• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

The State of Rom Hacking

Status
Not open for further replies.
    Years
    • Seen Nov 4, 2017
    A few years ago I posted "The State Of Rom Hacking". Fast forward years later and it stands that everything I stated was correct. The Rom Hacking Community is Dead.
    Elitist refused to give actual support to newcomers of the community and as a resulted, we have here what is now called "Fan Games"(Lol talk about a downgraded title). While following the fall of the hack community, I also noticed and picked up on new knowledge that wasn't shared in part 1; here it is-

If A New Hack Doesn't Fit The "Mold" Elitist Have Set, Then It Receives No Recommendation From Them- Seriously, all they support are hacks that are very similar to the games that are actually being hacked. If it doesn't feel like Fire Red, chances are Elitist will complain and want something that feels generic and pretty boring to be honest (Haven't you realized that even newer hacks in the showcase look Exactly like Fire Red?) That's just the game play side of things. When it comes to story telling, let's be honest, the veteran hackers on this site are absolutely terrible. They can't write an original story to save their lives (With a small exception to the Ruby Destiny Series), so when a creative writer comes along that does something out of the ordinary from actual Pokemon games, they don't like it. It bothers them and they find every way to judge the hack in full.

Prime Examples of the paragraph above are Mega Power, Resolute, and to a much lesser extent early on, Glazed (There are much more, but I won't mention them)- Let's address Glazed first and why I placed it here. While yes it got nominated for hack of the year (Which was very sad last year. One hack basically competed with itself), it never got any comments or full blown attention from hackers who have been here long and decide "which are destined for greatness, and which are not". The fans are what decided Glazed placement here, not the elitist.

Mega Power/Resolute are my biggest examples because it receives No Attention from Elitist(Being moved to the showcase doesn't mean Veterans like your hack)- Why? Because it looks and feels different, advanced from the typical Emerald game. The characters, the story, all of it strays far away from the average Pokemon games and in doing so makes Veterans look away from it. Elitist dislike the palette colors of the hack and thus dismiss it regardless how much Players actually enjoy both titles.

While no longer here on Pokecommunity (Which was a smart move to leave), Dark Rising is another title that could belong here in this list as well- Elitist mostly hated it not because of the glitches and such, but because it didn't fit the mold. At all. They called the game terrible, yet, it was the most viewed/downloaded hack available on the community other than Light Platinum, Ruby Destiny, and Snakewood (Although not being on the site in years, it Still has more page views than 90% of the hacks here). The amount of visitors and traffic the hack was bringing in for the Rom hacking community should have been acknowledged by vets, but instead, they poured out their dislike for it despite hundreds of Players saying how much they loved it (If I dare say, the fall of the hacking community's popular decreased rapidly after the Dark Rising series left). The creator of the series made their own website and recently shared their statistics online. The site is receiving over 8 thousands views in a Week, that's more than the "top" hacks here receive in a Month. How could the hack be considered Terrible if it's being played that many times and has a bigger following than every hack on the community? I would love to see one of these elitist remove their hack off of this site and see how popular it really is. It would fail.

Next, I would like to address the Hack of the Year for 2016- Pokemon Gaia (Made by someone who is considered a veteran on this site) won by basically competing with itself and it really showed just how much Rom Hacking has declined. Gaia was Boring and it feels like a basic Fire Red with enhancements, but as I stated previously, that's what the Veterans of this community love and that's why it's in the position that it's in now. Doing something new would have you looked down on here. Look at the recent additions to the showcase, they all have the same Fire Red overworlds and slightly enhanced tiles.

While everything I said in this addition of "The State Of Rom Hacking" is true, it won't matter in the end. A Mod will delete this and pretend it was never posted. It also doesn't matter because the Rom Hacking Community Is Dead. There are rarely any new hacks being posted and the small bits of attention Pokemon Rom hacking was receiving for a while have completely died down. No one cares for it anymore.
    "Fan Games" are in the Grave.

This isn't the fan game section, and not one thing you've said is true. Hacking has just slowed down really, its not really dead.

Vets don't hate on every game that tries something different or simply not acknowledge it. For example there is Pokemon Normal Version which is a very unique hack. Veterans support hacks they like, just like normal person. Who would go recommend a game they didn't fully enjoy themselves. If a friend recommend me a game after completely hating on it and telling me everything bad about it, i definitely still wouldn't pick it up. Not only that but, who cares what veterans think? Sure they may know more about hacking but that doesn't make them right. The games 1158 i believe i the name, aren't bad at all.

Why did Glazed need attention fro hackers? Veterans don't decide if a hack is destined for greatness. There is no such thing. All of that depends on how the creator. Just because Veterans didn't say anything about the hack doesn't mean it's going to fail and fade away.

