• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

The foe's ROSERADE used Poison Sting!

Years
  • Earlier on in the main series games, before gen V, Pokémon names (and character + move in even older games) were in CAPS. Did this bother you? Was anyone else like me as a kid and changed them to be lowercase? If you nicknamed any mons in those games, did you keep the nickname in CAPS too?

Years
  • made sense to me in the GBC era where the fonts were pretty pixelated and it sorta helped with readability. but keeping it up until the DS era? pretty weird at that point.

i will say though, it was a lot faster to nickname pokemon when i didn't have to switch to the lowercase keyboard after the first letter.

Years
  • yeah, for gens 1 and 2 I def understand more, but it was so strange in DPPt. especially since move and human names weren't all caps at that point.

I tried to nickname my mons in Proper Casing in the older gens too, but the inconsistency for my nicknamed mons + the fodder I caught for HMs and the like which I didn't nickname bothered me too much so I stopped. :(

faf

[b][color=#1acc14]Queen of Dragons[/color][/b]
    Years
  • I think I remember hating the switch to lowercase in Gen 5 to the point I renamed the mons in all caps. Nowadays, I am completely fine without all caps but all caps don't bother me either. As for nicknames, some were all caps but most of them were lowercase.

SawkTheWarrior

SW-7387-7525-9201
    Years
  • What i do is when i catch a pokemon i want to use in the game, its name is lowercase i.e Sawk, but a pokemon i catch for the dex is in caps, i.e THROH.

Sydian

fake your death.
    Years
  • when i was a kid i nicknamed my pokemon in all caps. so you can tell which pokemon are my oldest based on that ahaha. i did change a lot of them though, before trading to my copy of emerald where they all reside, but there's still a few all caps in there from various ruby and colosseum playthroughs. i saw a friend nickname his pokemon w lowercase when i was like 13/14 so i've been doing that ever since in all games.

Years
    • Seen today
    In Gen 1 I'll usually name in all uppercase, but that's the only exception.

Years
  • bothered the hell out of me because i felt like i had to capitalise my character name as well and i didn't like that lol

thank goodness that's changed

Years
    • She/Her, It/Its
    • Seen today
    I stick to what the game does. If it capitalizes the names, I capitalize the names. If it doesn't, I don't.

A minor pet peeve I have with ROM hacks from old generations is when the hack designer decides to change that part. Capitalization was made for readability, afteral.

Years
    • Seen Oct 31, 2023
    I name them normally regardless. I don't ever get bothered by it and only thought of it today when I read this post.

Noblejanobii

The Maddest Shaymin
    Years
  • It definitely bothered me a ton as a kid and I'd literally go and nickname a Pokémon its species name in all lowercase even if it was just HM or Dex fodder just because it bothered me so much.

Years
    • Seen Oct 31, 2023
    Is it just me or I'm I the only one who nicknamed my Pokémon all lowercase regardless of the game?

Lordecoxinha

English might falter
    Years
  • The only time I don't type nicknames like proper nouns is when I'm doing one of those jokey names like "oh no he" but I hardly ever do those so yeah.

Back when I was a kid it was all caps, but nowadays it hurts me :/

Back