• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

The worst Pokemon moves of ALL TIME!!!

Years
    • Seen May 11, 2017
    We all have moves that we hate to our core. Obviously Splash is terrible, but what moves really grind your Kinklang?

Attract
    Infatuation drives me insane. 50% of the time my Pokemon won't attack? That's ridiculous!

Swagger
    Basically gives you a swords dance, but confuses you so if you hit yourself it does a ton of damage. And you always end up hitting yourself.

Double Team/Minimize
    Especially in Gold/Silver. Koga's Muk and Crobat really pissed me off.

Flash
    Useless move in battle. In the older games you couldn't delete it until you found the move deleter. In Red/Blue/Yellow I don't think there was a move deleter :o

Soopa Derp Cat

You dank memester you
    Years
    • Seen Oct 14, 2016
    Depends on how you define a bad move. Attract, as you mentioned, is a very annoying move to be on the receiving end of, but that's in part due to how good of a utility move it is. I'd consider a bad move not so much one I wouldn't want to have used against me, but one that I myself wouldn't want to use.

Hammer Arm
    It's a move that Pokémon that are already slow can use to make themselves even slower. And it's not even 100% accurate. Sure, it does some really solid damage, but its unreliability and slowing aspect makes it kind of underwhelming. The worst part, though, is what I mentioned in the first place; most of the Pokémon that actually learn this move are already slow to begin with. Using Hammer Arm more than once per battle is basically just begging for your opponent to get two attacks in a row.

Hyper Beam/Giga Impact
    Never, ever use this move unless you're using it on your opponent's last Pokémon. And then, never, ever use it unless you're a normal type AND your opponent doesn't resist normal. Unless you have that berry that lets you skip the recharge turn. Then sure. Use it. ONCE.

Absorb
    What can I even say about this move? There are two other moves that are literally exactly like it but better. With an utterly pathetic 20 base power and only half of that power going towards actually healing you, you're almost always better off just going for a real damaging move at low health, since Absorb will NOT heal you enough to tank anything. Even when it's super effective, I STILL wouldn't suggest using it.

Fannie

Don't let my milk go lumpy
    Years
    • Age 32
    • UK
    • Seen Dec 31, 2016
    I wouldn't call accuracy reducing moves bad. I used to use them a lot outside of competitive battling. They're a great way to annoy the hell out of anyone I link battled with lol.

Years
    • Seen Oct 22, 2023
    Sand-Attack, in my opinion; I find it bothersome to use, and a little annoying to be used against.

Shiny

content creator on twitch
    Years
  • Any move that requires a turn to recharge irritates me to my core.

FireSnow

Show me that Fighting Spirit
    Years
  • I can't stand any move that causes confusion because it always feels like my Pokemon hurts itself, such a pain. I've also grown to really dislike Thunder Wave but that has more to do with competitive play than the main series games.

Years
    • Seen Jan 1, 2023
    1.ROCK SMASH I have a supreme hatred for rock smash. It's such a weak move, you actually need it to get past obstacles, and it's an hm in most games. now what sets apart rock smash as a move of supreme hatred compared to flash, defog, cut, and whirlpool (the other terrible hms/tms sent from the pits of hell) is that you always tend to need it towards the end of the game (victory road) and the problem with that is it's a pain in the ass to have to save a spot for the terribly weak move rock smash in your party when you're going up against some of the strongest trainers in the game

2. Any move with below 85 accuracy: goodbye, farewell, bon voyage, i will never use you

3. Moves with recoil: it's hard for me to reason using any move with recoil (and yes i know the reasons so don't explain them to me)

4. focus punch: no thank you

Last edited:
    Years
  • Most HM moves. Some I will give a pass like Fly, Waterfall and Surf, but weak ones like Rock Smash and Cut I will definitely not like.

Xherdan

Bad at Good Games
    Years
  • Synchronoise, obviously. It can only hurt Pokémon of the same type as the user. I never used it, and never will.

Leech Life. You start a game, in hopes of owning a great team, in the middle of it, a badass Crobat. But then you catch a Zubat, and have to deal with Leech Life until it learns a better move like Bite, Wing Attack or even Astonish. I hate it, deals little damage to everything.

Celebrate. It's like Splash, but, at least you are rewarded with a "Congratulations" message, sure, i think it's kind of cool, but ech, i would never use it.

Inferno. Where do i even START? It's a Fire type move. With 50% Accuracy. And 100 Base Power. Look, Fire Blast is stronger, has more Base Power AND has more Accuracy. Why would anyone use this?

The final move on this list is Frustration. Come on, it gets stronger as the Pokemon HATES YOU. He doesn't wanna use it on other opponents, he wants to use it on you. Also, walking increases happiness, so yeah. Also, who the hell would treat their Pokemon badly? I don't wanna be known as a maniac who uses my Pokémon's hate for myself as a power.

