• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

The Legend of Zelda

Mark Kamill

I like kitties
Years
    • Age 30
    • Seen Jun 13, 2023
    Eh, even though it's not an official 'Zelda game'... what do you guys think of Hyrule Warriors? I think it looks kind of cool, and I'm interested on learning more about it!
    I love musou games. I love Zelda. Therefore I love this game. Its simple really. I understand the lack of polish they have might deter people along with the action over puzzle focus, which is seemingly so for now, but something tells me that because this is Nintendo its gonna be something special.
    You see the way I see it, the games basically going to be a Zelda, without being a Zelda title. What I mean is, the core mechanics are borrowing from both properties equally, with the Hearts and Magic Bar intact, along with a Musou bar for the combos. Then you have the battles, which offer the use of Zelda items as well. The way I see it, that could well mean exploration and puzzles are still in.
    In fact, I also believe this will be the first Musou game with an open world, that you have to traverse to get from battle to battle. The reason for this is to give us scale for the next Zelda game. Crazy I know, but it could work. The story could go something along Link being a new Commander, and Zelda sent him out to explore Hyrule, rally the masses, defeat the evils in each area yada yada. They could work dungeons into it to even, providing a challenge, by say I dunno, tackling each one solo.

So yeah, I really want this game to work, but I might be too ambitious with my hopes.

Altairis

take me ☆ take you
    Years
  • I think it looks really cool!! I'm definitely going to buy it, although I hope that it turns out to be something good and not just a moneymaking game. I haven't played a game in this style before so this'll be interesting. :3 But dang, look at the graphics - they're kinda like Twilight Princess <3 Imagine a full-fledged Wii U Zelda like this.

Speaking of TP, it was definitely my favorite Zelda. Skyward Sword and Ocarina of Time are close seconds (I can't pick ;;) and if SS hadn't used the Motion Plus and stuck with TP's combat, it would probably be first. I got tripped up SO often by the Motion Plus, I don't think mine was working right or something because it would do all sorts of odd things ;; Moldarach sHOULD have been the easiest boss but I kept dying because my remote wouldn't register the trust >.> I also really want to replay SS, but I keep getting screwed over by the Forest Temple boss. Whelp, I suck.

OOT is amazing - it's what got me into Zelda. Unlike a lot of fans I only started playing Zelda like last year or so, and it's my favorite video game franchise (sorry, Pokemon!) <3

Years
    • Seen Jul 8, 2023
    I really recommend ALBW to any Zelda fan, if you can get your hands on it. Fantastic game for sure.

Besides ALBW the only Zeldas I've played much of are OoT, Link's Awakening, Oracle of Seasons/Ages, Minish Cap, and Spirit Tracks.

Yeah, I know, hoping to remedy that soon with WW HD and maybe a Majora's Mask remake on 3DS.

SnowpointQuincy

Seeker of FRIEND CODES
    Years
  • I loved the original Zelda. I played a few minutes of Zelda 3 before the new game came out.

Link Between Worlds if my favorite so far.

LBW allows me some freedom in how I play. Dungeons can be done in any order, I can hit far off switches with bombs instead of arrows, I can attack the bosses however I want. It at least feels like I'm making choices.

I would Play Majora's Mask on 3DS.

(I hate OoT, oooooo *hides*)

Years
  • I've never actually beaten a Zelda game. The closest I've come was on Oracle of Seasons, where I got three of the four towers unlocked or whatever, but then I fell into the infamous ditch of getting stuck and not caring enough to find a walkthrough. Now if I went back I don't know if I'd be able to find where I am.

My favorite in the series is probably that or Skyward Sword.

Dragon

lover of milotics
    Years
  • So, if I can make a discussion here, what are your favourite items from the Legend of Zelda series? o: I always loved the bombchus!

bombchu.png

They're quite handy lil'things to move around and blow stuff up. <33

Hatsune Mika

FireRed Nuzlocke
    Years
  • I'm a big fan of all the Zelda games from the Gamecube onward, but my favorite was actually TLoZ: A Link to the Past because it was my first Zelda game. I don't think there are any titles in the series that I actually hate, but ones that I kind of disdained were Phantom Hourglass and the 3DS EShop re-release of Link's Awakening.
    Phantom Hourglass was seriously flawed. The gameplay was exceedingly difficult on the DS's touch screen, since you basically had to swipe your stylus against it painfully hard just to get your sword to slash (It was the same in Spirit Tracks too, but the issue wasn't as bad as Phatom Hourglass). That alone made this game very hard to play through because you also had tap the touch screen for everything else and sometimes you'd activate the wrong actions, which got really annoying (especially in boss fights).
    Link's Awakening kind of annoyed me because it seemed like the only point of the game was that you had to fight your way through a really bad Zelda/Mario crossover. Normally, I don't mind references to other Nintendo games, but this was bad to the point where I almost stopped playing (I beat it once through, but having played it since. Note: I downloaded the DX version from EShop, so I don't know what the original was like for the GBC if there are any differences at all).
    Did you ever calibrate your ds? I calibrated my ds often and I had grown into the habit of holding with one hand and the other with a stylus. The hand with the stylus had the pinky holding the R button to open up the item and use it. Very complicated to learn but cut the time of frustration. When I calibrated I barely touched the screen so tjat it was
    sensitive.