Story does not make hackers look away from it, from what i've seen stories really get people into hacks now of days. I've even seen people complain about mediocre stories, or stop with the 10 year old stories, and bring something new to the table. Unique and different stories is approved here, hacking is creativity, not follow the leader.

Now about this:
    While no longer here on Pokecommunity (Which was a smart move to leave), Dark Rising is another title that could belong here in this list as well- Elitist mostly hated it not because of the glitches and such, but because it didn't fit the mold. At all. They called the game terrible, yet, it was the most viewed/downloaded hack available on the community other than Light Platinum, Ruby Destiny, and Snakewood (Although not being on the site in years, it Still has more page views than 90% of the hacks here). The amount of visitors and traffic the hack was bringing in for the Rom hacking community should have been acknowledged by vets, but instead, they poured out their dislike for it despite hundreds of Players saying how much they loved it (If I dare say, the fall of the hacking community's popular decreased rapidly after the Dark Rising series left). The creator of the series made their own website and recently shared their statistics online. The site is receiving over 8 thousands views in a Week, that's more than the "top" hacks here receive in a Month. How could the hack be considered Terrible if it's being played that many times and has a bigger following than every hack on the community? I would love to see one of these elitist remove their hack off of this site and see how popular it really is. It would fail.

Youtube Youtube Youtube Youtube, not only that but the graphics and 2 regions and characters from other main Pokemon games are a Pull Factor i think the word is. Honestly from TyranitarTube to SacredFire, every Pokemon Channel on Youtube with the exception of Mariland has done Glazed, Dark Rising i believe and definitely Light Platinum. These are REALLY BIG Youtube channels that play these hack, and they recommend them right off the bat. Of course it would have so many downloads. Just watch once another small hack is played by one of the big Pokemon Youtubers, the view count and download count will greatly increase.

About the HOTY 2016. Gaia was no where near done, and it had great competition, you are completely disregarding that Red's Story is a pretty good game, definitely the same for Eclipse. There WAS competition. There was no obvious win. Keep in mind that was a Beta of Gaia, i think you expected too much out of an incomplete game. If they like using fire red graphics so be it. Good hacks don't need fire red graphics.

Hack showcase? You mean the Slideshow Showcase? They are only enhancements to already made games.

If you mean Hack Studio, I think they picked fire red tiles because of what their game is based on. It felt as if Fire Red Tiles fits with the Pokemon Manga Adaptations, same with Ash Gray, and Cloud White literally takes place in Kanto. Not everyone is the best t inserting new tiles or finding some that look great. I think its just because FR Tiles just look really nice.

Have you been around Rom Hacking lately? There are a lot of unique ones, there's diversity. I really liked the Seasonal Hacks Joexv did. Honestly it feels as if everything you said here is completely wrong.

Years
    I came here from vizzed.com. Some of the rom hacks you "elitist" consider horrible hacks are scored very high on the site.
    To be fair, there are other reasons why people might play a hack other than its either fitting arbitrary standards of elitists, or being 'fun' to certain people (and that some people like something, though others don't, would obviously not serve to explain why they like it). As mentioned, they might play it for nonetheless poor reasons, such as that somebody else played it, or shiny but meaningless graphics, although if they have to play them for poor reasons, they are probably poor games. You can't derive from such 'elitists' disliking it that it's instead in some particular other category, especially as most of these 'elitists' are mostly just about artificial and convoluted means to make a hack look exciting, or showy and happening, frequently rather than actually improving it in any manner. If you conceded that such people make hacks 'very good,' based on their views of such things, however, it would seem odd to polemicise against them at length.

The majority of people who play these rom hacks are casual players just looking for something to play. Rom hacking does not entirely revolve around you "experts". Its almost like these "expert rom hackers" all hang out somewhere in a private chatroom or something and discuss/bash on new/casual hacks.
    This seems valid, generally speaking these people try to make it seem as though the barrier for basic acceptance of works is higher than it actually is for all hacks, and requires a significant amount of time spent on some artificial idea of 'craft' that is merely theirs rather than that of most hacks with a more universal appeal, as free games, while obviously as in most fields the things which were actually popular were generally known for their being slightly loose and vulgar, and frequently quite populist, rather than their dedication to some form of 'craft.' In addition, ROM Hacks were a field quite foreign to such things, which seemed lifted from elsewhere arbitarily to give it a veil of respectability, in a field where by itself some form of vision should be sufficient.

Is it because its the truth and even the moderators are apart of this "elitist wave" that's taken over the community?
    They need some mode of apparent legitimacy, so in that sense it shouldn't be a surprise.

You want to know why im saying this? Because I was fully ready to begin my own rom hack. But now, after seeing the type of "community" this is, I have no interest anymore.
    If you meant that you weren't posting it here, then fine, but you could make it if you wished, ROM Hacking has no inherent ties to such a community, and nor do ROM Hacks.

