• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

What’s your favorite starter of each (main series) region?

Years
    • she / they
    • Seen Jan 12, 2024
    Aw, this is tough! I love some starters but hate their evolutions, and vice versa.

Kanto: Bulbasaur
    Johto: Totodile
    Hoenn: Torchic
    Sinnoh: Turtwig
    Unova: Snivy
    Kalos: Fennekin
    Alola: Rowlet
    Galar: Sobble

Years
    • Seen Nov 25, 2022
    Gen 1/Kanto: Squirtle
    Gen 2/Johto: Very tough to choose, but I will have to go with Cyndaquil
    Gen 3/Hoenn: Mudkip
    Gen 4/Sinnoh: Turtwig
    Gen 5/Unova: Oshawott
    Gen 6/Kalos: Chespin
    Gen 7/Alola: Litten
    Gen 8/Galar: Scorbunny

Got three fire, three water, and two grass.

Years
    • Seen Jan 1, 2023
    Bulbasaur, Chikorita, Torchic, Piplup, Oshawott, Fennekin, Rowlet. I honestly don't have a pick for the 8th gen as I don't care for any of them.

Last edited:

Palamon

Silence is Purple
    Years
  • Kanto: I actually can't honestly pick a favorite from these three, they all are good, and I love all three. But if I had to say which one I'd lean towards the most of the three is Bulbasaur. But I don't love one more than the other, to be honest.

Johto: Always Chikorita. Compared to the other two, it's softer and sweeter looking, so I've always loved Chikorita more than Cyndaquil and Totodile.

Hoenn: Treecko is my favorite Pokemon of all time, and always will be, so I don't think I need to explain this one at all.

Sinnoh: Chimchar, and it's purely because of the anime and Ash's Chimchar's character development, to be perfectly honest. Turtwig used to be my favorite, but I honestly think how the anime showed Chimchar's progression as a Pokemon just made me lean more towards it as a favorite.

Unova: Oshawott. It's a goofy little otter, what's not to love? Dewott is also one of my favorite Pokemon.

Kalos: Fennekin, but I really don't have much to say about it because I found the Kalos starters to be a sad disappointment. I think Kalos was the game I ended up abandoning my starter in...

Alola: easily Litten, I like cats, although Rowlet is still p cool, I'm just not as enamored with as everyone else is. While I find Incineroar being based off a wresler not that great, it doesn't deter Litten for me.

Galar: Scorbunny, easily, I love rabbits. I don't know why people don't like Cinderace that much, I personally loved it and used it a lot in battle.

That's all I have to say, though.

Years
    • Seen May 6, 2021
    Love this idea, here's my favorites:

Kanto- Bulbasaur(love the whole line!)

Johto- Cyndaquil(favorite starter and line of all time...Typhlosion is my favorite, in case you guys couldn't tell).

Hoenn- Treecko is my favorite starter, BUT favorite final stage is Blaziken because he's a straight up boss!

Sinnoh- Piplup is my favorite starter but I prefer the Turtwig line as a whole(that's why I used it on my first Platinum to play through).

Unova- Oshawott; this is actually my favorite water starter line of all time. I struggle to understand why it doesn't get more love.

Kalos- Froakie line is def my favorite, but I think part of that is that the other two leave a lot to be desired.

Alola- Rowlett(love the whole line!)

Galar- Grookey(Riboot is way cooler than Thwackey, and Cynderace is cool, but Rillaboom is prob my favorite Galar Pokémon).

Years
  • Kanto: Squirtle
    All 3 lines got cute initial forms. Ivysaur I like and Venusaur has always been a bit meh to me.
    Charmeleon & Wartortle are meh to me to. Used to like charizard, but I started disliking it because its flippin everywhere lol
    Blastoise is cool. Bit of a tie between squirtle & bulbasaur lines for me I guess, but I'll go with Squirtle

Johto: Chikorita
    This should need no explanation =p

Hoenn: Mudkip
    Torchic line & Treecko line are just weird to me. Mudkip is cute and Swampert is cool (although also still kinda weird looking)

Sinnoh: Piplup
    I don't like the chimchar line. Turtwig line is okay. Piplup is super cute and empoleon is a badass

Tepig line is decent. Oshawott line I keep forgetting even exists xD Snivy line all the way for that majesctic Serperior.

I hate greninja & frogadier even if Froakie ain't that bad. Chespin and it's line are meh. Fennekin is super adorable and unlike most people I like the evolutions too.

Alola: Litten
    tough choice. I love Litten & Torracat but dislike Incineroar. Whereas the entire rowlet line is good. Suppose I'd still go with the Litten line I guess.
    Popplio line I've never used as a starter lol.