My favorite tool was the arrow in OoT. I was a boss with the arrows especially in twilight princess with the new setup for shooting arrows. I also have Link's crossbow training and that is really fun.

Last edited:

Dansparce

The Unbeatable
    Years
  • Hmm... This one's a toughie.

If masks count, I'd say the Stone mask from Majora's mask. It makes you invisible to most enemies in the game, allowing you to either stroll by unnoticed or attack without being seen. It also every stealth 'mission' into an absolute joke.

If not, then I'd probably have to say the Spinner from Twilight Princess. So what if its nearly useless outside of the dungeon you get it from? The Spinner is ridiculous and I love it.

Hyzenthlay

[span=font-size: 16px; font-family: cinzel; color:
    Years
  • I've played plenty of Zelda games before, but Skyward Sword would have to be my personal favorite. Its graphics were extremely bright and colorful, and the story wasn't hard to get sucked into—it was pretty interesting. Plus, most of the time, you had to swing your arms around with Wiimote to control the player (not just mash random buttons)—this helped you feel as if you were actually in the game, and not someone who was just viewing things from the outside. Along with Skyward Sword, another of my favorites is Twilight Princess.

My favorite characters from the series are definitely Zelda and Link. These are the main, though, so aside from them, I also like Navi (some may find her to be a bit annoying, but I still like her), Demise, Ganon, and Epona. Epona, especially, since she's such a friendly horse. (: You were able to ride her wherever and whenever, and she'd always come running to you as soon as you blew your whistle. Wish I had a pet horse like this in real life.

My words exactly!

I loved Skyward Sword's cartoony design. That game appealed to me more than any other of the Zelda franchise! The story line was also good and not too complicated. The graphics were simply great and I loved flying. <3 I also think Zelda just so cute, cheery and up-beat, which I found much better than the somber Twilight Princess Zelda, even if you don't see her often. The dungeons are also fun, though trying to use the bow can be a pain.

My second favourite would be Twilight Princess. This game's graphics were simply amazing for it's time and Epona is the best! The riding mechanics were so well done. The dark story is much different to Skyward Sword's, but I still enjoyed it. There's also a lot to do in that game and it never gets boring. <3

Nah

Years
    • Age 31
    • she/her, they/them
    • Seen today
    For the item discussion, my favorite item in the Zelda world is probably the Bow&Arrow. As much fun as the melee combat is, sometimes I just wanna snipe foes. And having a variety of weapons (you get a sword, bow, bombs, slingshot, iron ball, etc) is fun. The nice thing is that, for whatever reason, I'm a decent shot with the bow in the Zelda games, for the most part, unlike most other games, where my shooting skills are so-so (particularly with sniping, I'm a terrible sniper, which is sad because sniping is so fun).

My favorite Zelda games are Twilight Princess and Ocarina of Time. The only one I wasn't too fond of was Four Swords. And the last bit of Wind Waker (collecting the pieces of the Triforce of Courage was ****ing awful).

Mark Kamill

I like kitties
    Years
    • Age 30
    • Seen Jun 13, 2023
    Although its not exactly a useful item, I loved the hint glasses in LBW, simply because its so hilarious to walk around in a pair of Groucho Marx glasses. I say this in complete honesty that I wish you could play through the game with them on the entire time without the blue tint. Alas though, you can't.

So yeah, I finally played Link between Worlds(actually played a lot of 3DS games lately, but this is the LoZ thread). Mostly happy, except for some things.
    1. I am extremely glad how the plot played out. Nothing related to other games, and even though its a retread of of LttP's plot, the way they planned things did bring enough twists. I liked how they started the quest with the first dungeon not being the beginning of a fetch quest, and then later on letting you do things at your own pace. Most importantly with the plot, the choices of the sages was perfect. Everyone and anyone that was important to you thanks to plot exposition and exploration needed saving, and it gave the game a greater sense of personal satisfaction then the series has ever employed.
    2. The music. Nothing more needs to be said. Everything fits, everything works. The different levels of grandiose used for Hyrule/Lorule was an amazing surprise, as was Lorule Castle's slow build up to the final moments. When the lyrics finally hit you towards the end, you just wanna stand there and let the soundtrack play. Although, to be honest, I wouldn't have minded an option to have the acoustic version of every track play instead of the normal versions during hero mode.
    3. The most important part however, is how different yet how same the game feels to LttP. Its the same OW, but its not the same world. Especially lorule. Only thing I would have liked is if Hyrule was a bit more fleshed out, cause too much focus is given to Lorule.
    4. This game does leave you a bitter taste in one aspect though. It makes you realize what a misstep the last 4 games have been. Not saying they aren't excellent mind you(I hold Twilight Princess and Skyward Sword in the highest regard, and I think Spirit Tracks is still the most underrated title in the series despite its flaws) but after this game, the standards bar has been raised to a height the series hasn't achieved since Majora's Mask. I still don't know if its good though, cause the expectations I now have for Zelda U are astronomically high. Too high for my own good I say.