Maybe you take this stuff too seriously? Rom hacking wont get you anymore. As I said, once you sign off all your hacking websites, your nobody again. Your username does not bring you fame.
    This is generally a valid point, namely that some form of artificial community ordering in ROM Hacking makes little sense, as it rather seems something fairly detached from the informal hierarchy of elsewhere, or in brief that such things are made up. However, obviously ROM Hacks like Quartz are better-known than some of the people that worked on the main games, with Quartz of course generally emphasising admittedly minor tweaks to the game rather than its author, such that like some people from the main series the author's username might be obscured. There isn't anything inherent to such, though. Obviously, Pokémon the main series belongs to a company, rather than to many of the people who produce the games, so outside of that or by themselves they are basically just occasionally editing someone else's game anyway, and esteemed lower than that because how the game reflects their intentions is generally obscure.

In that sense, ROM Hacks might tend to emphasise their author more than other forms, although this might depend on how they make the hack, and it might just reflect for instance the mores of the PC Community or the ROM Hacking community, etc., instead of this.

If A New Hack Doesn't Fit The "Mold" Elitist Have Set
    To be fair, PC in general was mostly in favour of the newer games, and in that sense if they actually supported FR as some sort of model, this would be fairly controversial. As such, you're more likely to see regions from more recent games - D/P is quite popular, for instance for openings - imported into earlier games, despite those in fact having been designed elsewhere, and in general the mores of such things would have to be shown somehow if it were to somehow fit into the overall mold of PC.

Gaia was Boring and it feels like a basic Fire Red with enhancements, but as I stated previously, that's what the Veterans of this community love and that's why it's in the position that it's in now. Doing something new would have you looked down on here.
    This is nicely stated. Anyway, the world's a prison. I think it's generally accepted by now that Gaia is mostly there due to working with PC mores, in some form or other, rather than standing out from the others. It's a popular vote, it's not a person's judgement of quality. As such, obviously if you dislike these mores, you'd probably not be expecting that much from Gaia, but that would be mostly tautological, and if you wanted to find good hacks you might want to look elsewhere or at the more obscure, but fundamentally atypical ones.

The Rom Hacking Community is Dead.
    To be fair, the series isn't nearly as popular as it was, either, and ROM Hacking generally started gaining popularity when the series was shifting out of focus. As such, you might expect it to behave as such. Nonetheless, you are correct that the ROM Hacking community by itself is, if not dead, by now mostly quite undirected, and most hacks have been fairly similar for a while, without anybody seeming interested in any particular aspect of ROM Hacks any more. The sense of quirkiness or otherwise has long since been avoided. Nonetheless, the ROM Hacking community is not, of course, ROM Hacks, and in any case faintly-modified versions of previous Pokemon games are so far from a dying format that Sun and Moon just got announced a couple of days ago. By itself, this decline of the community gives no reason why you couldn't make a hack that would exceed most of that by default.

Years
    • Seen Nov 20, 2016
    inFamousFox/JunePhoenixFire: I take it that you needed to label this as "Discussion" because there was no "Rant" tag. Because this clearly not a discussion. It is apparent that you created your opinion of the rom hacking community years ago, and nothing anyone says will change your mind. In response to your first post, you got back 10 or 15 posts, the majority of which contained arguments to refute what you said. Two years later, you come back here, not to discuss anything, but to (quite baselessly) decree yourself correct. If the pattern continues, you'll continue to cover your ears, ignoring anything contrary to what you declared, then come back here in 2018 with "proof" that everyone else was wrong.

It really doesn't seem that there is any hope of convincing the OP, so I leave this post here for any newbie who reads these rants and would otherwise take them at face value. Despite being someone who joined after the community was "taken over by nothing but elitist jerks," I have a very difficult time identifying with the "arguments" made.
    I have a very important question to the people who consider themselves "veteran/expert" rom hackers; where are YOUR hacks? These serious rom hackers who create all of these tools, all of these enhancements, where are your HACKS? Players dont cares that you're working on a tool for pokemon to follow you outside of battle. Players dont cares that fairy types are added to the Rom or you added new moves. People just want to play Pokemon hacks. Its that simple. I dont understand how people who have so much knowledge of rom hacking can judge others who have completed hacks or have just fun, casual hacks? Is it because you experts cant be original? Heres a question; how come all of the hacks you veteran rom hackers like so much are simply remakes or small modifications of the real gba/ds games? Im speaking on behalf of a lot of ppl (Or the casuals, you know, the people who play rom hacks the most?); when we play a rom hack, we want something original. Something unique. I dont want to play fire red with the only difference is a physical/special split. I dont want to play a hack with the same exact story as fire red only with graphical enhancements.
    Really? People don't care about the fairy type/added moves? They're almost unanimously requested. The physical/special split is all but a requirement nowadays.
    A few of these hacks you experts feel are so great? Heres something my friend Hound of Justice posted:
    ""Cobalt by spherical, a good hack with good humor graphics are almost unchanged some nice scripts and bugs here and there
    With the biggest problem being not able to save
    Nothing special no wonder it didnt got lots of attention and now the hack will be overhauled for the next beta which will take who knows how much time

