• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

TV What are you currently watching?

VisionofMilotic

Ekans' attack continues!
Years
  • The mystery series Columbo on Amazon prime. Man, this is a blast from the past. This show is of the generation that my parents grew up with, and I have memories as a child of my mom holding onto and watching well-worn copies of favorite episodes she had recorded as the show rerun over the years. It's good to see Detective Columbo again now that I am adult. He is such a wonderful character. A short, unassuming detective in a shabby coat with a disarming, pleasant, mild manner, sheepish even. However, his instincts are razor sharp, and his persona as a bumbling cop is his great weapon, the criminals are always underestimating him and he gives them the rope they need to hang themselves. Peter Falk plays the role pitch perfect. You can see him working things out, and those wheels in his head turning even when he is saying nothing, or the way he reads the dialogue suddenly sounds threatening, he has also has great comedic timing. The situations also get funny as he is always investigating the crimes of the rich and famous, and he is such a fish out of water there. While he always does his job, and arrests the guilty party I like that he is personable with the murderer, and will usually show some sympathy once he's caught you. Even though he can't let you get away with murder, he doesn't relish taking anyone to prison because he can perhaps understand the human shortcomings that caused the villain to do what they did. I feel as though the dynamics between the law inforcement and the culprit may be based on the investigator Porfiry Petrovich from Dostoevsky's Crime and Punishment.

It's good writing all around because the suspects are usually not one-dimensional characters either, and there are some great guest stars. Last night I watched the episode Any Old Port in a Storm. Donald Pleasance is such an amusing antagonist for his artistocratic, biting wit and histrionics. His response to being served a bad wine is classic, "AN EXCITING MEAL HAS BEEN RUINED BY THE PRESENCE OF THIS... LIQUID FILTH!"

Also the actress Julie Harris who played the secretary in this one isn't even a character you really needed for the story, but her being in it just added an interesting fact that made the relationships more complex, and she is also a good actress.

Orion☆

The Whole Constellation
    Years
  • Two wonderful series!

-Baymax!. Oh my gosh, this series of shorts is so damn ADORABLE. It's heart-melting to see the titular robot baby try to help people in need. No spoilers, but the final episode made both my mom and I cry tears of joy. ;u;

-Star Trek: Strange New Worlds. I went into this one with low expectations because I'm not that much of a Trekkie and its parent series Discovery bored me, but I was pleasantly surprised by it! I'm on episode 2, and let's say, I'm a convert now. I also admit much of it has to do with Captain Pike himself; god, I had seen him before, but I didn't expect him to be so good. (He's got me absolutely weak on the knees, oh god.) The supporting cast doesn't hold up as strongly, but I do like Spock and Number One and find young Uhura adorable as well. I kinda hope it doesn't go downhill like Star Wars has been as of late. (And maybe this series will serve as a catalyst to give Discovery another chance, or at least watch S1 to see another hot older Captain ehuehuehuehue)

.hack

skunkape
    Years
  • I just finished the most recent season of The Boys!
    Along with Stranger Things the two best current shows out atm imo!!

Last edited:
    Years
    • she/her
    • Seen May 23, 2023
    I finished watching Heartstopper yesterday. I liked it a lot and only wish I had watched it earlier! Will definitely be watching the next seasons when they come out

Orion☆

The Whole Constellation
    Years
  • On episode 8 of Strange New Worlds now and God, if I didn't mean it when I said I was a convert last week, I definitely do now. It's so, so good. There might be a few crew members I dislike, but I love that everyone has time to shine. My opinions on the characters haven't changed that much; if anything, they have solidified. Oh Captain, my Captain! ❤️

My mom and I have also started watching ST: Enterprise, but we've put that on hold until we finish SNW. It's a rewatch for her, so she's introducing me to the motions. From the first two-parter story though, I... can't say I like it as much as SNW. I thought I was gonna simp for this Captain as well, but I can't stomach the way he talks quite yet. Maybe it will change with time, but I don't see it becoming a favourite series. The music is excellent though - especially that ear worm of an opening theme!

The last one is Becoming Elizabeth, which I'm up to date with. I love historical dramas, but I was always wary of the ones made by Starz - and this is no exception. It has the blessing of being one of the most historically accurate series on some counts, but tonally, it just feels... wrong. A strange bright side, however, is that it actually made me more interested in the future Queen Mary I's story than on Elizabeth's! Bella Ramsey as Jane Grey is good too; she was great in GoT, so I'm not surprised I like her performance here as well. That kid will go far.

