• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

Unpopular Opinions

Years
  • Aren't we already kinda behaving like ants? Humans can be easily manipulated into doing stuff by playing into their emotions; fear being the most prominent one.

There's even an entire industry build around exploiting people's desires in order to sell them stuff.

I meant more of being more "together" as a society, liking working together for the betterment of mankind.
    You are right though, the biggest example is this pandemic.

Years
  • I almost always prefer TV size music (like TV length openings and endings for anime, which tend to be around 1.5 mins long) than full sized songs (which average around 3-5 minutes). I'll go out of my way to download TV version music over the full tracks if I can, but if not I tend to just skip to the next song when the TV portion is over and it continues. idk, I just never really like the lyrics/song much at their full length. Never seen anyone else who feels the same.

Pig

Angry ecologist
    Years
    • Age 29
    • Seen Jul 16, 2023
    Side scrolling platform games are all the same. Run to the right, avoid/kill enemies. The only differences at times are the visual aesthetics. As soon as I see the genre is "side scrolling platformer" I'm already bored of it. Every Mario game except for the 3D ones are the same, and at a certain point, even the 3D ones just become differently skinned clones of each other. Every time I've given a new one a chance, I've stopped after 5 or 6 levels because it's exactly the same as the last one I gave a chance.

I see the appeal, it just doesn't strike me.

Years
  • I don't know if this is really an unpopular opinion but the more I think about it, which is often, the more it makes my head spin. I don't think you should necessarily do what makes you happy especially if you can help your society, even though it is inevitable that no matter what we do, at some point, humanity will die out and the Earth will cease do exist.

To elaborate on this, say you become a surgeon, a very good surgeon and you have dedicated your life to getting good grades, going to medical school, the whole bit. After some time you realize you don't love what you do and you want to pursue your passion of, whatever the fuck. Even if you are miserable, you are doing good for the community and I am of the mindset that the needs of the many outweigh the needs of the few and you should feel obligated to live a miserable existence if you are able to better the lives of many.

I also think we should cherish life and do what we can to save people and extend their lives even though we are overpopulating the planet, which is tough because that will eventually lead to a decrease in quality of life for everyone, especially since we are all living longer and will keep living longer. The other part of me thinks that once you are dead, and even alive, none of it matters anyway so just do what makes you happy while you can which is a complete paradox to my previous paragraph but I believe both simultaneously?

The more I think about it the more pointless it all seems, and it is, pointless. Let's even say that... Christians are the one religion to get it right and there is a heaven! Sounds great right? Spend eternity in bliss. So what is eternity? Until the end of time? How do you quantify that? Time is a concept of humans, how do you spend eternity in bliss? It never ends? How? Honestly, the thought of infinite nothingness sounds more appealing to me than losing my mind in a never ending, never changing "eternity". At least, in my perception of death, once you die, there is nothing, you don't experience anything, which doesn't seem possible and is making my anxiety spike even typing this but at least when it happens I won't have these worries anymore.

Years
    • Seen Oct 9, 2021
    Pizza is boring. I admit Long Island NY and New Haven CT have some of the best pizza joints in the U.S, maybe even in the entire world. But pizza is just not that exciting of a food to eat imo. There are much more exciting dishes out there. I honestly rather have a decent calzone than a decent pizza.

Years
    • he/him
    • Seen Sep 7, 2021
    sweet drinks are better than sweet food.
    pizza is okay. i like it best when its bastardized with chicken alfredo.
    most japanese anime series are not gripping. (i'm so sorry please don't hate me lmao)
    you should pay for products you enjoy--whether it's games, programs, media, etc.

Years
  • I have some unpopular Harry Potter opinions.

1. Snape isn't a poor defenseless victim. When Sirius insulted him in the memory, he went for his wand first, and used what might have been an early version of Sectumsempra on James, who gets a cut on his cheek. Remus also says that he never lost an opportunity to hex James; if it had been Sirius who told Harry that, I'd be a little skeptical, but it was Remus, who seems more capable of being objective.

