• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

Chit-Chat: Welcome to the Strategies & Movesets forum for Sun & Moon!

Status
Not open for further replies.
    Years
    In addition to Adaptability Dragalge being a thing, Rock Head Tyrantrum will become a thing in the future. Why? Because of the Generation Showdown tournament handing out a Rock Head (or was it Sturdy?) Tyrunt as an entry prize. I'm pretty sure that Tyrantrum has Rock Head as its DW/Hidden Ability.

Anyway, Tyrantrum is alright in RU, but hasn't made much impact in OU because of its relatively common weaknesses. With Rock Head released, it can now use a recoil-free Head Smash as its Rock STAB instead of Stone Edge.

Potential sets:
    -Dragon Dance/Rock Polish
    -Head Smash
    -Outrage
    -Earthquake/Fire Fang
    Nature: Jolly/Adamant
    EVs: 252 Atk/4 Def/252 Spe
    Item: Life Orb/Lum Berry
    Ability: Rock Head

or
    -Head Smash
    -Outrage
    -Earthquake
    -Fire Fang
    Nature: Adamant
    Item: Choice Band

This is definitely welcome news, as it would make Tyrantrum now have a harder-hitting STAB with no drawbacks (other than the subpar accuracy). I would imagine those who receive one may breed them and then release them onto GTS and Wonder Trade.

Also, love the movesets you suggested. I could imagine it becoming a powerful threat.

KorpiklaaniVodka

KID BUU PAWAA
    Years
    In addition to Adaptability Dragalge being a thing, Rock Head Tyrantrum will become a thing in the future. Why? Because of the Generation Showdown tournament handing out a Rock Head (or was it Sturdy?) Tyrunt as an entry prize. I'm pretty sure that Tyrantrum has Rock Head as its DW/Hidden Ability.

Anyway, Tyrantrum is alright in RU, but hasn't made much impact in OU because of its relatively common weaknesses. With Rock Head released, it can now use a recoil-free Head Smash as its Rock STAB instead of Stone Edge.

Potential sets:
    -Dragon Dance/Rock Polish
    -Head Smash
    -Outrage
    -Earthquake/Fire Fang
    Nature: Jolly/Adamant
    Item: Life Orb/Lum Berry

or
    -Head Smash
    -Outrage
    -Earthquake
    -Fire Fang
    Nature: Adamant
    Item: Choice Band

I really don't see Tyrantrum becoming a thing in OU considering Tyranitar exists.

Nah

Years
    • Age 31
    • she/her, they/them
    • Online now
    It's actually the Battle of Hoenn competition that's giving away the Rock Head Tyrunt, though unfortunately it seems to be Japan only =( At least we'll be able to get our hands on them soon after because the Japaneses will inevitably breed and trade them off.

....if you guys get one breed it and send one to me 'k?

You could also run a Choice Scarf set on it.

Years
    Yay, Rock Head Tyrant will eventually be a thing!

And to the guy two posts above me, I know that Tyranitar is OU, but (and not that this will really make a difference) Tyrantrum is arguably way more original. >_>

Years
    Well, They have different roles. T-tar works more as a defensive poke, Being more effective on sand teams too.
    On the other side, Tyrantrum looks more like a offensive poke. Being able to wreck lots of stuff, And being able to revenge kill with a Scarf. It's speed it's not too bad, You can call it decent. And Head smash is a dangerous attack, Add the STAB and then you have something scary for using.
    It does have Dragon Dance, too, but you'd have to plan that extra carefully to make it work. Tyranitar has several different sets it can run, but it too has the same amount of weaknesses (but better Special Defense and HP).

Also, I was checking Smogon forums today. And everybody is making contrary Serperior cores.
    Really? I'll have to check that out.

Responses in bold in the quote.

SnowpointQuincy

Seeker of FRIEND CODES
    Years
    Signed up for Battle of Hoenn. Looks like Americans can get a Tyrunt too. Not sure everyone will though. "earn a spot in the rankings" could mean do well, or just play enough to get a proper score.

Now just to figure out the Meta-Game for this tourny. Nothing but Salamence all the way down.

Xairmo

G-String Grandmas, tonight on Sick, Sad World
    Years
    Signed up for Battle of Hoenn. Looks like Americans can get a Tyrunt too. Not sure everyone will though. "earn a spot in the rankings" could mean do well, or just play enough to get a proper score.

