• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

What is your favorite Gen and why?

Years
  • I personally love Gen III just because it's nostalgic and the fact that the battle are much faster paced. I know this sounds weird but I appreciate the older graphics I think it just looks more like a pokemon game than Gen VI. I also like Gen IV (D,P,PT,HG,SS)

SleepyTrainer

Rage Valley
    Years
    • Age 25
    • Seen Jul 3, 2018
    Gen II for me.
    There's just something about it that makes me like it a lot.
    Gen III also introduced a lot of very nicely designed pokemon. Gen I also.
    Every gen did...

The silver version is the one I like the most.

Years
    • Seen Mar 5, 2016
    My favourite gen is probably 3rd gen for nostalgia factor. But I think 6th Gen almost succeeded that because of ORAS.

skyburial

Orca Hype
    Years
  • I can't believe I was late on the Gen IV train, because it was a monster of a generation. So many evolutionary lines completed, big, big storylines (though not as epic as Gen V), and some of the raddest legends the series has ever seen. Give it up for Cresselia, Heatran, Dialga, Giratina, and Arceus folks.

Also, the starter dynamic was completely flipped on its head, each mon having a type advantage to the type that would typically counter it.

Mekkalynx

Trainer Lynx
    Years
    • PA
    • Seen Apr 7, 2017
    Mine will always be Red, call it pure nostalgia or the quaintness of the Kanto Region but Red will always be the best in my opinion despite the fact that I absolutely love every generation so far.

Wicked3DS

[b]Until the very end.[/b]
    Years
  • Gen III is my favorite because of Emerald and FR/LG. Everyone considers FR/LG to be very weak in terms of remakes, but they are much better versions of the originals in terms of mechanics and balance, and in any case, FireRed is the game I've owned the longest as I've lost my Gen I and II games a long time ago :( Emerald is also my most favorite in terms of story. Very deep plot and great villains even if there is too much water.

Gen IV is a close second. HG/SS are fantastic and Platinum is pretty good as well.

Years
  • Generation V for me. Even if it took a while for me to really warm up to BW, the Pokémon were mostly ones I thought were pretty cool, and the plots were very well done. I've already talked 9000 times about what I love in B2W2, so I don't think I need to talk any more about that. B)

Years
  • Generation IV will always hold a special place in my heart. Platinum was so good (plus HGSS ;-;). Generation III (RSE + FRLG!!!) and VI (ORAS!!!) are probably a close second, though.

Loriania

Mars Adept
    Years
  • Probably Gen IV. While I never played the original, I really liked Soul Silver. Then I liked Pearl a lot too.

Gen VI is a close second. Enjoyed AS/OR very much, and Kalos is fun to explore.

Delirious Absol

Call me Del
    Years
    • UK
    • Seen Jan 27, 2019
    Gen V is definitely my favourite. It has the best story line and I really liked N as a character. I also loved how you didn't encounter any old Pokemon until post game, which meant you had to use something entirely new giving it a new game feel. The sequel idea was fantastic too, making the tie-in more worth playing as it offered a new story rather than a re-make with extras.

Sirfetch’d

Gen 3! It was my first actual generation of games that I've owned (well, unless you count Pokemon Stadium 2 with Gen 2, but...eh), so they've been an important part of my childhood ever since. ^__^

Gen 3 is such a great one. Definitely my favorite of all time as well :) I just loved Hoenn and everything about it! The music was so beautiful, the region was amazing, the Pokemon selection was superb, and my favorite Pokemon came from this generation, Pokemon. Gen 6 is a close second but I don't think gen 3 will ever be topped for me :3

Seth Rollins

Holding on to You |-/
    Years
  • My favorite generation is Gen 4: It has the best Pokemon remake of all time (never played oras here) HG/SS was perfect, and pretty much everything from G/S/C was improved. And I absolutely loved how the Pokemon followed you. And Platinum was fine, imo it had the best evil Pokemon team and I just loved how for the first time the rival was heavily involved in the storyline.

Charlie Brown

[font=lato]coolcoolcool[/font]
    Years
  • Without a doubt, Gen II. Although I started with Gen I, Gen II is where it all really happened for me - so many good memories playing it. Around that time, Pokemon was popular in school, the anime was popular, I was young (yeah lots of nostalgia surrounding my favourite gen)... I also really like all the Pokemon introduced in Gen II and I think it introduced a lot of my favourite concepts. Johto as a region was super interesting and although it wasn't as beautiful as some of the newer regions, it was still a massive step up from Kanto. GenIIforlyf

Years
    • Seen Apr 22, 2018
    Exactly. I honestly never got the "too much water" criticism that Hoenn had compared to like...regions like Johto/Kanto (not to insult those regions but js!!) that barely had any (at least in the HG/SS map, idk about the GSC one)? Idk, I personally really liked the experience of surfing and diving (especially diving and battling Pokemon underwater and things like that; it's something really unique that gives Hoenn that spark for me.

