• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

Twitch Plays pokemon

pkmnmaster69

When will this day end?
Years
    • Seen Oct 24, 2020
    They just managed to beat Red now. It was hilarious watching it live especially, seeing Lazorgatr as the last pokemon, just managing to beat Bird Jesus with red health, when cut missed once and Pidgeot kept spamming Sky Attack. Luckily we still managed to beat Red, even though we used Cut of all moves, instead of Surf and Icy Wind to finish him off.

Emerald has some potential in being a great play through, especially since Hoenn is alot more harder and interesting than boring Johto, and arguably even Kanto. It should be fun, though I don't see this recreating the same magic that Twitch Play Red had.

Last edited:

bobandbill

one more time
    Years
  • Here's a video of that for those who missed it, but with no sound: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JOUH7sGWXTU

Emerald has some potential in being a great play through, especially since Hoenn is alot more harder and interesting than boring Johto, and arguably even Kanto.
    Oi, Johto ain't boring. =p Maybe not as ideal for twitch as others (but then, ice path, the farfetch'd, morty's gym were plenty challenging), but it has much more personality to it than most of Kanto's routes I'd argue. Hoenn meanwhile has a mixture of more varied locations (desert, volcano, ice place) and... a lot of water routes. Oh boy can't wait to encounter some wingull/pelliper/tentacool! =p But see my reasons in an earlier post about why I don't think we'd get 70,000 views again even on a semi-consistent basis.

Years
    • Seen Mar 23, 2014
    Well This stream is making me get a 3ds this week just to play pokemon. Whats wrong with my life...

Years
  • Aw man, it seems like the viewership count has dropped drastically since they started Crystal. Very rarely see it mentioned anywhere anymore either and admit I've not been watching much since. :( But am excited for Emerald! More of a pain to navigate which means more fun to watch~

Treecko

the princess without voice
    Years
  • LAZORGATOR THE GOD KILLER. It's awesome knowing we beat Red , though I missed it by 2 hours ...I only I woke a couple hours earlier. Oh well it's on YouTube I'll watch it after I post this.Now on to Emerald in 6 days! I'm glad they decided to take a break cause that allows people to take break from this and people tired of it won't have to see everyone taking about it for a while.

I'm surprised so many people are still watching it. They're playing Bootleg Pokemon Diamond and Jade last I checked. Which is actually the game Keitai Denjū Telefang. There's 7,000 still watching which impressive imo.
    Well This stream is making me get a 3ds this week just to play pokemon. Whats wrong with my life...

Nothing wrong at all! It's great knowing people are getting into Pokemon/ getting back into Pokemon cause of tpp.

Olli

I am still bathing in a summer's afterglow
    Years
  • Yeahh, I kinda fell out of the loop towards the end of Red, though I still love all the lore that came out of Crystal. Too bad the third generation games aren't really tied together with the previous two, so we won't get the lore cross-overs. But it seems as though democracy mode will be completely removed apart from in situations where it's actually needed in the Emerald playthrough, so hopefully it'll bring back some of the viewers. And the third gen games also has a huge fan following, so hopefully we can count on them too haha.

One of the things I really liked about the playthrough of Red was, that even the most trivial things could take hours to complete, and it meant you didn't have to constantly be following the stream to stay updated on everything, since you could count on them to stay in the same place for hours, which was probably mostly because of how hard it was to actually use HM's. That isn't really the case in the newer generations though D: And the thrill of going to the PC in anarchy mode isn't gonna be the same in Emerald either, since the PC layout has been changed, so it isn't quite as easy to release Pokemon anymore. But oh well, still hoping for a good playthrough :D

Treecko

Years
  • Yeah I'm thankful for the PC changes in a way. Any trip to the PC in TPP gen 1 and 2 was a nightmare. :/ I hated how much Pokemon were released in Red. Never forget Bloody Sunday. Plus two of my favorites were released in Crystal, Prince Omlette and Admiral Sentret. :'( Rest in peace. But with the new box system in gen 3, releasing Pokemon won't happen as often or hopefully none at all. I'd hate it if we pick Treecko and we end up releasing it by accident. :( I'd be devastated.

mangamusicfan

The Lost one.
    Years
  • Can't wait to see the emrald version.
    Hope the views get better than they where in crystal.
    Really like the Idea of twitch play's!

