• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

The Protagonists

pkmin3033

Can we really be sure those are their default outfits for US/UM and not a way to show off the new customizable clothes available to wear?
    I would say it's a fairly safe bet - surely they'd wait until a later trailer or magazine scan to showcase customisation options, rather than do it from the get-go?

Years
  • Can we really be sure those are their default outfits for US/UM and not a way to show off the new customizable clothes available to wear?

Considering the way they are zoomed-out like when after the S/M protagonist puts on their hat and bag, it's fair to say these will be the default outfits.

Years
  • I have to say the new protagonist designs are definitely an improvement. The female looks super cute and I admit she's definitely going to be liked more than Moon since she actually has a better hat and more fitting clothes for Alola.

Don't like the male though. He reminds me way too much of Nate from B2/W2, with that wearing shorts over tights thing.

Desert Stream~

Holy Kipper!
    Years
    • She/Her
    • Seen Aug 20, 2023
    The female is nice.
    The male is also nice, but I think he's about on par with SM's male.

Years
  • If the new protagonists look this good, just imagine how well the clothing and hair options will be. I just better hope they don't do version exclusive status with the clothes and colours again.

Desert Stream~

Holy Kipper!
    Years
    • She/Her
    • Seen Aug 20, 2023
    If the new protagonists look this good, just imagine how well the clothing and hair options will be. I just better hope they don't do version exclusive status with the clothes and colours again.

heh, imo it would be hard to top the hairstyles. I do think the clothing options are gonna be fabulous.

Frozocrone

Fighting a bigger fight
    Years
  • Girl looks fine and better than SM.

Boy looks...odd. Clothing is fine, it's the pose that doesn't do it for me. He's clearly showing motion, as shown with his feet movement, but what a weird way to walk - and if he's not walking, then he's jumping at which point why is the hat motionless. At least the girl is holding onto her hat.

Pyrax

Midnight Guest
    Years
    • he/him
    • UK
    • Seen yesterday
    Selene's pose is great - she's showing motion and actually looks much more "alive" than artworks of the previous protags. I'm surprised they've stuck with static poses for this long. Her new hat's an improvement from her flower hat imo.
    Elio's weird pose aside, his shorts and undershorts remind me a lot of Nate's design. Can't help but wonder if that's a reference to BW2.

If the new protagonists look this good, just imagine how well the clothing and hair options will be. I just better hope they don't do version exclusive status with the clothes and colours again.
    Hopefully with more clothing options this time. SM's were just recolours of the same handful of clothes imo.

clbgolden

Swampert Fan
    Years
    • Seen Sep 22, 2019
    The girl protagonist's design looks so cute, aaaaaaaaaaaa~

The boy's on the other hand... Ugh. I really hate the shorts over tights look (does anyone even dress like that IRL?), and that bucket hat... Bleh. Thank goodness there's customization.

Vindra

Years
    • Seen Sep 4, 2017
    I love the girl character's design! The hat is much cuter than the original one, not that it matters too much with all the customization options available. Can't really comment on the boy's since I never play as a boy. Like everyone else, I hope they have more expressions this time... it would make them seem more human.

Years
  • I thought these two were just SM characters redesigned. Where did it say that they are new?

Bulbapedia seems to have updated their pages with the new art, confirming that these protagonists are still "Sun" and "Moon" but with new outfits and different hair. This makes them the first protagonists to change outfit within games of a generation since Lucas and Dawn's outfit change between D/P and Platinum.

Altairis

take me ☆ take you
    Years
  • Bulbapedia seems to have updated their pages with the new art, confirming that these protagonists are still "Sun" and "Moon" but with new outfits and different hair. This makes them the first protagonists to change outfit within games of a generation since Lucas and Dawn's outfit change between D/P and Platinum.

I don't think I understand. they arent the same literal Champion character, so why does it matter what their names are. Plus did people really think they would be named "Ultra Sun" and "Ultra Moon"..? nah of course they're still gonna be Sun and Moon lol

Years
  • I don't think I understand. they arent the same literal Champion character, so why does it matter what their names are. Plus did people really think they would be named "Ultra Sun" and "Ultra Moon"..? nah of course they're still gonna be Sun and Moon lol

Bulbapedia has updated their pages with the new artwork, pretty much confirming they are the same protagonists as in S/M

I also noticed the Moon page seems to be considering changing her name to "Selene" which has been her most common referred fan name.

Years
    • Seen Apr 22, 2018
    The new trainer art looks terrible, but Moon at least improves on her original design (which felt too much like a mashup of the Hoenn protagonists, IMO). Both her new hat and her new hairstyle look way better.

Sun, on the other hand, continues to be lame. :rolleyes2: It's bad enough that he was already yet another generic Red/Ash clone dressed in blue, but now they've flat out made him a partial Nate ripoff (and Nate himself was a partial ripoff of Emerald Brendan, though still retaining Hilbert's boring red/blue/black color scheme).

Were they really that out of ideas for his design? And, would it really kill them to design a male PC that wasn't wearing blue? It annoys me how generic and samey the male PCs have been since Gen 4, and I say this as someone who usually plays as the girl.

Altairis

take me ☆ take you
    Years
  • Bulbapedia has updated their pages with the new artwork, pretty much confirming they are the same protagonists as in S/M

I also noticed the Moon page seems to be considering changing her name to "Selene" which has been her most common referred fan name.

oh do you think that it's the SM protagonist that went on to be Champions, then got rid of their Pokemon and are starting a new journey on Alola? Is that what you mean by same protagonists? sorry just trying to understand

Alexander18

Banned
    Years
    • NZ
    • Seen Dec 29, 2017
    oh do you think that it's the SM protagonist that went on to be Champions, then got rid of their Pokemon and are starting a new journey on Alola? Is that what you mean by same protagonists? sorry just trying to understand
    I believe USUM are alternate stories which means SM events never happen in the USUM universe. Therefore the main characters are the same without any issues/complications.

Altairis

take me ☆ take you
    Years
  • I believe USUM are alternate stories which means SM events never happen in the USUM universe. Therefore the main characters are the same without any issues/complications.

Alexander's point would make sense. Remember that US/UM have been promoted as a so-called "alternate story".

well this is what I always thought but Hikamaru was confusing me with her wording, implying that they were the literal same which makes no sense

Years
  • oh do you think that it's the SM protagonist that went on to be Champions, then got rid of their Pokemon and are starting a new journey on Alola? Is that what you mean by same protagonists? sorry just trying to understand

It is indeed the same protagonists (at least I think since Bulbapedia and the official media is claiming so) but taking place in a story that's different to S/M.

Back