• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

What's your favorite Pokemon type?

What's your favorite type?

• Total voters
Years
  • Age 31
  • Seen Feb 2, 2014
Dragon, Steel and Dark. I cannot choose between them. My favourite Pokemon are one of each type.

Years
Electric, grass, ghost, and fairy. Electric is my #1 but the other three aren't in any order. There's something about electricity that just appeals to me so it took that first spot from ghost about ten years ago. :D

Puddle

Mission Complete✔
Years
2 Favorite Types:

Dragon - The coolest Pokemon tend to be dragon types and I love the move Dragon Claw.
Ice - Super effective against Dragon making it the best type in the game. Mwahahaha.

Years
What's your fave type?

Decided to revive this topic by remaking it.

So, what are your faves of the 18 elemental types in the Pokemon series and why?

Puddle

Mission Complete✔
Years
My favorite common type is probably fire, just because I tend to like the Pokemon in it. However, my favorite type is probably dragon because those have the coolest, strongest Pokemon and most the Psuedo-Legendaries. However, I also like ice types as well for the sole reason that they can destroy dragon types, making them awesome.

KorpiklaaniVodka

KID BUU PAWAA
Years
My favorite type is Ghost because of its theme and because it's one of the best types in the game. Ghost + Fighting has unresisted coverage and Gengar is one of my favorite Pokemon.

I also like Normal and Dragon. The Normal-type is very underrated, however some badass pokemon such as Ursaring still rock. The Dragon-type is still the best type in the game without a doubt, even with the addition of the Fairy-type (Iron Tail, Poison Jab and Flash Cannon are there for a reason) and the nerf of Draco Meteor and Dragon Pulse.

Years
  • Seen Feb 3, 2014
Suprised no one has said water yet, yeah sure it is the most common type but most of the Pokemon in there have some awesome designs (i'm looking at you lapras)

KorpiklaaniVodka

KID BUU PAWAA
Years
If anything, the water-type is one of the worst types in the game. It's got a horrible weakness to Grass (Mega Venusaur says hello) and the nerf of Ice Beam doesn't help at all. The electric weakness isn't as bad as a simple Ground-type can help dispatch enemy Thundurus, but that doesn't make water-types overpowered monsters overnight. Most importantly, Drizzle was horribly nerfed.

I also dislike water-types because many of them look stupid (Bibarel, Oshawott [sorry Hika], Palkia, Luvdisc, Feebas anyone?). That, and many of them are plain overrated as well.

Last edited:

Nah

Years
  • Age 31
  • she/her, they/them
  • Seen yesterday
If anything, the water-type is one of the worst types in the game. It's got a horrible weakness to Grass (Mega Venusaur says hello) and the nerf of Ice Beam doesn't help at all. The electric weakness isn't as bad as a simple Ground-type can help dispatch enemy Thundurus, but that doesn't make water-types overpowered monsters overnight. Most importantly, Drizzle was horribly nerfed.

I also dislike water-types because many of them look stupid (Bibarel, Oshawott [sorry Hika], Palkia, Luvdisc, Feebas anyone?). That, and many of them are plain overrated as well.

I wouldn't call Water a terrible type. And rain needed a nerf. I got sick and tired of fighting a rain team every other battle in Gen 5.

stp

ShootThePuck
Years

water type is probably the best type in the game? it has two weaknesses. grass is a pretty bad type honestly and is very lackluster in terms of coverage moves. there's only four grass types in OU - two are only used for utility, one doesn't even use grass as its main STAB, and one is only good under sun. electric type is declining and the only one worth using anymore are rotom-w (which is, ironically, a water type!) and thundurus-t. magnezone only has a niche with magnet pull and jolteon is just plain bad really.

more importantly, there's more water types in OU than any other type besides steel, which it's tied with. bulky waters have fantastic typing and good utility, and the drizzle nerf isn't that big of a deal because five turns is plenty to gain a bunch of momentum and advantage. the ice beam nerf is a bit of a letdown but there's only like two water types in OU that even really used ice beam.

td:lr water types are not bad. :)

Meganium

[i]memento mori[/i]
Years
I'm a huge fan of grass-types. They may have loads of weaknesses and not very good competitively, but I still love them, regardless. :)

DynamicD

Metagross Fan
Years
  • Age 26
  • Seen Jan 22, 2015
Dragon type was almost my favorite, but these two types took the spot for me.

Electric- so many cool Pokemon in this group, and Ampharos is arguably one of my favorite Pokemon of all time.

Water- There is such a variety of them, and they have so many great combinations and such.

