• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

[Challenge] The Solo Challenge

Explorer of Time

Advocate of Ideals
Years
Pokemon Yellow
Solo Gengar - Master Trainer Genji
Update 4 (Route 9 -> Celadon Gym)

Another update. I made my way through Route 9 and Rock Tunnel all the way to Celadon. I took a brief detour into Saffron to get the TM for Psychic, giving Gengar its final moveset for the rest of the game, but otherwise I went straight to the Celadon Gym. I haven't bothered with the Rocket Hideout yet so that's going to take place in the next update. In retrospect, I should've replaced Hypnosis with Thunderbolt instead of Night Shade; I had to use Body Slam to hit the Geodude, Graveler, and Onix that the hikers used in Rock Tunnel, and I had to backtrack a lot to restore PP.

This gym leader was, yet again, a pushover. Erika's Tangela got 2HKOed by Psychic, dealing only 8 HP in damage to Gengar on a critical Vine Whip, and then Gengar 1HKOed both her Weepinbell and Gloom.

Solo Pokémon:
gengar.png
Gengar | Ghost/Poison | Level 48
Moves: Psychic (12 PP), Thunderbolt, Body Slam, Confuse Ray
Stats: 145 HP / 93 Atk / 87 Def / 132 Spe / 151 SpC

Explorer of Time

Advocate of Ideals
Years
Pokemon Yellow
Update 5 (Rocket Hideout -> Saffron Gym)

Another boring easy update. I swept through the Rocket Hideout, Pokemon Tower, and Silph Co. without Gengar taking a single point of damage from anyone in Team Rocket. My rival did slightly better in that he actually managed to not get his Ninetales 1HKOed and used Ember to do a little bit of damage. If Sabrina had led with anything other than her Abra, her gym battle would've been the hardest in the game, but as it turns out, it will most likely be the easiest. Abra just wasted every turn on Teleport (I was expecting Flash from what Bulbapedia said was its only move, so I used a 1st-turn Guard Spec that did nothing), and I used all five of my X Specials to boost Gengar's Special into the stratosphere and 1HKO her whole team with Thunderbolt.

Why does she even have a Lv. 50 Abra?

Solo Pokémon:
gengar.png
Gengar | Ghost/Poison | Level 63
Moves: Psychic (14 PP), Thunderbolt, Body Slam, Confuse Ray
Stats: 195 HP / 128 Atk / 119 Def / 178 Spe / 205 SpC

Explorer of Time

Advocate of Ideals
Years
Pokemon Yellow
Update 6 (Route 12 -> Fuschia Gym)

I beat both Snorlax and went down Routes 12/13/14/15/16/17/18. Gengar 1HKOed everything in its path including Koga's Venomoth and 3 Venonat without taking a single point of damage this segment. I got a few PP Ups to make it so I don't have to go back to Pokemon Centers quite as frequently to restore PP, too. This is getting boring and I look forward to being done with this challenge.

Solo Pokémon:

gengar.png
Gengar | Ghost/Poison | Level 71
Moves: Psychic (16 PP), Thunderbolt (18 PP), Body Slam, Confuse Ray
Stats: 222 HP / 149 Atk / 138 Def / 205 Spe / 235 SpC

Explorer of Time

Advocate of Ideals
Years
Pokemon Yellow
Update 7 (Safari Zone -> Cinnabar Gym)

I went and got the HMs from the Safari Zone, then explored everywhere in Kanto that I couldn't get to without Surf, including all the Water Routes, the Power Plant, the Seafoam Islands, and that one trainer on Route 4. Then I went through and beat everyone in the Pokemon Mansion and Cinnabar Gym. Again, Gengar 1HKOed every trainer Pokemon, but I fought both Zapdos and Articuno and it only 2HKOed the former, making Zapdos the only Pokemon this segment to damage Gengar at all. Just one badge to go, and I'm already at its gym.

I got the last pre-Cerulean Cave PP Up at the Power Plant and used it on Thunderbolt, but still no moveset changes.

Solo Pokémon:
gengar.png
Gengar | Ghost/Poison | Level 80
Moves: Psychic (16 PP), Thunderbolt (21 PP), Body Slam, Confuse Ray
Stats: 252 HP / 170 Atk / 159 Def / 235 Spe / 268 SpC

Explorer of Time

Advocate of Ideals
Years
Pokemon Yellow
Update 8 (Viridian Gym & Route 22)

I 1HKOed everything in the Viridian Gym, then went and 1HKOed everything my Rival had except his Jolteon, which I 2HKOed. He wasted his only two moves on Agility, making Gengar completely untouched for yet another segment.