Olli

I am still bathing in a summer's afterglow
    Years
  • To be honest, I actually liked the fact that releasing Pokemon was so easy in the first two generations. Of course it sucks to lose Pokemon, but it contributed a lot to the lore whenever it happened, and it put a legitimate threat in the game. It feels weird to say it, but it brought forth some of the most intense moments, and I really liked that about it. So I actually see it as a loss D:

Heather

Years
    • Seen Jul 17, 2021
    I'm so excited to see Twitch Plays Pokemon Emerald. Emerald was one of my most favorite games because I feel like Emerald was a gateway to much more fun ways of gameplay like rotation battles and the battle frontier, etc.

Treecko

Years
  • I guess that makes sense , Olli, but it's still sad to me when we release Pokemon. :( Though it does make for good lore. I mean Lazorgator wouldn't have become a god killer if Prince Omelette wasn't released.

Also Twitch have been playing Sonic Advance 2 and they have done a lot of this.

tumblr_n2m1gnkDPk1qhqb9no1_500.gif

fenyx4

HOENN CONFIRMED!
    Years
  • Wow...I thought that Twitch Plays Pokemon Crystal would still be tackling the Kanto Gyms by now, but now I find out that they've beaten Pokemon Crystal (Johto Gyms, Johto Elite 4 and Champion Lance, Kanto Gyms, and Red) ALREADY and are awaiting Twitch Plays Pokemon Emerald?! Wow...XD I'm kind of stunned.. (Guess we got through Ice Path after all!) The last live moments I witnessed were around when Gym Leader Morty was defeated; after that, school+spring break happened. >_< I managed to glimpse some of the live-update thread when we were beginning to challenge Will (and whoever's after him) at Indigo Plateau.

I'm glad to hear that Red's team was properly modified to fit the Twitch Plays Pokemon Red Hall of Fame team! (Pokemon HeartGold/SoulSilver totally should've done the same thing if the player has Pokemon FireRed/LeafGreen inserted in the Nintendo DS Phat/DS Lite's Game Boy Advance cartridge slot...sigh..) And of all moves, Cut finishes Red off? Wow.. XD And thank goodness that Lazorgator the Feraligatr survived the whole playthrough; I thought he would've been absent-mindedly released at some point. :x It sucks that :n the Drowzee was released, though (among the other few untimely releases)!

Sigh...such a shame, so much Pokemon Crystal music and visuals that I missed!

I honestly better not miss the final battle with Red as it's happening. I swear I will cry if I will. I'm it will probably be on Youtube, but it's not the same as witnessing it in person as it happens.

Yeah I think lots of people will always prefer the original over the sequels. Red was definitely more interesting. This run has lots of good stories too, but they're just not as over the top as consulting fossils and such.

Emerald should be more fun though given there's more to do and more fun stories can be made around it. I'm hoping it's more fun. I'm still into this trend obviously. (And I'd love if we pick Treecko. ) I hear the guy's changing the system a bit more so we'll see how that shakes things up.

Agreed; I'll probably watch the upload of the final Elite 4 battles, the final battle against Champion Lance, as well as the final battle against Pokemon Trainer Red, but the feeling just won't involve the tension and anticipation from witnessing the event live...

Yeah; Pokemon Red had the virtue of coming first (as well as a host of quirks that make it markedly different from its successor games, such as the Bag layout), so I see how the stories there seem more vivid.

I wonder if TPP will take on Hoenn's Trick House as a diversion, or even Pokemon Contests..? ^^ I really hoping that we pick Torchic (with Blaziken being known as a powerhouse nowadays) or Mudkip (memetic status FTW!), although knowing TP, Treecko will likely be selected since its icon is where the "starter Pokemon selection" cursor rests at default position, IIRC.