KorpiklaaniVodka

KID BUU PAWAA
Years
water type is probably the best type in the game? it has two weaknesses. grass is a pretty bad type honestly and is very lackluster in terms of coverage moves. there's only four grass types in OU - two are only used for utility, one doesn't even use grass as its main STAB, and one is only good under sun. electric type is declining and the only one worth using anymore are rotom-w (which is, ironically, a water type!) and thundurus-t. magnezone only has a niche with magnet pull and jolteon is just plain bad really.

more importantly, there's more water types in OU than any other type besides steel, which it's tied with. bulky waters have fantastic typing and good utility, and the drizzle nerf isn't that big of a deal because five turns is plenty to gain a bunch of momentum and advantage. the ice beam nerf is a bit of a letdown but there's only like two water types in OU that even really used ice beam.

td:lr water types are not bad. :)

Please explain how is Grass a bad type. Ferrothorn is one of the most annoying Pokemon ever to take down, especially in Gen 5 when backed by rain. Just because it has pretty low attack (even though Choice Band Ferrothorn is viable) doesn't mean it can't wall most water-types ad infinitum. Mega Venusaur just won't die to special attacks, has the Thick Fat ability which makes it hard to eliminate even with super effective attacks, and it's S rank for a reason on the Smogon viability thread.
As for Electric-types, the best Electric-type in OU right now is Thundurus, not Rotom-W (imo). Rotom-W doesn't hit very hard at all, and tbh it's renowned because of its access to Volt Switch and Will-o-Wisp. Hydro Pump is just... there if you need to kill a Ground-type or something. On the other hand, Thundurus is so darn annoying and I think he'll get banned this generation as well, with Prankster, extreme Special Attack, Taunt, Thunder Wave, and good physical attack as well to get rid of Tyranitar (with Superpower).
If it wasn't for Drizzle Politoed, I think Tentacruel, Starmie and Gyarados would have been UU/BL (and Politoed would be definitely NU), because the power creep in gen 5 would have meant they couldn't keep up with new threats like Terrakion and Conkeldurr. Tentacruel would no longer be able to use Rain Dish + Protect and would have NO way to get past Ferrothorn. Starmie wouldn't hit hard enough and once again would never EVER get rid of Ferro. Gyarados would probably be at the border since it can actually set up on the spiked monster, but even then it needs some luck to actually beat it.
Sorry, but your comment tells me you're still living in Gen 5. The Water-type is very overrated and not as good as most people think.

Last edited:
Years
In real life, I'm borderline deathly afraid of swimming anywhere where it's not enclosed, but for some reason, I really like Water and Ice types. Probably because they're both associated with my favourite colour :P

Nah

Years
  • Age 31
  • she/her, they/them
  • Seen yesterday
Please explain how is Grass a bad type. Ferrothorn is one of the most annoying Pokemon ever to take down, especially in Gen 5 when backed by rain. Just because it has pretty low attack (even though Choice Band Ferrothorn is viable) doesn't mean it can't wall most water-types ad infinitum. Mega Venusaur just won't die to special attacks, has the Thick Fat ability which makes it hard to eliminate even with super effective attacks, and it's S rank for a reason on the Smogon viability thread.
As for Electric-types, the best Electric-type in OU right now is Thundurus, not Rotom-W (imo). Rotom-W doesn't hit very hard at all, and tbh it's renowned because of its access to Volt Switch and Will-o-Wisp. Hydro Pump is just... there if you need to kill a Ground-type or something. On the other hand, Thundurus is so darn annoying and I think he'll get banned this generation as well, with Prankster, extreme Special Attack, Taunt, Thunder Wave, and good physical attack as well to get rid of Tyranitar (with Superpower).
If it wasn't for Drizzle Politoed, I think Tentacruel, Starmie and Gyarados would have been UU/BL (and Politoed would be definitely NU), because the power creep in gen 5 would have meant they couldn't keep up with new threats like Terrakion and Conkeldurr. Tentacruel would no longer be able to use Rain Dish + Protect and would have NO way to get past Ferrothorn. Starmie wouldn't hit hard enough and once again would never EVER get rid of Ferro. Gyarados would probably be at the border since it can actually set up on the spiked monster, but even then it needs some luck to actually beat it.
Sorry, but your comment tells me you're still living in Gen 5. The Water-type is very overrated and not as good as most people think.

I think when he said that Grass is a bad type, he meant that Grass has a lot of weaknesses and is a poor offensive type since other types generally cover what Grass does and then some.

I do agree that Grass isn't a bad type (there isn't a truly bad type in the game, though some have their issues). Not sure why you're using Ferrothorn as a way to say that Water types suck. It's Ferrothorn, that's what its supposed to do: **** on all water types. You don't use water types against Ferrothorn unless you wanna die. That's like saying all Bug types suck because Heatran exists.

What tier Starmie and Tentacruel end up in is irrelevant, since they are one of the few decent Rapid Spin users, so they will be seen in OU quite a bit.

Rotom-Wash IS good. I'm not gonna say its the best thing ever (cuz its not), but its not as bad as you say. I think Puck said it was the best Electric type because it hard counters Talonflame, who is so overused (pun not intended) atm. Thunderus is great too.

Best Electric type is Zekrom, btw. XD

Shhmew

Years
My favorite type is normal. Sooo many normal types are just super adorable and versatile. <3 Not very exciting, but they are still most certainly my favorites.

Also love fire, flying, and fairy.

Back