• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

What’s your favorite starter of each (main series) region?

StCooler

Mayst thou thy peace discover.
    Years
    • Seen yesterday
    Kanto: Bulbasaur
    Johto: Chikorita
    Hoenn: Mudkip
    Sinnoh: Turtwig
    Unova: Snivy
    Kalos: Chespin
    Alola: Rowlet
    Galar: Scorbunny

I realise I am a Grass-type fan lol.

PageEmp

No money puns. They just don’t make cents.
    Years
    1: Charmander but I like them all. I recently gave Squirtle a shot and it's doing surprising and extremely well.
    2: Ice fang, I mean Totodile.
    3: Mudkip
    4: I like them all equally. Maybe the remakes will make me change my mind.
    5: Oshawott
    6: Froakie
    7: Popplio
    8: I like them all equally.

Take a wild guess which of the three starter types are my favourite.

Years
    • Any pronoun
    • Online now
    Kanto: Squirtle
    Johto: Totodile
    Hoenn: Treecko
    Sinnoh: Piplup
    Kalos: Froakie
    Alola: Litten (Solely for Torracat. Would be Rowlet otherwise.)
    Galar: Scorbunny (Edges out Sobble by a hair.)

icycatelf

Alex
    Years
    Including Basic, Stage 1, and Stage 2:

Kanto: Squirtle/Wartortle/Charizard/Mega Charizard X/G-Max Charizard
    Johto: Chikorita/Quilava/Meganium
    Hoenn: Mudkip/Grovyle/Sceptile/Mega Sceptile
    Sinnoh: Piplup/Monferno/Torterra
    Unova: Oshawott/Dewott/Samurott
    Kalos: Fennekin/Braixen/Greninja
    Alola: Litten/Torracat/Decidueye
    Galar: Sobble/Thwackey/Inteleon/G-Max Cinderace

EDIT: Added Megas and G-Max too.

Last edited:

faf

[b][color=#1acc14]Queen of Dragons[/color][/b]
    Years
    Alrighty:
    Gen 1: Bulbasaur
    Gen 2: Totodile
    Gen 3: Treecko
    Gen 4: Turtwig
    Gen 5: Oshawott (I do like as well Snivy tho)
    Gen 6: Froakie
    Gen 7: Popplio
    Gen 8: Sobble

Oops, not a single Fire-type is my favourite. But some Fire-types I love are Fennekin and Litten. But many years ago this whole list would have been flooded with Water-types.

Years
    I have a tradition of always picking the grass type starter ever-since I fell in love with Gen 4 and the Turtwig line when I was really young though some of the grass type starters wouldn't be my first pick (especially if I dislike their final stages) if I didn't have this tradition key example would be Chesnaught.

As its been 4 gens since my first and fav gen I have been considering switching this tradition especially as I really like Scorbunny and though I dislike the final stages of the gen 8 starters for different reasons I would pick Rillaboom or Cinderace if I had to have a final stage starter from gen 8.
    On this list for simplicity if I like a starter line I will say the name of the final stage in the line since I would evolve the Pokemon fully in a playthrough but if there are starters that at some point in the line I don't like I may explain why a little bit and be more specific of the ones I would pick.

Kanto – Ivysaur - Bulbasaur is kinda cute in the Pokémon art style and in the anime Ash's Bulbasaur is funny and cool but I am not too fond of this Pokémon and its line in general (expect for Ivysaur which I kinda like) compared to many other starters, Venusaur especially I don't like as its face is off putting and when I hear its based off a frog it doesn't help the design for me though as its bulky its kinda cool as its looks like a strong Pokémon so maybe the more classic spirits make it look cooler and may boost my appreciation of the Pokémon.

Johto – Meganium – I am really loving this line so far (I currently have a Bayleef named Pear) as I have mentioned a few times 😊, if I had to pick another Pokémon I would pick either Cyndaquil as its really cute and cool (and not evolve it) or Feraligatr as it looks epic 😊

Hoenn – Sceptile - Torchic is super cute, I really like Combusken but I really dislike Blaziken a bit less so now but its still not a Starter Pokémon I would want to have, the whole Mudkip line has been growing on me, I kinda like Mudkip as its pretty cute and funny, Marshtomp a little and Swampert have grown on me so the whole line is pretty cool 😊

Sinnoh – Torterra 😊 The whole Turtwig line is amazing 😊

Unova – Serperior – I used to have an issue with the gen 5 starters, I felt little attraction to them especially the second and final stages (more so Servine and Dewott are the exceptions to that) though taking time getting used to them recently and when looking at the starters that followed I am starting to feel intrigued by Serperior who looks like a boss so going through gen 5 now I am looking forward to getting one though Snivy doesn't interest me too much as everyone says its snobby which is clear in the design through its expression which I don't like.

Kalos – Chespin – Chesnaught really hurt this line for me and I have mentioned why I dislike Chesnaught on this forum before, if I were to re pick surprisingly I would pick Greninja even though I used to hate this Pokémon cause its op and very popular but again the design helps and I am starting to appreciate its sort of triangle head that looks very cool and defensive I know may be a weird reason but its basically the only thing I can say for this Pokémon and I am mixed about Frogadier, the Fennekin line is my least fav out of that gen especially Delphox.

