• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

Anime/Manga What is the best anime/anime series you’ve ever watched?

Uecil

[img]https://i.ibb.co/4jfYrCT/tHdpHUB.png[/img]
Years
  • 91 days. Hands down. One of the most underrated series, imo.
    I was hooked from episode one, until the end.

Another series, I utmost love and would consider the best is Full metal Alchemist and Kyou kara maoh/maou.

Years
    • she / they
    • Seen Jan 12, 2024
    Serial Experiments Lain. That blew my mind the first time I saw it. Cowboy Bebop gonna be a close second though!

pkmin3033

Suite Precure was a wonderfully heartwarming and surprisingly emotionally deep experience that came at a time in my life when I needed it the most. Plus it had an absolutely amazing soundtrack.

Honourary mentions to Princess Tutu and Cross Ange, though. Yes, I know one of these things is not like the others. But you'd be surprised.

Uecil

[img]https://i.ibb.co/4jfYrCT/tHdpHUB.png[/img]
    Years
  • ^^^ This.

Sorry, wanted to post another-- Shouwa Rakugo. Definitely another best one. It's animation is incredible, in terms of being able to get characters to depict a story, but also the layers upon layers of story telling used. It's remarkable.

Edit: Yuri on ice! Oh. My. Goodness.
    How did I forget about this one? it's such a magnificent story. From every frame down to musical note.
    ;;;

Last edited:
    Years
  • Probably The Saga of Tanya the Evil (Yōjo Senki)!!

Aside for the good way of sending someone to another world, the protagonist sure is twisted.
    And I love MC characters like that, not all should be kind and well. That is just my personal interest.

Palamon

Silence is Purple
    Years
  • Fruits Basket made a huge impact on my life, both the anime and the manga. I guess MekakuCity Actors did, too, along with Banana FIsh. But I don't have much to say.

Emilia

~ free falling
    Years
  • i think the best anime i've ever watched is One Piece
    (Re:Zero, Attack On Titan and Made In Abyss are also some of my favorites.. ooh and i really enjoyed Another too)

Years
  • Re:Zero and Attack on Titan are great! Objectively I'd have to say them or Clannad for me (even mentioning that name gets me in tears) but purely for nostalgia am gonna go with Naruto or Fairy Tail - despite its flaws haha!

Years
    • Seen Nov 9, 2023
    Very hard to say, so I'll just name some that really stuck with me.
    The Revolutionary Girl Utena series. Still nothing like it in my opinion.
    Princess TuTu
    This Ugly Yet Beautiful World - An absolute favorite for me.
    Narutaru Shadow Dragons - very disturbing and very unique, pretty messed up, but I'd say it conveys everything it wants to exactly as it intends to.
    Wotakoi
    Waganaria!! just a very good comedy.
    Re:Zero s1 Perfection imo (haven't seen s2 yet)
    Chrono Crusade
    Paranoia Agent
    Excel Saga - Nothing like it, and probably never will be again
    Ghost Stories eng Dub
    Boku No Hero (hasn't failed to catch my attention yet)
    Yu Yu Hakusho (early seasons)

There's a lot more I've seen relatively recently that I've called a perfect show, because of flawless execution that for some reason I just can't remember now,
    I'll look through my bookmarks and come back later.

ok Toradora is one.
    TIger & Bunny ok that's it for now.

wait forgot my fav
    Welcome to The NHK!

ok be back later.

aight I'm back

JOJO

Monster - atmospheric with amazing progression.

Mob Psycho 100

ReLIFE:
    Assassination Classroom
    Konosuba

Rascal Does not Dream of Bunny Girl Sempai - especially for the movie.
    Tsuredure Children - Just so good.

Spice & Wolf

Beastars - amazing strength of character and a believable world
    Fate unlimited blade works & zero

Air Gear - The first half, before the pacing etc got bad.

Gundam seed, other early 90's 00's gundam.
    Gundam Iron Blooded Orphans - in a class of its own.