Years
  • Here's my list:

Frustration: why would you ever use this? In order to get the full power from this move you need to carry around a stack of bitter herbs and use one before every battle! Whoever thought this was a good idea for a move???

Wrap (gen 1): anyone who's played gen 1 knows how stupid this move is. Lasts 2-5 turns during which the only thing your opponent can do is switch to a different pokemon. Basically as long as you are faster than your opponent you will kill them regardless of level or type. On top of that, when surfing around what was the one pokemon you always ran into (the same pokemon every swimmer had)? Tentacool! Guess what move it used the most.....

Present: somewhat surprised this hasn't been mentioned yet. Delibird's signature ability that has a 20% chance of HEALING your opponent..... /facepalm

_Dud_

I can't C#
    Years
  • I think Kinesis is an awful move, and hilarious at the same time. The move will lower the opponent's accuracy, but the move itself has 80% chance to hit, so the move is difficult to land just to lower the opposing Pokemon's accuracy by 1 stage. There are other moves that do the same thing as Kinesis with higher/perfect accuracy, so there's no point in it existing in my opinion.

De La Luz

Heavenly Revolver // Anti-Reload
    Years
    • Seen Jun 13, 2016
    Helping Hand is such an exceptional move. Who wouldn't want it?

Years
    • Seen Jan 1, 2023
    Inferno. Where do i even START? It's a Fire type move. With 50% Accuracy. And 100 Base Power. Look, Fire Blast is stronger, has more Base Power AND has more Accuracy. Why would anyone use this?

hahaha i never even knew this was a move until my latest run using litwick. the prompt came up to learn the move and at first i was like "ohh inferno the name sounds promising!" then i read the accuracy and just thought why would i ever...

Soopa Derp Cat

You dank memester you
    Years
    • Seen Oct 14, 2016
    Wrap - Stupidly overpowered in Gen1, completely pointless from Gen2 onward. Well, not COMPLETELY pointless, but not something you see anybody use...ever...

Swallow - When I first saw this move, I thought it would basically be a healing version of Gen1 wrap. I mean, one would assume that if something, y'know, swallowed you whole, your mobility would be hampered at least a little bit. Instead, it's a healing move that...lowers the user's defense. Okay that also kind of makes sense, but it also kind of defeats its own purpose. It's less like "Swallow" and more like "Stick enemy's face in your mouth and eat their boogers for a bit of extra health but obviously they're just going to chew through the back of your head so why even bother." Of course that name wouldn't fit on the move box, so I guess "Swallow" will do.

Power-up Punch - I kind of have mixed feelings about this move. On one hand, it raises your attack power. On the other hand, Swords Dance raises your attack power faster. On one hand, it does damage, unlike Swords Dance. On another hand, its base power is actually pretty miniscule.

Any moves that are just weaker versions of moves you'll learn later. - Water Gun, Absorb, Ember...stuff like that. They're a good starting point, I guess, but there's literally no reason at all to use them over their more powerful counterparts.

Focus Blast - Pimpnite calls this move "Focus Miss." And for good reason.

Explosion/Self-destruct/Final Gambit - They're great for trolling people, sure, but they're kind of a waste of a Pokémon. You only really want to use these moves if you already have a lead, and if you have a lead, it would be a better idea to KEEP your lead. The worst part is that these moves technically KO your Pokémon BEFORE the target, so even if you win with this move, you lose with this move.

KorpiklaaniVodka

KID BUU PAWAA
    Years
  • Quash - no explanation needed. I didn't even know this was a move until recently.
    Celebrate - REALLY?!
    Synchronoise - it only works on Pokemon of the same type as the user. Maybe a special Dragon-type like Kyurem-W would find a small use for it if it learned Synchronoise, but Umbreon? no.
    Techno Blast - Genesect prefers to use offensive items and moves like Thunderbolt, Flamethrower and Ice Beam. Techno Blast would be good in-game, but not competitively. At least it has a cool name.
    Leech Life - stupid move is stupid.
    Me First/After You/Mirror Move - attacking or statusing your opponent is done better by idk ATTACKING OR STATUSING your opponent. Not copying the last move it did, as it tends to not do enough damage.
    Misty Terrain - what does this move even do?
    Spike Cannon - weak, shit, does no damage, it sucks ass. the name is cool, though
    Present - no explanation required.
    Flatter - raising your opponent's SPECIAL attack and causing confusion? yeah, let that hoopa-U maul me while maybe hoping it hits itself

Years
    • She/Her, It/Its
    • Seen today
    Constrict - Normal type move with a base power of 10 and a 10% chance to lower the opponent's speed.
    Submission. Some people don't even know that the move exists.
    /strongest Fighting move gen 1

Apollo

怖がらないで
    Years
    • Seen Jul 22, 2017
    Weak moves such as Cut, Water Gun and Absorb are moves I would never teach my Pokemon, except if I'm in the beginning of the game where they are quite useful. Helping Hand and Synchronoise and moves of the kind require a specific situation, so those moves are a waste to learn really. :/

Back