• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

What's your job?

Haiku

PokéManiac
Years
  • I'm getting my PhD in psychology in June, and am in the stressful process of looking for a postdoc job. So far, not a whole lot of luck, despite having a strong application. So I wondered, what do you do to make money or just to fill your time?

Years
  • I can't get one. I keep trying, but get turned down.
    Even from the most entry level jobs, and I mean I was declined from a cashier job.

You have no idea how much this breaks your self esteem.

Haiku

PokéManiac
    Years
  • I can't get one. I keep trying, but get turned down.
    Even from the most entry level jobs, and I mean I was declined from a cashier job.

You have no idea how much this breaks your self esteem.

Damn. I do have some idea, though... lately I've really been crumbling mentally because I spent 9 years in school and I can't find any kind of job either :( And academic jobs work on a yearly cycle so my chance is basically over until next year. My parents support me, but I feel horrible about it. I'm 26! I feel like I should be able to do something.

StCooler

Mayst thou thy peace discover.
    Years
    • Seen May 5, 2024
    Hello, I'm Slowpoke, PhD in mathematics :D
    I'm in a postdoc, and looking for my next position. Of course I'd like a permanent position, but in my country and in mathematics, there are like 2-3 open positions each year, for 10 000 researchers, 99% of which come from better universities than me :(
    I confirm this is stressful, also because I'm in another country and I need a working visa if I want another postdoc.

Years
  • Damn. I do have some idea, though... lately I've really been crumbling mentally because I spent 9 years in school and I can't find any kind of job either :( And academic jobs work on a yearly cycle so my chance is basically over until next year. My parents support me, but I feel horrible about it. I'm 26! I feel like I should be able to do something.

I'm 32 and feel the same way. I'm on income assistance and would like to be free of it.

Years
    • he/him
    • Seen Jun 26, 2022
    I'm working as a tutor right now for Reading and Writing. I'm hoping to teach abroad for a bit, and then I'll figure the rest out later.

Years
    • they/them
    • Seen Apr 19, 2024
    I mix fluids and particles in a lab and hope they don't go boom.

(i'm pursuing a PhD in chemistry ish and i'm stressed about it)

Ivysaur

Grass dinosaur extraordinaire
    Years
  • I write about British and American politics, subedit articles from other people and move them around the front page of the paper's website.

I'm also doing a phd in economics on my free time because what is resting

Years
    • she/her
    • Seen May 23, 2023
    Still a student but currently a paralegal and helping a personal injury firm. Actually starting this week! Helping the lawyers with processing all sorts of claims so worker's compensation, asbestos, medical negligence etc. Work on them from the time the client meets the firm to getting it forwarded to court. I'm a bit nervous as I haven't been in this sort of role before but it'll be good experience.

Before that I mainly worked as an academic tutor. My typical shift was teaching multiple back to back classes for different grades in different subjects. It was quite challenging and stressful but having a nice class makes it worth it. Some classes were a nightmare though. I mainly helped with preparation for entrance and scholarship exams. Never thought I'd come back after going there as a kid but I'm so glad I don't have to take those tests myself anymore :P

Years
  • Right now I'm a freelance voice-over artist for a movie recap style Youtube channel. If my other offer pushes through, I'll also be an audiobook narrator on top of that. My first foray into this profession was audiobooks, and it's been paying pretty well~ Just wish I could record stuff whenever I feel like it; my home is so noisy at all times except for the wee hours of 9pm to 5am, so I only have that window of time to be able to do anything :<

TwilightBlade

All dreams are but another reality.
    Years
  • I actually started a new job in January as a controller at one of the largest finance/investment companies in the world. I used to work as a controller/accountant for 6 years at a real estate firm, but since the real estate market is whack, I had started looking for a new job a few months ago. I'm happy where I'm at right now since it has a lot of potential for my career growth. I obtained my undergraduate degree in accounting and my master's degree in business administration. Those sleepless nights in college are finally paying off...

Years
  • I'm still living off of disability so I guess technically I'm unemployed buuuuuuuuuuut I also write books and I'm working towards building that into a proper career because I don't trust the government not to screw me over eventually.

Back