YetAnotherFRHack by doesnt, just a harder firered with stat changes, some next gen pokemon, move changes this was done like in 50 other hacks
    Same person was a judge in the hoty and gave low scores to hacks he only can only dream of making xD
    His hack is sitting in the most forgotten section of hacks with a few followers here and there
    Again nothing special""
    and now we have Platinum Red & Blue...again, solid looking hack, but once again, remake. Darkviolet? Great hack...but its a remake...Canceled (Like most "superior" hacks).
    I liked YAFRH because it wasn't horrendously buggy and was generally a balanced game. It didn't have ridiculous things like being able to catch a Drought Vulpix at the beginning of the game. You really think Doesn't wouldn't be able to make a hack like Dark Rising? Have you considered a simpler explanation - that he doesn't want to?
    This post is not to bash anyone or anything, believe me. Mods do not delete this post. The hacks posted above are all very good. I just want to discuss the state of rom hacking. You people who feel you're so superior in rom hacking are actually destroying and discouraging players to want to try to create a rom hack of their own. Why cant hacks be fun anymore? Why must all hacks have to live up to some standard you veterans created? Most of you always look down upon or speak negative of people who just want to make a hack, not to create something of great, superb, value. Is it because you want rom hacking to be accepted by an audience it's not attended for? Im sorry; newsflash; rom hacking, no matter how hard you experts try to improve it, will never be known outside of a small, general audience. Once you people sign off of all your rom hacking community website accounts, no one will know, you'll be back to being an ordinary regular person. You created an amazing tool for people to rom hack and now you feel superior enough to look down at hacks that either dont use your tool or dont want to hack to a higher degree? How come you veterans never finish your hacks? Are casual players really suppose to wait years upon years to finally play what you have to offer only for it to be canceled within a year or so which then leads you "experts" to work on something new? We suppose to get our hopes up again? By the time your hack is complete, you'll be too old to be doing this. Too many responsibilities. I'd rather play a hack thats fun with glitches that can be overlooked rather than play something flawless that required more than 7 years to be completed. No one has time to wait for a rom hack like that.
    Gotcha. Quantity>Quality. Guess that's your opinion, which I guess cannot be changed. I prefer a game like Gaia, that despite not being "complete," has a focus on quality and (imo) is more enjoyable to play than those "fun" games people on vizzed like.
    I came here from vizzed.com. Some of the rom hacks you "elitist" consider horrible hacks are scored very high on the site. Why? Because they are fun and dont try to be something more than what is is; A rom hack. Can I another question? Are we casual rom hacking players stupid or inferior because we enjoy hacks you veterans consider garbage? These are serious questions I and a lot others wish to know. I can assure myself lurkers who never post on a thread will be sure to reply to me ONLY IF someone they look up too reply. (Why do you do that?) Will the moderators delete this post? Probably. I am not insulting anyone. Is it because its the truth and even the moderators are apart of this "elitist wave" that's taken over the community? Again, probably. Let me guess, you veterans are helping out the community by creating tools that can be used for future rom hackers? That may be true, but your attitude towards new or casual hackers is hurting the growth of the community more. You cannot have a future without growth.
    See, when you say this, it sounds like by "veterans" you mean people who do research. Which is ridiculous. These "elitists" are more helpful than anyone in the hacking community. If anything, they are more helpful nowadays than they were before. The standard is now open-source, and people are always willing to explain things when I ask them. Not to mention the fact that without them, the "fun" hacks and their features wouldn't even exist to begin with.
    You want to know why im saying this? Because I was fully ready to begin my own rom hack. But now, after seeing the type of "community" this is, I have no interest anymore. I will simply be judged if its not up to the standard thats been set. Fun hacks cant exist anymore in the eyes of the veterans. Maybe you take this stuff too seriously? Rom hacking wont get you anymore. As I said, once you sign off all your hacking websites, your nobody again. Your username does not bring you fame. Goodbye pokecommunity. I've spent a about 5 months studying the "community" aspect of this place. Its not worth it. Im not the only one who feels this way.
    Okay. See, this is really confusing. It is as if you're telling the veterans that no one cares about/agrees with their opinion…while simultaneously saying you didn't want to make a hack because of their opinion?
    A few years ago I posted "The State Of Rom Hacking". Fast forward years later and it stands that everything I stated was correct. The Rom Hacking Community is Dead.
    Elitist refused to give actual support to newcomers of the community and as a resulted, we have here what is now called "Fan Games"(Lol talk about a downgraded title). While following the fall of the hack community, I also noticed and picked up on new knowledge that wasn't shared in part 1; here it is-
    Yeahhh, those awful elitists who are unwilling to help newcomers. *looks in mirror* Oh wait… Also, I didn't realize the community was dead.
    Spoiler:
    Okay, so. I really don't want to be rude about these hacks, but I feel I must tell you that they are not critical of these hacks out of jealously/elitism. I know it isn't, because even as a non-veteran, I'm pretty sure I have the same types of issues with them. These are not related to Glazed, as I wasn't even aware that elitists hated on it so much? Anyways…
    Absurd level curves.
    Not even being surprised by game breaking bugs.
    Lack of gameplay balance.
    Horribly broken English.
    In the case of Mega Power, lazy "Mega Evolutions."
    You really think that "number of views" is a measure of quality?
    Next, I would like to address the Hack of the Year for 2016- Pokemon Gaia (Made by someone who is considered a veteran on this site) won by basically competing with itself and it really showed just how much Rom Hacking has declined. Gaia was Boring and it feels like a basic Fire Red with enhancements, but as I stated previously, that's what the Veterans of this community love and that's why it's in the position that it's in now. Doing something new would have you looked down on here. Look at the recent additions to the showcase, they all have the same Fire Red overworlds and slightly enhanced tiles.
    By "boring," do you mean a balanced game with advanced features that is not full of bugs? Looking at your posts, it doesn't seem that you're worried about the rom hacking community, or even that you take issue with "elitists." It actually looks more like you have something against DoesntKnowHowToPlay and Spherical Ice.
    While everything I said in this addition of "The State Of Rom Hacking" is true, it won't matter in the end. A Mod will delete this and pretend it was never posted. It also doesn't matter because the Rom Hacking Community Is Dead. There are rarely any new hacks being posted and the small bits of attention Pokemon Rom hacking was receiving for a while have completely died down. No one cares for it anymore.
    "Fan Games" are in the Grave.
    Pretty easy to declare yourself right when you won't reply to anyone else's refutations. That doesn't make what you said true. To newbies who read this thread: try out hacking for yourself. Read tutorials/research and learn about ROMs. Ask others for help in the beginner's lounge when you get stuck. I'm pretty sure that 99% of you will find the charges made in this thread + the doom and gloom are nonsense.