Solo Pokémon:
gengar.png
Gengar | Ghost/Poison | Level 82
Stats: 259 HP / 175 Atk / 164 Def / 241 Spe / 275 SpC

Explorer of Time

Advocate of Ideals
Years
Pokemon Yellow
Update 9 (Victory Road & Indigo Plateau)

I 1HKOed nearly everything in Victory Road, and every Elite Four Pokemon except for a Victory Road trainer's Chansey and Exeggutor, and Lance's strongest Dragonite. None of these did damage because they used Agility or an X Attack and I was able to just 2HKO them on their next turn. Gengar did miss Lorelei's Jynx once because of the 255/256 accuracy bug, and took a tiny bit of damage from Ice Punch, but 1HKOed it the next turn.

My rival was barely any harder. His Exeggutor, Ninetales, and Jolteon were all 2HKOed instead of 1HKOed. Exeggutor missed with Hypnosis, Jolteon used Agility twice, and Ninetales actually did a tiny bit of damage with Ember.

This was overall a boring "challenge", but at least it was fast: I had a final clear time of 15:04. Part of that is on me for picking a really strong Pokemon in a really easy game for it, but still, I don't plan on doing another Solo Challenge anytime soon.

I'll do one tiny update later tonight for Cerulean Cave.

Solo Pokémon:
gengar.png
Gengar | Ghost/Poison | Level 87
Stats: 276 HP / 187 Atk / 175 Def / 258 Spe / 294 SpC

Attachments

• Yellow Single Challenge.png
    Yellow Single Challenge.png
    4.4 KB · Views: 1
  • Yellow Single Challenge 2.png
    Yellow Single Challenge 2.png
    4.2 KB · Views: 1
Last edited:

Explorer of Time

Advocate of Ideals
Years
Pokemon Yellow
Update 10 (Cerulean Cave)

I got a couple Rare Candies and PP Ups, though the latter doesn't matter anymore. I did one last battle against Mewtwo, which I won with Gengar without using any items. Gengar started off with a Confuse Ray, and then 3HKOed Mewtwo with Body Slam. Mewtwo ended up Paralyzed from the first Body Slam and couldn't attack more than twice, the first of which was wasted on Recover before it took damage, and the second move was a Psychic that did 93 damage to Gengar. This challenge is officially over, and it's time to move on to a different one.

Solo Pokémon:
gengar.png
Gengar | Ghost/Poison | Level 89
Moves: Psychic (16 PP), Thunderbolt (24 PP), Body Slam (21 PP), Confuse Ray
Stats: 282 HP / 192 Atk / 179 Def / 263 Spe / 301 SpC

Years
  • Age 20
  • Seen Dec 23, 2023
Username: Sleepy Baguette
Partner Pokemon: Taillow > Swellow
Challenge: Single
Game: B2W2
Previous Progress: No

Random IVs and I rolled a d6 to decide which starter gets replaced. I rolled Oshawott, so Hugh is stuck with Snivy, unfortunately for him.

Major Battles:
Hugh 1 - Difficulty 0/5

Hugh 2 - Difficulty 0/5

Spamming Super-Effective Peck is pretty trivial.

Cheren - Difficulty 1/5

Thought Cheren's would be harder, considering I struggled against his first Gym Trainer, but then Talia got Wing Attack at Lv 13.

Roxie - Difficulty 2/5

Probably should have been a tad harder, but Talia picked up a poison that activated her Guts.

1703150353660.png

Talia the Taillow
Level 20
Nature: Adamant (+Attack, - Special Attack)
Ability: Guts

Moves:
Wing Attack
Return
Focus Energy
Quck Attack​

Years
  • Age 20
  • Seen Dec 23, 2023
Talia the Swellow - B2W2

Major Battles:

Burgh - Difficulty 1/5

Talia evolved into Swellow during the Gym Challenge, and he had two Pokemon that were 4x weak to Flying. Dwebble was a slight concern, but Talia took it down with a lucky crit.

Colress 1 - Difficulty 3/5

This was the hardest fight up to this point. My initial strategy was to use Magnemite's Thunder Wave to get a Guts boost, but losing out on turns led to three straight losses. I shifted gears, and instead went back to Virbank Complex to pick up a Burn from a Magby. Not only is a Burn better for Guts, it also prevented Talia from being paralyzed. Still, she only survived the fight with 1HP. The only reason Colress isn't higher rated is because he only used two Pokemon.

Elesa - Difficulty 4/5

Elesa was the first battle that made me go out of my way to battle trainers for EXP. Even taking on every trainer in and around Nimbasa wasn't enough; I still had to pick up a Burn to prevent the speed drop from paralysis. If any of her Pokemon resisted Talia's Return, she'd be a 5/5.

Clay - Difficulty 5/5

There were two things that made Clay difficult: Krokorok's Intimidate and Excadrill's Steel Type. Not only did I need to train Talia up to Lv 41, but I also had to utilize Guts, hope Krokorok opens with Torment instead of Crunch, and rely on a crit on Excadrill.

1703166525177.png
Talia the Swellow
Level 41
Nature: Adamant (+Attack, -Special Attack)

Moves:
Aerial Ace
Return
Work Up
Quick Attack​

Years
  • Age 20
  • Seen Dec 23, 2023
Talia the Swellow - B2W2

Major Battles:

Skyla - Difficulty 2/5

Skarmory caused a bit of trouble, but a Work Up and a few Returns finished the battle quickly.