Galar: Grookey.
    I dislike the Sobble line. Scorbunny line isn't bad, but I prefer the Grookey line over it.

Allen303

A warrior who has lost his ability to fight, is on
    Years
  • I generally choose water starters here 's list
    #1 squirtle/blastoise
    #2 totodile/fraligator
    #3 mudkip/swampart
    #4 chimchar/infernape
    #5 oshwott/summrotte
    #6 chespin/chesnaught/squirtle/mega blastoise
    #7 popilo/primarina
    I evolved them to max and obviously squirtle/blastoise is my favourite stater
    I generally like rivalry that's why I choose water more

Years
  • I generally choose water starters here 's list
    #1 squirtle/blastoise
    #2 totodile/fraligator
    #3 mudkip/swampart
    #4 chimchar/infernape
    #5 oshwott/summrotte
    #6 chespin/chesnaught/squirtle/mega blastoise
    #7 popilo/primarina
    I evolved them to max and obviously squirtle/blastoise is my favourite stater
    I generally like rivalry that's why I choose water more

Looots of water starters here, they are really awesome tbh. What do you think of Froakie and Piplup?

kpac_xjinx

XJinX
    Years
  • Oo
    Here it is!
    Kanto: Charmander(love it's design & flame on it's tail; can also evolve into Charizard & Mega Charizard X)
    Johto: Cyndaquil(don't why, but love it!)
    Hoenn: Treecko(it's attitude in anime's so cool!)
    Sinnoh: Turtwig(so strong in anime, especially it's head!)
    Unova: Oshawott(COOL!)
    Kalos: Froakie(EXCELLENT design like Charmander; can evolve into Greninja)
    Alola: Rowlet(chose it in a hack, love it since then; & it's final evolution is Decidueye!)
    Galar: Grookey(lot better than other two for me, & a cool design)
    Mostly, the reason was a cool design or the final evolution, though in case of Galar, it's the only one I genuinely love much!

Last edited:
    Years
  • Kanto: Bulbasaur, but I don't mind Squirtle. Just get that annoying fire lizard away from me.
    Johto: All of them, to be honest. I can't really pick one over the other.
    Hoenn: Mudkip. It was second Gen III Pokémon I've ever encountered, after getting Kirlia toy, and I love it to this day. Treecko and Torchic are cool, but they can't beat my first experience with Hoenn.
    Sinnoh: Piplup right now, but I don't mind Turtwig and Chimchar. Depending on my mood, I might even switch Piplup and Turtwig.
    Unova: Tepig was my first Unova starter and I love it, but Oshawott and especially Dewott really grew on me. So I would put Tepig and Dewott on the first place. But I have to say that I don't like their final evolutions.
    Kalos: I don't mind any of them, but none of them stands out above the others. My initial pick was Froakie, but the community made me hate Greninja and Ash-Greninja so much that I can barely pick it nowadays. So I'll go with Fennekin, since there are no other interesting Fire-types in Kalos.
    Alola: Rowlet. How could you even choose anything else? Just look at this cute owl. Popplio and Litten aren't bad, but I don't like their final evolutions.
    Galar: Please, no. Grookey is cute, I guess? But please don't force me to think about Galar starters and those abominations, also known as their final evolutions.

budube

Hi I'm Cube
    Years
    • Age 24
    • She / They
    • Seen Apr 30, 2024
    Kanto: It was Squirtle at first, but tbh I kinda like Bulbasaur more now.

Johto: Personally I find this one the most boring set of starters. If I had to choose one it'd be Chikorita, tho

Hoenn: I LIKE ALL THREE. Picking Mudkip tho.

Sinnoh: Just like with Hoenn, I like all three, but Piplup is my favorite starter in general.

Unova: Tepig kinda grew on me, it was Snivy at first. Would be Oshawott if we are not considering the rest of the line, though I find Samurott a bit awkward.

Alola: Litten if we don't consider final forms, because I hate Incineroar. If we are counting the whole line, it'd be Popplio.

Galar: This is the second worst set of starters imo. Scorbunny is the cutest one, but I don't like Cinderace either, so just as it is with Oshawott and Litten, it's this one if we don't consider the final form, Sobble if we do.

yamibakura95

Shadow Gamer
    Years
    • Seen Apr 11, 2022
    kanto: charmander ( i would pick bulbasaur but venusaur is a huge turnoff for me)
    johto: cyndaquil
    hoen: mudkip
    sinoh: chimchar

Figment

Professional Falinks Enjoyer.
    Years
  • Ordered in order of preference
    Kanto: Squirtle, Bulbasaur, Charmander
    Johto: Cyndaquil, Totodile, Chikorita
    Hoenn: Treecko, Mudkip, Torchic
    Sinnoh: Piplup, Turtwig, Chimchar
    Unova: Oshawott, Snivy, Tepig
    Kalos: Froakie, Chespin, Fennekin
    Alola: Rowlet, Popplio, Litten
    Galar: Sobble, Scorbunny, Grookey

Years
    • Age 23
    • She/Her
    • Canada
    • Seen Apr 15, 2024
    Kanto: Bulbasaur - I absolutely love Bulbasaur, certainly one of my favourite Kanto pokemon.