Years
    People can discuss something without the OP having to concede that they can change his opinions just by contradicting them. His post isn't too different to most longer posts on here on how people ROM Hack, they were meant to give an idea and let others discuss it, not initiate a personal struggle of tooth and claw. He wasn't initiating a Pokemon battle, and it seems a bit demanding to require that he respond to every poster on a forum that defends it after he has criticised it, before being able to post his views and how they have changed later on or not (his concern about the mods and such, though, as this thread is still here, might be unfounded here, and seems a bit like it by itself may not be entirely new). Perhaps they should reply to you, however, as an adviser and representative of this board to newer members. It is somewhat like a discussion, though, as he generally seems to make up for the tone with positive remarks on most ROM Hacks. You doubt that they may take that much issue with DoesntKnowHowToPlay for elitism in ROM Hacking of the games, though.

Micael Alighieri

Helix Boo / Lord Kaktus, ex-member from Whack a Ha
    Years
    • Seen May 24, 2017
    The thing is that everyone has got an opinion, you'll find gentle people commenting about your work, however, sometimes you'll find more toxic individuals. Just beware of ad hominems, not having a rom hack doesn't disable someone to comment and review other people's work (it's like if someone says a cube has six sides and you tell him he's not a mathematician, so he can't say anything about the topic). In fact, it's necessary a minimal level of knowledge to make rom bases, tutorials and even more to develop tools.

For that reason, the solution is not simply discrediting someone, but analyzing what they said and reach to conclusions depending of how right they are, what are your preferences and what kind of material do you want to show to others (take in account that what you like isn't fully the same thing as what do you want to show). Trust me, this is the only real and mature way to advance and become better over the time.

Blah

Free supporter
    Years
    Hey, it's the elitist who hates bad hacks, doesn't have a completed hack, gave many hacks low grades in the judging round to not be mainstream, and does nothing but create features, and bash noobs on his private chatroom here. I almost fit all your criteria there, now I just needed a FireRed remake and I'll be good to go!

I think you misunderstand what we're doing for the community. By creating features and pushing hackers to produce quality work, we improve the play experience for our fanbases/playerbases. When fans get inspired to make hacks of their own, that's when our community grows. I think almost 95% of us have come into ROM hacking from playing someone else's hack.