Hugh 3 - Difficulty 1/5

Mostly Return Spam,

Zinzolin 1 - Difficulty 0/5

Unsure I should even record it as a major battle.

Drayden - Difficulty 2/5

Return Spam, but it did come down to the wire.

Zinzolin 2 - Difficulty 0/5

Only took 3 Returns

Marlon - Difficulty 5/5

Had to do some extra training, as well as shuffling Talia's moveset a bit. Jellicent's Cursed Body required me to have multiple Flying moves, and if Carracosta opens with Rock Slide instead of Shell Smash, it's over. Took quite a bit of luck.

1703184639875.png
Talia the Swellow
Level 60
Nature: Adamant (+Attack, -Special Attack)

Moves:
Aerial Ace
Facade
Fly
Quick Attack​

Years
Well, I didn't start my Smoochum run yet. I wanted to do it on a trip I took this weekend, but accidentally copied a wrong file. Not the one, in which I changed my starter to Smoochum, but a regular rom. So, I decided to do a quick Venusaur run instead. I'll finish Smoochum run later.

Username: Janp
Partner Pokemon: Venusaur
Game(s): Fire Red

And it was quite interesting run. Literally my third encounter was shiny Rattata. Now I'll have to do another Rattata/Raticate run.
1000006990.png

Bulbasaur line is a little bit weird in Gen III. It has pretty bad moveset and towards the endgame has barely any favourable match-up. It doesn't learn any good offensive Poison-type moves and Grass-type moves are just straight up bad in Gen III. Grass is missing its own Flamethrower/Surf in this Gen. There is Razor Leaf, that is good early on, but there is nothing to replace it with later on. Yes, there is Giga Drain, but it has only 5 PP, so it's really unusable in Solo run. And the only other moves are Frenzy Plant and Solarbeam. Frenzy Plant has a huge power, but also only 5 PP, so it would be hard to use, so the only good late-game Grass-type move is Solarbeam.

I played most of the game with Razor Leaf/Poison Powder/Leech Seed/Tackle and felt like it was failing behind during the Team Rocket saga. Especially in the battle against my Rival in Saffron City. Which is another chapter to talk about. All of his Pokémon have advantage against Venusaur. It's like he deliberately build his team to counter my Venusaur. I spent some time thinking about my options and figured out my strategy. I had to use X items to get an edge against my Rival and especially his Charizard. I don't like using X items, I usually try to find different strategy, but sometimes it's the only way I can think of.

After taking care of Team Rocket, my goal was to get my new moveset ready. I quickly replaced Tackle with Return. I got to Fuchsia City and acquired Sunny Day in Safari Zone. I also beat Koga and surfed to Cinnabar Island to get Solarbeam. And only after that I returned to Saffron City and challenged Sabrina to battle. Finally, I beat the last Gym in Viridian City and got Earthquake. My new moveset was complete.

With that, I got to E4, trying out my new strategy on Route 22 Rival battle. I had a hard time setting up X items on Venusaur, but only with 2 X Attacks and 2 X Speeds, Venusaur was able to outspeed Rival's whole team. I was ready for the E4. But I was a little bit worried about my PPs. I had 2 Ethers, 1 Max Ether and 1 Elixir, which wasn't much. Because of that, I only used Return and Earthquake in my battle with Lorelei. In battle against Bruno, I was able to set up Sunny Day and just blast throught his team with Solarbeam.

Agatha on the other hand... I had almost nothing to take her down effectively. My best shot was to ser up Sunny Day and slowly beat her Gengar and Haunter with Solarbeam, while also getting rid of Sleep from Hypnosis and heal regularly, because of Haunter's Curse. And with my very last Solarbeam, I was able to beat her.

The final E4 member Lance, was barely an inconvenience. I set up few X Speeds and X Attacks and cut through his team with no problem. And so the only my Rival remained. I once again set up my X Attacks and X Speeds, but his Pidgeot also landed several Sand-Attacks, meaning I had I think -4 in Accuracy. But despite that, I beat his Charizard and the rest of his team.

And with that, I beat the game solo with Venusaur. Here's Hall of Fame:
1000007454.png

And here's my champion:
1000007468.png1000007470.png

SteCisGreendog

Iron Armour Forever
Years
Username: SteCisGreendog
Partner Pokemon: Aron
Challenge: Ultimate
Game(s): Emerald (8/8), FireRed (8/8), Platinum (0/8)
Previous Progress: Yes

Finished Fire Red a few days ago, with 14 Kanto Pokemon short of beating the Pokedex with my solo. Most of them weren't able to be encountered like the fossil Pokemon and can always be found in a later version. I wisely ignored the Trainer Tower in the Sevii Islands and made my end game in Cerulean Cave instead. My next game to solo Aron with will likely be Platinum with the expanded Sinnoh Dex and back to unfamiliarity as I've never beaten Platinum before. I'll start logging it around February.