Johto: Chikorita - Chikorita absolutely takes the cake, though I genuinely love all of them.

Hoenn: Torchic - Torchic and Treeko are essentially tied, as Blaziken and Sceptile are my favourite starers. Hoenn starters are my all-time favourites, as I adore the Mudkip line as well.

Sinnoh: Piplup - Once more I love them all, though Piplup edges the other two out. I would confess that I do slightly prefer the Chimchar line overall, however.

Unova: Oshawott - Snivy is an immensely close second, I love both lines so much. I'm neutral in regards to the Tepig line.

Kalos: Fennekin - No competition here, Fennekin blows the other two out of the water. I adore all 3 lines.

Alola: Popplio - Not big on any of these three, I much prefer their evolutions. Popplio is undeniably cute, though.

Galar: Sobble - I like all 3 of them, though Sobble has the best basic-stage water type design in the past few generations, in my opinion. Although, I detest its evolutionary family overall.

Last edited:

Duck

🦆 quack quack
    Years
    • he, they
    • Seen Feb 23, 2023
    For Kanto and Johto the answers are Charmander and Cyndaquil hands down.

For Hoenn, it's Mudkip, closely followed to Torchic.

For Sinnoh, I actually really like all three, but I guess I like Turtwig a little bit more.

For Unova, I kinda dislike everybody more or less equally, although I guess Oshawott wins slightly here.

For Kalos, it's also kinda meh. I like Chespin but not its evolutions, although I guess Froakie is ok-ish throughout all the evolutions.

For Alola, I hate the middle stages but Cat Daddy and Nerd Bird are awesome <3

For Galar, I guess Rillaboom grew on me? Like, I don't love any of the choices but I guess Grookey / Rillaboom is the cooler choice imo.

Years
    • Age 34
    • Seen yesterday
    Charmander, Cyndaquil, Treecko, Piplup, Snivy, Fennekin, Rowlet, Sobble

Never played gen 4 so just picked Piplup because I like Empoleon the best. Same with Gen 8 but Sobble was my favorite first stage.

Cyndaquil is my favorite starter.

My least favorite for each gen
    Squirtle, Chikorita, Torchic, Turtwig, Oshawott, Chespin, Popplio, Grookey

Tepig is probably my least favorite starter for gen 5 based solely on first stage but I like Emboar a lot. Chespin is definitely based on later stages.

Last edited:

pkmin3033

Kanto - Kinda fluctuates but on the whole I'd say Bulbasaur. Blastoise is kind of a letdown and I'm a bit tired of Charizard tbh.
    Johto - Hrmn...probably Cyndaquil, but only just. Totodile is adorable and energetic and one of my favourite water starters.
    Hoenn- Torchic, despite its shitty final evolution.
    Sinnoh- Piplup is obviously the best. Turtwig is still cool though. Chimchar is a) a monkey, and b) a fighting type, so it can go and die.
    Unova - Snivy is the only one that I don't immediately want to murder...but I still cannot stand it.
    Kalos - Fennekin although I hate myself for it. But anything is better than Chespin's hideously mediocre line and Froakie. Greninja's tongue is an abomination.
    Alola - Obviously Rowlet...although I do like Litten.
    Galar - Scorbunny, naturally. Grookey is a disgusting monkey, and Sobble's evolutionary line freaks me the fuck out.

Years
    • Seen Oct 9, 2021
    Kanto: Squirtle
    Johto: Totodile
    Hoenn: Treecko
    Sinnoh: Turtwig
    Kalos: Froakie
    Alola: Litten
    Galar: Hate them all

Litten was the first non water/grass one that was my favorite of the 3 and that's simply because 1.) I love Litten in the Sun and Moon anime and 2.) I don't care for Popplios and Rowletts final EVOs. Popplio is one of the cutest Mon ever. I love it. But I can't stand what it evolves into. As far as Gen 8 goes I really want to have a favorite there but I just don't care for any of them. Gun to my head, I'd go with Grookey, but he just feels like Chespin part 2, and I wasn't really a Chespin fan.

Last edited:
    Back