I'm hoping the Anarchy/Democracy system from Twitch Plays Pokemon Red is instated; the changes made in the Twitch Pokemon Crystal Version run were just excessive, IMO. And we're going to need Democracy Mode at some point, particularly for Sootopolis Gym's cracking ice puzzle, Sky Pillar (Emerald mandates its traversal at least once for the storyline), and Hoenn's Victory Road (which requires a boatload of HMs).

If we really are, then I believe this will be a pain in our butts.
    Spoiler:

All of those ledge will be the death of us. If the reason why this has lost it's charm is cause there's not as much memes/stories as the originals, then clearly no one's seen my 5 billion posts on the stories for the Crystal run. But I'm hoping Emerald has more of those to make in more interesting.

Also, this is relevant. Some underground band performed a song in 2001 called "I Wasted My Master Ball On Freakin' Goldeen." And it pretty much predicted the future since Twitch wasted their Master Ball on a Goldeen in Crystal.

Spoiler:

Also they remastered the song just for TPP.
    Spoiler:

LOL, at least Emerald gives some space in front of the entrance in Magma Hideout... But yeah, in the case that we randomly jump down all of those ledges, reaching Mt. Chimney's peak (when needed) and Magma Hideout will be very frustrating to backtrack to, assuming that we don't obtain the Acro Bike. ROFL; very neat coincidence regarding Goldeen!

As for the Master Ball, I doubt we'll be using it on a legendary Pokemon this time (unless we have the tenacity to go seek one during the post-game, if there even is a post-game). It'll be a chore getting to Rayquaza the first time, and catching Rayquaza requires backtracking from Sootopolis City to Pacifidlog Town (once the Weather Trio crisis concludes). Catching Groudon and Kyogre requires the defeat of Hoenn's Elite 4 and Champion for their caves to become "active", IIRC, and the location of their inhabited caves are somewhat randomized. The roaming Lati@s is restricted to post-game, and I highly doubt that the Mob will want to traverse the fast sea currents west of Pacifidlog Town to even begin to unlock the Regis (if we lack a Pokemon with Fly and mess up on the fast sea currents, we have to navigate from Slateport City to Pacifidlog Town on foot, since the point of the fast sea currents is to prevent one from sailing straightforwardly from Slateport City to Pacifidlog Town/the Sealed Chamber. Not to mention the insane amount of backtracking required to even reach one Regi, and the high precision that each of their puzzles require).

It's now definitely confirmed Twitch Plays Pokemon Emerald is happening. This is on the stream.
    FV5rPoK.png

6 days and 20 hours until Emerald guys! It's good knowing we're getting more than a day break this time. That might help draw more publicly and get the online new outlets time to post articles on it. Probably meaning more viewers. And Democracy mode is disabled for now lo.

Can't wait to hear the wonderful music of Hoenn...yet again! The music will probably be less "exciting" for me in the sense that I pretty much know the majority of the tracks that play in-game, I've been playing in Emerald for years (and Sapphire prior), and I can just turn on a Game Boy Advance to play Pokemon Emerald and hear most of the themes easily (Wild Pokemon battle, Elite 4 battle, etc.)... I have a feeling that the myriad of trumpets will resound with new memetically-inspired vigor, though. :) In any case, I'm hoping that I can:
    -hear "Battle! Team Magma/Team Aqua (Grunt)" and "Battle! Team Magma/Team Aqua Leader" during the stream
    -witness a Gym Leader battle
    -witness one of the climatic battles against Maxie and/or Archie (I can just imagine all of the "M-M-MAXIE OF TEAM M-M-MAGMA ChuggaaConroy references in the chat during the fight against Maxie atop Mt. Chimney XD)
    -witness the Weather Trio crisis (I really want to see what the chat says during Rayquaza's descent in the midst of the Weather Trio crisis, which I think will only be possible when viewing the stream live)
    -witness the final Elite Four battles
    -witness the final Champion battle

Hmm...a disadvantage of Pokemon Emerald (oddly enough) is that we have "PokeGear 2.0" in the form of the PokeNav's Match Call system.. I don't think they'll be as intrusive as Johto's talkative Trainers, but they still might pose a problem at times..