Years
  • Age 35
  • Online now
Username: Devalue
Partner Pokemon: Glalie
Game(s): Black
Previous Progress: No

Settled on Musharna originally. Realized a huge problem: utter helplessness versus Dark. Learns only Psychic damaging moves by level-up, and Nightmare. Okay, maybe the TMs, then? Waits until just before Gym 4 for Rock Tomb (Desert Resort) or Return/Frustration/Gyro Ball (Nimbasa City) to be able to hit a Dark type. Makes any Purrloin fight before that (such as N) incredibly terrible.

Only picks up a few other "good" TMs before postgame as well: Charge Beam (around Gym 6), Shadow Ball (before Gym 8), and Hidden Power (see 100 Pokemon). Could have started with Secret Power or Swift as an egg move, admittedly. Shrugs. Feels weird to do that. (Missed that as an option until now too.)

Decided on Glalie to mess around with Moody. Always locked Moody behind hidden abilities. Noticed it was an option here. Went for that.

Typically avoids items in-battle, if possible. Will be reticent to use them. Hopefully avoids X items entirely. Definitely bought some when first able, however.

Has not played Unova since the games released, also. Wanted to run through them again. Finally got around to it.

Randomed into the male trainer. Chose Tepig as the starter. Avoids dealing with Emboar later.

Picked between six different Snorunts.
Spoiler: All six Snorunts
Specified Moody for all six.

#1: Docile (neutral nature)
IVs: 29/5/14/17/18/22
Hidden Power: Rock (57)

#2: Sassy (+Special Defense / -Speed)
IVs: 4/13/3/25/24/20
Hidden Power: Bug (32)

#3: Brave (+Attack / -Speed)
IVs: 26/9/26/22/4/24
Hidden Power: Fighting (43)

#4: Bold (+Defense / -Attack)
IVs: 23/9/27/2/4/10
Hidden Power: Flying (48)

#5: Rash (+Special Attack / -Special Defense)
IVs: 27/3/0/26/4/31
Hidden Power: Poison (47)

#6: Naughty (+Attack / -Special Defense)
IVs: 14/2/18/8/0/4
Hidden Power: Fighting (34)

Went back and forth between #1 and #3. Chose the Brave-natured #3 on total IVs (111 to 105). Hated to have #1's bad Attack. Expects to use that a fair bit (basically any non-Ice move). Looked up Hidden Power on its own to be sure it was not postgame. Heard people suggest 115 Pokemon. Likely only gets Hidden Power for maybe N and Ghetsis, in that case.

Named this Snorunt "McMurdo" after an Antarctic research station.

N fight: Starts out rough. Received two Special Attack drops. Took 6 Powder Snows (with one freeze) to take down the Purrloin two levels higher. Dodged a few attacks, at least.

Bianca fight: Was not prepared. Wanted to go to the Pokemon Center to get more Powder Snows (at 10/25). Fished for Special Attack buffs while Double Teaming. Took a lot of damage. Burned 1 Potion.

Cheren fight: Reached +6 Special Attack, but -3 Accuracy. Kind of tells you how that went. Froze Oshawott for several turns, at least. One-shot the Pokemon after it (after missing once). Learned the first physical move (Bite) from the battle.

Cress (Gym 1) fight: Where is the level advantage? Came in at level 12 (versus level 12 Lillipup and level 14 Panpour). Tied the Lillipup's Speed. Knew about Work Up beforehand. Prioritized defeating it over Double Team + Moody boosts.
Recorded some Moody boosts:
  • +2 Defense / -1 Attack
  • +2 Special Attack / -1 Defense
  • +2 Attack / -1 Defense

Took a -1 Special Defense. Healed to 33/37...and then died to a critical Water Gun.

Attempt 2: Same idea.
  • +2 Special Attack / -1 Defense. Uh oh.
  • +2 accuracy / -1 evasion. Went down to 21/37 on a single +1 Bite.
  • +2 accuracy / -1 Special Attack. Not appreciated.
  • Aaand fainted to another critical.

Leveled to 13 on maybe ten level 4-5 wild Pokemon (for half a level). Breaks the speed tie with Lilli--+0 Speed on the level. Siiiiighs. Learned Icy Wind, though. Half credit.

Attempt 3: Led with Icy Wind to break the Speed tie.
  • +2 Attack / -1 Special Defense
  • +2 Special Defense / -1 evasiveness
  • +2 Attack / -1 Special Defense (again)

Continued for maybe two more turns beyond that. Ended the fight without taking damage (1 Work-Up by Lillipup, 2 by Panpour). Appreciates the pretty solid boosts for the gym battle, if nothing else.

Cheren (2) fight: Reached +6 Special Attack in maybe five turns. Not a fan of these surprise fights.

Asks this wild encounter rate to calm down. Moves like two steps sometimes.