Cowboy Bebop
    Trigun
    & I'll add Blue Gender to that

Ghost in the Shell -because obviously.

O Maidens in your savage season - very interesting and very well done character drama.

Baby Steps - more season 2.

Great Teacher Onizuka

Soul Eater

S-cry Ed

Samurai Jack - original version.

Tenjou Tenge - unique and awesome fights etc.
    Ikki Tousen - first series, that's also one for subverting expectations had a lot of fanservice but the story and characters became amazingly gripping.

Kokorro Connect - just such great directing, great foreshadowing believable reactions and characters. Love it.

Desert Punk

Coyote Ragtime Show!

Oban Star Racers

Samurai Champloo

Kanon 2016

Air

Angel Beats

Shiki

the Monogatari series

full metal alchemist -both versions

ok I'll leave it here. I tried to leave out the obvious things like movies or big series like devilman cry baby, while still covering a lot of different genres.

While this seems like a huge list its not just my "favorites" i kept it more to a list of series that made me think "wow! this is amazing this is the best, there's nothing like this!"

and I still feel like I'm forgetting some, and even as I'm writing this I'm still adding more, but I guess that's owed to just how hard it is to nail down what makes something the best.

I'm a shameless horrible liar that lies.
    Summer Wars

Hunter x Hunter

Made in Abyss

Detective Conan/Case Closed

Mahou Shoujo Madoka Magica!!

Last edited:

Palamon

Silence is Purple
    Years
  • Very hard to say, so I'll just name some that really stuck with me.
    The Revolutionary Girl Utena series. Still nothing like it in my opinion.
    Princess TuTu
    This Ugly Yet Beautiful World - An absolute favorite for me.
    Narutaru Shadow Dragons - very disturbing and very unique, pretty messed up, but I'd say it conveys everything it wants to exactly as it intends to.
    Wotakoi
    Waganaria!! just a very good comedy.
    Re:Zero s1 Perfection imo (haven't seen s2 yet)
    Chrono Crusade
    Paranoia Agent
    Excel Saga - Nothing like it, and probably never will be again
    Ghost Stories eng Dub
    Boku No Hero (hasn't failed to catch my attention yet)
    Yu Yu Hakusho (early seasons)

There's a lot more I've seen relatively recently that I've called a perfect show, because of flawless execution that for some reason I just can't remember now,
    I'll look through my bookmarks and come back later.

ok Toradora is one.
    TIger & Bunny ok that's it for now.

wait forgot my fav
    Welcome to The NHK!

ok be back later.

aight I'm back

JOJO

Monster - atmospheric with amazing progression.

Mob Psycho 100

ReLIFE:
    Assassination Classroom
    Konosuba

Rascal Does not Dream of Bunny Girl Sempai - especially for the movie.
    Tsuredure Children - Just so good.

Spice & Wolf

Beastars - amazing strength of character and a believable world
    Fate unlimited blade works & zero

Air Gear - The first half, before the pacing etc got bad.

Gundam seed, other early 90's 00's gundam.
    Gundam Iron Blooded Orphans - in a class of its own.

Cowboy Bebop
    Trigun
    & I'll add Blue Gender to that

Ghost in the Shell -because obviously.

O Maidens in your savage season - very interesting and very well done character drama.

Baby Steps - more season 2.

Great Teacher Onizuka

Soul Eater

S-cry Ed

Samurai Jack - original version.

Tenjou Tenge - unique and awesome fights etc.
    Ikki Tousen - first series, that's also one for subverting expectations had a lot of fanservice but the story and characters became amazingly gripping.

Kokorro Connect - just such great directing, great foreshadowing believable reactions and characters. Love it.

Desert Punk

Coyote Ragtime Show!

Oban Star Racers

Samurai Champloo

Kanon 2016

Air

Angel Beats

Shiki

the Monogatari series

full metal alchemist -both versions

ok I'll leave it here. I tried to leave out the obvious things like movies or big series like devilman cry baby, while still covering a lot of different genres.