I played ShinyGold and decided ROM hacking was something cool that I could get into at the time. Today, I find myself finding a lot more joys in developing the engine and doing research for the engine than making a game. You may not see the appeal in this as a player, or as less experienced Hacker, but imo this is more enjoyable than actually making the game. To each their own.

That said, you won't ever find a post of me posting in someone else's thread calling their hack crappy. There are a lot of hacks in the progressing hacks section which are more than subpar compared to the likes of something like Pokemon Gaia. I find myself mostly helping a lot of people with their hacks, from personal requests, to informational help and I write many tutorials for these people to improve their hacks. I could just stop it all and make my own hack, I think that I could make one that's actually quite good in that regard. That's not really a beneficial use of my expertise now is it? I could just make a hack, go silent, quit, not help anyone with anything, not write tutorials and be a closed box hacker leaving my fellow hackers out to starve on stale research. It's a 5% of us who makes these features, patches and tutorials who make it easier for others to get into the hacking scene and make a hack that's overall better than what it would be making it from scratch.

Also I don't know where you, and all these other people are coming form calling us elitists. I literally ONLY contribute to this community's knowledge base, helping certain active hacks and helping people in the beginner's lounge. People get this misunderstanding that I'm out to bash every noob out there, and that I don't care for shitty hackers ect. That's not even true, I just get annoyed when people spam me (literally spam me like I'm some simple questions bot). If I bashed everyone who wasn't as good at hacking as I was, I'd have a pretty long list of enemies. I'm totally down to help anyone learn how to do something, but this is the kind of post I really hate. You basically just call me, and others, elitists who contribute nothing to the player base. I'm not really sure what I've done to deserve that kind of rude bashing when I'm just trying to help people out.

Anyways, if you decide to post your hack, I'll be rooting for your success. My suggestion is to not be intimidated, and utilize the beginner's lounge well. Oh, and don't go calling people who could be potential help to you elitist jerks.

Sincerely,

Your local "elitist" FBI

Deokishisu

Mr. Magius
    Years
    Do lurkers and people who only play hacks really think that they're an important part of the community? Without the actual hackers and the "elitists" who literally do all the work for the rest of us, you wouldn't have hacks to play. It would still be 2006 where we had MAYBE a handful of hacks that were playable, and we wouldn't have any of the myriad of features that are now routinely implemented with no effort required by the hacker whatsoever. Without the top half of hackers in this community, the bottom half wouldn't exist to churn out the Dark Risings and the other garbage that the kiddies flock to.

It is easier than ever to churn out something that can be played and the average quality of hacks has fallen as a result. For those of us who have been here a while, or the adults among the community, we know when a hack is bad. And we're not sorry that we flock together to vent about the worst hacks that have substantial followings by children away from the eyes of PC. It's not vitriol. It's not blind bashing or being haters. We have legitimate reasoning and criteria with which to judge a bad hack, but there are so many fanboys and fangirls that enjoy it that we don't bring it up often in the wider community so as to not spoil their fun. Our criticisms, in my opinion, are criticisms of the Pokemon fanbase in general. To me, at least, it seems that Game Freak could vomit into a game card and the fans would eat it up. Just like it seems that the bottom rung of hackers are vomiting into Advance Map and kids are eating it up.

No one's work should be immune to legitimate criticism, and I find it very surprising that anyone could honestly imply that the consumers are the most important part of this community. Newsflash: we don't hack for you. We don't hack for recognition or fame or fans. We hack for us and are proud enough of what we do to make it available so that it can be critiqued and judged by the wider community in the hopes that we can use their feedback to improve.

If people who only play hacks want to actually contribute and make a difference in the community, step up and really and thoroughly test the hacks that you enjoy and brutally critique them in the posts in the threads. Point out every bug and every text error. Make the hacker aware of weird pacing, questionable design decisions, things that you felt just weren't quite right. Tell them the things that made you come to love the hack, as well as the things that you didn't like. That is how you contribute when you have nothing else to offer. And for the love of Arceus, stop going into threads posting "u shuld add mega evolutions, more rivals, all the pokemans, and this randumb idea that is obviously horrible to any 1 with eyes but i cam up with it so u shuld do it". There is nothing more aggravating for hackers than posts that amount to, "tried it, great game". Or posts with ridiculous or impossible requests or suggestions. We want to improve: help us with legitimate criticism and you'll get better hacks.