Remembers Audino giving good experience, but not this good. Earned a little over 500 experience for one. Guesses maybe one-fifth of that for a normal Pokemon.

Passed on Protect. Opts for Double Team for Moody boost fishing. Faces possible Work Ups, Swords Dances, and so on. Views Double Team as a defense buff for the entire battle.

...Fainted to a gym trainer Herdier after missing six straight Icy Winds (at -2 accuracy for most of that). Died on the inevitable critical. Knew it would cause problems eventually. Burned three Potions too (not very strong, but still). Won on attempt 2 at 48/60 hitpoints and three attacks.

Lenora (Gym 2) battle: Enters with a level advantage this time (23). Chose Oran over Chesto, despite knowing about Hypnosis.
Moody boosts:
  • +2 Speed / -1 evasiveness
  • +2 Special Defense / -1 Attack
  • +2 Special Defense / -1 Speed
  • +2 Accuracy / -1 evasiveness
  • Tumbled to 7/62 health from a single Take Down at -2 Defense (from Leers) on this turn. Almost finished off Herdier from recoil.
  • +2 Attack / -1 Speed
  • +2 Defense / -1 Special Attack
  • Healed to full, then promptly fainted to Retaliate (unsurprisingly).

Should have gone for flinch nonsense. Might have been outsped on that, though (+0 Speed).

Attempt 2. Better boosts this time, please.
  • +2 Special Attack / -1 Defense. Currently at -2 Defense after a Leer.
  • (Dodged Take Down) +2 Speed / -1 accuracy
  • +2 Speed / -1 Special Attack
  • +2 Special Attack / -1 evasiveness
  • Switched to damage. One-shot Herdier. +2 Attack / -1 Special Attack. Come on.
  • Failed to one-shot regardless of that Special Attack drop. Dodged Hypnosis. +2 Attack / -1 evasiveness.
  • Miss and miss. +2 something / -1 evasiveness.
  • Finished with Icy Wind.

...0 damage once again. Notices a distinct feast or famine outcome.

Nearly repeated the gym trainer Herdier kerfuffle on a different Herdier. Missed three straight Icy Winds. Dropped down to -4 accuracy on one turn before getting a +2 to accuracy.

Predicts a death to Bide + accuracy drops at some point. Missed Icy Wind twice on the first turn of a Bide. Could have easily been on turn 2 instead.

Boosted Special Attack on turn 1 on just about every gym trainer in Burgh's gym. Knows what will not happen on Burgh.

Burgh (Gym 3): Noticed an increasing level advantage. Cannot recall how large. May have been level 27-28?
  • Went straight for damage. Was not happy about the turn 1 critical Poison Tail for about one-third of McMurdo's health. +2 Speed / -1 accuracy
  • +2 accuracy / -1 Attack
  • +2 Special Defense / -1 Defense. Sent out Dwebble now. Bad timing on that defense drop.
  • Hovered just above half with one Smack Down. +2 Evasiveness / -1 Special Defense
  • +2 accuracy / -1 Special Attack
  • Ended the turn at 5 hitpoints. +2 Special Attack / -1 evasiveness
  • Lemonade time. +2 Speed / -1 evasiveness. Excellent timing on that Speed.
  • Dwebble down. +2 Special Defense / -1 evasiveness
Effectively won from there. Two-shot Leavanny. Burned through all of Burgh's items.

Passed on Ice Fang during the battle. Would be better than Icy Wind. Means no special moves, however. Dislikes that idea with Moody. Hated to drop Bite or Headbutt. Helps versus Water and Fire types. Wants Double Team as an option. Worst case scenario: Would have replaced it with Ice Beam...eventually (at the Move Reminder as Glalie).

Slapped the Eviolite on McMurdo. Could have used that before the gym. Better late than never.

Bianca (2): Thank you for calling before this 4 on 1. Oh, wait. Level 18. Never mind. Became a little bit irritated from missing a -1 accuracy bit, then getting confused. Investigated those buildings for vague memories of a (Wide?) Lens, not an Eviolite.

Why are there so many trainers with Water types in the desert?

Cheren (3): Um, not in the desert, please. Oh well. Laughed at Pansear's 4 damage Incinerate. Not too tough overall.

Yikes. Fought a Darumaka trainer. Sat at the other end of the spectrum of fire damage. Ate a Fire Punch (+0 Defense) for 50-60 hitpoints (out of 82). Might have fainted without the Eviolite between that and constant sandstorm chip damage.

Obligatory Dress Up image.
Black Snorunt Dress Up.png

N (2) ferris wheel battle: Received possibly the worst Moody luck to date. Dipped to -1 Attack, -3 Special Attack, and -2 Accuracy at one point. Collected a lot of defense boosts, on the positive side.

