• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

6th Gen U.S. Hoopa Event - McDonalds? Sounds like a lot of Hoopa!

~RNC~

Mother Of All Pokemon!!
Years
I went to McDonalds and only got one for the 6 games I have, their net was running slow or some thing and I did get to get 2 of the toys, got a kyogre and lugia.

Ammako

I hate you. You know who you are.
Years
  • Seen Feb 1, 2018
any way for me to access this in the uk?

UK had Hoopa in GAME stores from October 23rd to November 5th. You missed that, unfortunately.
I'm pretty sure this event would be region-locked, so even if you were to connect to a Nintendo Zone in a McDonalds from USA, with an european 3DS and game, you probably wouldn't be able to download it. :/

In the event that it actually isn't region-locked, then you -should- be able to spoof your network card's mac address and broadcast an access point using a certain SSID to trick your 3DS into thinking you connected to a Nintendo Zone in a McDonalds in the USA which should let you download it. But if it is region-locked, that wouldn't help much.

By the way, I don't know if that would be allowed here, but if it is, given that I have access to editing my save file, I could get the Wondercard and pick up a few to give away to some of you who can't get it. All I ask is that you keep it for your personal collection only, unless you let the other person know where it came from and they are okay with it.

YellowTemperance

DeDeDoodles™ by Kirby
Years
Got mine, and made sure to snag the unused Wondercard from my Alpha Sapphire save just in case I want more. Wasn't too hard, and I didn't even leave my house to do it; the trick Fun Size linked works well... ;)

Years
  • Seen Oct 6, 2018
Thanks for the info. I'll make sure to get my Hoops. However, I doubt the McDonalds near me will have this. They aren't the best McDonalds in my area if you catch my drift.

Ammako

Years
  • Seen Feb 1, 2018
Yeah I got 5 of them today, so it's pretty cool.

If you can't/don't want to go to McDonalds for whatever reason, this will work for people in the U.S. and Canada to get the Hoopa from home.

If that works, then I should be able to get fully legit Hoopas for anyone who wants one and can't get one, instead of save editing with the Wondercard, then it won't matter if you choose to trade it down the line or not.

Can also confirm it does :3
Spoiler:

(Don't try Connectify, it won't work; at least I don't think so. I had to use my phone's wireless tethering. Link says it has to be an access point with no security and Connectify only supports WPA2.)

Last edited:

magicalgirlj

I liek Popplio
Years
Thanks for the info. I'll make sure to get my Hoops. However, I doubt the McDonalds near me will have this. They aren't the best McDonalds in my area if you catch my drift.

I am really worried that the McDonalds in Richmond VA will not have this because anime is not a big thing. I can't leave the city because I don't drive. I wish we could get this at home, I don't know why we have to go out in public to do this.

Ammako

Years
  • Seen Feb 1, 2018
I am really worried that the McDonalds in Richmond VA will not have this because anime is not a big thing. I can't leave the city because I don't drive. I wish we could get this at home, I don't know why we have to go out in public to do this.

Scroll up :p
If you can change the settings on your wireless router and set the name to "McDonalds Free WiFi" with no password, you can download the Hoopa from the comfort of your own home.
Or if you have the ability to create your own wireless AP, from your phone or whatever, you can do that too.
Or if you can't do any of it, I can do it and trade the Hoopa over to you if you want.

Pinkie-Dawn

Vampire Waifu
Years
Scroll up :p
If you can change the settings on your wireless router and set the name to "McDonalds Free WiFi" with no password, you can download the Hoopa from the comfort of your own home.
Or if you have the ability to create your own wireless AP, from your phone or whatever, you can do that too.
Or if you can't do any of it, I can do it and trade the Hoopa over to you if you want.

Does it have to work on your home's router or on your 3DS's wireless settings?

Ammako

Years
  • Seen Feb 1, 2018
Does it have to work on your home's router or on your 3DS's wireless settings?
As long as your 3DS connects to a network named "McDonalds Free WiFi" that has no password, it -should- work.

Actually, I'll try make a network named like that except with WPA2 encryption and I'll see if it works too.