EDIT: I also find it hilarious that the OP (in his new account) thinks that the hacks that he's cited are well written and ignored because they're "different". No, they're ignored because they're bad and poorly written. The plot is all over the place in those hacks, doesn't make sense, many of them are edgy just to be edgy, and come across as weird crossover Pokemon fanfiction written by a thirteen year old. A hack that has a variation of the standard Pokemon plotline isn't automatically good, just as a hack that has a totally different storyline isn't automatically bad. But the bottom parts of the hacking community are notoriously bad writers, and it's easier for them to create a passable plot using the standard Pokemon plotline as a base instead of trying to make something up. Just because a hack has fans doesn't mean that it's a good hack. Argumentum ad populum much? Darkrisinggirl in particular left because she couldn't handle legitimate criticism of her "series" and isolated herself so that she would only receive praise and would have the ability to silence those who disagreed with her.

Last edited:

GoGoJJTech

(☞゚ヮ゚)☞ http://GoGoJJTech.com ☜(゚ヮ゚☜)
    Years
    As the creator or Platinum Red & Blue, some tools, and a majority of automated features, I don't see where you're coming from. Am I the bad guy or the good one? Or neither? I'm both helping other hackers by sharing my knowledge and giving the players their entertainment.

Honestly, I'm confused.. >.<

Years
    • Seen Mar 29, 2024
    JunePhoenixFire said:
    I would argue that the state of Gen 1 & 2 hacking has greatly accelerated in that past several years. I'm not as in tune with Gen 3+ ROM hacking, which is more popular on this site. However, I am confident in asserting that Pokemon ROM hacking is not dying.

Years
    Do lurkers and people who only play hacks really think that they're an important part of the community?
    To me, at least, it seems that Game Freak could vomit into a game card and the fans would eat it up. Just like it seems that the bottom rung of hackers are vomiting into Advance Map and kids are eating it up.
    And for the love of Arceus, stop going into threads posting "u shuld add mega evolutions, more rivals, all the pokemans, and this randumb idea that is obviously horrible to any 1 with eyes but i cam up with it so u shuld do it".

I'd give you hundred likes for this post. You wrote exactly what I feel about the subject, I agree with everything you said, especially with the sentences I quoted.

Well, what should be said has already been said. I'll just add that throughout my hacking journey, I among many others received help from 'elitists' like Touched, FBI, kleenexfeu or KDS.

Tcoppy

Favorite Stand
    Years
    I wouldn't doubt if this was a "plot"tinfoil hat joke here to just cause more drama and activity, as it was really weird to see a post of mine from two years ago be "liked" all of a sudden, but I'm going to fall into the trap share my opinion anyway:

Lately, I've been thinking about the "State of Romhacking". I've come to the conclusion that this is a dumping ground, but a great dumping ground. To be more clear, the whole general idea of romhacking is that it is a hobby, or a form of "art". It's natural that people want to showcase their art somewhere for others to see, whether a romhack here is worthy to be called art or not here is very subjective. What makes this area different from the rest is that there are people here that actually learn from romhacking and take it one step further into program development, whether it'd be a tool for people to use or a game in it's own right. For someone well known, although not from here, Toby Fox can be a perfect recent example of how a hacker became a game developer. So yes, this is a dumping ground of forms of "art", but it is also a place that may give people the jump-start that helps to start a career or do something they've always wanted to do. I have the same opinion as I did two years ago, but I think my thoughts on the topic are way more mature now. I don't think romhacking is a dying breed, but rather a hobby that can change into a passion.

However in this sea of activity, I have a very serious question to ask everyone, most importantly the OP or whoever agrees with the OP, what makes an elitist an elitist? I mean, I've seen people act like they're elitist and they're the best, but it seems that you may not understand what makes an elitist. I mean, JunePhoenixFire pretty much typecasted every "veteran" is an elitist in some way shape or form. Yes, chatrooms do exist, but people don't slam romhacks most of the time, some people might, but I don't think it's because they're veterans, just more because of their tastes and the way they handle things. I'm in a few chatrooms, and like others, I'm far from being a "veteran hacker"well, I guess I hacked through 2010-2015 with a few breaks, but I'm still not a good hacker anyway lol, so would that still make me an elitist because of being associated with other so called "veteran hackers"? Chatrooms are mostly public everyone! The only ones that aren't are associated more with staff, like it should be on irc chatrooms.

Uh, but yeah, if JunePhoenixFire or someone who agrees with them can you tell me what makes an elitist an elitist?

Last edited:
    Years
    Do lurkers and people who only play hacks really think that they're an important part of the community? Without the actual hackers and the "elitists" who literally do all the work for the rest of us, you wouldn't have hacks to play.
    They generally aren't that immune to making games for the consumers, based on what they like, a play by another hacker and by someone else doesn't necessarily come across as inherently different to this. Having said which, these 'elitists' are only elitists because of selective consumption of hacks, which is what their post was about. If they also make things accessible, which is irrelevant, then if this is in contradiction to their overall role or purpose it might not only be questionable if it isn't just being tacked on, then it's not really relevant to the discussion which is about the culture and substance involving hacks rather than otherwise. Obviously, they seem to take it for granted that they have some tie to the wider community which would allow them to formulate their apparent views as standards, rather than just being various hackers with ideas, but that's about the relevance of it. Such denigration of the people who play hacks might go some way towards stymieing the people who produce hacks, perhaps more quickly than those who play them.