Elesa (Gym 4) battle: Did not record McMurdo's level here. Guesses level 35.
  • Hoped to take out Emolga. Volt Switched to Zebstrika before the Icy Wind landed. Not too surprised. +2 accuracy / -1 Defense. Not great.
  • +2 Defense / -1 accuracy. The reverse of last round. Sure.
  • Left Zebstrika at 1 hitpoint. +2 Defense / -1 accuracy
  • Guzzled a Lemonade while in red health or near it. +2 Defense / -1 Special Attack
  • +2 Attack / -1 Special Attack. Does not appreciate -2 Special Attack with neither Emolga down yet.
  • Delivered a Crunch critical in back-to-back rounds. One-shot Zebstrika this time. +2 Special Defense / -1 accuracy.
  • Smashed the two Emolgas in a round each.

Okay-ish Moody boosts this time? Appreciated the defense boost for Flame Charge. Fell to -2 accuracy after Zebstrika went down, thankfully.

Cheren (4) battle: Cannot go anywhere without a surprise battle. Risked fainting to a critical and was not punished. Still needed to heal, however.

Weathered the Herdier twins. Presumes them to be rough, particularly for physical Pokemon.

Dislikes Clay. Blames you for Team Plasma getting away. Claims to be "honest". Understands why Lacey went to Blueberry Academy. X's Clay too.

Clay (Gym 5) battle: Enters at level 40. Cannot quite evolve yet (42). Plan: Rack up some boosts on Palpitoad. Knows well enough to fear Excadrill. Cannot really set up on Krokorok (Swagger, Torment).
  • One-shot Krokorok. +2 Defense / -1 Special Defense.
  • Oh...hi, Excadrill. Good timing on that Defense buff. Took 24 damage from Rock Slide and flinched. +2 Special Attack / -1 accuracy. Neh.
  • Dealt only 60% that +2 Icy Wind. Not impressed. Hone Claws for Excadrill. +2 Evasiveness / -1 Speed. So much for that Icy Wind debuff.
  • Dodged Slash and took down Excadrill. Easy street from here.

Only suffered damage from the one Rock Slide. Fairly good Moody boosts.

Stops here on the cusp of evolving. Thoughts on Black so far:
  • Was Gym 1 overleveled, or is that just Snorunt's experience curve making it feel bad? Did not expect to be underleveled in a solo, even early on. Felt bad to farm such low-level Pokemon too.
  • Does not like the wild encounter rate. Needed to increase the minimum number of steps.
  • Feels refreshing to face actually threatening Pokemon on the gym leader.
  • Why are the TMs so bad? Bought Return. Recalls nothing else good. Received better TMs in Sword/Shield (not TRs).
  • Enjoys the sidestory between Bianca and her dad. Resolved that a little too easily, maybe, but even so.
  • Seems pretty good so far, despite some of the negative things said above. Cannot quite pinpoint why. Perhaps the steady progress or paying a lot of attention to Moody?

Spoiler: Stats

Fainted: 4 times (Cress, Cress, Lenora gym trainer, Lenora)

McMurdo the Snorunt
Level: 41
Nature: Brave (+Attack / -Speed)
Hitpoints: 105 (25 EVs)
Attack: 70 (141 EVs)
Defense: 59 (33 EVs)
Special Attack: 57 (21 EVs)
Special Defense: 47 (1 EV)
Speed: 59 (111 EVs)
Moves: Icy Wind, Crunch, Headbutt, and Double Team

Such lopsided effort values. Fought the trainers and some wild Pokemon in the way.

Years
  • Age 35
  • Online now
Black Solo Glalie Challenge Part 2

Picks up after just beating Clay.

Bianca (3): Dropped to -4 Attack between three Moody drops and an Intimidate. Spammed Icy Wind (at -1 Special Attack and Accuracy for a brief time).

Evolved into Glalie just after Bianca. Leaves behind base 50 stats for base 80 stats. Loses the Eviolite for...an Expert Belt? Sure.

Replaced Headbutt with Bulldoze. Helps more against Steel, Rock, and Fire types. Will switch between that and Return.

Scratch that Expert Belt. Holds a Lucky Egg now. Absolutely runs up the score, at least on easier fights. Picked up a handy BrightPowder in Chargestone Cave too.

N (3) at Chargestone Cave: Pretty easy. Took one Metal Claw. Was never in danger.

Upgraded to Ice Beam at Mistraldon City. Fed McMurdo a PP Up for it, followed by a second a few minutes later.

Walked through 8 tiles of grass for an item (4 one way and 4 back). Hit four encounters. Loaded up on Super Repels for a reason.

Remembers picking up Litwick and Elgyem here in the original Black playthrough. Farmed EVs for the first time here (as part of leveling, most likely). Fought a few random encounters for said EVs. Has next to no Special Attack EVs.

Skyla (Gym 6) battle: Entered at 52. Held a 17 level difference over Swanna. One-shot everything (with one miss in there). Sees no reason to record Moody boosts.

Cheren (5) before Twist Mountain: Please stop these ambush battles. Zero issues, though.

Still can take a lot of damage. Went down to 106/172 from full on a Revenge from a Throh. Would have been scary with a critical.