I'd like to see how we handle switching between the Bag's pockets.. XD Several HMs are needed for Hoenn's Victory Road, and we need to use the Mach Bike to overcome the cracks in Sky Pillar if we want to catch Rayquaza proper (I'm guessing the Select button will be disabled yet again, so we'll need to access the Mach Bike manually).

They just managed to beat Red now. It was hilarious watching it live especially, seeing Lazorgatr as the last pokemon, just managing to beat Bird Jesus with red health, when cut missed once and Pidgeot kept spamming Sky Attack. Luckily we still managed to beat Red, even though we used Cut of all moves, instead of Surf and Icy Wind to finish him off.

Emerald has some potential in being a great play through, especially since Hoenn is alot more harder and interesting than boring Johto, and arguably even Kanto. It should be fun, though I don't see this recreating the same magic that Twitch Play Red had.

LOL at the use of Cut. XD I'm surprised that you mention Johto as boring, though, with all the praise I've seen given to Pokemon Gold/Silver/Crystal by fans...

Here's a video of that for those who missed it, but with no sound: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JOUH7sGWXTU

Oi, Johto ain't boring. =p Maybe not as ideal for twitch as others (but then, ice path, the farfetch'd, morty's gym were plenty challenging), but it has much more personality to it than most of Kanto's routes I'd argue. Hoenn meanwhile has a mixture of more varied locations (desert, volcano, ice place) and... a lot of water routes. Oh boy can't wait to encounter some wingull/pelliper/tentacool! =p

This!

Aw man, it seems like the viewership count has dropped drastically since they started Crystal. Very rarely see it mentioned anywhere anymore either and admit I've not been watching much since.
    3.%20frown.gif
    But am excited for Emerald! More of a pain to navigate which means more fun to watch~

Yeah; it sucks that the hype/interest has died down so much since Twitch Plays Pokemon Red, but I guess it's to be expected. I hardly watched the Crystal run mostly because of school, but here's hoping I can catch more of the Emerald run (especially with how familiar I am with Hoenn's locales, features, etc.! I can't miss the stream of the one Pokemon game that I've played the most of! XD).

I'm glad they decided to take a break cause that allows people to take break from this and people tired of it won't have to see everyone taking about it for a while.

I'm surprised so many people are still watching it. They're playing Bootleg Pokemon Diamond and Jade last I checked. Which is actually the game Keitai Denjū Telefang. There's 7,000 still watching which impressive imo.

The provided break is great (although it would be after I conclude my own spring break @_@). Wow, the Mob played Keitai Denjū Telefang? That's a bit surprising.. XD (I hope they played the infamous "Vietnamese Pokemon Crystal"!)

Yeahh, I kinda fell out of the loop towards the end of Red, though I still love all the lore that came out of Crystal. Too bad the third generation games aren't really tied together with the previous two, so we won't get the lore cross-overs. But it seems as though democracy mode will be completely removed apart from in situations where it's actually needed in the Emerald playthrough, so hopefully it'll bring back some of the viewers. And the third gen games also has a huge fan following, so hopefully we can count on them too haha.

One of the things I really liked about the playthrough of Red was, that even the most trivial things could take hours to complete, and it meant you didn't have to constantly be following the stream to stay updated on everything, since you could count on them to stay in the same place for hours, which was probably mostly because of how hard it was to actually use HM's. That isn't really the case in the newer generations though D: And the thrill of going to the PC in anarchy mode isn't gonna be the same in Emerald either, since the PC layout has been changed, so it isn't quite as easy to release Pokemon anymore. But oh well, still hoping for a good playthrough :D

Maybe the "break in continuity" from Pokemon Ruby/Sapphire/Emerald and Generation 2 might prove useful, so that a new Hoenn-based lore can be forged.. Who knows, Pokemon like Beautifly and Mightyena might turn out to be the new "Pidgeot and Omanyte".. XD

I counted on Twitch to spend a while traversing the area before Kanto's Victory Road, but every time I was hours away, we always managed to be inside Victory Road, so I missed all the trekking.. >_>

Yeah I'm thankful for the PC changes in a way. Any trip to the PC in TPP gen 1 and 2 was a nightmare. :/ I hated how much Pokemon were released in Red. Never forget Bloody Sunday. Plus two of my favorites were released in Crystal, Prince Omlette and Admiral Sentret. :'( Rest in peace. But with the new box system in gen 3, releasing Pokemon won't happen as often or hopefully none at all. I'd hate it if we pick Treecko and we end up releasing it by accident.
    3.%20frown.gif
    I'd be devastated.

