• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

Sports The Football Discussion Thread!

Years
  • Well, for my nation's chances in Group C, we're very likely losing to France in that first game since they are a powerhouse in the Top 10 plus the fact they thrashed us 6-0 in a game back in 2013, though the Danish and the Peruvians are close to that part of the world rankings as well (the Peruvians are #11 and the Danish #12), so it'll be tough.

I know I don't want to hurt any Australian football fans' hearts, but we're likely going to fail in the group stage again, like we did the last two times. France will likely top the group, while second I probably see going to the Danish. I feel our only win here will probably be in the final group game against Peru, considering they had a 36-year drought before this WC.

It's also interesting that out of six WC's that both Argentina and Nigeria played, this is the fifth time of those six that they drew in the same group. I'm also definitely interested in Group D, especially with that small fairytale story that is Iceland. Groups E and H look competitive as well, while I see Group B as the "group of death" for this WC considering Spain (2010 champs) and Portugal (Euro 2016 champs) are both in there, along with a surprisingly good Moroccan side.

Group G is probably the boring one here, since Tunisia looks to be a complete pushover, and Panama hasn't even played a WC before. Group F is going to be a pushover for the Germans, since we know they will obviously top it, especially with being the defending WC champions as well. Group E will be an easy ride for the Brazilians as well.

Uruguay will also probably have an easy time getting out of Group A, especially with a mediocre side like Russia who only got in because they're the hosts. Saudi Arabia could be a strong team there since they did deny my nation automatic qualification and relegated us to playoffs.

Last edited:
    Reactions: %

%

percent
    Years
    • Age 23
    • Seen Jan 29, 2018
    first impressions on the groups. i am so excited for this words can't even explain. will be making an effort to watch every match (although that will probably fall apart a few days in)

group a:
    Spoiler:

group b:
    Spoiler:

group c: f
    Spoiler:

group d:
    Spoiler:

group e:
    Spoiler:

group f:
    Spoiler:

group g:
    Spoiler:

group h:
    Spoiler:

Years
  • first impressions on the groups. i am so excited for this words can't even explain. will be making an effort to watch every match (although that will probably fall apart a few days in)

group a:
    Spoiler:

group b:
    Spoiler:

group c: f
    Spoiler:

group d:
    Spoiler:

group e:
    Spoiler:

group f:
    Spoiler:

group g:
    Spoiler:

group h:
    Spoiler:

You got some good picks. Maybe I do see my nation's chances of progressing much better now since the Danish tend to rely on the star player Eriksen, while Peru are coming into this WC with a 28-year drought. Peru have not faced Australia previously in any meeting, while Australia's last meetings with the French and Danish both resulted in defeat.

So I do think your choices are definitely what I'd expect. Considering Argentina's sloppy qualifying campaign, I'm probably seeing Iceland pose as Nigeria's biggest threat in Group D, but I'm seeing top spot there definitely go to the Nigerians who have a young side in this WC. Iceland showed that a small nation can still pose big problems to the opposition as they showed at Euro 2016, so they'll definitely be a potential dark horse.

Reactions: %
    Years
  • Ok, I'll try to make a "bet" about the World Cup too! First of all, it's interesting how Argentina and Nigeria are in the same group again. In 1994 the group was Argentina, Nigeria, Bulgaria, and Greece, in 2010 it was Argentina, Nigeria, Korea ( I think), and Greece. Now here we go again.

Anyway, group A: this will be a very interesting group and my bet goes for Russia and Urugay. Egypt has a good team and coach too but I don't think it can get a good result against Russia or Urugay, but we'll see!

Group B: I think things are very clear in this group. Spain and Porugal will fight for the first place. Iran and Morocco can't compared with these two teams.

Group C: This is another one interesting group! I'm not that sure about this one but my bet will be France and Denmark. I don't have anything more to say because unfortunately, I don't know many things about these national teams.

Group D: Everyone loves to see Iceland in this WC after the last Euro. Argentina isn't really in a good shape like it was before some years ago but still it's Argentina. My bet on this one is Argentina and Nigeria. However, Croatia and Iceland have really good teams too, I'm looking forward for this games

Group E: Alright, one more interesting group. My bet for this one is Brazil, and Serbia. I mean, I'm rooting for Serbia but they have a very good team and they also finished first in their group on the qualification round

Group F: Probably the most interesting group. Anything can happen here so I really don't know. What I'm hoping for is Mexico and Sweden tho.

Group G: I'm pretty sure Belgium and England can qualify from that group. But I don't know anything about Panama and Tunisia.

Group H: Again, an interesting group. Colombia will probably qualify at first place. Now about the second place... Idk, I would say Poland

Years
  • Wow, Crystal Palace genuinely seem to have turned it around. Now 14th place with 17 points after 0 points and 0 goals in their 1st 7 matches. They are still relegation contenders (safe by just 3 points) but no longer in the top 3 favourites.

Years
  • There used to be 4 or 5. Last season I played alone. This site seems to have a lot of visitors but so few football fans.

Years
  • Juventus advance into the quarter-final.

I am hoping my prediction will look like this:
    Manchester City vs Juventus
    0:0
    (3:0 on Penalty Shootout)

I did this for the FIFA 19 to demonstrate about my prediction.

Years
  • Juventus advance into the quarter-final.

I am hoping my prediction will look like this:
    Manchester City vs Juventus
    0:0
    (3:0 on Penalty Shootout)

I did this for the FIFA 19 to demonstrate about my prediction.

Lysander

girl power ftw
    Years
  • The English clubs are doing well this season. I can't remember the last time there were four English clubs in the CL Quarter-Finals.

Lysander

girl power ftw
    Years
  • Ajax vs Juventus
    Liverpool vs Porto
    Tottenham vs Man City
    Barcelona vs Man Utd

I'm predicting Juventus, Liverpool, Man City and Barcelona to advance to the Semi-finals

bobandbill

one more time
    Years
  • Go Ajax! ALways fun going for the underdog in such matches.

Glad to see Poland have a good start to their euro qualifiers but it sure doesn't seem convincing. Bad coaches continue yadda yadda. Lucky they have such an easy group...

Back