Why do all the trainers in Twist Mountain have a Boldore? Hates the endless Sturdy and halfway decent retaliation (~25% health).

Reached Icirrus's Gym. What boring trainers. Did all of them have Cubchoo and/or Vanilish? (Wait, maybe one Cryogonal too.) Remarks on a same-ish trainer pattern noticed before this. Filled the Pokedex with 85 Pokemon as of gym #7. Fought every trainer around. Throws wave after wave of repeats at you.

Anyways, Brycen (Gym 7): Coming in cold at level 58. Outleveled the gym's ace by 21 levels. Failed to one-shot Beartic with Return. Led to getting Swaggered. Used a Hyper Potion because of hitting itself in confusion 3 of 4 times. Did not want to risk 4 of 5. (Would have won without it. Broke out of it the next turn and smashed Cryogonal through Reflect.)

Finished Dragonspiral Tower. Went to Relic Castle. Found a sage there. Said something like: "Ghetsis told us we should once again test your power." With what? The same Pokemon that lost five minutes ago? Tore through 8 or so people already.

Bianca (4) battle near Icirrus: Cannot completely ignore boosts yet, despite the 20+ level advantage. Missed the one-shot on Stoutland by a little. Lost the speed race after some Speed debuffs. No real issue, however.

Drayden (Gym 8): Level 65. Holds 22 levels over Haxorus. Three Ice Beams, three kills. Suffered zero damage in the entire gym. Could have gotten hit when conserving PP (Work Up by Deino) and on a Speed drop (Dragon Dance by Haxorus). Nope.

Cheren (6): Apparently challenges you way too much, just like in more recent games. Four attacks, four kills.

Oh, an Escavalier. Actually felt threatening, despite being 28 levels below. Only hit for about 40% with an Ice Beam. Took maybe 30% on an Iron Head. Solved the problem with a timely +2 Special Attack boost.

Talked to Juniper with 109 Pokemon seen. False Swipe, Protect, but no Hidden Power. (Later note: Came back at 117 Pokemon. Got it then. Says "100 Pokemon" before giving it to you. Understands the problem now.)

Back on the "still challenging" note, a 44% health Stone Edge from Gigalith (non-critical, +0 Defense).

Elite Four time. Stands at level 71. First up: Shauntal. Lost Moody from Cofagrigus. Defeated it in two Crunches and the rest in one attack each.

Grimsley: Oh, right. Replaced the Lucky Egg with BrightPowder.
  • Not enough damage for a one-shot on Scrafty. +2 accuracy / -1 Speed
  • +2 Attack / -1 Speed
  • Earthquake miss because of BrightPowder. +2 accuracy / -1 Speed
  • Metal Claw miss, maybe because of BrightPowder. +2 Special Attack / -1 Speed

-4 Speed in four turns? What? Please do not do this on Marshal.

Caitlin: Crunch and go.
  • +2 Special Defense / -1 Defense
  • +2 evasivenesss / -1 Special Defense
  • +2 Special Defense / -1 evasiveness
  • +2 Speed / -1 Attack. Come on. Just Bulldozed Gothitelle to stop the heal spam instead of Crunch.
  • Yep. Not a kill on Gothitelle. +2 Attack / -1 Special Attack.
  • +2 Speed / -1 Attack
  • +2 evasiveness / -1 Special Defense
  • +2 Attack / -1 Speed

Not difficult, but slow because of bad stat drops.

Marshal: Time for the difficult one. Taught Return over Bulldoze.

• ...Payback? Okay. +2 Special Defense / -1 evasiveness.
  • +2 Defense / -1 Special Attack. Sighs.
  • Handled a Stone Edge well. +2 Special Attack / -1 Special Defense. Better.
  • +2 Speed / -1 Defense
  • One-shot Conkeldurr. Good. +2 Speed / -1 evasiveness.
  • Faster than Mienshao with these boosts, unsurprisingly.

Done with the Elite Four. Does anyone else find it strange that three people beat the Elite Four in the space of about ten minutes? Never needed the Champion to fight for some time before this.

Could use these 5 Rare Candies. Nah. Dropped Crunch and Return for Shadow Ball and Bulldoze. Wants to keep Moody versus Ghetsis.

N, paraphrased: "Hold on. Needs to fix your Pokemon's booboos. ...Okay, there. Will now seize the future by defeating you!"

