• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

Where do you work?

Years
  • And if you don't work, where do you want to?

I work at Radio shack. I get to play around with phones and other tech on a daily basis, so it's a fun job. I'd like to go back to college for computer hardware engineering and maybe get a job with Microsoft or Samsung.

Oryx

CoquettishCat
    Years
    • Age 31
    • Seen Jan 30, 2015
    I work at AT&T! We're kinda buddies!

Years
  • And also eternal rivals! Seriously there's an AT&T next door and they hate us haha. But that's because we steal their customers. XD

BeachBoy

S P A R K of madness
    Years
  • I work at IKEA, setting up people with home delivery and, generally, working in Full-Serve Hand Out (the big furniture too perilous for people to snag themselves). I also just finished up an internship at Wells Fargo.

Years
  • Ikea seems like it'd be a cool job. As far as retail is concerned anyway. I like working with my hands so if I could do installs, I think I'd really enjoy it.

Years
  • I work at a supermarket pulling carts and getting trash bags. I've had the job for four years (well, three sort of given that I worked for a majority of the fourth), and it's given me funds that can allow me to benefit myself while living on campus and at home before then.

Years
  • I work at an engineering consultancy. I spend most of my time inspecting reinforced concrete or steel structures, although I'm currently inspecting marine timber.

I spend most of my time around wharves and bridges. Although I recently had the pleasure of going down a sewage well.

Oryx

CoquettishCat
    Years
    • Age 31
    • Seen Jan 30, 2015
    I work at an engineering consultancy. I spend most of my time inspecting reinforced concrete or steel structures, although I'm currently inspecting marine timber.

I spend most of my time around wharves and bridges. Although I recently had the pleasure of going down a sewage well.

Wow, this sounds intense. What are you looking for when you inspect?

Alice

(>^.(>0.0)>
    Years
  • I sit at home typing hieroglyphics into my computer so people can have fun looking at pretty colors.

Years
  • I sit at home typing hieroglyphics into my computer so people can have fun looking at pretty colors.

YOU HAVE A PROGRAM THAT CAUSES RAINBOWS!?!?

I work at a supermarket pulling carts and getting trash bags. I've had the job for four years (well, three sort of given that I worked for a majority of the fourth), and it's given me funds that can allow me to benefit myself while living on campus and at home before then.

I've been there. I was a cart pusher at a Walmart for a little over a year in high school. Not a fun job in the summer, nor in the winter.

I work at an engineering consultancy. I spend most of my time inspecting reinforced concrete or steel structures, although I'm currently inspecting marine timber.

This sounds like a job that might not always be enjoyable, but would definitely be interesting. I'm sure you've seen some cool stuff.

Last edited by a moderator:
    Years
  • Wow, this sounds intense. What are you looking for when you inspect?

Defects mostly. We use the information from site to determine remaining asset life and recommend repairs to be done and when to do them.

For reinforced concrete we look for cracking, delamination and spalling as standard. Depending on the environment, we may also check the hardness of the surface. Other testing includes resistivity, impedance measurements and potential mapping of the reinforcement (these allow us to determine corrosion risk, and for impedance measurements an estimation of corrosion rate). We also take samples for detailed testing that may include chemical analysis for chlorides and sulphates. Sometimes we docompressive strength testing. If there is a coating we may test the tensile bond strength of the coating.

Often we are dealing with aged infrastructure and sometimes they have limited or no drawings, so we often need to confirm reinforcement spacing, depth and concrete grade.

Steel is generally more straight forward, involving measure of remaining thickness and weld cracks and identifying any areas of accelerated corrosion. It can get trickier when dealing with certain environments though.

Timber is probably the most complicated, because unlike steel and concrete, you cannot test for timber type if you do not have good documentation (so you may not know exactly what you're dealing with). Timber cracks, blisters, rots and suffers insect damage.

Edit: I should add that we are also starting to see more of the reinforced polymer composites, which I haven't dealt with personally but are also very complicated to assess and predict degradation behaviour.

Edit 2:
    This sounds like a job that might not always be enjoyable, but would definitely be interesting. I'm sure you've seen some cool stuff.

The sewage well was pretty interesting actually (albeit a bit gross). It was amazing how many Q-tips there were down there. They were EVERYWHERE. Don't flush Q-tips down the toilet!

Last edited:
    Years
  • I work at Family Dollar working the cash register, stocking, and keeping the store clean. Been there for six months now but it's temporary as I'm about to wrap my Bachelor's degree in December..

Kyrul

Long Live The Note
    Years
  • Missouri National Guard, still doing extra duty funeral honors even though I said I was going to quit that and I work part time as a diesel mechanic at a local truck stop that has a garage extension too it.

Alexander Nicholi

what do you know about computing?
    Years
  • I'm the GM at Unemployed ****stick, Ltd. Like a boss.

Seriously though, the kind of dream job I want is a little complex. I'd like to be an executive of what I work, but still have a sort of connectivity that a lot of businessmen lack (maybe middlemanagement?). I'd also like to have a bit of room to exercise creativity in my work alongside the managerial aspects, and also doing something I don't hate and aren't ignorant about. A Neapolitan Chief Creative Managerial Executive Officer is what I want to be! :D

Years
    • Age 31
    • Seen Jun 29, 2019
    My current job is at a fairly popular camp site near where I live. Nothing too fancy but for now, it's a stepping stone to get some easy money until I can start going to college where I can hopefully become somewhere along the lines of a therapist at some point in the future.

Raikou

bolt-action thunder
    Years
    • NY
    • Seen Nov 12, 2015
    I work on cars/trucks/auto things. I do a wide varity of stuff in the shop from custom painting, wiring, a bit of engine work, scratches and dents, lots of body work, pinstriping, window tinting, sometimes fixing the computer with the officedude accidentally crashes everything (this happens at least once a month). Usually when the auto/bike shows roll around, we have a tent where people can bring their vehicles in to get them detailed, get small paint jobs, tires/rims.

I've been working there for almost five years and I absolutely love it. There's twelve people working in the four car garage. It's even better when people bring in their classic cars for work, I love 'em. I can literally go into work whenever I want, whether it be 3am or 3pm. So long as there's something to do, I can go in. I love my job.

Limey-chan

Batzu
    Years
  • I work at a cafe, for a catering company, as a Team Leader. It's an okay job, but I regularly have to work overtime due to a combination of being understaffed and having unreliable colleagues.

Shiny Bunnelby

Tolerated, but never celebrated.
    Years
  • I'm a stay-at-home mother, at least for a couple more years. I'm considering getting a couple trade certifications through online courses after I get a laptop, then returning to school for a degree after my daughter begins preschool, or kindergarten.

Years
    • Seen Jan 1, 2023
    I'm working at a clothing store while going to school. I like to add the school part because I truly hate working at a low end job like retail. I get a discount on all the clothes even the ones that are exempt from coupons. Unfortunately it's mostly athletic wear... so far I've bought a jump rope and a water bottle loololol. Part of me wants to find another job and quit this one, but the managers at my current job seem to really like me and have offered me more positions recently and upped my hours. I never want to stay at a job I don't really like just because it's comfortable but starting new somewhere else is such a pain in the ass ughhhh

Back