To be honest, I actually liked the fact that releasing Pokemon was so easy in the first two generations. Of course it sucks to lose Pokemon, but it contributed a lot to the lore whenever it happened, and it put a legitimate threat in the game. It feels weird to say it, but it brought forth some of the most intense moments, and I really liked that about it. So I actually see it as a loss D:

Although the Pokemon releases contributed quite a bit to the lore of Twitch Plays Pokemon Red, I'm glad that the releasing mechanic is made harder in Generation 3. Aside from the loss of fan-favorite Pokemon, excessive Pokemon getting released can render the game somewhat unbeatable:

For example, what if the player is low on pocket money in Hoenn's EverGrande City (northern end) but (somehow) has 5 high-leveled Pokemon and 1 Level 5 Pokemon (that happens to know all of the HMs needed to navigate Victory Road) in the party? If you happen to release all 5 of your high-level Pokemon at the PC right before you challenge the high-leveled Elite 4 Pokemon teams, I would think it would be very difficult to beat the game. The aforementioned lone Level 5 Pokemon can't survive encounters against high-leveled wild Pokemon of Hoenn's Victory Road, and you can't buy any Poke Balls with which to catch other high-leveled Pokemon. Not to mention that you're hard-pressed to find Trainers who are readily available to rematch with Pokemon that can yield sufficient Experience Points for grindfests. I was a bit worried about this during the Red and Crystal runs, since if the player fights most/all of the NPCs, the only experience-point grinding you can do is against wild Pokemon (and the ones that give out decent experience points seem to be only at 'end-game' locations).

Tl;dr - releasing high-level Pokemon and leaving only a very-low leveled Pokemon in the party can potentially render the game nearly unbeatable. One could argue that we don't need to beat the game in mere days/weeks/months, but re-assembling a high-level team (to take on the Elite 4/Champion) with low funds and a low-leveled Pokemon isn't exactly fun, compelling, and/or a walk in the park, at least in my opinion.

I guess that makes sense , Olli, but it's still sad to me when we release Pokemon.
    3.%20frown.gif
    Though it does make for good lore. I mean Lazorgator wouldn't have become a god killer if Prince Omelette wasn't released.

Also Twitch have been playing Sonic Advance 2 and they have done a lot of this.

tumblr_n2m1gnkDPk1qhqb9no1_500.gif

Nice, even Sonic Advance 2 was featured! I hope there's an archive of all the non-Pokemon games that the Mob/chat has been tackling..

------

Anyway, lots of content I have to catch up for (at least a week's worth!) in terms of Twitch Plays Pokemon Crystal! I eagerly await Twitch Plays Pokemon Emerald, though!

Oh, and I wonder how Pokemon Emerald's post-game will be quantified... Will it even exist? I personally think that the "true" end-game is receiving all of the Hoenn Battle Frontier's Gold Symbols, but with the large amount of hax permeating the Frontier facilities and the general difficulty of the facilities even for skilled/competent Pokemon players, I doubt we'll go that far. XD However, I do think that the battle against Steven Stone within Meteor Falls (despite the interior of that place being ledge-o-rama at some points) should count as the "end-point" at the bare minimum, since he's the "true" Hoenn Champion (at least to me) and his team is higher-leveled in comparison to Hoenn Champion Wallace's team in Emerald - he's basically Generation 3's "Generation 2's Red", only not you...if that makes any sense. XD And hey, the man is going to be giving us a free TM (Steel Wing), potentially gifting us a Metagross (although I doubt it'll get trained) left at his house, helping us use the Devon Scope, and teaming up with us to fend off Team Magma at Mossdeep Space Center - we owe him something, at least! XD Not to mention that more post-game gives us a chance to potentially catch Lati@s and Groudon/Kyogre/Rayquaza.