2. Harry and Hermione wouldn't work as a couple. Harry is the type go into every last dark corner of the universe and seek out evil just because it's evil and it's there and it needs to be vanquished. Hermione would try to stop him. Either he would stop, but would be extremely frustrated about it, or he wouldn't and Hermione would be frustrated about it.

3. I have no idea where people see evidence for Harry/Draco and Hermione/Draco. Draco has never had an interaction with either in which he wasn't rude and/or insulting if he knew it was them he was talking to.

4. Hermione/Snape: just, no. He's literally old enough to be her father, they've never interacted outside their roles as student and teacher, and he never has a kind word to say about her.

I have more, but I'll leave it here, or I'll be at this all day.

Years
  • True. Most people just boil them and what do you expect? Fry them with vegetable spice or place them in a nice soup.

Years
    • she / they
    • Seen Jan 12, 2024
    Mushrooms are the devil.

Giving gifts is better than receiving them.

Apple products are meh..

Gen Z/X is going to save our planet, not kill it.

Years
    • they/them
    • Seen Apr 19, 2024
    Mushrooms are the devil.

Giving gifts is better than receiving them.

Apple products are meh..

Gen Z/X is going to save our planet, not kill it.
    what about gen Y? :pleading_face:

Years
    • she / they
    • Seen Jan 12, 2024
    Well, yes technically I'm both Gen Y and a Millennial. I don't use straws, bring my own shopping bag, recycle, and volunteer when I can… But I still believe that we'll see this planet recovered most by our children and their children.

Years
    • they/them
    • Seen Apr 19, 2024
    Well, yes technically I'm both Gen Y and a Millennial. I don't use straws, bring my own shopping bag, recycle, and volunteer when I can… But I still believe that we'll see this planet recovered most by our children and their children.
    Last post before I stop derailing this thread ahah but Gen Y = millennials. Gen X came before, Gen Y is us, Gen Z are after us. Our children are like the gen after Z or the one after that even.

And I agree! Our children will finally be woke enough to save the world. Our generation is... not quite fully there.

Years
    • she / they
    • Seen Jan 12, 2024
    Haha fair enough, thread derailment complete! Please resume with your unpopular opinions!

I got another: the worst, derpiest, and most poorly made Pokémon (or any franchise) plushes are the best ones to own.

Duck

🦆 quack quack
    Years
    • he, they
    • Seen Feb 23, 2023
    I have some unpopular Harry Potter opinions.

- snip -

I don't disagree with anything you said, but you do realize that fanfics, headcanons and ships are more about the idea of a possible dynamic rather than actually following the fact as written, right?

In fan spaces canon is really a strong suggestion, rather than cold hard fact and a number of fanfics will go out of their way to massively change circumstances to address some of the points you made so the ship / idea can even work.

(Also, a huge part of Harry / Hermione was probably because of a combination of the common expectation - especially at the time - that "the girl" in the YA novel has to end up with one of the male leads, Ron / Hermione being possibly an even worse fit than Harry / Hermione, and good old self inserting / projecting.)

And since we're talking Harry Potter, let's go with a current take.

"Death of the author is a thing, and participation in a fandom does not mean platforming an author."

Yes, J.K. Rowling is not the greatest person and while that absolutely does sour a part of the world to me and many others, and I definitely do not plan on buying any of her merchandise, books or creative works again, that means absolutely nothing regarding fan spaces.

Fanfic, Fanart and fan communities can have a great impact on people, are a gateway for creative expression and are not necessarily platforming the author. Some fans will do that and I do agree that that's bad and we should call them out, but saying "The author is cancelled so the whole franchise is cancelled" is counter productive at best (will only turn people away from the cause) and creates a media drought at worst because people are just generally crappy and the further along we go in time the crappier past people become by hindsight.

Years
    • Seen Oct 19, 2022
    - Interstellar is the best movie ever made, and I will die on this hill.
    - There's no climate apocalypse on the way. Whatever consequences come out of global warming, human ingenuity will be more than able to mitigate them.
    - Rural life is depressing. Urban life is a million times more enjoyable.
    - The 21st century is the best time in history to be alive.

Back