Years
    • Seen Feb 3, 2014
    Majora's Mask because it is so creepy, although the only Zelda game I have actually beaten is Spirit Tracks on the DS. (out of all Zelda games) lol

Atomic Pirate

I always win.
    Years
  • I'm nowhere near a huge Zelda fan, but I like a number of the games. My favorite would be Link to the Past, that game was so much fun. Plus, it was one of my first games.

Years
  • 1. I am extremely glad how the plot played out. Nothing related to other games, and even though its a retread of of LttP's plot, the way they planned things did bring enough twists. I liked how they started the quest with the first dungeon not being the beginning of a fetch quest, and then later on letting you do things at your own pace. Most importantly with the plot, the choices of the sages was perfect. Everyone and anyone that was important to you thanks to plot exposition and exploration needed saving, and it gave the game a greater sense of personal satisfaction then the series has ever employed.
    I felt kind of disappointed but the plot. What was there was fantastic, but because of the whole non linearity thing there were large gaps in the game that have very little plot advancement. If you play through other Zelda games there's usually quite a bit of content between dungeons that introduces new characters and sometimes expands on other ones. ALBW felt kind of... lonely, because once you get to Lorule you don't really meet any important characters after Hilda (I guess you can kind of count some of the people in Thieve's Town, but they're pretty irrelevant) so it's pretty much just Link doing his thing until the end of the game.

4. This game does leave you a bitter taste in one aspect though. It makes you realize what a misstep the last 4 games have been. Not saying they aren't excellent mind you(I hold Twilight Princess and Skyward Sword in the highest regard, and I think Spirit Tracks is still the most underrated title in the series despite its flaws) but after this game, the standards bar has been raised to a height the series hasn't achieved since Majora's Mask. I still don't know if its good though, cause the expectations I now have for Zelda U are astronomically high. Too high for my own good I say.
    The dungeons in the game set an incredibly high standard for me and I hope Zelda U delivers in that regard. Playing through Wind Waker again I realised how many of the older puzzles were more frustrating than anything, and had an abundance of repetition. The dungeons and puzzles in ALBW were pretty ingenious and never felt bland or irritating. Hopefully future games can keep this up.

Also, re: items, I'd probably put the Beetle from SS as my favourite. I was using it constantly from the beginning to scout out places and what not.

Years
  • My first Zelda experience was Link to the Past. Didn't know much English at the time but thanks to games like Zelda I had a better motivation to learn than just studying it in school "because". Loved every bit of it then, and it might because of nostalgia goggles, but I do think it's one of the better games in the series. However, taken as a whole, Ocarina of Time just provided an overall better experience and I have so many memories of running around during school breaks, pretending to be characters from the game :3c ....

I did have a period of absence from the series for a while though. I never owned a Gamecube and almost never touched any of the portable games. I did enjoy Twilight Princess when it came out but felt that there was something lacking - can't really pinpoint what but I never did finish that game....

Bought a Wii U partly because Windaker HD looked so gorgeous (and the special remote as well): the game was very enjoyable even if it was a bit too easy on normal. Will probably pick up "A Link Between Worlds" as my traditional summer holiday purchase ;)

Jet Pilot

I killed Spiderman.
    Years
  • Windwaker and Twilight Princess have been my favorite. I LIKE Ocarina of Time but not as much as those two. However after using a Windwaker texture pack on OOT, I think I've fallen in love once again.

pompayyy

Forever and Ever
    Years
  • Well, I do consider myself to be a pretty big Zelda fan....

My favorite game is Link: The Faces of Evil for the Phillips' CD-i. Never before has a game touched me inside, and artistically moved me.

jk, my favorite is Wind Waker. The cartoony design is just wonderful, and it's arguably the best looking Gamecube game. The sword mechanic took everything from Ocarina of Time, and injected steroids into it. You need to own this game if you have a gamecube or Wii U.

And the coolest Zelda item is the Pegasus Boots in BS The Legend of Zelda: The Ancient Stone Tablets (it's a Japanese-only game, distributed online to the Satellaview Super Famicom add-on). It works like it does in LTTP, but guess what? YOU CAN TURN!!

Satoshi Ookami

Memento Mori
    Years
  • I played a bit one Zelda on friend's 3DS but that's unfortunately all experience I have with Zelda games...
    I know it's monopolized by Nintendo but I still would love to experience Zelda game on Sony console =D

Years
  • I've played Ocarina of Time and Wind Waker; always wanted to play Twilight Princess because of the different direction of art style and the darker themes, in comparison to others. Ocarina of Time has been one of my all-time favourite games because it was a childhood game and one of the very firsts I've played. It's one of those timeless video games that even though the graphics may not be high-end, it was definitely an excellent game for its time. Wind Waker was okay, memorable, but not my favourite.

Years
    • Seen Feb 6, 2014
    Wind waker is my favorite. Loved the open map and the feeling that you could go anywhere. I also love the cel shaded graphics and the more lighthearted story. But many Zelda-games are great. I really like the oracle-games for the gameboy colors, especially oracle of ages. That game had some seriously hard puzzles.

Back