Right now, a (French?) version of the videogame Dogz is being played/streamed... I like the art style (lovely sprites) and the catchy music (although hearing the same song is kind of driving me bonkers, like what happened when Red got trapped in Cinnabar Mansion for ~1.5 hours during Twitch Plays Pokemon Red XD).

And finally, places I'm waiting for us to explore in Emerald:
    -Trick House - the Trick Master fits well in the zany lore of Twitch
    -Seafloor Cavern: this room practically begs us to use Democracy Mode, with its fast-moving currents and all:
    Seafloor_Cavern_R5_E.png

-Sootopolis City Gym: DAT ICE PUZZLE
    -BOO! Sigh...I was looking forward to Sky Pillar, but the pre-Weather-Trio-crisis makes it way too easy, even on the final floor that initially has 3 cracks; I would've loved if the Ruby/Sapphire variant was required (Mach Bike is required along with certain speeds and instances of timing, and if you mess up, you have to select the Mach Bike again, backtrack to the floor you were on, and get across all of the cracks again). It would probably necessitate Democracy Mode, but I'd still would love to see us attempt it; I would be elated/horrified if we somehow hacked the game to make the pre-crisis Emerald variant the same as the post-crisis one, just for kicks. :P
    Pre-Crisis Variant:
    Sky_Pillar_4F_before_E.png

Post-Crisis Variant (MWAHAHAHA):
    Sky_Pillar_4F_after_E.png

-Mauville City Gym: Apparently, pressing the switches a certain way in the Emerald variant of the Gym can get you permanently stuck (and unless there's overworld Poison afflicting the party, you can't "faint" yourself out/intentionally white out), so I'm waiting to see whether this miniscule event will happen. :P

On a side-note, I still can't believe we didn't encounter MissingNo. in Anarchy Mode during TPP Red (we talked to the Viridian Old Man dozens of times, but I don't think we surfed on Cinnabar Island's eastern waters, although we were quite close at times..) Did we at least encounter one of the Legendary Dogs during TPP Crystal..? At least we apparently found a Shiny Mantine (against all odds) and hilariously ran...an event which I missed! T_T

Years
  • So right when Emerald was supposed to start the brb splash screen came up. So far there's a lot of lag as well with the game.

bobandbill

one more time
    Years
  • Lag is a bit less than before but still darn annoying.

A quick summary though - they're two hours in (or around hour and half by the save time due to apparent issues). They took ages to get their starter... a Torchic, called zyyxyy. They picked May, and called her A as well.

Only looking at it in the background of other things, but they just lost to Brendan in the first battle. Granted, Torchic only had 8 HP and suffered to a crit hit straight away...

Treecko

Years
  • This round seems it could take longer. Plus with all the puzzles in Hoenn , it will last. We're still near Oldale and it's been 2 hours. Though Zexy (Torchic's fan name) might become overpowered like Lazorgator though I really hope not.

I glad we picked May cause it will add variety to the lore. First female go A-Chan! Was hoping they'd pick Treecko , but Torchic is a cutie.

Puddle

Mission Complete✔
    Years
  • This round seems it could take longer. Plus with all the puzzles in Hoenn , it will last. We're still near Oldale and it's been 2 hours. Though Zexy (Torchic's fan name) might become overpowered like Lazorgator though I really hope not.

I glad we picked May cause it will add variety to the lore. First female go A-Chan! Was hoping they'd pick Treecko , but Torchic is a cutie.

Blaziken is probably our best option to be honest. Beating Flannery and Norman are going to be pains.

Kano Shuuya

→ you're here, aren't you?
    Years
  • This is so painful to watch, but I might have to go back and see anyway, because I love Hoenn, and I wanna see everyone kill it. In a good way.

Polonaise

Pianist
    Years
  • Omg Twitch Plays Pokemon is really funny. I've only started to watch today, but I tuned into it a little bit before and heard a bunch of rumors about it. xD

And yeah, the Spear Pillar should be pretty hard for them. 8D

Years
  • If they can manage to get through the Kanto Safari Zone, then they should be able to get through the Spear Pillar just fine. Same goes for Juan's gym and other areas with unstable ground.

Back