So yes, this is a dumping ground of forms of "art", but it is also a place that may give people the jump-start that helps to start a career or do something they've always wanted to do.
    Anything might, but it's best that they didn't hijack a different form and community to achieve these merely personal and selfish ends. To subjugate ROM Hacks to such, and implicitly divide the makers of it by competition completely unrelated to the shadowed nature of what they are doing, would effectively kill the forum, and of course the popularity of teams and such for the purpose of making ROM Hacks, rather than the furthering of any particular person's agenda. ROM Hacks themselves, and the community around them, wholly contradict such a form - they are wedded to obscurity and production gratis, if occasionally for insubstantial external community benefits which are merely a substitute for the benefits of being elsewhere or not doing so - and as such an influx of such people hoping for something completely opposite to what they are getting would probably spell the end for such a form. It would effectively be like a ghost-type Curse, but without affecting the opponent.

If, as Deokisishu said, ROM Hacks do at least give people an opportunity to produce for its own sake or do whatever they wish to do, they are not going to see having a career, and generally still working on games which belong to another, as a step up in those terms.

Uh, but yeah, if JunePhoenixFire or someone who agrees with them can tell me what makes an elitist an elitist?
    You might have answered your question above.

I'm both helping other hackers by sharing my knowledge and giving the players their entertainment.
    While I'm not intending to speak for them, this thread seems to still be kept alive mostly for positive comments about the forum, so it might seem unnecessary to add to this praise with whatever marginalised novelty. They weren't generally speaking about other hackers or the players, but who you were, which seems appropriate in apportioning blame, and in addition more generous than some other comments.

Years
    • She/Her
    • Seen Nov 24, 2023
    Has everyone forgotten that it's the community who actually vote for things like Hack of the Month and not the moderators who choose it? Or am I making that up? Not everyone rom hacks for their hack to get "attention" anyway, the amount of attention a hack recieves is outwith anyone's control - it just seems to be that the majority of the community likes a certain kind of game. The fault lies with no one. Is it really worth getting into a big hefty discussion about... well... a non-discussion?

~ From a non "elitist" n00b hobbyist

Last edited:

Jaizu

Average rom hacker
    Years
    As the creator or Platinum Red & Blue, some tools, and a majority of automated features, I don't see where you're coming from. Am I the bad guy or the good one? Or neither? I'm both helping other hackers by sharing my knowledge and giving the players their entertainment.

You are good, we love u gogo-sama (?)

He meant that some "veteran" Rom Hackers or something like that were saying that newbie hacks are bad or whatever and OP explained that players don't care if the hack was harder to make, they just enjoy playing hacks.

I don't care if people make better or worse hacks than anyone, the only thing that tilts me is when people likes a hack because MEGA-Ev and stuff like that when the creators only copied some routine from Touched or any other rom hacker. Even when the creator of the hack gives credits to the author of the routine, people don't care who made that tileset or that routine, they just like the hack because it has Mega-Ev or another system.

Apologies for my bad english, love u all 8)

Murkrow

Nasty Plotting
    Years
    • Seen Nov 13, 2023
    OP is just a huge troll lmao
    the fact that he lauds darkrising and 1158's hacks (really LOL) just further confirms it.

yeah the state of rom hacking is bad
    simply because of people like OP supporting mediocrity/fanfictiony stories and encouraging hackers that do not improve, thus enabling such piss poor hacks to continue to be made.

Le pug

Creator of Pokémon: Discovery / Fat Kid
    Years

Bad because you'd rather profit off of resources rather than release them. You've done research into expanded OWs and palettes for Emerald for example but only stopped because you weren't offered enough money for your standards, despite your lack of initiative to do an actual job. Obviously there is more like the follow me thing and the other one, I forget, but you didn't share because you can't figure out how to use GitHub but you can make programs lol .. ok

Reactions: Nex

GoGoJJTech

(☞゚ヮ゚)☞ http://GoGoJJTech.com ☜(゚ヮ゚☜)
    Years
    Bad because you'd rather profit off of resources rather than release them. You've done research into expanded OWs and palettes for Emerald for example but only stopped because you weren't offered enough money for your standards, despite your lack of initiative to do an actual job. Obviously there is more like the follow me thing and the other one, I forget, but you didn't share because you can't figure out how to use GitHub but you can make programs lol .. ok

Sorry for destroying rom hacking as a whole, I guess.

Status
    Not open for further replies.
    Back