N (final): Level 73.
  • Boo turn 1 switch in. +2 Speed / -1 evasiveness.
  • One Ice Beam for Zekrom. +2 Defense / -1 Speed
  • Baited by Zoroark. +2 Speed / -1 Special Defense.
  • +2 Defense / -1 Attack
  • +2 accuracy / -1 Speed
  • +2 Attack / -1 Speed
  • +2 Speed / -1 Special Defense
  • Safety Hyper Potion. Not a great time in front of Vanilluxe with Flash Cannon at -2 Special Defense. Net hitpoint gain: 2. +2 Special Defense / -1 Special Attack. Oh, thank you.
  • Hyper Potion #2. +2 Defense / -1 accuracy.
  • Took a Special Defense drop on the Flash Cannon. +2 Attack / -1 Speed.
(Pause: Total stat changes: +3 Attack, +6 Defense, -1 Special Attack, -1 Special Defense, +2 Speed, -1 evasiveness, +1 accuracy.)
  • +2 Speed / -1 Special Defense
  • ...Uh. Is +3 Attack enough? Probably faints from full to Klinklang's Flash Cannon at -2 Special Defense. +3 Bulldoze, then. ...Yes, enough.

(Later edit: 64.8 - 77.3% on Klinklang's Flash Cannon at -2 Special Defense, if Modest nature. Overestimated its Special Attack. Bad, but not a one-shot unless critical. Easily finished it with a 154 - 182.2% +3 Bulldoze. Guaranteed at +2 attack and a 5/8 chance at just +1 Attack.)

Ghetsis: Still level 73. Stupid Reshiram at the front. Heals you to full, at least.
  • Switch in. Toxic miss. Nice. +2 evasiveness / -1 accuracy.
  • Toxic miss again. +2 evasiveness / -1 Attack.
  • +2 Defense / -1 accuracy. Uh oh.
  • +2 Attack / -1 evasiveness.
  • +2 Speed / -1 evasiveness.
  • Did not miss so far. One-shot Hydreigon. +2 evasiveness / -1 Defense.
  • Bisharp down. +2 Attack / -1 accuracy. Stop it.
  • +2 Defense / -1 Attack
  • +2 accuracy / -1 Special Defense. Thank goodness.
  • Finally took damage. +2 Special Attack / -1 Special Defense.
  • +2 Special Defense / -1 Attack

And done. Somehow never missed, despite being at -3 accuracy for a little while.

Completed the game in 14:22.
Spoiler: Images

(Dalton because of John Dalton, a meteorologist.)

Pokemon Black Glalie Solo Victory.png
Pokemon Black Glalie Solo Victory 2.png

Thoughts on the challenge: Okay. Stayed interesting by watching Moody do its thing. Cared about those stat changes a lot in the first half. Largely ignored them after Clay and through Drayden. Cared once again towards the end. Was in danger of critical hit one-shots.

Spoiler: Final Stats

Fainted: 4 times (Cress, Cress, Lenora gym trainer, Lenora)

McMurdo the Glalie
Level: 74
Nature: Brave (+Attack / -Speed)
Hitpoints: 228 (37 EVs)
Attack: 180 (186 EVs)
Defense: 151 (51 EVs)
Special Attack: 148 (48 EVs)
Special Defense: 127 (7 EV)
Speed: 156 (181 EVs)
Moves: Ice Beam, Shadow Ball, Double Team, and Bulldoze

Adds up to 510 EVs. Favors physical solos so hard in this game, at least in terms of effort values.

Years
A short technical note at the start of the post: I'm writing this on the last possible date, because I couldn't find a time to write this earlier. And I'm currently on a train travelling across the Central Europe for work, so I don't have a luxury of putting my Hall of Fame screen here. I'll edit it in later. But without further ado... I beat my Smoochum solo run.

It was not as hard as I expected. Smoochum's moveset is pretty straightforward and there wasn't much room for strategy. The most difficult thing about Smoochum is its baby stats. I had to rely on X items boosts more than I liked. Pretty much for all major battles since the moment I got them. I usually leveled up defenses a little bit, and then speed and special attack to sweep the whole teams. But before that, I had to use different strategy. Luckily, Smoochum learns Sweet Kiss early on, so I could use that to give me a small advantage against Brock. Misty was quite annoying, because her Pokémon were resistant to most of my attacks. I kept Lick just for her and slowly, but surely beat her. Lt. Surge was pretty okay, but I was a little bit overleveled for him. Not that it helped, because his Pokémon still hurt my Smoochum pretty hard. After that, I finally had a chance to upgrade Smoochum's moveset and ended up with: Ice Beam, Psychic, Shadow Ball and Sing. I was considering Double Team or Attract, but Sing felt like a more fitting choice. And that was my moveset until the end of the game. I easily beat Erika, but had a hard time with Sabrina. I had to skip her until almost the end, because despite my resistance to her attack, I couldn't really set up my defenses against her. Koga was easy, I had a nice advantage against him and even Blaine was pretty easy. I was afraid of his fast Fire-types, but at that time I was once again pretty overleveled and managed to set up my speed and attack to sweep him. So many healing was used in this battle. The E4 and the Rival battles were straightforward. I had enough healing and X items to get enough of a boost to beat them all. I was lucky enough to land Sing at the start of each battle and set up a little bit to be able to sweep them.

Overall, it was fun run, but I feel like I relied way too much on boosting Smoochum with X items.

Hall of Fame screen:
Will be added here later

The one and only Smoochum:
WIll be added here later

Back