nice predictions and ideas. I really have nothing to add because pretty much all of the bases have been covered. So who do we attack? (this is just gut feelings pls don't hurt me) If anyone I'm leaning more towards Zehn and Abby for coming up with the idea to attack all different people, which seems kind of obviously like a bad idea (to me). Getting town from Naku, Bard, GP, Lycan, and Nina. I really like how much Nina came up with even though they never played the game before (like me). Also, can someone link me a list of characters and abilities or something like that? That would be nice.

Years
  • Who revealed their HP? (I'm too lazy to read all that I missed) or did you just slip up knowing "most" people's HP?

EDIT: Plus one to Drewbie's read.

What a catch. I didn't even think twice about this until you said it... I'm gonna wait for an explanation for this.

Also, I know, my reads are the best.

NightKrow

staying up all night
    Years
  • It was an assumption based on villagers having 18 HP and my role having significantly less than that, so I thought the majority of other roles would also have similarly low HP. My bad if they don't.

Back