Now just to figure out the Meta-Game for this tourny. Nothing but Salamence all the way down.
    Where do you register - I have a Trainer Club account and everything but I can't find the rgistration page anywhere.

skyburial

Orca Hype
    Years
    Just took a look at the eligible pokes and know what team I'm going to run. Suffice to say, it looks like I'll be spending a lot of time breeding in the next week.

At least I've got 3 mons already built for this team.

KostK2Boss

Europe Confirmed!!!
    Years

Thankfully, Europe got it as well. I've never tried a Battle Competition before and Rock Head Tyrantrum is pretty much the only reason I'm going through with this, 'cause I've been waiting for this ability ever since Serebii revealed it. According to the GL site, you only need to participate in 3 matches, so you might not even have to win any of them (though I would try to actually win the first few matches just to be on the safe side).

I just looked through my Boxes of EV-trained Pokemon to see which ones fit the criteria and just threw them all into the Battle Box, not the best team-building proccess, but it should do. And yes, Mega Salamence is going to be everywhere, seeing how there will be no Rotoms, Heatrans or Mamoswines to bully it. Best way to deal with him is to revenge-kill him before he sweeps your entire team (burning him doesn't really do much).

destinedjagold

I do not exist.
    Years
    • Seen May 26, 2024

Hm...
    Participation Gift
    Qualified participants in the Battle of Hoenn Online Competition will receive a Tyrunt with a Hidden Ability! To get Tyrunt, competitors must play at least three battles and earn a place in the rankings.
    link

Welp, I didn't see the "earn a place in the rankings" part when I was signing up, so eh... I'm dropping from the competition then and just wait for someone to trade me one. xD

[Eevee: Protean]
    ...wat

[Snivy line: Unnerve (#RIPContrary)]
    OMG NO!
    NO!
    NO!
    NOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO!

Last edited:

Nah

Years
    • Age 31
    • she/her, they/them
    • Online now
    Idk, that list could be fake. How're Megas supposed to have Hidden abilities? And Chansey with Shell Armor? Really?

KostK2Boss

Europe Confirmed!!!
    Years
    Welp, I didn't see the "earn a place in the rankings" part when I was signing up, so eh... I'm dropping from the competition then and just wait for someone to trade me one. xD
    If you have participated (not neccessarily won) in at least 3 matches, you should already have a place in the rankings, it will just be something like 999999th place. At least, that's what I think they mean from the way it's written there. So why trade something valuable for it, when the competition practically gives it to you for free?

As for the Abilities leak linked above, I am very VERY skeptical. Smogon almost seems to treat it like it's official (and they're usually very anal about people posting fake information), but some of the HAs listed are WAY too OP and some others don't make sense flavor-wise. Also, there's the fact that Mega Evolutions right now can only have one Ability.

Dark Azelf

☽𖤐☾𓃶𐕣
    Years
    • Seen yesterday
    ummmm, you do realise that thread is about as real as Michael Jacksons nose, my ex's personality or sri's ween0r?

Years
    If these re-doing of Hidden Abilities are true, then that's really going to change how a lot of Pokémon are usable. Maybe they got ahold of people saying that this generation didn't have enough changes to competitive battling since so few Pokémon were introduced?

...Then again, this all could just be a faux.

skyburial

Orca Hype
    Years
    A lot of these would really change the meta. And I don't think that's a bad thing - Sap Sipper Quagsire would definitely jump up a tier or two, Nidoking and Nidoqueen would see more usage.

It would be neat to have an event for Protean Mew, talk about a threat. Maybe my Naughty Mew would be a bit more useful if it had that ability.

Years
    ^ Oh my goodness, Mew with Protean?! Since Greninja was banned, that would probably end up being banned just as quickly as Mega Gengar, Kangaskhan and Salamence did.

skyburial

Orca Hype
    Years
    On the subject of the 12:00 train south to Bantown, Nidoking/queen with Parental Bond would have the same fate. Holy Moses, imagine having the Special equivalent of a Mega Kanga.

Years
    On the subject of the 12:00 train south to Bantown, Nidoking/queen with Parental Bond would have the same fate. Holy Moses, imagine having the Special equivalent of a Mega Kanga.

Well with that, I think it's easier to wall special attackers than it'd be with Mega Kangaskhan, since the Nidos don't have any good special Attack booster (if any at all, if I'm not mistaken).

Status
    Not open for further replies.
    Back