• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

6th Gen U.S. Hoopa Event - McDonalds? Sounds like a lot of Hoopa!

Sopheria

響け〜 響け!
Years
They've done event distributions for Pokemon at McDonald's before?

I mean, yeah McDonald's exists in many countries but a fast food place sounds a little weird for a video game event to me....

They've done it in Japan before, but this is definitely the first time they've done it in the US.

At least now that we know that it's distributed through a Wi-Fi service, we can be sure they can't pull any shenanigans where we're forced to buy some of their food (?) to get the event.

Syrex

[b][i][COLOR=black][font=Rock Salt][glow=green]Hen
Years
If i were forced to buy something to get the event pokemon, I'd buy like a 59 cent ice cream cone and reap the rewards that is HOOPA!

Years
  • Age 37
  • Seen today
McDonald's offers free wi-fi for anyone to use. While I'm sure that they'd appreciate people buying their products, they should also be used to people coming in and using their wi-fi. Especially when it's only being used by someone for a few seconds to download a Pokemon.

You can even go in and just ask to buy the toys that come in the Happy Meals without actually purchasing food. That way, you can claim you're making a purchase to have an excuse to use their wi-fi but you're not actually buying their food.

Reactions: Sun
Years
  • Seen Oct 22, 2023
Didn't they host some distribution event like this at McDonald's years ago?

Sun

When the sun goes down...
Years
  • Seen Jan 20, 2017
^

I'm not sure in the states, I think they did? But I could be wrong.
While I'm sure such events aren't rare from McDonald's in Japan, Pokemon players over here often brag them (over the net) that's why I'm sure of it. XD

Sopheria

響け〜 響け!
Years
If I had any doubts about the start date, I did not before, but I do now. I am not sure it is a good idea having the event start on Black Friday. This is due to how busy that day is, so there would probably be a lot of people attempting to get Hoopa that day.

Are you thinking they're going to change the start date then? I don't think McDonald's gets particularly busy on Black Friday. It's mainly malls and department stores.

YellowTemperance

DeDeDoodles™ by Kirby
Years
Speaking from experience here, since my mother is currently working as a third-shift manager at a McDonalds near my home, I can attest that they typically don't mind people just coming in and using the free wi-fi, and they don't force you to buy anything. Nobody at the McDonalds knows who I am, let alone my mother's relation to me, and they don't bat an eyelash at people just sitting at a table in the lobby and getting on their wifi for whatever reason, be it netflix watching or the vidya gaems, so long as you're no disturbance to the other patrons.

And it's not like McDonalds food is -entirely- terrible. A plain hamburger is a dollar, nothing but bun and patty. It's thirty cents more to add cheese for a cheeseburger. Two bacon-egg-and-cheese biscuits, thanks to McDonalds' recent decision to start selling breakfast all day, are $3.33. Hell, just buy a dollar sweet tea or an ice-cream cone off the dollar menu, or like Astinus noted, you can buy the Happy Meal toys, if you really need to justify a visit to McDonalds.

Years
  • Age 31
  • Online now
They've had events at McDonald's before. Long ago. I remember trying to get one in the parking lot once so I wouldn't have to go in lmao.

I can't wait to get Hoopa. I've always wanted him. Although I wish they gave him on Halloween since he is ghost :3

~RNC~

Mother Of All Pokemon!!
Years
I have skimmed through and read it was going to be released and then serebii updated and it was wrong, I was reading on pokemon.com and it says still that it will be released on the 27th, which is correct? Serebii or pokemon.com?

Years
  • Age 28
  • Seen Nov 14, 2023
I have skimmed through and read it was going to be released and then serebii updated and it was wrong, I was reading on pokemon.com and it says still that it will be released on the 27th, which is correct? Serebii or pokemon.com?

Both say Hoopa will be released on the 27th.

~RNC~

Mother Of All Pokemon!!
Years
Same thing. Go inside, open up mystery gift and get via wireless.

It said this: "To get Hoopa, connect to Nintendo Zone after logging on to the free Wi-Fi that is available inside participating McDonald's restaurants."

Sorry just found the blue part a bit confusing.

Sopheria

響け〜 響け!
Years
It said this: "To get Hoopa, connect to Nintendo Zone after logging on to the free Wi-Fi that is available inside participating McDonald's restaurants."

Sorry just found the blue part a bit confusing.

Nintendo Zone is just the name for Nintendo's public Wi-Fi service. Just connect to McDonald's Wi-Fi on your 3DS and you'll get your Hoopa from Mystery Gift :)

http://www.nintendo.com/3ds/nintendozone

Back