.hack

skunkape
    Years
  • I've been trying my best to give Umbrella Academy a fair shake as I kept getting it reccomended to me, but watched almost the entire first season and not really doing it for me still.

Years
  • Finished 3rd season of Money Heist. I love these evil mastermind having surprising answer to every possible scenario stories and Money Heist is pretty solid watch so far.

pkmin3033

I'm in the middle of season 9 of Supernatural at the moment, I've been watching one episode a day since the start of the year. I'm...still not sure how I feel about it, honestly. It's given me a lot of laughs, but the entire Leviathan arc is the worst thing I've seen in a TV drama outside of a Star Trek series, and there are a few very annoying recurring plot elements/characters I wish they'd just...kill off, already. If I see the Ghost Facers one more time I will scream. It also feels like it hasn't really moved past the "Monster of the Week" structure it had in the first season, and I much prefer the wider plot arc than these one-off episodes which seem to comprise about 75% of each season. It's bloated, in other words. But there's enough in the bloat to keep me invested, even if sometimes it drives me insane.

I'm also watching Naruto Kai, which I'm kinda embarrassed to admit that I'm actually enjoying a lot more than I thought I was going to. I don't think I could watch the uncut version of the show with the filler and padding, but seeing it condensed like this has helped me to appreciate the character development and surprising amount of depth some of the characters have. I don't even mind the main trio that much. Honestly the only characters I dislike are Konohomaru and that one guy who just never stops fucking eating, and even he got a great self-sacrifice moment when chasing after Sasuke that I appreciated despite hating him with every fiber of my being. It's not a great show, but it's fine as long as I don't watch too much of it at once; I'm only watching a couple of episodes a week. They're horrendously long - the last one was two freakin' hours - so yeah.

Last edited:

Orion☆

The Whole Constellation
    Years
  • Report!

Last two episodes of SNW left me quite... dissatisfied. No full spoilerinos, but someone I liked died a stupid death and the season finale was hard to swallow because of how much Captain Pike suffered during it. I hope they won't keep these threads hanging in the next season, but still, the series as a whole is a stay for me and I'll be eagerly waiting for a second season. I'll just skip over the last two episodes on a rewatch.

Then... I also started watching Star Trek: Discovery. The season 1 opener was a chore to get through... but oh my, how much did the series improve once Jason Isaacs as Captain Lorca came into the picture! Again, I had seen pictures of him in that series before and I know of the twist regarding the character, but if anything, it makes seeing him even more fascinating (on top of the fact he's just ridiculously hot.) He is the glue that is holding the season together for me, because otherwise I find much of the Discovery's crew obnoxious (and the make-up jobs disgusting. Sorry Saru, I can't get behind those exposed glands.) As of now I don't know if'll stick around once Lorca leaves at the end of Season 1, but Season 2 brings in Pike (!!!), Spock and Number One before their turn in SNW, so we'll see.

Lastly, I also started rewatching Star Wars: Visions. I forgot how much I liked the many reimaginings the SW universe got in these shorts! My favourite episodes are the first two ("Ronin" and "Tatooine Rhapsody") but I can say I liked most of them, really. Only ones that didn't really convince me were the Studio Trigger shorts, but that's a matter of personal preference.

.hack

skunkape
    Years
  • I just watched the final few weeks of Neighbours. Rumours that I cried my eyes out are completely unsubstantiated.

did they kill off the toad man?

Spoiler:

Orion☆

The Whole Constellation
    Years
  • On Star Trek: Discovery S2.

It's always a pleasure to see Pike and God does he look good in the Disco's uniform, but there's nothing that can fill the void Lorca (and Jason himself) left. 💔

For that matter, there isn't enough Pike either. If that continues, I'm dropping out before this season is over. If it improves, I'm dropping out in the season finale anyway because Pike, too, leaves.

(As a serious aside related to the franchise, Nichelle Nichols, the original Uhura, passed away today. May she rest in peace.)

.hack

skunkape
    Years
  • Ha!!!

Spoiler:

ahhh I guess happy endings is the easiest way to go! I haven't seen any for YEARS and the toady guy is pretty much all I remember at this point haha.

Years
  • ahhh I guess happy endings is the easiest way to go! I haven't seen any for YEARS and the toady guy is pretty much all I remember at this point haha.

Well...

Spoiler:

Years
    • Seen today
    I'm excited for the end of Better Call Saul within the coming weeks, although I enjoyed it so much that it's almost bittersweet.

Back