• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

Which pokemon starter trio is the best?

Wolfieocelot

SWELLOW FOR LYF!!!!
Years
    • Seen Dec 24, 2020
    If I had to rank my favorite trio, worst to best, it would be:
    7.Unova
    6.Kalos
    5.Alola
    4. Johto
    3. Kanto
    2. Sinnoh
    1. Hoenn
    What trio is your favorite?:smile:

Adam Levine

[color=#ffffff][font="Century Gothic"]I have tried
    Years
  • 7. Gen I- Boring. Also it has Charizard so it's a big minus.
    6. Gen II- Boring, but not as much. At least the Totodile line looks cool.
    5. Gen V- The Oshawott line is probably the only truly good starter line.
    4. Gen VII- Good designs, but disappointing final evolutions (stat-wise; looking at you, Decidueye).
    3. Gen IV- Design-wise, a mixed bag- but hey, penguins.
    2. Gen VI- Solid designs- except Quilladin.
    1. Gen III- The absolute pinnacle of starter design. Treecko's, Torchic's, and Mudkip's lines are all great.

Nah

Years
    • Age 31
    • she/her, they/them
    • Seen today
    from best to worst, probably like:

1) Hoenn
    2) Alola
    3) tie - Kanto and Kalos
    4) tie- Sinnoh and Johto
    5) Unova

something like that

Years
  • 1- Sinnoh: The best trio desig-wise, and it was the first time we had a trio that was completely dual-typed in the last stage evolutions.
    2- Hoenn: These are probably the most popular ones, but I don't like things when they are too popular. Objectively, I like both their designs and their reliability in battles, especially their Mega forms.
    3- Kanto: I like their designs (especially the Dragon Charizard and its Y Mega form). Battle-wise they are OK-ish, luckily they can Mega evolve.
    4- Kalos: Only because of the awesome Greninja and because they are fully dual-typed in their 3rd stage evolutions.
    5- Alola: Again, fully dual-typed is something that I love. I woulda loved 'em more if Litten evolved into something more gracious.
    6- Unova: Man I LOVE Serperior, but Emboar and Samurott have some of the worst designs to my taste.
    7- Johto: Their design is simple but at least they look better than Unova's. But the problem is that they are the worst starters for battles, no wonder, they are completely mono-typed and they have very poor movepools on top of it.

Last edited:
    Years
  • It's hard for me to make this list but speaking purely quantitatively (and also I judge purely on aesthetics because I do not care for competitive battle):

Hoenn - three excellent designs I'd always happily use and have happily used on many runs.

2-6 (in no order).
    Kanto
    Johto
    Sinnoh
    Unova
    Alola
    - all have 2 great designs and 1 letting each down.

Kalos - only one great design (Delphox: my second favourite starter ever actually), one sub-par one (Greninja: that horrific tongue is a deal-breaker and I really wish it wasn't part of the design because I'd see myself loving it otherwise) and the other thing which is the worst starter ever made and ruined Grass's perfect run of never having a bad starter.

Years
    • Seen Nov 9, 2018
    1. Three way tie, kanto, hoenn, and sinnoh. Of course the original starters are at the top for me partly due to it was them that got me into pokemon to begin with. I love all three design wise with my favorite being blastoise. And after Megas were introduced they all became quite viable. Third gen were games i played through the most out of any pokemon games. All three starters have great designs with my favorite being sceptile. And again the megas give them(especially swampert BEEFCAKE LOL) a cool new spin. And finally Unova, three amazing designs with my favorite being emopleon. TEN resists and the trident facemask just makes it for me. All three are very solid choices.

2. Johto - johto has great designs all around and is the only game to have mono-type starters. Feraligatr is my favorite starter ever and both typhlosion and meganium look great. Though meganium is really lackluster playwise.

3. Kalos - Solid designs with Chestnaught and Greninja with Delphox being not my cup of tea( fur out the ears is just weird to me), Protean OP. And Chestnaught walls are tons of fun to use.

4. Unova - Serperior hands down one of the best starter designs of any starter. Elegant and sleek. Other two designs are OK. Emboar is kind of a glass cannon with reckless and samurott never had much appeal for me.

5. Alola - Great designs all around but lackluster stats on all except Primarina who makes a great wallbreaker with solid bulk.

Years
    • Seen Jun 28, 2021
    Quite hard since I usually at least like at least one and dislike another one. I'll give it a try.

1. Gen I, II and III (Probably nostalgia but I love Sceptile, Feraligatr and Venusaur)
    2. Gen IV
    3. Gen VII
    4. Gen VI
    5. Gen V

Wicked3DS

[b]Until the very end.[/b]
    Years
  • My favorites have always been Gen I and Gen III. I always have the hardest time picking a starter in Gen III the most.

Years
    • Seen today
    7: Gen 5 - Even though I love Serperior, all starters here are disappointing in a way. Serperior's movepool leaves something to be desired, Emboar is the third Fire/Fighting starter in a row, and Samurott should've gotten the Fighting type but didn't.
    6: Gen 2 - I love the Totodile line, the others are alright but the Chikorita line has a bad movepool and the Cyndaquil line is a bit overrated IMO.
    5: Gen 7 - The Litten line is my favourite here. I also like the Rowlet line. Primarina is alright, but I don't like Popplio and Brionne. I think they drag Primarina down.
    4: Gen 6 - I love the Froakie line. I really like the Fennekin line, including Delphox. I like Chesnaught too, though I used to not like Chespin and Quilladin. I've warmed up to them over time, though.
    3: Gen 4 - Love the Chimchar and Piplup lines. The Turtwig line is okay IMO.
    2: Gen 1 - I love all the starters here, although I favour Venusaur.
    1: Gen 3 - All starters are phenomenal here. Choosing one of them is so hard!

Years
    • Seen Dec 13, 2019
    Gen 2 and 3 are the only games where I have done thorough playthroughs of each of the 3 starters so those get top billing for me.

Lycanthropy

[cd=font-family:Special Elite;font-size:16px;color
    Years
  • Sinnoh > Hoenn > Alola > Kanto > Kalos >>>>> Johto > Unova

Fennekin is the only reason Kalos isn't joining Johto and Unova at the far right tbh.

Back