Edit: So I just tried, it has to be a network with no encryption, otherwise the game doesn't find a gift on Mystery Gift, even if the network name is changed to "McDonalds Free WiFi"

Last edited:

天 (Caine)

Flower Child
Years
I'm a bit confused about this event. I've tried to do a test run of opening up the "Nintendo Zone" program on my 3DS before I make a trip to Mickie D's, and I get an error message that says "This service has been discontinued. Thank you for using this service." I've never connected to their wifi before, and I'm just really confused as to how this works. Do I just need to connect to their wifi like I would at any other hotspot or do I need to use the Nintendo Zone program to do it?

Thanks in advance guys.

Sopheria

響け〜 響け!
Years
I'm a bit confused about this event. I've tried to do a test run of opening up the "Nintendo Zone" program on my 3DS before I make a trip to Mickie D's, and I get an error message that says "This service has been discontinued. Thank you for using this service." I've never connected to their wifi before, and I'm just really confused as to how this works. Do I just need to connect to their wifi like I would at any other hotspot or do I need to use the Nintendo Zone program to do it?

Thanks in advance guys.

Are you using the Nintendo Zone Viewer? That particular application was shut down, but you can still access Nintendo Zone at McDonald's. Just open up Mystery Gift while in range of a McDonald's Wi-Fi spot and you'll get your gift (the trick Fun Size linked works as well ;) )

天 (Caine)

Flower Child
Years
Are you using the Nintendo Zone Viewer? That particular application was shut down, but you can still access Nintendo Zone at McDonald's. Just open up Mystery Gift while in range of a McDonald's Wi-Fi spot and you'll get your gift (the trick Fun Size linked works as well ;) )

Yeah, I think that's what it is. It's just an app that's been on my 3DS since I bought it. It doesn't say "Nintendo Zone Viewer", just "Nintendo Zone" but I'm almost certain that it's the viewer. Thank you very much for you help, I'm so looking forward to getting Hoopa tomorrow when I'm in town.

Years
Sucks for me, as I live in Australia. We don't get all these specials half of the time, or when we do, it's like already been a month or two after every other country gets them...

Nas160

Sometimes here...!
Years
Btw, this event starts today! Anybody planning on going out to McDonald's today to grab your Hoopa? :)

I got it Friday night while I was still up in PA for Thanksgiving, was able to reach the internet outside of the restaurant (wasn't hungry), and got a Hoopa for both my Alpha Sapphire and Y versions :)

I also plan to go there frequently for a while to collect all the toys <3 Yesterday I got a Groudon :P

9TzX2b5.png

I'm really loving this- going to McDonalds, getting some tasty food while getting free Pokémon and Pokémon toys on the side? This is the life {XD}

LilBueno

Boy Wonder
Years
Tried it from the parking lot, but couldn't get good enough connection. Went inside to eat some nuggets then and got two. One with crappy Defense per the Stat Checker, but hey, it's Hoopas # 4 and 5 for me so I'm not picky. If I noticed they had Pokemon toys, I would've gotten one.

Years
Sucks for me, as I live in Australia. We don't get all these specials half of the time, or when we do, it's like already been a month or two after every other country gets them...

What makes it worse is that we still haven't got our first Hoopa event yet... and we probably will have to wait until next year for it. It's so bad why we are taking so long compared to Japan (duh), Europe and the US who have already had Hoopa events.

Australians seem to be getting shafted lately, because we are the last region that will be getting Super Mystery Dungeon (it's only a day after Europe but still we are last and that sucks) and now being shafted with the Hoopa events.

Years
What makes it worse is that we still haven't got our first Hoopa event yet... and we probably will have to wait until next year for it. It's so bad why we are taking so long compared to Japan (duh), Europe and the US who have already had Hoopa events.

Australians seem to be getting shafted lately, because we are the last region that will be getting Super Mystery Dungeon (it's only a day after Europe but still we are last and that sucks) and now being shafted with the Hoopa events.

We get shafted with a lot of things hun, and not just game or movie related things. For example, Ireland and the US both have same sex marriage, Australia doesn't. The US, UK, Canada and Europe all have affordable options for Transgender* people such as myself, including the operation clinics, and yet Australia has nothing of the sort..

And i know this would be more suited for the discussion topic, but I figured I'd use that as an example to get my point across.

Back