While this seems like a huge list its not just my "favorites" i kept it more to a list of series that made me think "wow! this is amazing this is the best, there's nothing like this!"

and I still feel like I'm forgetting some, and even as I'm writing this I'm still adding more, but I guess that's owed to just how hard it is to nail down what makes something the best.

I'm a shameless horrible liar that lies.
    Summer Wars

Hunter x Hunter

Made in Abyss

Detective Conan/Case Closed

Mahou Shoujo Madoka Magica!!

shocking to find someone who actually liked shadow star narutaru a lot of people hate that one the manga it was adapted from even got cancelled and edited extremely in English

Years
    • Seen Nov 9, 2023
    shocking to find someone who actually liked shadow star narutaru a lot of people hate that one the manga it was adapted from even got cancelled and edited extremely in English

Completely understandable, but I don't mind grittier shows, or darker subject matter as long as it makes sense, and has a meaning or purpose besides "ahh shocking".

It was a good show, but like I said very disturbing. And I can't say the shock value didn't contribute to some degree, but I think overall it was just done really well.
    just all the small details and foreshadowing.

Great op as well, and meta before meta was even a thing, just my god. If you watch the opening credits while knowing the plot of the show its an entirely different experience.

It's clear a lot of thought and energy was put into it.

The story is essentially the heart of darkness in a fantasy setting, for a girl that just wants friends. While examining the sometimes twisted nature of attachment and relationships.

While also a character study (kind of) of what happens when you give the worst, most immature and sociopathic people a lot of power.

I definitely don't want every show to try to be that, but I do miss the days when we got more unique and original anime.
    But that may just be because there's more anime than ever now. So its not only the most fleshed out ideas and shows being made.

Last edited:
    Years
  • I don't think anything can ever top Fullmetal Alchemist Brotherhood or Hunter x Hunter (2011) for me. They're incredible and usually written so well. Only minor downside is slight pacing issues in the later arcs of HxH.

Agreed that Soul Eater was also excellent if you put the ending aside! Such a unique style and great music. Definitely way better than the manga imo.

Sonata

Don't let me disappear
    Years
  • It's hard to say, especially as I watch more and more stuff. I know Eden of the East was great, and I've re watched it a couple of times and still thoroughly enjoyed it, albeit not as much as that initial time. FMA:B is always going to be on the list as well. What I've gone through of the Monogatari series has been really great stuff, but I feel like I judge it on a different scale from average anime and I'm not sure if that's good or bad, since I felt similarly about Mushishi. My favorite classical anime is probably Captain Herlock - the opening has been stuck in my mind since the second episode years ago and while it's now a fairly generic and dated story, it's still quite enjoyable.

This question always gets the better of me because it's hard to narrow it down to a singular anime, since my enjoyment is subjective based on when I watch the show and how I'm feeling at the time...

pastelspectre

Memento Mori★
    Years
  • I still think Clannad/Clannad Afterstory is my favorite anime of all time. No other anime I've seen has been able to emotionally impact me on such an intense level.

Lady Bisharp

Blue noodle enthusiast
    Years
    • She / They
    • Spain
    • Seen Apr 8, 2024
    JJBA (Jojo's Bizarre Adventure), I know it has a lot of flaws and it's far from being the best anime in terms of characterization and plot, but it's such an unique and creative series. I literally can't think of anything in any type of media that has the same feeling and tone to it. The characters and Stand flamboyant designs, the over-dramatic scenes and poses, the hot men and women, the DRAMA in general, the silliness, the creativity of the fights, etc. It's just so much fun. You can tell the creator is putting a lot of heart into the series (again, despite its flaws) and isn't afraid of trying out new and weird things, even if they don't always work.

I don't know, I can't help but really admire the originality and uniqueness of it ><"
    Also, JJBA is probably one of the few shounen to have a female protagonist, which is much appreciated ♡

Back