• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

Music What do you think about The Weeknd Now?!

Years
  • He honestly sucks now he basically looks no different than those other black rappers like Designer & all. At least dat porcupine made him look different but no he decided to become like all other black rappers & he thinks he is a starboy now honestly. . . this is his end!

Usagi-Chan~

What are you doing my love?
    Years
    • Age 26
    • US
    • Seen Apr 7, 2024
    Regardless of his old-palmtree signature look, the fact that he's not a rapper and has a very distinct voice sets him far apart from "all other black rappers". I don't think his end is anytime soon, Starboy the song has been Top 5 on the Billboard charts since it's release, and his album just debuted at #1 with damn near 400K in sales plus streams. I give him props for trying a new sound from his last album even though it's a little bloated.

Sydian

fake your death.
    Years
  • Is hair that big of a deal? Like lmfao I'm sorry, if you can't tell rappers apart, that's not an issue with their hair. Look at their faces? I mean...lol. That's a bit of a ridiculous claim.

Anyway, as it's clear, I love Starboy. I think it's a great album. Some tracks are misses, but a lot of them are great and I like what he did with this album. Love his tracks with Daft Punk and love Kendrick's feature in Sidewalks. Also hope to see him collaborate with Lana Del Ray more in the future because I think they work together really well here. I plan on making a post about my favorite albums from this year at some point, so I'm going to leave most of my opinions for that post rather than here. But yeah, Starboy is A++++ for me.

Mr Cat Dog

Frasier says it best
    Years
  • I plan on making a post about my favorite albums from this year at some point, so I'm going to leave most of my opinions for that post rather than here.
    Looking forward to it. For the first time, I actually have a set of favourite albums now (as opposed to a few weeks time when all the 'best of the year' lists come out).

And The Weeknd is OK. Wish the third e was there in his name. Liked his song with Beyonce; hated the one where he can't feel his face.

Years
  • I can see why some were pissed about Abel (that's his real name) chopping off that "palm tree" hair of his, and somehow trying to follow a Michael Jackson direction with the new material. I personally think the new direction he's taken with Starboy has proven successful, since it seems to have broken Spotify records.

Definitely a sign we're going to see more of this phase of him in the near future. I also love those collabs he did on the album, and I think they proved to pay off well if Spotify is saying anything.

Years
  • He was the warmup act for a Florence + the Machine concert I went to before he got big and I wasn't impressed then, but if he's ditched that hair and is trying to go for a more Michael Jackson-esque sound then maybe I should give him another chance.

Sydian

fake your death.
    Years
  • I wouldn't call a majority of the tracks on Starboy a Michael Jackson-esque sound, fwiw. Definitely not Michael Jackson-esque lyrics either, haha.

Years
  • I literally have no clue of whom you're talking about, so I googled him. Ah. That guy. Ah ha ha ha . . . nope. Since I don't keep up on newer popstars, I guess I was drawn more so by the 'weeknd' bit, which is spelled incorrectly. Sometimes his music pops up in the stores or radio, which I change rather promptly. Looking further, I would classify him more towards R&B and not 'rap'. But if you then ask who my favorite rapper is I'd tell you he's dead, he's not a rapper and his name Adam. Boom. So unfortunately for you Loverboy, I was working for the weekend ;)

Years
  • He's one of the really successful mainstream artists that I've been consistently impressed with. I'm yet to hear the entirety of the album but so far everything I have heard has been solid.

Cay

Years
    • Seen Mar 11, 2022
    hes definitely influinceed by mj, though. he put a cover of dirty diana as the first track off echoes of silence, lol.

Years
  • I haven't been too impressed with The Weeknd since his trilogy of mixtapes to be honest. Kiss Land was completely forgettable and Beauty Behind the Madness was an improvement but still far from classic. I'm not sure if I'll listen to Starboy because at this point I probably wouldn't enjoy it. Obviously he continues to succeed commercially though, so I'm sure he has no reason to go back to his older style of music.

As for the hair and everything, that seems largely irrelevant.

Years
    • Seen Jan 1, 2023
    I didn't care for him before he got big, but I noticed his music style since has become very mainstream

antemortem

rest after tomorrow
    Years
  • I have kept Stargirl Interlude on a couple of different albums because it is a beautiful track, but for the most part The Weeknd's beats are lacking uniqueness on this album. I found other favorites in Love to Lay and Party Monster, but aside from those I have such a difficult time listening to the whole thing. It just feels incomplete to me because of how repetitive some of the tracks end up being.

I've never been anti-The Weeknd, nor his biggest advocate. This just continues to float middle ground for me personally. Maybe he'll release a bomb ass music video to make up for it soon enough.

If Stargirl Interlude got some sort of short movie I'd be fucking elated.

Back