• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

What kinds of Pokemon do you like?

faf

[b][color=#1acc14]Queen of Dragons[/color][/b]
Years
  • Pokemon is a franchise known for its colourful, unique creatures and with over 900 of them there are many Pokemon who are bound to be well liked by many fans. What kinds of Pokemon do you prefer? Do you like Pokemon that are cool looking, cutesy, based of your favourite animal, an object, etc?

For me, I have a bias towards Pokemon that are generally cool and tough looking and bonus points for being a dragon and dragon-like. However, silly and quirky looking Pokemon are also appealing to me.

pkmin3033

My preferences are kinda all over the place. Generally I like Pokemon that have more subtle colouring in colours I like - purple, blue, black, etc - so that's most Ghost and Ice types. I especially like Ghosts because they're such a varied type; they take inspiration from all kinds of things and it's a really nice blend of cultures that's not quite so obnoxiously obvious as Legendaries etc. I like Pokemon based on animals where the real-life inspiration isn't so immediately obvious, because it suggests to me that more thought has been put into their design.

I also like most inanimate object Pokemon, even though their inspiration is usually pretty obvious. I've said it before, and I'll say it again: anyone can make a Pokemon based off of a real-life animal. It takes creativity to make something based off an ordinary object and make it actually look like it's alive. It doesn't always work, of course, but then you get things like Sinistea and Klefki and it's great. The names of Pokemon like this are often quite amusing as well. I occasionally like weird Pokemon if their designs stick out enough to me too. I'm very fond of Celesteela, for example...it's a skyscraper rocket with arms and it reminds me of that one Zelda boss with disembodied hands that is in literally every goddamn 3D Zelda game from Ocarina of Time onwards, and even a couple of the 2D ones. It's appealing for some weird reason. I also quite like Naganadel for being a purple-coloured Waspmon, and Eternatusis is fantastic.

Sometimes the ones that look less like Pokemon are actually the best ones I think, because they somehow fit the theme whilst not fitting the theme at all. I think I like these ones because they're not excessively detailed (I mean, Eternatus looks messy in a lot of artwork, but that's because it's curled up on itself and it's transparent - stretched out it's not much more complex than Rayquaza) and the best Pokemon designs aren't ones that have so much detail there isn't a clear focus point for the eye. Or, in other words, the ones that don't look like they were designed by Tetsuya Nomura.

Also if I see an unintended reference in a Pokemon I'm immediately drawn to it. I mean, Solgaleo is obviously the White Tigerzord.

However, all my preferences are annulled if the Pokemon in question is a) primarily brown and/or orange, because those colours are vile, b) part-fighting, because that is the absolute worst type, or c) causes me enough aggravation in-game through status effects or repeated random encounters that I get fed up with seeing it.

icycatelf

Alex
    Years
  • I don't think I gravitate toward any one particular kind of Pokémon, but I guess I tend to prefer "pretty" or "cute" over "cool" for the most part. Some of my favorites are a nice balance of cool and cute, some are elegant, and some are kind of... weird? I do tend to gravitate away from rugged and bulky-looking designs, though.

I'm also drawn to Ice-types and cat-based Pokémon (since Gen. IV, at least one of my top 3 favorites per Gen. has been Ice-type).

Last edited:

TepigLover101

I am a tepig who has hair
    Years
  • Its no secret that my favorite pokemon are the starters you cant have a pokemon game without them
    Excuse me I said pokemon game not pokemon spinoff I see you pokemon ranger fans

Years
    • Seen today
    Any design I think is appealing. I don't have specific criteria. My thoughts end up like "Lanturn has a pretty color palette" or "Haxorus looks cool".

Years
    • Seen Jun 28, 2023
    Already mentioned this in other posts but i love spikey, geometric whatsoever designs. Something sharp.
    So stuff like Jolteon or Zapdos are somewhere at the very top for me

CarneMorta

Toxricity Enthusiast
    Years
  • In general I love pokemon that are either overly cute to the point to be diabetes-inducing, or the crazy looking ones. You know what I'm talking about, the ones that look like they snort sugar for a living, such as: Carnivine, Toxricity, Seismitoad.

I also love those pokemon that have that menacing aura feel, like Dhelmise.

Years
  • Already mentioned this in other posts but i love spikey, geometric whatsoever designs. Something sharp.
    So stuff like Jolteon or Zapdos are somewhere at the very top for me

This is a really cool and unique reply! I feel like I hardly see anyone says this. Jolteon and Zapdos are some favs too, but I also love electric types so that adds to it ufufufu.