Alola – Decidueye - The whole line is amazing 😊, Litten is kinda cool with its fierce look and toxic motif though I am mixed about Torracat, Popplio is cute and a cool Pokémon idea but I don't think about it too often if that makes sense especially compared to the Rowlett line which I love and is one of my fav starter lines up there with the Turtwig and Chikorita line, Brionne is strange but has grown on me a lot and funny as it may be Primarina is starting to look a cool and bulky Pokémon to me that's elegant if that's the right word at the same time which is interesting.

Galar – Thwackey - I may get used to Rillaboom with more time but so far Thwackey is the only one in that line I really like, I also really like Scorbunny and I am getting more fond of Raboot though liking Cinderace will take more time and I really like Drizzile.

I know its a lot of detail sorry, I wanted to get my thoughts out on the starters that I have something to say about in one chunk here , in other starter lists I shouldn't have to go through as much detail as to why I love or dislike various Starter Pokemon :)

Take care everyone and stay positive hugs :)

Regards - Declan Sargent

Squirtlenator

[color=#cecfc4]Hasta La Vista, Baby[/color]
    Years
    Subjectively
    Objectively​

Kanto: Squirtle
    Bulbasaur​
    Cyndaquil​
    Hoenn: Mudkip
    Mudkip​
    Chimchar​
    Unova: Oshawott
    Tepig​
    Kalos: Froakie + Squirtle
    Fennekin + Bulbasaur​
    Alola: Popplio
    Popplio​
    Galar: Sobble
    Scorbunny​

yeah, I like the water type...

Last edited:

SawkTheWarrior

SW-7387-7525-9201
    Years
    Kanto : Charmander
    Johto : Cyndaquill
    Hoenn : Mudkip
    Sinnoh : Chimchar
    Unova : Tepig
    Kalos : Froakie
    Alola : Litten
    Galar : non existent, never played the game

Years
    • Seen yesterday
    Kanto: Bulbasaur (although I love the others too)
    Hoenn: I like them all equally
    Sinnoh: Piplup (although I love Chimchar too)
    Alola: Litten

Years
    • Seen Jun 28, 2021
    Kanto: Bulbasaur (Squirtle close second)
    Johto: Cyndaquil (Totodile close second)
    Unova: Oshawott (Not a fan of the final evolution though)
    Alola: Rowlett

Last edited:

punishedfelix

Banned
    Years
    • they
    • now
    • Seen Jul 6, 2021
    Mine are:

Kanto: Bulbasaur
    Johto: Chikorita
    Sinnoh: Turtwig
    Kalos: Fennekin, but i dont really care for them.
    Alola: Rowlett, but I like all of them (probably my favorite set)
    Galar: I really dont like any of them

As you can see, I really like grass types hehe. My favorite starter is probably Treecko, followed by Rowlett and Chikorita. GAME FREAK letting my main man Chikorita down for so long makes me cry

Years
    • Seen Apr 16, 2021
    Really interesting discussion! I decided to count all the answers to see what the Pokemon community thinks is the greatest starter.

If I have counted correctly, this is the favorite starters according to the Pokemon Community:

Kanto: An easy win for Bulbasaur
    Johto: Chikorita, closely followed by Totodile
    Hoenn: Treecko, just ahead of Mudkip
    Sinnoh: Piplup, closely followed by Turtwig
    Unova: Snivy ahed of Oshawott
    Kalos: Froakie dominates
    Alola: Close race with Popplio the winner just ahed of the other two
    Galar: Sobble just ahead of Scorbunny

I was actually really surprised by the results for a couple of reasons:

1. Chikorita is the favorite starter in Johto. I had always thought that Chikorita was one of the most hated pokemon since the gen 2 games was so unfair against grass types. Nice to see so many people like it.
    2. Charmander is the least popular kanto-starter. Probably the most well-known starter there is? But still far behind Bulbasaur and Squirtle in this ranking.
    3. Almost no one likes fire types. The fire type did not win in any region and it was only close second in Alola and Galar. I wonder why?

Years
    Kanto: Bulbasaur, I feel like it is the most versatile.

Johto: Cyndaquil, best design for me and the other two feel pretty weak.

Hoenn: Torchic, Blaziken is one of my favorite Mons but I usually pick Mudkip because it rolls the region.

Sinnoh: Chimchar, discount Blaziken line but still better than the others.

Unova: Tepig, dumpster bin Blaziken but the starters in this region are fairly dog shit.

Kalos: Froakie, only decent choice.

Alola: Litten, emo bird and singing seel thing don't do it for me.

Galar: Grookey, honestly, probably my favorite designed base stage starter and I love Rillaboom. Great movepool, good stats, and I really like the drum motif, an excellent line, besides Thwackey.

no matter what other starters we choose, everyone likes scorbunny

No.

Years
    • Seen Jan 7, 2022
    Kanto- Bulbasaur
    Johto- Totodile
    Hoenn- Treecko
    Sinnoh- Chimchar
    Unova- Oshawatt
    Kalos- Froakie
    Alola- Rowlet
    Galar- Grookey