A lot of people hate being attacked by Tentacool and Wingull every few steps, and constantly having to buy and spray Repels could be a pain in the era before Gen 5 and the automatic "spray another Repel" prompt. It was very easy to get lost on many of those water routes, too.

Years
    • Seen Apr 22, 2018
    As far as getting attacked by tentacool and wingull goes, that's basically no different than traversing your typical forest and constantly attacked by Kakuna/weedle/insert forest bug type, or [insert route which has a ton of grass here], or [insert cave here]. I mean, you can make the argument that traversing the water routes are more tedious, but that's debatable (then again, we are debating opinions, so eh). I don't mind them as much, really. Buying and spraying repels are honestly a non-issue because that's the entire purpose of them existing in the first place (i.e going in an area with a lot of wild Pokemon that you dont want to deal with).

The difference is that forest areas usually aren't as large as water areas, especially if we're talking about Hoenn. There's also usually only one or two, at the most, per game, and many of them only swarm you with wild Pokémon in patches of grassy areas. (Like in Hoenn's own Petalburg Woods.)

Now, I could see that argument in regards to caves, especially since they often require you to use a million HMs, but on the other hand, caves usually, at least, have a slightly better diversity of wild Pokémon.

Years
    • Seen Jul 17, 2016
    The difference is that forest areas usually aren't as large as water areas, especially if we're talking about Hoenn. There's also usually only one or two, at the most, per game, and many of them only swarm you with wild Pokémon in patches of grassy areas. (Like in Hoenn's own Petalburg Woods.)

Now, I could see that argument in regards to caves, especially since they often require you to use a million HMs, but on the other hand, caves usually, at least, have a slightly better diversity of wild Pokémon.

The encounter rate for Gen III games was the lowest it's ever been. Every step there is a 10% of an encounter. In normal grass it's 15%. Compared that to Sinnoh with 15% and Unova 20%, it's not really a solid argument in my opinion.

As for there being too much well, Hoenn is a tropical region. It's unsurprising to see a large amount of water. Pokémon games are meant to explored anyway, and there are some items you can get whilst traversing those waters.

One argument I will make however is Pokémon diversity. Just Tentacool and Wingull with the 1% chance of finding Wailord is rather tedious.

Cerberus87

Mega Houndoom, baby!
    Years
  • Now, I could see that argument in regards to caves, especially since they often require you to use a million HMs, but on the other hand, caves usually, at least, have a slightly better diversity of wild Pokémon.

That's actually an interesting point. Even the "original" cave (Mt. Moon) had four wild Pokémon. Most of them were Zubat, but there were also Geodude, Paras and the rare Clefairy.

The problem is that in Pokémon the Water-types are split between fishing and surfing, and fishing gets way more variety most of the time.

Years
    • Seen Apr 22, 2018
    That's actually an interesting point. Even the "original" cave (Mt. Moon) had four wild Pokémon. Most of them were Zubat, but there were also Geodude, Paras and the rare Clefairy.

The problem is that in Pokémon the Water-types are split between fishing and surfing, and fishing gets way more variety most of the time.

Yeah, pretty much. Even the most Zubat/Geodude-infested caves usually have other Pokémon in them. Surfing, on the other hand, is almost always 100% jellyfish (and seagulls if you're in Hoenn), and if there's anything else, it's usually everybody's favorite orange flopping fish.

I know there's those routes in Johto that also let you get Mantine while surfing, but it's a very rare encounter, and it's only in Gold/Crystal/HeartGold. (So, those stuck with Silver/SoulSilver get 100% jellyfish.)

Years
  • Pokemon Designs/Selection Variation: III > V > VI > I > IV > II
    Spoiler:

Graphics and Overworld Design: II > V > VI > III > IV> I

Spoiler:

Battle Mechanics...meh, I don't care too much.
    Storyline...they are all pretty much underdeveloped.

Basically I will judge based on pokemon designs/variation and graphics/environment.

Overall: V > III > VI > II > I > IV

Years
  • I'm one of the few who loves the generation that many label as the "most hated" of all the generations, and that is the 5th Generation. There is so much I love about Unova, from its different environments to the very awesome-looking Pokemon and having tons of memorable NPCs, a very dark and epic story (especially in B/W), plus the introduction of hidden abilities was icing on the cake on what most people fail to recognize as a great generation.

The fact B/W makes you only use new Pokemon gives the adventure a feel of being like the old days of 1st Gen where everything is new and you have to learn all the new Pokemon. B2/W2 were also great sequels that tied the loose ends and expanded Unova itself, along with having a balanced selection of Pokemon.

Back