• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

Trading regrets?

Years
Have you ever traded away any Pokemon and then later come to regret it?
I'm not really talking about getting scammed by the other person you traded with, though that can also be the case.
I'm referring more to a trade you've done, that you were fine with at the time and the trade going as agreed or expected, but later on regretted doing for whatever reason.

For me one comes to mind. I at one point traded away my shiny Hariyama from Emerald for another shiny. I didn't care about it at all at the time. The trade went fine, we both did as agreed.
But nowadays I find myself kinda regretting trading it away for one simple reason: it was my oldest shiny. I can just hunt a new one in SV, and I will be doing so sooner or later, but I can't really refer to that as my oldest shiny =P

Years
i think i have alot of people on the opposite side due to my wonder trade shenanigans over the years. Many pidgeys, rattatas, and other common stuff gone and replaced with a shiny diance, mew, and giratina

Explorer of Time

Advocate of Ideals
Years
I've never actually traded anything outside my own games, so not at all. Unless you count transfers, in which case I regret transferring some of my legendaries from Gen 4 to White.

Years
  • Age 35
  • Any pronoun
  • Seen today
Not in memory. Generally only trades Pokemon straight from eggs.

Probably traded away a legendary for a legendary (like Xerneas for Yveltal), then traded to get a different legendary of the same species back. Dislikes getting someone else's, particularly one with a different name.

Years
So, I had virtually all the games, but only one 3DS at the time. For some reason I wanted to trade my Solgaleo from one game to another - I think Bank wasn't an option at this point, maybe? - so I was doing the ol' GTS trick of "Put up a Magikarp requesting a legendary"; obviously nobody would trade their Solgaleo for a Magikarp, so I'd find the entry with ease, make the trade, and voila, I have Solgaleo in my Moon.

Only, I was doing a bunch of trades like this, and Solgaleo was one of the ones toward the end of my list. I absolutely went on autopilot, and instead of going into the GTS menu, I went straight into Wonder Trade.
Pretty sure I got a Basculin for my Solgaleo. I only realised what I'd done as they crossed each other on the screen, and I think I turned off my 3DS (or at least tried to) mid-trade in panic, but evidently the data is transferred long before that animation finishes, because when I booted back in, there was Basculin smiling back at me.

Now, this would be HEARTBREAKING if S/M didn't give you the Cosmog to evolve into a second Solgaleo/Lunala specifically so you could trade with people, and of course I've gotten US/UM and the Sw/Sh DLC since (so my cup runneth over with Solgaleo), but still.

Years
  • Age 23
  • Seen yesterday
I would trade with my younger cousin so I could help him progress.

Often this meant giving away a high leveled team member...for, well, his yungoose or zubat that had been sitting in his box.

Sweet Serenity

Advocate of Truth
Years
I don't think I ever regretted any trades I made normally. Usually, when I decide to trade for a Pokémon, it is for a good purpose. However, I have had some Pokémon stolen from me before when trading. Ever since then, I only do evolution trades with friends or family.

Palamon

Silence is Purple
Years
Hmm...no. Except maybe some Surprise Trades in S/V because I got stupid hacked mons from it? Most of the Pokemon I traded away were things I specifically caught to trade, anyway.

icycatelf

Alex
Years
As far as I can recall, the only trades I regretted both involved a Shiny Haunter. First I had a friend help me evolve it into Gengar, which I regretted because it's pretty dull. So I ended up trading it to someone on here. Then, years later, we get Mega Gengar with its sweet Shiny!!! ><

I don't have any strong feelings for it now though. Probably wouldn't have it on any of my main teams even if I did still have it.

Years
None that I can recall at the moment.

In terms of transfers back when I had the Switch, I made a LOT of transfers to Pokemon Home. Now I know my 40+ boxes are with someone I trust.

As for 3DS/2DS, i'm just happy I didn't transfer my shiny Emolga that I caught back when I had X to Home. He's sitting pretty on my Ultra Moon file, but idk what to do with him. I either transferred, or wondertraded my 'mons in my Ultra Moon file with the exception of that Emolga, a Dartrix, and a Lunala so...idk how to feel. Some wondertraded 'mons were obviously hacked from the date they were "caught." I snicker at such a sight.

Why am I scared to restart Omega Ruby? I transferred everyone to Home, and yet, I have a level 1 Magby and a level 1 Froakie that were wondertraded to me and stuck there. I can't use 2DS wi-fi cause derp reasons (in other words I really don't know why I can't use it).

If anyone wants to test out the friendcodes with Gen 6 or 7, give me a visitor message though I highly doubt it'll work. It might work when I go to my parents house when I see them this weekend, but that's just a theory. A game theory. :P

Last edited:
Back