Generally I like cute mons with round eyes. Some of my favorites are the Minccino line, Whimsicott, Flareon, and Raichu, among others. <3 Pastel-colored designs are also really neat.

Adam Levine

[color=#ffffff][font="Century Gothic"]I have tried
    Years
  • "Avant-garde" is the word I'm looking for with regards to my taste. Most of my favorite Pokémon are the ones that look bizarre and outlandish. Cradily, the Galar fossils, the Ultra Beasts (particularly Xurkitree), Falinks, Sigilyph, Vanilluxe, the list goes on. I know Game Freak has gone a bit overboard with "weird" Pokémon lately, but sometimes they land. Pokémon like Sandaconda, for example, left an immediate impression on me because of their ridiculous but lovable designs. Sometimes I'll grow to appreciate a Pokémon the more I think about how absurd it is by concept alone. A flying sauropod with bananas growing from its neck? Sign me in!

That said, I can appreciate Pokémon with more conventional appeals too. Treecko, Rowlet, Espurr, Whimsicott, Scizor, Sneasel, Metagross, Dusknoir... There's a lot of Pokémon I like.

Years
  • I like object Pokémon, some are pretty neat, like Magnemite and Dhelmise. Talking Dhelmise, spooky ghosts are also favorites of mine. Besides that, I think I prefer a more a more beautiful kind of cool, than what's usually considered cool like spikes and fangs. What I mean is I prefer Suicune over Garchomp. I also like strange ones, like Lickilicky, Probopass or Muk.
    Something I like very much is when a pokémon has some mistery about it, like Tangela's body occult behind its vines, or Mimikyu's disguise, or Kabuto, that seems to have a pair of eyes when you look from above, but when you look it from another angle, you can see its red eyes glowing on its dark body.

LadyJirachu

Fluffy and Elegant :3
    Years
  • Cuter (my boyfriend likes to say 'nawww' type) Pokémon. Pikachu is a huge favourite of mine because of his fierceness in the anime :P

Me and my boyfriend also both really like Lucario as well. I also find the Sinnoh Pokémon interesting in general and want to really get into pearl since it's a game I sorta missed out on when I was younger due to autism issues. And sinnoh appeals to me for other reasons too xD

Years
  • according to my list of favorite pokemon, either humanoid shapes or shapes that don't resemble humans whatsoever. at least that's the best i can do to classify them anyway.

crobat, heracross, ampharos, starmie, are the ones that immediately come to mind.

Years
  • i just like cute things. if they're cute and have a good colour scheme to them then i'll probably like it lol. bonus points for good lore!

Years
    • Seen Dec 16, 2020
    I like Pokemon that are versatile, cute tanks or savage attackers...

So I adore lapras, snorlax and the bulkier starters, as well as the flying fire types, faster grass, water and electric types and anything dragon-like, canine or feline.

Many of my favourites are starters, like greninja, charizard and so on. And many just... fit the niche I needed filled... and grew on me over time.

Years
    • Seen today
    I like Pokémon that have an interesting concept/design, feel unique, and are interesting and fun to use because of their abilities and move pools.

I dislike Pokémon that feel like a rip-off/2.0 version of a previously existing species and are basically just Pokédex fillers adding nothing new.

Years
  • I generally like cool/tough looking Pokemon and strong Pokemon. Evident in the fact that Blaziken, Gyarados, and Tyranitar are my favorite Pokemon.

I dislike the furry bait Pokemon because they make me uncomfortable, Lopunny, Gardevoir, Lucario, Lycanroc, and Goodra (I really hope Blaziken doesn't fall under that umbrella but it seems like it is mostly Pokemon with human anatomy or dogs? Wtf.) off the top of my head.

Sydian

fake your death.
    Years
  • my tastes are all over the place i will literally be in tears over alolan dugtrio and furret bc they're cute and then also be crying over some random shit like forretress and black kyurem talkin about i just think they're neat

Duck

🦆 quack quack
    Years
    • he, they
    • Seen Feb 23, 2023
    I suppose I generally like Pokémon that either appeal to my inner ten year old boy (so cool) or my inner ten year old girl (so cuuuute).

For example, I vividly remember fawning over Mimikyuu and being salty its English name wasn't Pikaboo because it's my baby and it just wants to be loved back when it was announced, but I've also always had a big appreciation for the more "tough and cool" looking designs like pretty much all of the Ultra Beasts (except Guzzlord).

Like, I can vividly see Buzzwole being an enemy in One Punch Man or My Hero Academia and I high key dig that.

Back